Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Whirling posted:

you ever think how unpleasant it must be to have to drink a big rear end health potion in like three seconds during a fight? it'd be like chugging a big gulp full of pepto-bismol

If drinking a potion healed ne of every health problem I had at that moment I wouldn't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Whirling posted:

you ever think how unpleasant it must be to have to drink a big rear end health potion in like three seconds during a fight? it'd be like chugging a big gulp full of pepto-bismol

it’s more like chugging a cup of lean which sounds cool to me

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

What was your favorite Oblivion DLC? Don't say Shivering Isles because gently caress you too easy. I'm going with The Orrery.

But also Shivering Isles is the best elder scrolls

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
i played morrowind on an original Xbox where the load times were like 5 minutes and I still loved it, it added danger because if I died I was very annoyed at having to wait through it loading lol

I was also in college and played on a projector on the wall in my apartment so it really seemed like larger than life, combined with being a type of game I had never played before, that big open world type of thing, good moments in gaming for me

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
worst are floaty white girl accoustic cover garbage

god drat that one Xbox game with the floaty white girl x gunna give it to ya was so loving bad. I think the game flopped doa

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I never used console commands to fast travel in Morrowind, because it had like twenty in-game systems for fast traveling as it was, between boats, mage guild travel, the propylon indexes between the old Dunmer strongholds, and doing a 1-point constant slowfall enchant and a 500-magnitude jump enchant and just leaping across continents.

Morrowind wasn't actually a good game but I had a lot of fun with it for a while.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Mr Hootington posted:

It is. The fun came from breaking the game.

People have rose colored glasses for morrowind, but oblivion was a huge step up for combat, movement, and everything else. What made people angry about oblivion is the game was much harder to break.

The big failure of Oblivion was the level scaling that made the game just suck for a bunch of builds.

Outside of that I agree, the movement and combat feel way better. World is more boring, but still lots of fun.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

docbeard posted:

I never used console commands to fast travel in Morrowind, because it had like twenty in-game systems for fast traveling as it was, between boats, mage guild travel, the propylon indexes between the old Dunmer strongholds, and doing a 1-point constant slowfall enchant and a 500-magnitude jump enchant and just leaping across continents.

Morrowind wasn't actually a good game but I had a lot of fun with it for a while.

you also had recall, two forms of intervention, levitation and super speed

absolutely shameful posts itt

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

morrowind is very fun to break and i wish more games werent so terrified that the player might have too much fun with their systems

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

if by fast travel console commands, you mean cheating your acrobatics skill to 10000 and jumping across the entire map, then yes, i did

Cheating in more of the jump scrolls is a moral duty.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mr Hootington posted:

It is. The fun came from breaking the game.

People have rose colored glasses for morrowind, but oblivion was a huge step up for combat, movement, and everything else. What made people angry about oblivion is the game was much harder to break.

yea removing all of the fun movement and navigation bs and making the combat more tedious was a huge step up

oblivion ftw

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I hope the Pillars of Eternity RPG is good. It probably won't be but I still hope

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

if by fast travel console commands, you mean cheating your acrobatics skill to 10000 and jumping across the entire map, then yes, i did

I would speedrun getting the boots of blinding speed and then cast a 1 sec resist magic spell to counter the blinding effect

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've got a job for you 621. You have to get Starfield for free. Here's one method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy87RWy9DU8

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

morrowind is very fun to break and i wish more games werent so terrified that the player might have too much fun with their systems

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

fantasy video games should always tell you how their fantasy drinks and food taste. i need to know what sujamma and flin taste like

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Yup!! Design the stuff well and balanced for normies but also let me break that poo poo. I do kinda like that Oblivion had an ingame reason for no levitation because wizards kept doing dumb poo poo with it though lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
some of my fondest memories of gaming were leading other 13 y/o's on pilgrimages past the invisible walls of Burial Mounds and Zanzibar

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

One More Fat Nerd posted:

The big failure of Oblivion was the level scaling that made the game just suck for a bunch of builds.

Outside of that I agree, the movement and combat feel way better. World is more boring, but still lots of fun.

I remember the monster overhaul mods making it better. No level scaling made the world more dangerous along with more monster variety helped with the boring world a lot.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
People are doing amazing things in Armored Core.

https://twitter.com/Xaniken/status/1696678027239796960?s=20

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

world of Warcraft hardcore is good.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Gumball Gumption posted:

I remember the monster overhaul mods making it better. No level scaling made the world more dangerous along with more monster variety helped with the boring world a lot.

