Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Densle, a Canadian 3D animator and musician, recently finished a feature-length version of his Animal Crossing shorts. It's well worth watching:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoRvwKjoobE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I don’t suppose anyone has a good price on turnips right now? (200+? 150+?)

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
Did anyone ever datamine the house visit mechanics the same way friendship level and portrait unlocks were? I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing while the villager mills about.

A thing I uncovered, for anyone still working on their golden axe: if you have a tree that can still produce wood, but can't because of space (overgrown weeds and such), it still depletes axe uses. If it's been ages and you feel like you're a few axe breaks away, you can just grind through them in one sitting.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

Did anyone ever datamine the house visit mechanics the same way friendship level and portrait unlocks were? I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing while the villager mills about.

A thing I uncovered, for anyone still working on their golden axe: if you have a tree that can still produce wood, but can't because of space (overgrown weeds and such), it still depletes axe uses. If it's been ages and you feel like you're a few axe breaks away, you can just grind through them in one sitting.

Just try to leave, they say 'oh right I should be going too' and gently caress off. It was a really cute mechanic at first but now it's just annoying because it's always when you're in the middle of something.

The longer you interact with them and hang out, the more likely it is they'll give you a present via mail the next day. If you talk to them enough they'll play card games with you and stuff, and sometimes if you interact with your furniture they'll comment on it.

If you have cockroaches in your house, they'll visit but immediately turn around and leave.

They won't come in unless you're in the main room. If you're in a side room or upstairs or the basement and you don't respond when they knock, they'll decide you're not home and go away.

And if your airport gates are open you won't get anyone trying to visit your house.

That axe tip is pretty useful!

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

Black Robe posted:

Just try to leave, they say 'oh right I should be going too' and gently caress off. It was a really cute mechanic at first but now it's just annoying because it's always when you're in the middle of something.

The longer you interact with them and hang out, the more likely it is they'll give you a present via mail the next day. If you talk to them enough they'll play card games with you and stuff, and sometimes if you interact with your furniture they'll comment on it.

If you have cockroaches in your house, they'll visit but immediately turn around and leave.

They won't come in unless you're in the main room. If you're in a side room or upstairs or the basement and you don't respond when they knock, they'll decide you're not home and go away.

And if your airport gates are open you won't get anyone trying to visit your house.

Okay, I didn't know if it would influence friendship scores or if it counted as a villager request (it does play that tone). I can't redecorate my house if the gates are open, though, can I?

Black Robe posted:

That axe tip is pretty useful!

Since it's apparently gone this long without getting patched, it's probably a specific setup I stumbled into. Basically, I was hitting a tree with only two free spaces, tried to adjust my angle to get the last log, failed to get it, and then my axe poofed. Tree not counting spaces they've used to spawn wood as 'full' might be the cause of this, and I don't know is spaces being filled with stuff besides weeds and flowers causes a different outcome.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

Okay, I didn't know if it would influence friendship scores or if it counted as a villager request (it does play that tone). I can't redecorate my house if the gates are open, though, can I?

You can redecorate the house as long as there's nobody on the island while the gates are open, same as outside.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I am non-hurriedly working to get Redd's artwork and I hate that last time he visited, 3 artworks that I didn't have on display were all fake, and this week, both works are fake. Ugh.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Morter posted:

I am non-hurriedly working to get Redd's artwork and I hate that last time he visited, 3 artworks that I didn't have on display were all fake, and this week, both works are fake. Ugh.

Have you unlocked the shopping plaza on Harv's island and bought Redd's plot? He restocks every Monday, but if you buy something he'll replace it the next day so you can generate one new item every day if you don't mind buying fakes sometimes.

There is also a hidden rarity value for each artwork, some are much less common than others. The art gallery takes a while. Prior to 2.0 and Harv's stores someone calculated it would take an average of four years to collect all the art without help from other players.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

pandy fackler fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 22, 2024

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Black Robe posted:

Have you unlocked the shopping plaza on Harv's island and bought Redd's plot? He restocks every Monday, but if you buy something he'll replace it the next day so you can generate one new item every day if you don't mind buying fakes sometimes.

Oh crap, i didn't know he restocked. I'll have to check daily then...

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

pandy fackler posted:

started another island after putting the game down for a year. could I possibly get a new link to this?

Try https://discord.gg/cwxzuYDk!

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

pandy fackler fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 22, 2024

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I am one item away from completing my museum. All I need is a fly. In over 3 years of playing I have never seen one, despite having a trash pile around for forever. I now have 3 different trash piles around town and have spent the past few days running around and entering buildings to reset spawns. Still not a single fly.

Anyone have any tips to catch this elusive beast?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Nessa posted:

I am one item away from completing my museum. All I need is a fly. In over 3 years of playing I have never seen one, despite having a trash pile around for forever. I now have 3 different trash piles around town and have spent the past few days running around and entering buildings to reset spawns. Still not a single fly.

Anyone have any tips to catch this elusive beast?

I put out trash and it took me like 3 days. Patience, i guess? Good luck!! You'll get it

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Tyres, cans and rotten turnips next to furniture items so they don't get ants. Took me a very long time too to get one, let alone 3 for a model from Flick.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I have had a rotten turnip outside my house for at least 6 months and no flies. Guess I'll just keep trying!

