Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

openly being further left than that has had an unfortunate tendency to get you purged from academia for the past 70 years or so, which probably doesn't help

It's not an authoritarian regime you live under, you're just fired and refused employment if you aren't right wing enough :nsa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

don't forget dying of thirst/hunger! :buddy:

speedrunning no potable water

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1696964396168167779

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Puppy Burner posted:

Civilization is the transformation of wonder and beauty into a sterile and silent tomb.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Rauros posted:

Someone should do something lol

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

Someone should do something lol

Vote.

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

no wetland ever offered me a job

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

When the hurricane beat my home, I didn't curse it I said thank you for your service

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Rauros posted:

lmao wtf. a very progressive president.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

I mean it's not even like those things are the leading cause of microplastic contamination

Fishing nets and dust from tires are most of it, right?

We created a feel good solution for waste because it's easier than just consuming less

And washing synthetic clothes

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

toggle posted:

lmao wtf. a very progressive president.

yeah biden and his agencies should just ignore court orders

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
give the order, mr president

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/08/30/martha-stewart-iceberg-cocktail/

quote:

Those looking to boost their craft cocktail game have in recent years turned to “luxury” or “designer” ice in place of the ordinary tap-water variety. Its proponents champion luxury ice as the superior way to chill cocktails — boasting that it is individually carved, slow melting and has no minerals or chemicals that might affect how a drink tastes. Such an indulgence can cost nearly $10 a pop.

Martha Stewart bested all of that Monday by chilling her cocktail with an actual iceberg.

On Monday night, Stewart posted on Instagram a photo of herself in a winter hat and parka, showing off a beverage in a tumbler with the wilds of Greenland behind her. In the caption, she revealed that, while sailing aboard a Swan Hellenic cruise off Greenland’s east coast, they had “captured a small iceberg for our cocktails tonight.” Other photos showed still-intact glaciers with breakaways floating in the sea below and a pair of “captured” icebergs on a bar cart.

Some of her 1.9 million followers bristled, chiding her in the comments for being elitist and “tone deaf,” given that climate change has made Greenland the fastest-warming region in the world, where ice melts at twice the pace of Antarctica.

“Global warming and melting ice caps but we need glacier ice for cocktails?!” one person commented.

Someone else said that keeping cocktails cold using the remnants of a glacier “sounds like a line from a dystopian novel.”

What Arctic ice tells us about climate change

Perhaps, but plucking an iceberg out of the sea is not a big deal, said glaciologist Eric Rignot, a professor in the Earth system science department at the University of California at Irvine. In fact, Rignot, who studies how climate change affects the polar ice sheets, said he has done it, too.

“It is not like she went to a glacier and carved a piece of ice off it,” Rignot wrote in an email to The Washington Post. “Icebergs float at sea already and slowly melt. Whether they melt in the ocean or in your glass does not make a difference.”

Glaciologist Ian Allison, a professor at the University of Tasmania’s Institute for Marine and Antarctic Studies, agreed, saying the environmental impact from the fossil fuels powering the cruise ship was far greater than that caused by Stewart putting some ice into her glass, which he described as “zero (or at least no greater than the beating of butterflies’ wings in the Amazon).”

“Popping a bit of ice into a drink is no worse than taking a glass of water from a river,” Allison wrote in an email to The Post.

Bringing aboard one or two ice fragments has been a common practice for decades among expedition cruise ships like Swan Hellenic, said Lindsay Brean, a spokeswoman for the cruise line. It gives guests a chance to see and touch the shape and structure of the ice. As the ice melts, it breaks up, allowing guests like Stewart to put some in their drinks if they choose to do so.

But no one ever breaks ice off a glacier; what they collect is “already in the sea,” Brean said.

“It’s supposed to be an entirely respectful experience,” she added.

Even though Stewart didn’t do anything harmful in Rignot’s view, she could have taken the opportunity to highlight “the beauty of the place and how sad it is to know that it is melting away,” he added.

Stewart does not appear to have done that, at least on her Instagram account. But her travel companion Brian Kelly, who founded the Points Guy travel site, did so in an Instagram post that he published around the same time as Stewart. In his caption, Kelly said climate change has hit Greenland especially hard, but “its beauty still cannot be understated.”

