Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Phillies will sign him for 10/450

I saw this in a dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I’m glad that despite his injury, Shohei Ohtani will still be able to fulfill his lifelong dream of playing for the Texas Rangers.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I would be extremely surprised if Ohtani left the west coast. If you're looking for a dark horse then maybe the Giants.

But like 90% he'll either re-sign with the Angels or go to the Dodgers

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

euphronius posted:

I saw this in a dream.

this is the only logical resolution to the Phillies' long-term "DHs only" strategy

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He also pitches

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

euphronius posted:

He also pitches

I have bad news

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

UCL stands for “unneeded collateral ligament” so as long as his needed ones are ok he’s fine

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

euphronius posted:

UCL stands for “unneeded collateral ligament” so as long as his needed ones are ok he’s fine

I mean it's true for RA Dickey

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

euphronius posted:

Worked for RA Dickey, maybe he’ll just throw a knuckler for the rest of the year and somehow throw nothing but perfect games

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The UCL tear is apparently in a different place from his first one and also not as severe.

If anyone who ever lived could return to top form after two TJs....

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No one is going to let him pitch

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

zoux posted:

he won't sign anywhere that won't let him pitch though?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

euphronius posted:

I saw this in a dream.

Hell yeah

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

lmao yes they absolutely will. And by all accounts the fastest way to get Ohtani to turn down your offer is to tell him he'd strictly be just a hitter.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Pay him whatever he wants, it's not my money, I don't give a gently caress

Also you could throw $700 million at him and you'd make all of it back in a year or two on ticket sales and merch

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Money isn't real

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

euphronius posted:

He also pitches

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sydin posted:

lmao yes they absolutely will. And by all accounts the fastest way to get Ohtani to turn down your offer is to tell him he'd strictly be just a hitter.

Well hopefully he saw how that worked out for him

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

Well hopefully he saw how that worked out for him

It's lined him up for a historically large FA contract even after an injury that's going to keep him off the mound for 18 months, because being both an ace and an MVP-caliber hitter is that valuable? :confused:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I think he was referring to the fact Shohei has been playing for the Angels all these years

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah he could've been hitting or pitching (probably hitting) for New York or SF or LA instead of creating a new standard by which a team's utter incompetence can be judged.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

Let him pitch until his elbow blows up and then he just reverts back to the status quo of being a DH only. Have him get Tommy John surgery ever couple of years. At least his nasty blisters will get a chance to heal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

$450 million can be exchanged for many pitchers and hitters.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

:vince:

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Upset NY Yankee fan has a new video - Philly fans you are on alert

https://twitter.com/TalkinYanks/status/1696702907364581875?s=20

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

euphronius posted:

I saw this in a dream.

Phillies to be the first team with 9 DHs

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If your center fielder and shortstop are awesome you can get away with the whole rest of your team being DHs. See: mid-90s Cleveland

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

Yeah he could've been hitting or pitching (probably hitting) for New York or SF or LA instead of creating a new standard by which a team's utter incompetence can be judged.

Is this era of the Angels going to be looked back on as one of the largest flubs in MLB, hell maybe sports history? Two no-doubt HoF talents in Trout and Ohtani who for a while were basically 1a and 1b for best MLB players on the planet, plus tons of FA spending, and in the entire stretch they were never even a .500 team and didn't make it to a single post season game.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sydin posted:

Is this era of the Angels going to be looked back on as one of the largest flubs in MLB, hell maybe sports history? Two no-doubt HoF talents in Trout and Ohtani who for a while were basically 1a and 1b for best MLB players on the planet, plus tons of FA spending, and in the entire stretch they were never even a .500 team and didn't make it to a single post season game.
Probably. Between them getting super lucky drafting Trout, and then ending up with Ohtani and him being an all-time great, most teams never get any of that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is that a tweet of a video of a man talking in front of a tweet ?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sydin posted:

I'm already looking back on it like that! The fact that they traded the top half of their farm for a bunch of dudes they waived before a month is insane!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Eric the Mauve posted:

If your center fielder and shortstop are awesome you can get away with the whole rest of your team being DHs. See: mid-90s Cleveland

How dare you make me remember the years of Jim Thome, Third Baseman

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

Is that a tweet of a video of a man talking in front of a tweet ?

Tweetception

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Sydin posted:

I had similar vibes about the Tulo/CarGo era Rockies, two MVP-caliber players who wasted away with little to show for it. But Colorado never really attempted to push their chips all-in for one run at a title. I don't know if that makes them more foolish for not trying, or smarter than Arte Moreno for not giving away half the farm system on a long-shot bet.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don’t think I accept the premise that a player is “wasted” if they’re not on a winning team. They’re still providing entertainment for the fans, and they’re still building a body of work that they can hopefully find personal satisfaction in and dine on for years to come.

Does anybody give a poo poo today how many rings or WS appearances Sandy Koufax or Willie Mays had?

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
AL Central is the gift the keeps on giving. Gleeman pointed out on their podcast today that if the Twins make waiver claims on any of the dudes out there, being a middling division leader positions them better than several wild card teams to land their player of choice. Brilliant league structure imo

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Milovan Drecun posted:

AL Central is the gift the keeps on giving. Gleeman pointed out on their podcast today that if the Twins make waiver claims on any of the dudes out there, being a middling division leader positions them better than several wild card teams to land their player of choice. Brilliant league structure imo

show yourself Gleeman you've been reading my posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

IcePhoenix posted:

show yourself Gleeman you've been reading my posts

Lmao I missed you saying that. Astute!

Edit: I do want them to target a reliever, and Bader would probably be an upgrade over Luplow. I doubt they get anyone, though, since the roster is already about to face a crunch and they've shown commitment to the roster as constructed.

Milovan Drecun fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 30, 2023