That German mod for Skyrim called Endreal has no* level scaling and it's such an improvement for exploration and progression. Very fun mod

*maybe really minor scaling like this zone is enemies between level 10-15 etc but it's still a huge step up

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress that's so good

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Gumball Gumption posted:

entire armies of bandits in full endgame gear trying to rob you of 100 gold

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
is there a list of all the video game references on Fortnite island? one place looks like the Death Stranding mountain area and one looks life Stranglethorn Vale

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I assure all the naysayers that nothing interesting happens when walking from Balmora to the silt strider from the silt strider to the Foreign Quarter canton in Vivec and from there to the one random book store that's actually a front for the Thieves Guild. Just type in coc, "Vivec, Simine Fralinie: Bookseller" after the first time you've been there and save yourself two or three minutes.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

RealityWarCriminal posted:

is there a list of all the video game references on Fortnite island? one place looks like the Death Stranding mountain area and one looks life Stranglethorn Vale

https://fortnite.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:TheYLabsTwin/List_of_references_in_Fortnite:_Battle_Royale%27s_collaborations/crossovers

I learned that Mike Lowry is in fortnite. There are definitely more than what is listed.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC4o72ANWJo

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/charlieINTEL/status/1696916398851735973 imagine if your job was training a computer to recognize every gamer word

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Oblivion's combat was real bad and everything looked hideous, it is pretty interesting the little scraps of the original Radiant AI that are still in it though like that one orc lady who will try and clear dungeons or the goblin wars thing. That kinda things always been more interesting to me than an epic tale

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BONGHITZ posted:

world of Warcraft hardcore is good.

there was some recent drama in the community because some months back, a number of players at a top guild allegedly begged to have their hardcore characters restored after they'd already died

a player from another guild was so upset at this that he left the guild that he was in, asked to join this other top guild, managed to embed himself into their top ranks, became a regular tank as they raided all the way up to Classic Naxxramas...

... and then, during the Four Horsemen fight, deliberately dragged the Holy Wrath horseman into range of the entire guild, wiping them (including himself) with no chance of escape - killing the entire hardcore roster in one fell swoop

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

It only seems like that when reality my gimmick is posting about playing and enjoying games a majority of goons do not. This is why my posts stand out.

But at least like 1/3 of your posts are just insulting other peoples' tastes, particularly if Zelda or another Nintendo game comes up. So clearly it isn't about enjoying games, or you'd be happy about other people enjoying Zelda

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
AI moderator resistant slurs

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

there was some recent drama in the community because some months back, a number of players at a top guild allegedly begged to have their hardcore characters restored after they'd already died

a player from another guild was so upset at this that he left the guild that he was in, asked to join this other top guild, managed to embed himself into their top ranks, became a regular tank as they raided all the way up to Classic Naxxramas...

... and then, during the Four Horsemen fight, deliberately dragged the Holy Wrath horseman into range of the entire guild, wiping them (including himself) with no chance of escape - killing the entire hardcore roster in one fell swoop

good for him

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

gradenko_2000 posted:

lmao that kicks rear end. it’s making me have respect for MMOs

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

who the gently caress even has time for 1-60 classic let alone HC raiding lmao

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Orb Crabmelt posted:

I assure all the naysayers that nothing interesting happens when walking from Balmora to the silt strider from the silt strider to the Foreign Quarter canton in Vivec and from there to the one random book store that's actually a front for the Thieves Guild. Just type in coc, "Vivec, Simine Fralinie: Bookseller" after the first time you've been there and save yourself two or three minutes.

just fortify your speed and athletics by 2k and fly there in 3 seconds you noob

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Palladium posted:

who the gently caress even has time for 1-60 classic let alone HC raiding lmao

Classic is such a "solved problem" that raiding isn't really as time consuming as it used to be; the reason why hardcore is considered a playstyle at all is that demanding that kind of perfection is the only way that some people can inject a level of challenge into the game anymore, similar to speedrunning

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Some celestial event. No- no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea

evilmiera posted:

Which Wasteland?

Also I hope we get a Wasteland 4 at some point. And even a Fallout 5. Outer Worlds 2? Sure why not.

Its not like its Star Citizen where its release will be a detriment to literally everyone involved in either making or buying it.

I liked wasteland 2 more than 3 for some reason, still haven't played the first one. Really I'll take whatever I can get if it's even vaguely reminiscent of fallout 1

There's games out there for everyone now it's a great time for gamers