Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

amazon has created a tiny pharma insurance program inside amazon prime lmao

oh sorry it's not insurance it's just a flat fee you pay into a pool with other subscribers to receive included benefits when and if you need them

Legally Distinct Health Insurance should have, in retrospect, been on my bingo card.

edit: excellent page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

So it's going to be kept behind the counter under lock and key and you'll have to fill out paperwork and show an ID to buy it

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Why do I have a feeling that otc narcan is going to make it much easier for cops to acquire data about who purchases it and how often so they can shortlist people to surveil for drug crimes

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Someone commented on my N95 for the first time this year. I was picking up some breakfast sandwiches in a drive through lane. When I rolled up to the window, the guy working at the window stopped and starting winding up to ask me about my mask, which made me think "oh boy, here we go". He said he was curious and asked why I was wearing my mask, since he barely sees them anymore. I kept it short and just said I am being extra careful because people I live with are vulnerable. Thought he was going to scoff at me but he said he respected it but stopped wearing because he felt too self-conscious to keep wearing his, then talked about how his dad had ALS when he was a kid and his dad got hosed up by random colds they would bring home.

biceps crimes has issued a correction as of 18:01 on Aug 30, 2023

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Got an elbow bump once from someone who liked my secure click, said I looked ready for a night raving. :blessed:

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Rosalind posted:

They are going to make you take a little paper card to the pharmacy counter, wait in the prescription pickup line, scan your driver's license, and then the pharm tech gets to judge you harshly as she grabs you the Narcan off a shelf in the back.

I already have so much weird prescription poo poo in my medicine cabinet from various supply chain shortages, medication shifts, bureaucratic gently caress ups and kafka-esque nightmares prompting contingencies I'm absolutely going to power through any mere shame barrier if the shelf life is there.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Oldest Man posted:

Why do I have a feeling that otc narcan is going to make it much easier for cops to acquire data about who purchases it and how often so they can shortlist people to surveil for drug crimes

Probably because dystopian prescription drug credit score systems already exist and it's not a stretch to imagine them extending to OTC drugs that need some paperwork but not an Rx.

quote:

On the most basic level, when a doctor queries NarxCare about someone like Kathryn, the software mines state registries for red flags indicating that she has engaged in “drug shopping” behavior: It notes the number of pharmacies a patient has visited, the distances she’s traveled to receive health care, and the combinations of prescriptions she receives.

Beyond that, things get a little mysterious. NarxCare also offers states access to a complex machine-learning product that automatically assigns each patient a unique, comprehensive Overdose Risk Score. Only Appriss knows exactly how this score is derived, but according to the company’s promotional material, its predictive model not only draws from state drug registry data, but “may include medical claims data, electronic health records, EMS data, and criminal justice data.” At least eight states, including Texas, Florida, Ohio, and Michigan—where Kathryn lives—have signed up to incorporate this algorithm into their monitoring programs.

For all the seeming complexity of these inputs, what doctors see on their screen when they call up a patient’s NarxCare report is very simple: a bunch of data visualizations that describe the person’s prescription history, topped by a handful of three-digit scores that neatly purport to sum up the patient’s risk.

At the time of her hospitalization, Kathryn owned two flat-coated retrievers, Bear and Moose. Both were the kind of dog she preferred to adopt: older rescues with significant medical problems that other prospective owners might avoid. Moose had epilepsy and had required surgery on both his hind legs. He had also been abused as a puppy and had severe anxiety. Bear, too, suffered from anxiety.

The two canines had been prescribed opioids, benzodiazepines, and even barbiturates by their veterinarians. Prescriptions for animals are put under their owner's name. So to NarxCare, it apparently looked like Kathryn was seeing many doctors for different drugs, some at extremely high dosages. (Dogs can require large amounts of benzodiazepines due to metabolic factors.) Appriss says that it is “very rare” for pets’ prescriptions to drive up a patient’s NarxCare scores.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

one of the essays in Prof. Wolff's book is adapted from this early-pandemic video from d@w, it's very prescient to the discussions happening today re: conceierge care and narcan availability

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUb6m7iFmpY

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

StratGoatCom posted:

Got an elbow bump once from someone who liked my secure click, said I looked ready for a night raving. :blessed:

that loving moron, everyone knows you can’t wear a mask at a rave

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

eXXon posted:

Probably because dystopian prescription drug credit score systems already exist and it's not a stretch to imagine them extending to OTC drugs that need some paperwork but not an Rx.

