Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I went with the used OOP Artificial Eye disc they had on sale at Orbit DVD. I know the aspect ratio is slightly cropped, but it's the easiest on my pocket book right now. I'll ask for the 4Ks as a holiday gift so I can be a completist.

Also, 30% off all used media at Orbit DVD until 11pm Eastern today. Sick deals can be had

ultraviolence123 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I just found my Sony Pictures Classics 2046 DVD that I excitedly pre-ordered a million years ago, then thought I lost in a move. Sadly even this one is listing at 30ish on ebay. Revisionism is wack.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

zer0spunk posted:

bro, they really asking COLUMBO fans not to investigate?

uhh just one more thing der mister lorber

I like the part where arrows like let us not gently caress this up like we have in the past. I was under the impression blackhat was a cheese fest, was I wrong on this one?

Blackhat rules and me and the two other dudes in the theater I saw it with that day all agree. Top 5 Mann.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

dorium posted:

Blackhat rules and me and the two other dudes in the theater I saw it with that day all agree. Top 5 Mann.

Well we're not talking about the most prolific director here, Mann has only directed 12 films. For me the obvious top-3 are Thief, Manhunter and Heat, and then after that you can get into debates about what 4 and 5 should be(for me it's Collateral and The Keep).

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Basebf555 posted:

Well we're not talking about the most prolific director here, Mann has only directed 12 films. For me the obvious top-3 are Thief, Manhunter and Heat, and then after that you can get into debates about what 4 and 5 should be(for me it's Collateral and The Keep).

Same but replace The Keep with The Insider

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Same but replace The Keep with The Insider

Yea I would assume The Insider would be on most lists, I'm an outlier when it comes to how much I like The Keep. Which sucks because apparently Mann hates it, so we'll probably never see a proper blu ray release.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I'd probably do Thief / Collateral / Miami Vice but I like the blown out digital era

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Love being American and only being able to get Manhunter in a 2-pack with some Saw-rear end cover art

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

OrbitDVD has a UHD of Cutthroat Island coming out next month. The action scenes and sets are lots of fun if you can get past the terrible script. I almost bought the Blu-ray recently, so maybe holding off was the right decision.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's one(Manhunter) that I maybe should consider selling before a UHD gets announced. My Shout Factory blu ray is going for around $100 these days.

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

FrumpleOrz posted:

What average person is buying 4K stuff though?

What average person is buying Columbo on Blu-ray?

Anyway, KL were "LOL no-one would buy 4K Columbo", which goes against their use of "4K" as an advertising point.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

That's one(Manhunter) that I maybe should consider selling before a UHD gets announced. My Shout Factory blu ray is going for around $100 these days.

hmmm good point. maybe i should toss that onto ebay one of these days soon.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

dorium posted:

hmmm good point. maybe i should toss that onto ebay one of these days soon.

I always say that but I never do it because hey what if I want to watch my Manhunter blu ray sometime soon!

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Casimir Radon posted:

OrbitDVD has a UHD of Cutthroat Island coming out next month. The action scenes and sets are lots of fun if you can get past the terrible script. I almost bought the Blu-ray recently, so maybe holding off was the right decision.

You should check out the screen caps because apparently they made some big color adjustments towards yellow/gold that might not be for everyone.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so my wife bought me a copy of 'the shiver of the vampires' not knowing i already had one. anybody interested for $25? pm me if interested. shipping included there. sealed and all. brand new. or if you're in tucson and want to swing by or have me swing by, can do that too.

or if there's a better thread for me to post this, just direct me. doesn't seem worth a thread in sa-mart.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

abelwingnut posted:

so my wife bought me a copy of 'the shiver of the vampires' not knowing i already had one. anybody interested for $25? pm me if interested. shipping included there. sealed and all. brand new. or if you're in tucson and want to swing by or have me swing by, can do that too.

or if there's a better thread for me to post this, just direct me. doesn't seem worth a thread in sa-mart.

is this the 4K version? Interested if so.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

yep. can send photos if you like. should we take it to pm?

e: sold

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 30, 2023

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Heads up, a whole lot of stuff is now in the OOP section at VS.

