Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i saw the elephants in africa to get the cheevo but yeah i think they're all just manually placed at specific locations, not autogen. kinda lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
you can sightsee in airliners just fine, like the time i flew an a320 from ny to dc at a thousand feet above i-95

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

i saw a truck driving up what appeared to be a waterfall

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lord Stimperor posted:

i saw a truck driving up what appeared to be a waterfall

spawning season :unsmith:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Micr0chiP posted:

This showed up on my YouTube feed, if someone wants a dcs light with nukes this seems fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQiUUNK8UDc

I've been playing the open test version and it's really fun. Nice balance between arcade and sim

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Negostrike posted:

I've been playing the open test version and it's really fun. Nice balance between arcade and sim

I just signed up for it, do you know if it will be multiplayer in the future or if it has / will have VR support?

e: cool the vid says will have multiplayer, steam lists it as SP right now so I was confused.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

That Works posted:

I just signed up for it, do you know if it will be multiplayer in the future or if it has / will have VR support?

e: cool the vid says will have multiplayer, steam lists it as SP right now so I was confused.

TrackIR and VR support are planned for the future, with the former coming sooner.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I try not to fly close to the ground. That is where the immersion of Flight Sim completely breaks.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I did a post in SH forum, but thought I'd post it here too even though this thread seems to be pretty dead lately :( Soliciting opinions.

slidebite posted:

Might be a specific upgrade for a game question but thought I'd ask here.

I've got a 9900k and a 3090. I game at 3440x1440. System is rock solid with zero problems.

The most intensive game I play with any regularity is probably MSFS. I know it is generally CPU bound so I am probably going to go to a 7800X3D in the next short while (the 9900k has given me good life and owes me nothing). It plays pretty well as-is but there are certainly some slowdowns and I think the x3d is going to be the best way to address that.

Should I go to a 4090 as well? Doing some quick checking, looks like I can potentially sell the 3090 for close to 1/2 the price of a 4090, give or take.

Or is there likely zero benefit at that resolution between a 3090 and 4090?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I'm pretty sure MSFS is enough of a hog to make use of any additional hardware money you want to throw at it.

Ultimately if you're unsure, I would say build your 7800x3d system with your current 3090 and see if it makes you happy. You can always upgrade the graphics card later (provided you have enough head room in your power supply to feed it).

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

slidebite posted:

I did a post in SH forum, but thought I'd post it here too even though this thread seems to be pretty dead lately :( Soliciting opinions.

Going to a 12th gen Intel or the latest AMD CPUS should be a far more significant upgrade. While the 9900K is a beast, it can't really go 1 to 1 on the newest CPU behemoths anymore. The upgrade on 12th gen intel is quite significant for MSFS purposes.

The difference of even a 12700k over the 9900K is almost 20 percent in single thread, and the 13th gen intel beats the 9900k up real bad.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I went from a 9900k to a 7800X3D with a 3080 TI and get 40-50+ fps in “5K” (5120x2160) with graphics settings cranked in the high/ultra range (and could probably get a steady 60fps if I could be bothered to selectively tweak stuff down a bit).

The CPU upgrade was a massive improvement in frame rate, and for 1440p your 3090 ought to be more than enough if you went for something like the 7800X3D. Definitely try it before chucking your card and upgrading.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

Going to a 12th gen Intel or the latest AMD CPUS should be a far more significant upgrade. While the 9900K is a beast, it can't really go 1 to 1 on the newest CPU behemoths anymore. The upgrade on 12th gen intel is quite significant for MSFS purposes.

The difference of even a 12700k over the 9900K is almost 20 percent in single thread, and the 13th gen intel beats the 9900k up real bad.

The 5800X3D and 7800X3D eat intel's lunch in MSFS, and they appear to be quite good in DCS too. Those chips have enormous amounts of L3 cache, which these sims absolutely love. We're talking about the 7800X3D having 30% more performance than the 13900K in many tests: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/7800x3d-performance-reviews-for-msfs/585520

The 4090 is less important to get though, considering the OP's resolution. I'd get the 7800X3D first, then see what performance is like with ultra settings enabled. If you can get 60fps with the 3090 (as I suspect will happen), then maybe hold off until FS24 is released and reevaluate then.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 5, 2023

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
i'm playing at 4k but i rarely if ever see my 4090 hitting full throttle (also with a 7800x3d), and that's at 4k. ultrawide 1440p a 3090 is more than sufficient. the 7800x3d is solid as hell though, definitely recommend

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks for the input folks.

