Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Kalli posted:

It was a very unserious negotiation by the Colts, but considering Jeff Saturday last year, they're just trying to make the unserious serious.

If you were trying to figure out which franchise might have the worst next 5 years, they might be my choice.

I think the Colts will be relevant again for winning games sooner than the Cardinals will

And that's assuming they manage to get Caleb Williams next year & get a return for Kyler (a return does not indicate even a single first. He's off an injury, he already has a big cap hit, and league opinion of him is not high)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Kalli posted:

If you were trying to figure out which franchise might have the worst next 5 years, they might be my choice.

Yeah, it's between them and the Cards for me. Like, there'll be other bad teams, but none of them reek of self-sabotage like those two do

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Colts are tanking for Marvin Harrison Jr.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't get why not breaking the bank for an injured RB is seen as bad.

They haven't offered an extension to Pittman but you don't hear anything about that because he knows he's gonna get paid after this year.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The Colts' success hinges on whether Richardson is the next Hurts/Lamar or the next Tebow. I kinda doubt there will be much room for middle ground with his development. If he's a franchise QB that covers a lot of other fuckups. If he sucks rear end then their best player is who, Shaq Leonard, a linebacker? In that case yeah they are copying the 2023 Cardinals in 2024 as a team building up from a subterranean crater without even a foundation.

But even if he's great it could end up a Stafford/Megatron situation in Detroit where the miasma of organizational incompetence overpowers all else.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Codependent Poster posted:

They haven't offered an extension to Pittman but you don't hear anything about that because he knows he's gonna get paid after this year.

Because they have nobody else good to spend the money on and your project rookie QB needs the loving help.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Because they have nobody else good to spend the money on and your project rookie QB needs the loving help.

Especially now that even more money is freed up after that whale died

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

wandler20 posted:

Colts are tanking for Marvin Harrison Jr.

I don't know if they have a shot at him

Nov 6, 2002

They can at least take a shot. See where the bodies land. Gotta pull the trigger.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
Colts going all in on the single wing seems like a bold strategy.

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1696953194952188362?s=20

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Codependent Poster posted:

not extending is one thing, on the one hand he's their best player, they don't have any huge cap hits on the books, and they need someone to help their rookie qb on the other he's a RB and coming off an injury. Sure.

the bit where the owner antagonizes and insults him publicly then they say they'll let him seek a trade only for it to become clear they're not remotely serious about facilitating it. that's where it gets really ridiculous. they went out of their way to poo poo all over their best player for wanting an early extension, gently caress em

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The ol’ Reverse Matt Millen, eh Jim Irsay?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Gonz posted:

The ol’ Reverse Matt Millen, eh Jim Irsay?

Selling something as reverse Matt Millen is a ringing endorsement

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Docjowles posted:

The Colts' success hinges on whether Richardson is the next Hurts/Lamar or the next Tebow.

anthony richardson is not the next tim tebow

tim tebow was good at college football

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Ayudo posted:

Colts going all in on the single wing seems like a bold strategy.

Well they have 5 TE's and 3 (2? Is Zach Moss even healthy) RBs. No idea how you go through an entire training camp and end up with 3 receivers on your roster and a couple running backs. Obviously they'll add more receivers but you're not doing your rookie QB any favors. Anthony Richardson doesn't have a chance (not that he had much of one to begin with).

wandler20 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 30, 2023

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Josh McDaniels was smart to ghost the Colts.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Josh McDaniels was smart

:mods:

Nov 6, 2002

Mega64 posted:

Josh McDaniels was smart

woah

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Caleb Williams is fools gold

Marvin Harrison Jr on the other hand is real gold

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
You guys want to see the most annoying web page? Like, who could even make it through this entire article? (on PC, no idea what it's like on mobile)

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/37879268/who-break-nfl-single-season-receiving-yards-record

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Cardinals about to lose the #1 overall pick?

https://twitter.com/TishaESPN/status/1696981733751615766?s=20

Nov 6, 2002

YOU CAN'T WIN WITHOUT TALKING TO STEVE KEIM.

quote:

Lawyers for the AZ Cardinals asked an NFL arbitrator to destroy the videotape and transcript of the deposition of the team's former head coach Steve Wilks, but the arbitrator ruled on Mon to keep the material, according to two sources.

