Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The best Batman movies are all animated, anyway. Under the Red Hood, Mask of the Phantasm, Return of the Joker - I'll take any of them over Burton or Nolan if we are talking about "getting the spirit of Batman right."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sorry to bring you this downer

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

bull3964 posted:

MAX is getting some AMC+ content for 60 days because MAX likes money and AMC is a failing network that wants more exposure.

https://deadline.com/2023/08/fear-the-walking-dead-to-air-on-max-amc-networks-streaming-pop-up-1235529604/

Halt and Catch Fire should be on this list. I recommend it to people all the time but after it left Netflix no one wants another streaming service just for one show.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
browsing Amazon Prime's terrible recommendations because trying to do a broad search is pointless, saw that The Practice is up on Prime. I remember catching tons of it on syndication growing up and being the lawyer show in the late 90s

Always funny whenever they talked about "plan B" which was to just turn into straight monsters and insist the victims were at fault

I don't think too many people from that show had too much of a big career afterwards, I know Dylan McDermott and Lara Flynn Boyle were kind of big names but I don't recognize anyone else (Ron Livingston & James Spader aside)

pentyne fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 29, 2023

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

zoux posted:

Sorry to bring you this downer

Wasn't this always intended to be a miniseries though?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

pentyne posted:

browsing Amazon Prime's terrible recommendations because trying to do a broad search is pointless, saw that The Practice is up on Prime. I remember catching tons of it on syndication growing up and being the lawyer show in the late 90s

Always funny whenever they talked about "plan B" which was to just turn into straight monsters and insist the victims were at fault

I don't think too many people from that show had too much of a big career afterwards, I know Dylan McDermott and Lara Flynn Boyle were kind of big names but I don't recognize anyone else (Ron Livingston & James Spader aside)

I remember really liking The Practice, though I don’t recall much about it now, it was a long while back. LFB was a DA or something, not actually part of the firm, and Dylan McD seemed to be on the verge of a breakdown every season maybe?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AceOfFlames posted:

Wasn't this always intended to be a miniseries though?

lmao

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sentinel Red posted:

I remember really liking The Practice, though I don’t recall much about it now, it was a long while back. LFB was a DA or something, not actually part of the firm, and Dylan McD seemed to be on the verge of a breakdown every season maybe?

Yes, the interpersonal drama was always pushed to the highest level with some wild twists and turns like the guy who was a serial killer they kept getting off, and who fell in love with one of the lawyers and brought a bag of severed heads to a lawyer meeting.

The first episode is like a murderer's row of 90s hot button lawyer tv stuff

- battered beleaguered lawyer in a messy office, meeting clients while shoving a pile of pizza boxes off a couch for space to sit
- same lawyer is also a genius masterclass expert in court stuff
- features a young girl charged with drug trafficking for trying to hide her brother's brick of coke, refuses to accept a plea( 4 months vs 15 years if convicted) and talks about how you dirty lawyers might lie but she was raised to tell the truth
- Young waif lawyer is suing a Big Tobacco Firm, her former law professor is opposing and tries to convince her to take a backdoor deal to settle
- Other lawyers range from bombastic charismatic to sympathetic/motherly
- Tobacco Lawyer mocks the small firm in the second meeting, bombastic lawyer smirks and says "we cheat" and tells him to stuff his offer
- After the big victory main lawyer smiles and watches the firm dancing/celebrating while he retires to his messy office to start work on his next case

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So you liked Boston Legal more than the Practice right? What's your overall rating of the former?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I liked The Practice a lot when it aired and still put random episodes on sometimes. The ones with John Larroquette are good, but anything with him is.

I've never seen Boston Legal. Is it less serious and a bit campy? That's the impression I got.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

isaboo posted:

I liked The Practice a lot when it aired and still put random episodes on sometimes. The ones with John Larroquette are good, but anything with him is.

I've never seen Boston Legal. Is it less serious and a bit campy? That's the impression I got.

I'm only 3 episodes into my Boston Legal watch, but yes, it is pretty campy so far, but very fun. And I also don't think I've ever seen a show with this many sexy people in it outside of a...(checks credits)...oh, this is a David E. Kelley show, never mind. Maybe an Aaron Spelling show, then?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I'm pretty sure I've seen some of these Mad Men episodes 10+ times already, and yet they never get old. I fuckin' love this show, dammit!

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

NikkolasKing posted:

The best Batman movies are all animated, anyway. Under the Red Hood, Mask of the Phantasm, Return of the Joker - I'll take any of them over Burton or Nolan if we are talking about "getting the spirit of Batman right."

But none of those would have been made if Batman 89 wasn't such a massive hit. I admit it still was pretty cheesy, but at the time the only reference point most people had for Batman was Adam West and most comic book adaptations were expected to have the same tone.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tequila25 posted:

But none of those would have been made if Batman 89 wasn't such a massive hit. I admit it still was pretty cheesy, but at the time the only reference point most people had for Batman was Adam West and most comic book adaptations were expected to have the same tone.

Oh I like Batman '89 and Returns is...something very special, too. Just saying they aren't my fave Batman. They walked so animated Batman could run, I guess you could say.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The old Batman movies were fun. Nolan's.movies were cold slow sad slogs. The most recent Batman movie was made as a joke but wasn't funny.

