Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tony Phillips posted:

Yep and Amen.

I was paying out of pocket for an Xarelto Rx for a cat and filling a script for ten 10mg tablets ran about $170. Said 10 pills would last 40 days.

Depending on what you're treating, typical human doses can be 20mg a day, possibly 15mg twice a day. 30 10mg tablets? $550+ for the month.

And without looking, I assume there are 1000 drugs that make this sound cheap.

gently caress them.

Oh yeah Americans are getting soaked

This is Januvia

The study concluded that the US was overpaying for the six index drugs in their study (three of which are now on the negotiable list) by $5.1 billion a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Tony Phillips posted:

Yep and Amen.

I was paying out of pocket for an Xarelto Rx for a cat and filling a script for ten 10mg tablets ran about $170. Said 10 pills would last 40 days.

Depending on what you're treating, typical human doses can be 20mg a day, possibly 15mg twice a day. 30 10mg tablets? $550+ for the month.

gently caress them.

Yeah, gently caress their prices and gently caress their whining about "stifling innovation". I don't give a poo poo what other treatments they lie about spending money on instead of CEO hookers and blow. I won't be able to afford that poo poo either so what good does it to me to have these treatments being developed?

And, to put further lie to their bullshit talking points, all this is doing is letting the "invisible hand of the free market" they claim to worship when it's jerking them off under the table, take effect. It's not GUBBERMINT DEATH PANELS. It's letting negotiations take place. Turns out they're just on the greedy fuckers side of the market forces and have been writing the laws to benefit themselves for decades.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

bird food bathtub posted:

Yeah, gently caress their prices and gently caress their whining about "stifling innovation". I don't give a poo poo what other treatments they lie about spending money on instead of CEO hookers and blow. I won't be able to afford that poo poo either so what good does it to me to have these treatments being developed?

And, to put further lie to their bullshit talking points, all this is doing is letting the "invisible hand of the free market" they claim to worship when it's jerking them off under the table, take effect. It's not GUBBERMINT DEATH PANELS. It's letting negotiations take place. Turns out they're just on the greedy fuckers side of the market forces and have been writing the laws to benefit themselves for decades.

The one thing they are kind of correct about is that the negotiations aren't "normal" or "fair" negotiations because the government will kick them out of Medicare and Medicaid if they don't comply - which is 40% to 60% of the income for some of these companies.

But... they are also essentially admitting with that argument that about half of their entire business model revolves around them soaking up American taxpayer money while getting special legal protections that shield them from the bad parts of "the free market" in their industry.

Not that they care about that, but it is funny that they are semi-legitimately pointing out "this isn't a normal or fair negotiation because the government has so much leverage it can wield to cut us out from markets we need to survive!" at the same time as they are admitting that the only reason it is "unfair" is because they have been getting subsidized by tax dollars buying their product at above market rate for so long.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The one thing they are kind of correct about is that the negotiations aren't "normal" or "fair" negotiations because the government will kick them out of Medicare and Medicaid if they don't comply - which is 40% to 60% of the income for some of these companies.

But... they are also essentially admitting with that argument that about half of their entire business model revolves around them soaking up American taxpayer money while getting special legal protections that shield them from the bad parts of "the free market" in their industry.

Not that they care about that, but it is funny that they are semi-legitimately pointing out "this isn't a normal or fair negotiation because the government has so much leverage it can wield to cut us out from markets we need to survive!" at the same time as they are admitting that the only reason it is "unfair" is because they have been getting subsidized by tax dollars buying their product at above market rate for so long.

It's still weaker leverage than what they hold over people who don't want to die without their drugs.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

I'm sorry, I must be educated stupid, but is this an article suggesting the Republicans attack Biden for keeping drug prices low?

But the innovation! Pharma companies will completely stop innovating if they can't make infinite profits!!!

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It's good to remember that the Trump tax cuts were unpopular, possibly the first time that's happened, and had a lot of dumb gimmicks like the payroll tax holiday which went over very poorly.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Quixzlizx posted:

It's still weaker leverage than what they hold over people who don't want to die without their drugs.