Finding specs on 3990x1440 between the 3090 and 4090 isn't super common. 4K and 1080p seems to be more the norm.

I was thinking of selling it more sooner than later as the used 3090 market seems decent right now, but I guess it probably won't crash anytime soon so yeah, doing a 7800 build and seeing how it goes makes sense. I am eventually hoping to get a larger, ~40ish 4K monitor but that probably won't be anytime soon.

Now just to decide if I'm going to keep going with my ancient full size fractal ATX case or take the opportunity to do something else.
e:
Took the plunge ordered the 7800X3D and will start to slowly to more research and get the rest of the components together.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 6, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Feel free to pop into SH/SC's PC building thread where me and several others are often answering questions about PC hardware. I'll say that ancient cases often don't have enough airflow to keep the PC from overheating when you have a 450W GPU dumping heat into the thing. Thankfully Fractal Design is still making bangers, though. https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Will do thanks

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
New SU beta is out an WT have added some more features to the 747 and 787.

quote:

Boeing 787-10 Dreamliner / Boeing 747-8 Intercontinental

Added Functionality:
Both planes now support data uplink features via Simbrief. This allows the pilot to request the route, payload, and wind forecasts on the appropriate CDU pages. We have also added payload and fuel management pages to help pilots load the planes more optimally. You will find that under the SETTINGS page on the CDU. The 787-10 now comes with the EFB enabled. At the moment its sole purpose is to calculate takeoff performance settings and to send the data back to the FMC. Additionally a first iteration of computed and programmed step climbs has been implemented.
CDU: Add SimBrief related options in SETTINGS.
FMC: Add ROUTE REQUEST functionality backed by SimBrief integration.
FMC: Add wind uplink functionality backed by SimBrief integration.
CDU: Weight&Balance page added under SETTINGS for fuel and payload management.
VNAV: Added support for step climbs.

CHECKLISTS: Added support for closed loop checklist items that automatically complete based on the corresponding system states.
CHECKLISTS: Checklist page will display the first incomplete checklist upon page entry or NORMAL button press.
CHECKLISTS: Added CHKL INCOMPLETE NORM cautions for before takeoff, approach and landing checklists.
CHECKLISTS: Added Resets page where all checklists can be reset instead of having to reset every checklist individually.
CHECKLISTS: Added support for overriding checklists and individual checklist items.
Plus a lot more

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Zero One posted:

New SU beta is out an WT have added some more features to the 747 and 787.

Plus a lot more

Do flight plans actually import correctly now?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Seems that the big YouTube channel Mentourpilot and Airline Pilot Performance are teaming up to deliver flight sim courses for the 737. No content yet, just saw petter announce it on his channel. Considering to sign up

https://www.virtual737course.com/

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Lord Stimperor posted:

Seems that the big YouTube channel Mentourpilot and Airline Pilot Performance are teaming up to deliver flight sim courses for the 737. No content yet, just saw petter announce it on his channel. Considering to sign up

https://www.virtual737course.com/

Flight Sim Coach is already doing something similar.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Pretty sure Mentour's courses are free and flight sim coach is a paid thing. I signed up after watching his video on the Connie on the weekend. No harm in it and I'm curious how the process works.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
New cities update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDZvEp3A3Zo

Geneva is still missing the Jet d'Eau :colbert:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I just wanna brag here, crossposting from DCS thread, about a cool rear end co-pilot I had.

Vahakyla posted:

Thanks all for flying!