Batman and Robin is the best one in my estimation because it's a goofy time and I notice something else bizarre every time.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Batman Begins may be my favorite live action Batman movie of all time. I find the Burton Batman movies fascinating for being a dark version of Adam West Batman, and as weird as that implies. They're so drat weird, and I can't help but love them for that. Batman Forever goes more towards the Adam West side, and mostly pulls it off. Batman and Robin goes way too far, I think, but I haven't seen it since I was I was a lovely 14 year old. Dark Knight is great, but I still like Batman Begins better, personally. Dark Knight Returns is kind of a mess, but looks great. Mask of the Phantasm is the best Batman movie of any form. I watch it every year or two. Return of the Joker is fun, but you need to be watching the PG-13 cut.

Isn't the the TV thread?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tequila25 posted:

Batman works best when it's cheesy and silly, because his whole concept is silly. It's also why Cesar Romero will always be the best joker

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Without a heaping helping of corn, batman is just a rich person who dedicates his life to brutally beating the poor and mentally ill and that's boring

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I respect how gonzo B&R is, but it's also incredibly grating and obnoxious and overwhelming and cacophonous. Just difficult to watch.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Nielsen says they're going to start incorporating viewing data from streaming services for live programming, but they're using the in-house data to measure. For reference, a Thursday Night Football broadcast between the Saints and Cardinals had Nielsen give 7.8 million people watching, while Amazon had 8.9 million. The networks are not happy!

https://twitter.com/mulvihill79/status/1696249924172607826

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
A lot of the sets just looked like fun places to run around on. Or maybe to set a terrible restaurant with 40 dollar plates of chicken breast on rice called ice to meat you

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Nielsen says they're going to start incorporating viewing data from streaming services for live programming, but they're using the in-house data to measure. For reference, a Thursday Night Football broadcast between the Saints and Cardinals had Nielsen give 7.8 million people watching, while Amazon had 8.9 million. The networks are not happy!

https://twitter.com/mulvihill79/status/1696249924172607826

Lol the in-house numbers that every streamer has every reason to make up and no accountability or transparency whatsoever

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Caught up on a few shows recently. Some random thoughts:

And Just Like That:

The show got kind of good in the second half, but the ending was a great example of how they need to trim at least two or three "main" characters off. Nya, Miranda, and of course Che need to be given the boot. It really needs to be said that Che is one of the worst characters of any recent TV show just for being so appalling written. Che's standup makes Bill Maher look funny and cutting edge (though having Che on Club Random would be legitimately funny to see).

Also... they wasted Samantha on that total nothing scene!?

How To with John Wilson:

Between this latest one on Titanic conspiracists (and Travis Walton of Fire in the Sky fame) and the EHS episode, this is a season that's been right up my alley. But also probably this is probably the most outlier episode of the show in how it's built up around what is essentially a fictional storyline. Can't believe Friday is the last episode, I am going to really miss this. Nathan Fielder needs to get Wilson to help on the next season of The Rehearsal.

Ahsoka:

Just in time for tonight's new episode! After the first two, I'm still not sure how to feel about this one. It's walking a tightrope of: Rebels sequel, Mandoverse adjunct, Heir to the Empire quasi-adaptation, and something that ostensibly should be able to stand on its own. I'm not really sure if it's doing any of those well right now. But I also don't think I can say it's bad now, though I do think the two episode premiere could be condensed down into a single episode. I'll say anecdotally, my mom and fiancee who both loved Mandalorian (including Ahsoka's introduction) have no interest in watching it, so I'm curious how extensive its viewing base is. I also wasn't the most invested in Rebels but even from what I remember there feels like a missing show in between this in which a lot of stuff happened. I don't know. I'll keep watching it, at least. I'll say that so far it's better than Mando S3.

It's also not a great sign that Ahsoka is the most boring and flat character in her own show. Natasha Liu Bordizzo is really great, as is Ray Stevenson, which just drives home how sad it is that he died so young.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Chairman Capone posted:

Can't believe Friday is the last episode, I am going to really miss this.
:negative:

Goddamnit, so am I. It's the funniest show on TV right now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Read After Burning posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen some of these Mad Men episodes 10+ times already, and yet they never get old. I fuckin' love this show, dammit!

I still every so often think about Roger meeting with the GOP after walking up all those flights of stairs following a heavy boozy lunch and just laugh all over again :allears:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This episode of the Afterparty was really good at recontextualizing previous events without downright contradicting them.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Im not going to spoiler, but the season 2 ending of Good Omens made me angry and sad.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Our Flag Means Death trailer dropped today, season 2 starts October 5th on Max!

Come join me and the 3 other people in the Our Flag Means Death thread!

HOLY FUCK fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 30, 2023

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1696942173588173145

Sucks, but at least it had a solid ending.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Tbh, I'm having a hard time finishing season 2 what with Peter being dead now.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Goddammit

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Tbh, I'm having a hard time finishing season 2 what with Peter being dead now.

Assuming you mean season 3 the episodes right after that are the best of the whole show

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Eat it, scrubs.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1696931488519082304

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

A fun show that pissed of chuds by having strong female characters and people of color playing Russians

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Don't people stream media in part to get away from the endless deluge of the news

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Mokotow posted:

A fun show that pissed of chuds by having strong female characters and people of color playing Russians

So nothing of value was lost then.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

NGL the first one I get I’m canceling the subscription.

We watch a lot of bullshit on Max but I’m not going to deal with that poo poo n

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Tornhelm posted:

If you're a chud I guess.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

MarcusSA posted:

NGL the first one I get I’m canceling the subscription.

We watch a lot of bullshit on Max but I’m not going to deal with that poo poo n

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Tornhelm posted:

a good, funny show was