i loving love it when we victimize individuals at a mass scale to enable a few rich assholes to pilfer billions, maim millions, and get away with it scott free

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

The Oldest Man posted:

I ran out of Amazon Coins buying RxPassChests; the drop rate on paxlovid is only like 0.2% and i keep getting molnupiravir and rapid test consumables.

a lotta yall still dont get it

Prime members can use multiple subscriptions on a single prescription

so if you have 1 Prime membership and 3 RxPasses you can create 3 prescriptions

Tonight's AmazonPharmacy event is essentially a minting event for both Prime and RxPasses

Edit: Reading this again, it makes entirely too much sense and I now believe I finally understand how Slurp Juice works :eng99:

Pingui has issued a correction as of 18:27 on Aug 30, 2023

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pingui posted:

a lotta yall still dont get it

Prime members can use multiple subscriptions on a single prescription

so if you have 1 Prime membership and 3 RxPasses you can create 3 prescriptions

Tonight's AmazonPharmacy event is essentially a minting event for both Prime and RxPasses

Edit: Reading this again, it makes entirely too much sense and I now believe I finally understand how Slurp Juice works :eng99:

lol

all we have to do is figure out how to mine opioids via hashing and we'll all be gorillionaires

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
did i miss anything of clinical significance (read that i would update the google doc for) in the last 1000 posts

hosed with the start of semester; covid going around and the student email lists are lighting up urging each other to mask and test, but none of them can find free antigen tests anymore

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:britain:

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/england-accelerates-vaccine-programmes-due-new-covid-variant-2023-08-30/ posted:

England accelerates vaccine programmes due to new COVID variant

England will bring forward the start of its autumn flu and COVID-19 vaccination programmes as a precautionary step after the identification of highly mutated COVID variant BA.2.86, which has been found in Britain.
(..)
However, Britain's health ministry said annual vaccination programmes for older and at-risk groups would start a few weeks earlier than planned in light of the variant.

"As our world-leading scientists gather more information on the BA.2.86 variant, it makes sense to bring forward the vaccination programme," said junior health minister Maria Caulfield in a statement.

The variant was first detected in Britain on Aug. 18 and vaccinations will start on Sept. 11, with care home residents and people at highest risk to receive the shots first.
(..)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Petey posted:

did i miss anything of clinical significance (read that i would update the google doc for) in the last 1000 posts

hosed with the start of semester; covid going around and the student email lists are lighting up urging each other to mask and test, but none of them can find free antigen tests anymore

Not as far as I remember (I also briefly checked my own posts since last you posted).

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

eXXon posted:

well it can't be that bad

quote:

complex machine-learning product

ah, nevermind

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Petey posted:

there was a new OTC PCR test with a price point comparable to the lucira that dropped. They sold out pretty drat quick after this thread got wind of it lol. Trying to find it in the backlog of posts.

Found it. Aptitude Metrix

Oracle has issued a correction as of 19:12 on Aug 30, 2023

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

The Oldest Man posted:

"why do we need to fund free narcan clinics when anyone can just walk into CVS and get it themselves?"

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

fosborb posted:

"why do we need to fund free narcan clinics when anyone can just walk into CVS and get it themselves?"

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

i've had only one negative "interaction" with me wearing my N95 in public this year. just some thin blue line hat wearing chud pretending to hold back laughter when he saw me wearing it.

last year i had a surprising interaction with a guy who on the surface checked all the boxes of being a chud who said something to me like, "oh dang, i probably should be wearing my mask right now, huh."

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zugzwang posted:

"well you know, my guys have fallen out of the habit,"

"your guys are about to fall out of the habit of having this contract b*tch"

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I hate that racist old piece of poo poo so loving much and have for over 30 years at this point.

joe "my inspiring speech for the people of lahaina was, 'my grandmama always say, jojo... don't keep the faith. spread the faith'" biden

he was only politely applauded with a golf clap, because nobody knew what the gently caress he was going on about

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Petey posted:

Medical center isn't testing anymore? Or even distributing the rapids?

(And no, haven't missed any big updates)

Baddog has issued a correction as of 19:11 on Aug 30, 2023

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

https://twitter.com/MeetJess/status/1696943148788785456

covid may kill a lot of people, but it also helps a lot of people, so it's impossible to say if its bad or not

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Petey posted:

the university doesn't provide them??

nevermind, I'm sure they embrace Open Biden or at the very least the admin's under pressure from the normalmancers as well.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Very true, they should both be free

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

We just have to crab bucket even harder everyone

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I'm ordering my insurance-reimbursed covid tests for the month, clicking the box that says these are only for me, and then giving them to a mutual aid group

Sabotaging the healthcare system, come get me mods :goose:

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Pingui posted:

Not as far as I remember (I also briefly checked my own posts since last you posted).

thanks, I checked your posts too since I figured stuff would be there!