Right, it's just funny because their argument is basically:

"Look, we've been stealing from your wallet every day for twenty years. Now that you have started locking your doors, it threatens my family and stability because I have based my entire life for the last two decades around being able to steal your wallet whenever I want. Think of how unfair it is that you have the power to disrupt how I've lived my life for the last 20 years with just a single decision?!?"

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

threatening Medicare reimbursement is actually very normal and is essentially the only way the government is able to force compliance with healthcare regulations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FizFashizzle posted:

threatening Medicare reimbursement is actually very normal and is essentially the only way the government is able to force compliance with healthcare regulations.

Yes, but they are (as a PR strategy) whining that it isn't a "fair" negotiation because they have so much leverage over them. They are arguing that the "right" way to negotiate is for everyone to come to the table completely blank slate with no outside influence at all and just talk about it to see if they can reach an agreement. "If they can't agree, then they can't agree. That's how a negotiation is supposed to work. This isn't a real negotiation."

But, even if you accept the premise of their argument, it is based on the idea that the only reason the government has so much leverage is because they have based their entire business model around extracting above-market prices from the U.S. government and U.S. consumer via regulations protecting them from "the free market" during price negotiations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yes, but they are (as a PR strategy) whining that it isn't a "fair" negotiation because they have so much leverage over them. They are arguing that the "right" way to negotiate is for everyone to come to the table completely blank slate with no outside influence at all and just talk about. "If they can't agree, then they can't agree. That's how a negotiation is supposed to work. This isn't a real negotiation."

But, even if you accept the premise of their argument, it is based on the idea that the only reason the government has so much leverage is because they have based their entire business model around extracting above-market prices from the U.S. government and U.S. consumer via regulations protecting them from "the free market" during price negotiations.

Weird that they only care about unfair leverage when it's the government doing it and not private firms.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Morrow posted:

It's good to remember that the Trump tax cuts were unpopular, possibly the first time that's happened, and had a lot of dumb gimmicks like the payroll tax holiday which went over very poorly.
Who came up with the idea to do the Covid stimulus checks? I assume it wasn't Trump himself.

The reality with the current GOP is that the only thing that fires up the base is culture war. Years ago you could campaign against the debt or whatever, but people don't give a poo poo about that anymore and they want to make other people suffer.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

Who came up with the idea to do the Covid stimulus checks? I assume it wasn't Trump himself.

The first proposed covid stimulus checks were from:

- Rep. Nita Lowey
- Rep. Nancy Pelosi
- Rep. Raúl Grijalva
- Rep. Eliot Engel
- Rep. Frank Pallone
- Senator Ed Markey
- Senator Chuck Schumer
- Senator Bernie Sanders
- Senator Maria Cantwell
- Senator Mazie Hirono

They were proposed in two different committees in the House and Senate, but they died in favor of the CARES Act to get a stimulus bill passed in the Senate. They later tried to bring the same legislation back as "The Heroes Act" in May 2020. That also died again and parts of it were again incorporated into a second stimulus bill to make it passable in the Republican Senate and signable by Trump.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 30, 2023

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Angry_Ed posted:

Weird that they only care about unfair leverage when it's the government doing it and not private firms.

The free market can accurately hurt me when I'm not subverting it? UNFAIR.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Department of Health and Human Services has finally finished its legally required review of marijuana's health effects and decided to recommend rescheduling it.

Now, the DEA has to perform a legally required review period before making a decision on whether to reschedule it.

The HHS is recommending moving marijuana from Schedule I to Schedule III.

Schedule III drugs are drugs that "have legitimate medical usage, have a lower potential for abuse, have a low risk of physical addiction, have a moderate-to-high risk of psychological dependence, and can be safely used without direct medical supervision."

This would put it at the same level as Tylenol with Codeine or prescription testosterone under federal law and allow it to be prescribed for medicinal purposes nationwide.