I did finally get a scorpion the other day. I've run into them often enough, but they always get me or decide to despawn before I can sneak up close enough.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
You can just run up and grab them if you have great timing but it's not as easy as New Leaf.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Nessa posted:

I have had a rotten turnip outside my house for at least 6 months and no flies. Guess I'll just keep trying!

I did finally get a scorpion the other day. I've run into them often enough, but they always get me or decide to despawn before I can sneak up close enough.

I only learned very recently that if you stay still while they shake/threaten you, they WON'T attack. They only attack if you move while they're shaking

Edit: Also regarding the flies, i can confirm that mine was on a tire that was on a path i normally patrol. Again, it took days, but it did eventually show up. I just stopped trying to get IT in particular and would just walk past there on my dailies

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I've caught flies on trash and rotting turnips. I see them most frequently on rotting turnips for what its worth.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Doesn't leaving them on a hard path do it, or can ants carry further than 1 tile over? The fly was one of my last too

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Morter posted:

I only learned very recently that if you stay still while they shake/threaten you, they WON'T attack. They only attack if you move while they're shaking

Edit: Also regarding the flies, i can confirm that mine was on a tire that was on a path i normally patrol. Again, it took days, but it did eventually show up. I just stopped trying to get IT in particular and would just walk past there on my dailies

I often got attacked by the scorpions from just running around at night with my net out and them suddenly coming out of nowhere to sting me. But I did manage to catch a second one the other night! Now he can be proudly displayed in my living room. I have a tarantula in my downstairs lounge.

This morning I finally finally got the fly, but not before rearranging trash piles and going in and out of my house like 20 times to reset spawns. Now the museum is complete!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Nessa posted:

Now the museum is complete!

Hey good job!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Morter posted:

Hey good job!

Thanks! I’m just happy to finally display all the posters on my wall.

I’ve been thinking about what could potentially be involved in the next Animal Crossing game. Now, New Horizons is my first one, but using it at a jumping off point, here’s what I’d like to see.

More advanced house designing. Instead of just the standard layout, we can build our own home with a layout of our choosing.

Change the size and shape of rooms.
Add, move and remove doors and windows.
Different appearance options for doors and windows.
Customizable curtains.
Different placement and style of stairs.

The limitations could be in the form of only having a certain size of blueprint sheet to work on, so you have to stay within the borders. Maybe architecture changes are all done on a blueprint so you can easily fiddle with the house layout as you like.

I just wanna have things like a smaller bathroom, a formal dining room and a sunroom. Let me build my big old Victorian dream house.

Also, certain furniture items that can function as doors, so you can make secret rooms behind bookcases. That would be super cool.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

It took me long enough but I finally designed enough houses in HHP to unlock redesigning my villagers' houses. To whit, Hornsby FINALLY is out of his poor lazy villager starting home and now lives in the bug-filled haven of his dreams.

Maybe I'll do Fuchsia next.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Getting Billy out of the Starter Jock house is half the reason I shelled out for HHP.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Biggest island perk of HHP was making my golden toilet sparkle :homebrew:

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

My fiance and I have been playing New Horizons for the last few weeks and having a lot of fun with it, but we're doing the local couch co-op sort of option where we are both residents on the island and one person is the 'leader' while the other trails them with a limited toolset. She 'founded' the island we're on, and my resident/avatar was created on her island the following day. We usually play together under the same Switch 'profile' on the console.
We're looking at getting a 2nd Switch console right now so that we can play together but in a more extended capacity. I wanted to ensure I understood how this would work, exactly, and I have a bunch of questions.

- I need to buy a copy of animal crossing for the new Switch console, right?

- Is there an option to take my resident and migrate him both to a new island and the new Switch console?

- Will I keep any progression/items on that resident, if so?

Since we are only a few weeks into the game I won't be too upset if I have to fully restart but it would be great if that's not the case.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yes

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/...s--1879834.html

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Man, we did all of that and the moving of accounts and everything was seamless… but I’m surprised and disappointed at how bad the local wireless multiplayer is. I thought we’d be able to build and decorate together, I didn’t realize those things were basically frozen during a multiplayer visit. Kind of a bummer!

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Harvey Baldman posted:

Man, we did all of that and the moving of accounts and everything was seamless… but I’m surprised and disappointed at how bad the local wireless multiplayer is. I thought we’d be able to build and decorate together, I didn’t realize those things were basically frozen during a multiplayer visit. Kind of a bummer!

The "multiplayer" is so comically bad, it's almost as if they were trying for the worst-possible experience.

Had a goonmeet / witches sabbat on my island and around 6-7 people total came. It easily took an HOUR to actually get everyone connected and on my island.

For someone else to connect, no one in the game can even have a dialog box of any kind open - be it conversation, menu, either of the shops. Also, only one person can be connecting at a time, and if at any time during that long annoying process and showing the animation of the plane flying in, etc. - if anyone ELSE tries to connect, they will just get "sorry. can't do that." Basically no one playing the game can do ANYTHING while another person is trying to connect, or the connection will fail. It's so mind-bogglingly stupid it defies belief.