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

The power of the dope addict lobby can't be understated.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

nexous posted:

lol they helpfully let me know they use much more contrast for a CT than an MRI so I should be glad it wasn’t a CT

I’ve had a bunch of both and never noticed the difference just a warm feeling and like I was pussing myself.

the worst thing I’ve ever had done is a nuclear stress test. nothing can describe the “this is wrong” feeling it gives you

Yeah iodine (CT) gives you a sudden flushing hot and pissing yourself sensation. Gadolinium (MRI) doesn't do anything, sometimes it makes people nauseous from a physiological response but that's really rare. As far as the infiltrate goes there's nothing to do about it except let the body absorb it out.

I also do nuc med and it's wild sometimes watching people when we do the regadenoson studies. Ok you're going to feel real short of breath all the sudden but it will go away in a minute! Way better than loving around with all the old stuff like persantine and adenosine or... dobutamine lol (gently caress dobutamine I ain't a nurse I'm not titrating this poo poo I think I've only ever done 1)

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

genericnick posted:

What was the thread favorite travel air filter again. Might have some use for one pretty soon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B096RQBXJP/

I have one of these. It fits in my carry on backpack (just barely without a whole lot of room for other stuff) and works well.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

I'm ordering my insurance-reimbursed covid tests for the month, clicking the box that says these are only for me, and then giving them to a mutual aid group

Sabotaging the healthcare system, come get me mods :goose:

Cigna denies my covered-through-EOY tests every claim. have to file two tickets per denied reimbursement every time to get things fixed.

i love this world.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I had an idea for a story where the villain who forces everyone in society to live in a giant prison, including themselves. They believe that's the only way for things to be and society's ills come from tbe fact that not everyone is being treated the same.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Asproigerosis posted:

Yeah iodine (CT) gives you a sudden flushing hot and pissing yourself sensation. Gadolinium (MRI) doesn't do anything, sometimes it makes people nauseous from a physiological response but that's really rare. As far as the infiltrate goes there's nothing to do about it except let the body absorb it out.

I also do nuc med and it's wild sometimes watching people when we do the regadenoson studies. Ok you're going to feel real short of breath all the sudden but it will go away in a minute! Way better than loving around with all the old stuff like persantine and adenosine or... dobutamine lol (gently caress dobutamine I ain't a nurse I'm not titrating this poo poo I think I've only ever done 1)

I can handle any contrast you got but please stop asking me to walk down a 50 foot hallway immediately after giving me a giant shot of glucagon. Thankfully the second time I had the same tech and he did not want to pick me up out of a pool of vomit in the middle of the hall again.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
recent Fauci BBC interview

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-66643426

We're gonna go through more surges, its not seasonal, but almost everyone has some degree of "herd immunity" and (minimizingly) "the vulnerable will fall by the wayside". I swear to god I can remember that in 2019 saying poo poo like that would have been shocking as hell to people.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Looking through my old links. And found a video for the covid 19 inhaler.
Is there a reason why it never popped up in the usa?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjuuHSfGd74

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

not sure but as a side note can you imagine the antivax nonsense they would say about this

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

I can inhale covid 19 just fine without having to use an inhaler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Baddog posted:

recent Fauci BBC interview

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-66643426

We're gonna go through more surges, its not seasonal, but almost everyone has some degree of "herd immunity" and (minimizingly) "the vulnerable will fall by the wayside". I swear to god I can remember that in 2019 saying poo poo like that would have been shocking as hell to people.

Absolutely deranged eugenicist take for one but also the og omicron surge was also in an environment with a very high level of acquired and vaccine-derived immunity from the Wuhan strain, Alpha, Beta, and Delta waves and the original vaccines, and that generated the highest body-count of the entire pandemic. There's absolutely nothing precluding another variant with high intrinsic transmissibility and high immune escape from showing up, and cases mean deaths. There's no fundamental way to make more covid cases not equal more covid deaths unless we get a much better (but still non-sterilizing, I guess) vaccine or something about the virus's evolution pushes it to be less intrinsically severe.

All he's doing here is saying "the people who die don't matter" with extra words.