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1696921780626055373

quote:

HHS Calls for Moving Marijuana to Lower-Risk US Drug Category

US health officials are recommending easing restrictions on marijuana, a move that sets the stage for potentially expanding the cannabis market.

A top official at the Department of Health and Human Services wrote Drug Enforcement Agency administrator Anne Milgram calling for marijuana to be reclassified as a Schedule III drug under the Controlled Substances Act, according to a letter dated Aug. 29 seen by Bloomberg News. This would mark a critical shift from its current status as a Schedule I substance, which includes drugs with a high abuse risk like heroin.

Assistant Secretary for Health Rachel Levine said in the letter that her recommendation was based on a Food and Drug Administration review of marijuana’s classification. The Controlled Substances Act places substances regulated under federal law into one of five schedules based on its medical use, potential for abuse, and safety or dependence liability.

Marijuana’s current classification as a schedule I substance indicates a high potential for abuse with no accepted medical use in the US and a lack of accepted safety for use under medical supervision. Though many US states have allowed use of marijuana, only the FDA has the federal authority to approve drugs for medicinal use across the US.

HHS and DEA didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment.

In October, President Joe Biden rolled out initiatives focused on marijuana, including a pardon of all prior federal offenses of simple possession, while urging governors to do the same with state offenses. As a part of the effort, Biden asked the HHS secretary and the US Attorney General to initiate the administrative process to review how marijuana is scheduled under federal law.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 30, 2023

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why not? "If I give people money they will like me" isn't some galaxy-brained idea. That's why Trump wanted his signature on the checks so bad.

And before someone says "that's not how it works," yes, I know. Trump probably doesn't/didn't, and I'm willing to bet most Americans don't, either. That's besides the point; it's about appearances.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

The Politico article notes this and I have said this a few times, but I am legitimately surprised that there is basically no official healthcare or TAX policy platforms from any of the Republican candidates. Promises of big tax cuts seem like an easy lay up for an applause line in a stump speech. Previously, a signature tax cut plan was the first thing they put out (9-9-9, Bush tax cuts, Trump tax cuts, flat tax, fair tax, eliminating the income tax, Romney's idea to raise taxes on the 47% of "takers," etc.)

The only major policy specifics they have released are about transgender minors and immigration.

Tax cuts are a yawner now, really

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Judgy Fucker posted:

Why not? "If I give people money they will like me" isn't some galaxy-brained idea. That's why Trump wanted his signature on the checks so bad.

And before someone says "that's not how it works," yes, I know. Trump probably doesn't/didn't, and I'm willing to bet most Americans don't, either. That's besides the point; it's about appearances.

Trump was also the one insisting that covid was not a big deal and everyone should just get back to normal

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Tony Phillips posted:

Yep and Amen.

gently caress them.

I have a prescription that I haven't filled because the drug isn't covered by my insurance and is $500 a month, though there's a $80 card from the manufacturer. It really sucks.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Edit 2: Mike Pence is the only "major" candidate I can find that even bothered to put a policies page up and it only has 4 sections:

- Ending inflation
- Energy Expansion
- Expanding Federalism
- Day 1 Executive Orders
It's kind of sad and adorable how he's still living in an era where Republican voters care about specific policies or plans beyond whatever the flavor of the week is on Fox News.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah he needs to add "hang myself" if he wants to get anywhere

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

haveblue posted:

Trump was also the one insisting that covid was not a big deal and everyone should just get back to normal

What does that have to do with anything?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

The Department of Health and Human Services has finally finished its legally required review of marijuana's health effects and decided to recommend rescheduling it.

Now, the DEA has to perform a legally required review period before making a decision on whether to reschedule it.

The HHS is recommending moving marijuana from Schedule I to Schedule III.

Schedule III drugs are drugs that "have legitimate medical usage, have a lower potential for abuse, have a low risk of physical addiction, have a moderate-to-high risk of psychological dependence, and can be safely used without direct medical supervision."

This would put it at the same level as Tylenol with Codeine or prescription testosterone under federal law and allow it to be prescribed for medicinal purposes nationwide.