First off I want to publicly say one more time that Chevy 1 flight was Strike Eagles, and the pilot of Chevy 1-1 was my 13-year old son. He flew the whole thing, got the pickle on the general's bus, and bombed an artillery piece and a BMP on the airport apron. I took care of the radios and inputting waypoints as the backseater, and I searched for more targets on the TGP. Besides that, it was my son flying as flight lead, and wingmen report that he was easy to follow. Maintained altitude and separation, and did all sorts of pilot stuff. He's been practicing basic flying in a Cessna in MSFS, flown a bit as RIO in the F-14, and now he's started practicing F-15E as the pilot. He did loving awesome, and goddamn is it so school. Here's him flying, with appropriate privacy measures:

Watching Jedi 2-2 drop a bomb on a BMP:

Watching the paratroops out of Trash 1:

My son returning to Incirlik:

Some other pics:

Yooper posted:

Mission was really good. Very pleased with the more limited scope of the mission. It made it manageable to actually manage instead of rolling chaos.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Saul Kain posted:

Your son is way cooler than you are Vaha.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Confirmed, lol.

Also he's gotten good practice in the sky, too.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DA40 crew, represent.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What GPU are you using? Looks great!

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
MSFS installer is a crime

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Xakura posted:

It's really awful

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's astounding that it opens a unique download session for each file, from 100mb textures to 2kb inis, instead of idfk maybe compressing the whole set into an archive and unzipping it locally when it's done??? maybe????

like you could not pick a slower and shittier way of transferring a large chunk of data

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Sagebrush posted:

it's astounding that it opens a unique download session for each file, from 100mb textures to 2kb inis, instead of idfk maybe compressing the whole set into an archive and unzipping it locally when it's done??? maybe????

like you could not pick a slower and shittier way of transferring a large chunk of data

Asobo has negated your criticism by making a launcher that can also get stuck decompressing.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Very normal software

Launch MFS
Get error saying it needs to be updated from the MS store first
Launch MFS
Get update window which you have to click update first, so don't walk away until you're sure
Complete update after 15 minutes before the 5-10 minute launch process
Go into the marketplace and update all that poo poo too
Close the game just to make sure, unless it crashes before hand
Relaunch game and go through slightly faster but still slow launch.

At least 2024 will give me a chance to get off the Microsoft store and to steam. Hopefully the premium edition either won't exist or I'll get a crack at getting it because lol it costs more to upgrade a standard copy to premium now than it does to buy premium+standard outright to this day.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Unfortunately the steam version still uses the awful updater and I can only hope that 2024 is better about downloading. I currently don't have the game installed because I was getting unfixable issues and decided to completely wipe my install and I just haven't felt like trying to redownload everything.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Black Square - TBM 850

This will be an instabuy for me.

The manual for it looks incredibly beefy.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Still waiting for the Beechcraft Starship. :(

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Mr E posted:

Unfortunately the steam version still uses the awful updater and I can only hope that 2024 is better about downloading. I currently don't have the game installed because I was getting unfixable issues and decided to completely wipe my install and I just haven't felt like trying to redownload everything.

That’s fine, but at least I don’t have to use the MS store and all the sandboxing bullshit it does.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Xakura posted:

I only play MSFS sporadically every now and then. The launcher is the #1 reason "sporadically" rapidly turned into pretty much never. I have a gigabit connection and it doesn't loving matter. We all have dial up in the eyes of MSFS. Every time I think about booting up the game and going for a spin I am reminded of the fact that I probably have to patch the loving game for two hours and then patch individual world updates once in game as well.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Bentai posted:

Still waiting for the Beechcraft Starship. :(

I'm constantly amazed that Black Square is one dude who puts out better stuff way faster than most add on devs with whole teams, but that won't stop me from being :mad: that the Starship still isn't out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Boar It posted:

I only play MSFS sporadically every now and then. The launcher is the #1 reason "sporadically" rapidly turned into pretty much never. I have a gigabit connection and it doesn't loving matter. We all have dial up in the eyes of MSFS. Every time I think about booting up the game and going for a spin I am reminded of the fact that I probably have to patch the loving game for two hours and then patch individual world updates once in game as well.

Yeah this is my problem. Even DCS updates faster and I've always had issues with that launcher, and I usually find myself playing IL-2 or BMS instead. Will definitely be returning to try out the Ornithopter, though.