"With me being a first-year head coach, I felt uncomfortable from the beginning that I worked this hard to get to this plateau and this opportunity, and then I was presented with this situation with being unethical," Wilks testified in his deposition.

In his deposition, Wilks said team owner Michael Bidwill berated him multiple times, including a post-game incident that occurred in front of Wilks' 9-year-old son.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Docjowles posted:

The Colts' success hinges on whether Richardson is the next Hurts/Lamar or the next Tebow.

In a spiritual way I think Richardson is going to be the next Jameis.

They're very different players, but the idea of a mindblowing great play followed by a play where you slap your forehead and are like...what in the goddamned world just happened?

If the good plays do actually happen he's going to be around for a bit though.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

wandler20 posted:

You guys want to see the most annoying web page? Like, who could even make it through this entire article? (on PC, no idea what it's like on mobile)

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/37879268/who-break-nfl-single-season-receiving-yards-record

I don't think I even made it halfway. Ugh

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Can we toss Michael Bidwill into a wood chipper?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Oh man if the Cards lose their first rounder while planning a tank...

Bonus points if the Rams bomb hard enough or the Seahawks/49ers trade up so that one of those teams get Caleb.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mega64 posted:

Bonus points if the Rams bomb hard enough or the Seahawks/49ers trade up so that one of those teams get Caleb.

It'd be interesting to see the moves they make if they pivot and try to actually win games if the tanking is not going to work this year. I don't know what they can really do, but they could do something.

I don't think they're going to lose the pick though.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Mega64 posted:

This makes the Texans/Cardinals game extra interesting. It'd basically turn it into a must-win.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Jesus H. Christ

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1696992616737300796?s=20

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Shrimpy posted:

This makes the Texans/Cardinals game extra interesting. It'd basically turn it into a must-win.

I'm glad the Texans have found their niche as the team that fucks with the top draft picks every year

Dayvan Cowboy
Feb 11, 2014

wandler20 posted:

Surprisingly clean for my modernish phone, but that's a ton of sizzle for what really comes down to two questions:

*Are you an awesome WR who is also the only pass catcher who matters on the team?

*Can your QB throw for 5,000 yards?

Assuming everyone is healthy the full season, that's probably just Jefferson, Kupp, and Diggs (if Allen decides he doesn't want to run anymore).

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1696996694129258748

okay...getting dizzy on this ride

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Colts best writer says Miami was asked for Waddle AND A THIRD. Man. Insanity

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Good news Ravens fans, Melvin Gordon's back in the building

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Amy Pole Her posted:

Colts best writer says Miami was asked for Waddle AND A THIRD. Man. Insanity

I'm just chuckling over here thinking about someone offering that trade in fantasy, much less in real life involving a guy that wants to get a new contract, too.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

wandler20 posted:

I actually literally can’t get it to go past the intro on mobile

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

kiimo posted:

I'm just chuckling over here thinking about someone offering that trade in fantasy, much less in real life involving a guy that wants to get a new contract, too.

Was gonna say, Colts are that guy in your fantasy league constantly spamming bad faith trades like a defense for a starting player just in case someone falls for it

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

He's injured so how exactly is he gonna help? How is signing him to a big deal when he's still hurt and possibly screwing the team for the future capwise helping develop the QB?

Again, Pittman is in the exact same situation. He's also going to get paid more than Taylor. But there's no noise about that. Pittman isn't demanding a trade because he's not getting an extension.

It's not bad for the team to not want to break the bank for an injured player at a position that's had its value diminished a shitload. Taylor has zero leverage and there's no reason for the Colts to trade him or to extend him for $15 or $16 million a year, especially since he's still hurt. And if he's hurt, who is going to actually offer anything of value for him? So it would be stupid for the Colts to trade him unless they got a good return. Like yeah, asking for Waddle and a third is pretty ridiculous, but might as well give it a shot.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Love the colt fan just eating up the he's hurt line from management the moment there's a contract dispute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
If you want to ruin your reputation with other GMs by all means the Colts GM is a wizard