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1696921780626055373

Biden doing this (or god forbid even more legalization than rescheduling) basically cruises to victory in 2024 right

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

haveblue posted:

To be fair to Trump, he didn't come up with the idea for stimulus checks or even ask for them in the first stimulus bill. But, during the second stimulus bill debate, Senate Republicans wanted $300 checks or no checks and Dems wanted bigger checks.

Trump's only demands for the second bill were:

- More than $300 for the checks
- Create the PPP loan program
- Change how businesses can calculate depreciation on taxes
- Changes in how the federal bonus unemployment insurance benefits were managed

It seems likely that his support of checks higher than $300 pushed enough Senate Republicans to not fight about it and resulted in a smooth path to the second round of higher stimulus checks.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 30, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/tylerkingkade/status/1696696986488218085

While it would be maddening if it were just because of Libs of Tiktok, it's even worse because the head of pub ed in OK shared the video which has resulted in six days of bomb threats

quote:

The threats began the same day that Walters retweeted a post from a day earlier on the conservative provocateur account Libs of TikTok, which featured a video of a librarian at Union Public Schools. The video shows the librarian walking next to a book shelf with the text “POV: teachers in your state are dropping like flies but you are still just not quite finished pushing your woke agenda at the public school.” That’s different from the caption that the librarian originally posted on her TikTok account, which Libs of TikTok removed: “My radical liberal agenda is teaching kids to love books and be kind — hbu??”

When Walters retweeted the Libs of TikTok post to his nearly 10,000 followers, he added: “Woke ideology is real and I am here to stop it.”

Also the state superintendent is an elected position in Oklahoma, which is loving stupid.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/tylerkingkade/status/1696696986488218085

While it would be maddening if it were just because of Libs of Tiktok, it's even worse because the head of pub ed in OK shared the video which has resulted in six days of bomb threats

Also the state superintendent is an elected position in Oklahoma, which is loving stupid.

Yeah, Walters is on a mission to utterly eradicate public education in Oklahoma and he is winning.

poo poo's so bad several GOP legislators are talking about ending straight-ticket voting in Oklahoma, making the State Super position non-partisan, and limiting the powers of the State Super. Whole lotta legislators representing rural areas who know their towns will vanish if the local school districts shutter because of a lack of staff and funding.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Absolutely insane that the crazy Libs of TikTok lady has not faced any criminal penalties or anything for repeatedly encouraging bomb threats all over the nation.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tatsuta Age posted:

Biden doing this (or god forbid even more legalization than rescheduling) basically cruises to victory in 2024 right

Legalization requires an act of Congress. That isn't happening in the next year.

Additional rescheduling will take at least another year (Biden ordered the review the HHS just finished last October and the DEA still needs to do theirs.)

It will be extremely good for people who grow marijuana professionally, researchers, people who want to use medical marijuana, and dispensaries. But, the average person who wants to use it recreationally won't see much change.

Technically, it will be good for people who get federal marijuana possession charges too, but the amount of people who get federal possession charges alone has been basically 0 since 2018 and that won't practically impact very many people.

It is a good policy, but not likely to be a slam dunk massively popular one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MItch turned off again

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1696936885992501688

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

He looks like he's been losing a lot of weight lately too, and not in the healthy way.

We need a team of adventurers to make sure they get all the phylacteries so he stays dead this time.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Absolutely insane that the crazy Libs of TikTok lady has not faced any criminal penalties or anything for repeatedly encouraging bomb threats all over the nation.

It's infuriating because she, Matt Walsh, and other stochastic terrorists know exactly what they're doing, but since they never cross the line and specifically advocate for this behavior themselves, they get away with it. They know full well that their "fanbase" is full of violent bigots who are going to call in bomb threats, show up with guns, and commit violence, but as long as they didn't specifically tell them to do such things, there's nothing anyone can do.