27 years ago - Quake 1 was released, and had the ability for players to connect and disconnect from the game at ANY time, whether an existing game was in progress or not - in fact - completely without regard for what the other players were doing at all. I'm sure games previous to this had that ability as well.

So nearly 30 years of multiplayer gaming to draw on, and this is what they went with.

It is perhaps the most puzzling mystery of the entire game.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

I could honestly live with the weird long connection times, and how clunky all of that is, but what I find incredible is that there is no real co-op building or decorating option. Everything is just set in stone and immutable. As soon as there is more than one player in an environment. Real bummer, it feels like it was almost easier just to use the leader/follower system for my partner and I to play together, at least we could accomplish things.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Harvey Baldman posted:

I could honestly live with the weird long connection times, and how clunky all of that is, but what I find incredible is that there is no real co-op building or decorating option. Everything is just set in stone and immutable. As soon as there is more than one player in an environment. Real bummer, it feels like it was almost easier just to use the leader/follower system for my partner and I to play together, at least we could accomplish things.

Best friends can do some extra things, like digging, but yeah... I understand that it's to prevent griefing, but it feels like laziest way

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I for one am shocked that Nintendo did a lovely weird job of implementing online features, they’ve always been so good at online :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I just bought the painting A Sunday Afternoon on The Island of La Grande Jatte from Redd over on Harv's Island.

Which is weird because according to one of the Animal Crossing wikis, that painting is supposed to always be authentic, and I had already donated the authentic painting to my museum two years ago. :psyduck:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Yeah, you can get multiple copies of authentic artworks.

It's best not to think about it.

(It's so you're not screwed if you accidentally sell it/throw it out/gift it to someone, it just makes no in-world sense)

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

The Door Frame posted:

Best friends can do some extra things, like digging, but yeah... I understand that it's to prevent griefing, but it feels like laziest way

I had the hardest time even becoming friends with my kids in ACNH because I did something out of order and never had the friends app given to me by the dodo so I could visit my kids’ islands and they could visit mine but the missed conversation with the dumb extinct chickened to endless frustration

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I'm mad. I'm on vacation at a place that has very much the same vibe I was going for on my island, so I was feeling inspired to do some decorating. I ordered some rattan furniture, told Tom he could move, and got ready the next day to do some stuff! Except between one day and the next, my Switch decided it was phone home day, and the place we're staying is one of those places where you have to sign in on a web page to use the wifi. (It's a Hilton place.) And ofc the Switch can't do that. Can't tether my phone either because my phone plan doesn't do that. So I'm basically stuck with a fancy brick until I get home! :argh:

At least I got pictures. I can work off that...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Hi I am out of retirement! Today, is the Fall Fishing Tourney and Ile de BonZone OPEN FOR VISITORS!

CLOSED FOR TODAY. I got 3 Fish Doorplates. :toot:

I have been redecorating and realized I need a bunch of Fish Doorplates, so I will be fishing! Feel free to come visit, help with fishing, or just see the sights! If you've been looking to offload spare cooking recipes bring them on over. I ain't played this game for like a year so chances are good I don't have 'em!

I left an extra Dynamic Painting by the gate. It's genuine. All yours if you need it! You may also feel free to buy anything from the shops. I'm all good. Similarly, feel free to pick vegetables or fruits. If you take a vegetable, I just ask that you water it so it grows back nicely. :)

If you haven't been to LeBonZone in awhile, the main thing that has changed is the front plaza is now a proper reception area/departure lounge. Perfectly appointed to relax while waiting for a tour! Also, the infinity pool is DONE, located in the northeast corner of the island, next to the outdoor wedding venu. Other projects are still WIP. The one that's farthest along is restaurant Chaat Zone is renovating to include a Polynesian buffet! (This is what I need the Fish Doorplates for).

If you haven't been to Ile de BonZone before... oh boy.

Ile de BonZone is a 5-star tropical resort!

We are fully appointed with deluxe overwater bungalo (Silver's house) with Nick's Surf and SCUBA (Nick's house) next door. Nick's Surf and SCUBA contains everything you could want for your tropical excursion. See the second floor for help booking and be sure to stop by the gift shop in the rear. Ile de BonZone merch is also available at Abel Sisters!

We have THREE fine restaurants to enjoy: Chaat Zone for pan-Asian cuisine, Cafe du Zone for casual dining, and Treehouse for fine dining. Treehouse is also equipped to host your destination wedding!

You can also unwind at Sol Duc, our deluxe spa, or while the day away at Bon Jeu, our award winning arcade. If you want to pump some iron, see Swole Zone gym.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 14, 2023

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Only 5 more hours of gameplay and I’ll have officially played ACNH for 5,000 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everwake
Aug 9, 2021

Discord: everwake#0311
Steam: Everwake
Xbox: everwake#3338
PlayStation: everwakePS
Nintendo: SW-0815-2733-9404
Mastodon: https://gamepad.club/@everwake

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Only 5 more hours of gameplay and I’ll have officially played ACNH for 5,000 hours.

I would not have guessed that the Switch time tracking feature even went beyond 3 digits.