“Icebergs are pieces of art and watching them float by never gets old,” he wrote. “The magnitude of the glaciers is humbling and frankly hard to fully comprehend.”

Stewart is aware that some people must think she spends all of her time indulging in the luxuries of the world, but in July, she told them she is also conscious of the crises it faces. In mid-July, she told her Instagram followers that a recent storm had dumped eight inches of rain on her Maine estate, washing out roads, felling trees and rotting her vegetable garden.

She used the storm and the damage it caused to highlight the increasingly severe effects of climate change.

“And what are we doing as a nation to remedy this erratic weather and global warming??” she asked rhetorically. “Think about it and start to act responsibly please!”

Although he’s a glaciologist, Allison said he was concerned about Stewart’s cocktail-iceberg pairing. The ice in Greenland is formed from layer upon layer of snow compressing each other over time, which traps and pressurizes air bubbles, he said.

“If Martha’s piece of berg had once been buried to depths of hundreds of meters, it would gently effervesce in her drink as it melted,” Allison said.

The glaciologist had a suggested pairing for just such a piece of iceberg.

“Highly recommended with a single-malt scotch.”

This is what makes climate activists really angry. Not something that matters. :allears:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
The only person that I've actually met on my IG that posts about climate change and cutting out meat... is one of the only people on there that frequently takes island vacations.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

skooma512 posted:

The only person that I've actually met on my IG that posts about climate change and cutting out meat... is one of the only people on there that frequently takes island vacations.

Well yeah someone has to offset all that carbon

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Unironically yes. Now you're getting it.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

:yeah:

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
I'd like to visit the Cook Islands and I'll probably do so as the benefit to me for going far outweighs the benefit to humanity for me not going. That plane is flying whether I'm on it or not! Only private jets are bad :colbert:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

yeah exactly, we should be mad at him for his pro-natural gas, pro-coal policies too!

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

rex rabidorum vires posted:

i assure you that he is not

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I had a cocktail once called global warming and it was a big ice block and the spices melted the center.

it was real good.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

rex rabidorum vires posted:

lol

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
california ignored SCOTUS orders to reduce their prison population for years while Harris was the state attorney general. eventually they had to comply but they came really loving close to answering that question of "what if we just told the courts to gently caress off". the people running the country as we speak, are no stranger to playing fast and loose with what the court says. the question is what policies they do that in service of. so far the answer is "policies of cruelty".

SixteenShells has issued a correction as of 00:01 on Aug 31, 2023

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

SixteenShells posted:

california ignored SCOTUS orders to reduce their prison population for years while Harris was the state attorney general. eventually they had to comply but they came really loving close to answering that question of "what if we just told the courts to gently caress off". the people running the country as we speak, are no stranger to playing fast and loose with what the court says. the question is what policies they do that in service of. so far the answer is "policies of cruelty".

profit

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

he's the president he can do it if he wants

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

ben shapino posted:

lol

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

skooma512 posted:

I browse that investment kickstarter thing wefunder sometimes and recently some climate grift machine on there had the investor perks at spending time at the creators mansion in bali.

$10,000 towards their machine that is very carefully never claimed to actually work and you get 7 days at their house.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I can respect that since my dream job would be scamming vcs out of cash.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I mean, what would we do if our elected officials just flouted the authority of the branches of government, like, for example, refusing to elect a new US Supreme Court justice for an entire year in order to run out the clock to your party gaining power and being able to choose? Decorum would be destroyed. It would be anarchy.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

yes, we might be risking human extinction, but at least the Supreme Court’s authority wasn’t challenged.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

ben shapino posted:

that's right

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

didn't Extinction Rebellion give up?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Why would XR give up? They're wildly successful at their goal.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

FlapYoJacks posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/08/30/martha-stewart-iceberg-cocktail/

This is what makes climate activists really angry. Not something that matters. :allears:

that loving owns lmao

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Worked for Lincoln with Taney and Jackson with Marshall.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

jetz0r posted:

The only thing they gave up were their actual activists, to the police

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

first based thorn post in a while

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

jetz0r posted:

https://extinctionrebellion.uk/2022/12/31/we-quit/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ABSCBNNews/status/1697123188495601685
https://twitter.com/rapplerdotcom/status/1697123251561123992