Like, I was holding onto a sliver of hope that Twitter would say enough is enough and ban her, but that was before Elon bought the place. No way is that ever gonna happen now.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It kinda sucks seeing an old man like that, then I remember he’s Mitch and I’m a lot less sad

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Medullah posted:

Yup, the argument against government control of prescription drugs is that the high prices in the US pay for all the research that big pharma does that they "don't profit from" in socialized health care countries, so the only way they'll keep working on new drugs is with YOY record profits.

Sounds like a fantastic reason to nationalize healthcare and medicine research instead of leaving it in the hands of private companies with distorted incentives. They can license the IP from the government and produce generics at a modest profit without any of the risk of the research.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It would be darkly funny if Mitch goes before Feinstein, who has been a wreck for years

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Fox Business has announced the details of the next Republican debate and it is pretty bizarre.

It will be co-moderated by noted crazy person Stuart Varney and former Bush spokesperson Dana Perino. Additionally, the debate will be co-sponsored by Univision and Univision anchor Ilia Calderón will also appear to co-moderate.

Each of the moderators will select questions, they will take questions submitted in Spanish from Univision viewers, and questions submitted via Rumble.

The debate will be held at the Ronald Reagan presidential library in California and the President of the Reagan library will also be asking questions.

The debate questions will have a focus on immigration, the legacy of Ronald Reagan, and the economy.

Only candidates with at least 50,000 unique donors total, 200 unique donors in 20 different states, and who have reached at least 3% in two national polls will be able to participate.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 30, 2023

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

He’s any day now.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It kinda sucks seeing an old man like that, then I remember he’s Mitch and I’m a lot less sad

It's a very weird feeling because in that moment I know he's just a lost old man that needs help, but then you remember he's a black hearted villain who has made our society substantially worse off.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mitch figured out how to effectively break the Senate. He's already provided the playbook and somebody else can just copy him. He's not even in the majority anymore and it is a safe seat, so it is especially bizarre to see him clinging to his seat so hard.

He's successfully changed national politics forever. People thought he was insane and his cynicism would crucify the Republican party in the eyes of the public for breaking all of these norms and traditions they had for hundreds of years. But, Mitch bet that the public didn't really care about procedure at all and doing it often enough would normalize it and he was right! Take the W and head home to enjoy the rest of your life.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
I wonder if Mitch got a CT scan after the first freezing episode. He did suffer a fall back in March and might have had brain damage that went unnoticed at the time.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

logger posted:

I wonder if Mitch got a CT scan after the first freezing episode. He did suffer a fall back in March and might have had brain damage that went unnoticed at the time.

I wrote a longer, more graphic post in CSPAM about this but basically Mitch was taken off his blood thinners because he is a fall risk. He almost certainly had a large brain bleed when he was hospitalized with a concussion for a month.

The downside to this is that he no longer has that coverage against cardioembolic embolisms, or little pieces of clotted blood that go from the heart to the brain. So now you're getting little tiny pieces of clot finding small places to get stuck in his brain and causing these pauses. They are called Transient Ischemic Attacks and they are huge red warning lights that he is going to have a massive stroke.....any day now.

His last freezing event was bigger. You can see him start to list to one side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Fox Business has announced the details of the next Republican debate and it is pretty bizarre.

It will be co-moderated by noted crazy person Stuart Varney and former Bush spokesperson Dana Perino. Additionally, the debate will be co-sponsored by Univision and Univision anchor Ilia Calderón will also appear to co-moderate.

Each of the moderators will select questions, they will take questions submitted in Spanish from Univision viewers, and questions submitted via Rumble.

The debate will be held at the Ronald Reagan presidential library in California and the President of the Reagan library will also be asking questions.

The debate questions will have a focus on immigration, the legacy of Ronald Reagan, and the economy.

Only candidates with at least 50,000 unique donors total, 200 unique donors in 20 different states, and who have reached at least 3% in two national polls will be able to participate.

That is a lovely madlibs. Not one "penis" entry in the whole thing.

Edit: So when the demilich Mitch finally does die, will we hear the Heavely Host sing their Hallelujahs or will we just feel a general sense of inherent goodness go throughout the world?

Randalor fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 30, 2023