All the Amityville single releases
Bloodsuckers from Outer Space
Blood Theatre/The Visitants
Body Melt
Cutting Class
Dear Dead Delilah
Def by Temptation
The Rudy Ray Moore boxset and the single releases
Disconnected
Hellmaster
Lust in the Dust
Mountaintop Motel Massacre
Party Line
Penitentiary I and II
Play Dead
Snapshot
Splatter University
The Incubus
Uninvited
Wacko
Welcome Home Brother Charles/Emma Mae

So if it's on the list and you haven't got them yet, this weekend is the time to get 'em because they're probably going to be gone.

EDIT:
Also, all DVD-only releases are going to be on clearance ($5 each) because they're all going OOP.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Thanks for posting that, I’ve been thinking about getting that Rudy Ray Moore set so I snagged a copy before they’re gone.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Hopefully that Rudy Ray Moore set will still be available during the Labor Day sale. Definitely want that.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Do I actually need to own Body Melt on physical media? No. Will I get stoned and order it this weekend? Very probably.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Welcome Home Brother Charles and Emma Mae are both very good movies.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Hopefully that Rudy Ray Moore set will still be available during the Labor Day sale. Definitely want that.

:same:

I don't have it in me to pull the trigger on anything until the 1st. Sale, and 19 new release announcements

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

:same:
19 new release announcements

They are genuinely trying to kill me, I’m convinced of it. And fine with it

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Gotta get Cutting Class and the Rudy set now I guess… sorry government you won’t be getting student loan checks anytime soon

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

PinkoBastard posted:

They are genuinely trying to kill me, I’m convinced of it. And fine with it

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I really don't like the way they plaster RESTORED IN 4K everywhere. It's not hard for people like us to know what it actually means, but they're definitely going to trick the average person into thinking they're 4K discs.

I'd probably use "New 4K restorations by Universal" instead of "Restored in 4K" as that's how Criterion usually phrases it. Must be a contractual thing as Kino puzzlingly omitted the fact that The Lady from Shanghai and Hardcore are from 4K restorations.

While 4K being the resolution for restoration or scanning, most of the time it's more to do with future-proofing and preservation than 4K actually being a necessary resolution for the presentation. Like there's zero reason for UHDs of stuff like the Universal silents Kino has been releasing even though the work was done in 4K.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I didn’t realize there was another sale coming up. The set’s already 40% off SRP so even if it does happen to be included the price isn’t likely to be very different.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Ugh ok I ordered that Rudy Ray Moore set. Cutting Class soon. I at least knew tho I’d regret putting off Rudy tho down the line. I liked Cutting Class but I’d be ok with a digital copy.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

gey muckle mowser posted:

I didn’t realize there was another sale coming up. The set’s already 40% off SRP so even if it does happen to be included the price isn’t likely to be very different.

Yeah, I'm not expecting the price to drop more, I'm just thinking in terms of "oh god what the gently caress else am I gonna have to order from there this week, better at least make it all in one payment/come in one shipped box" :negative: 37.5 more hours

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
i want to inflict violence on whoever said Southland Tales was good, actually

you loving liars

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I, Butthole posted:

you loving liars

Southland Tales loving owns

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

I think heat really bought him a few decades of goodwill..depending on how old you are you can replace heat with manhunter

At least even his misfires are entertaining in the spectacle sense..I remember thinking how weird his whole video look choice was for public enemies..it literally negates all the good period costume and set design

The "I'm a fiend for mojitos" boat ride bought Mann a lifetime of goodwill IMO

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/BradFHenderson/status/1697248876787535934

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

I, Butthole posted:

you loving liars

Did you watch the Cannes cut? I haven’t yet but apparently it makes a difference. I didn’t really enjoy the theatrical cut but it’s hard to justify watching an even longer version of a film I didn’t like much

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Somewhere Gripweed is getting ready to fight and isn't sure why

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

gently caress, that’s way better than the old slip. If I were an insane person I’d probably buy it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Just gimme wnuf2 on bluray

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m intrigued by it but I know it’s gonna be another let down. No way they’re gonna give me the goods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well the release date for Legend of Boggy Creek came and went, no sign that it actually is available to buy. Not very surprised to be honest, it always seemed like one of those releases that would be delayed a bunch of times.