Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Cessna posted:

Waterloo was LOTR with shakos and it's a good game.

Just wait for my WW2 dogfighting game that will be a palette swap of Chainmail, it'll be amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

moths posted:

Mechanically, WW2 FoF is just a little more lethal with worse first aid.

From a gaming perspective though, the game's biases can lead to some very unsatisfying scenarios mapped to WW2.

Flipping the irregulars to "good guys" highlights how weird the game is about them, and it's easy to get a scenario where Maquis guerrillas can't actually kill the SS convoy they've ambushed. Or veteran Red Army soldiers in Berlin are nearly immune to volkstrum bullets.

That is just good modelling of soviet magical realism, a real comrade simply knows reactionary bullets cannot overcome their zeal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpzkD94tP2M&t=5177s

I'm looking to do the Russian Civil War in 10mm, what ruleset would folks recommend? The guy I'm playing with wants to use Blitzkrieg Commander, I can't see why not, but I figured I'd check. I enjoyed Cold War Commander enough to play again, so I think that should work.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 29, 2023

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I’m thinking of upgrading my blogger blog to Wordpress. I’m not show up at all in bing and yahoo searches for reasons (I suspect because I turned my ads off).

Any one with good experience of a good domain hoster for their war gaming blog? All I know is to avoid go daddy.

All the searches I do just tell me to use their own affiliate link.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'd be looking for something that models fire and maneuver, unreliable information, and the uncertainty of battle, much more than 40k does, so I think Bolt Action is the opposite direction I want to go in.

My standard would be something that plays a lot more like Close Combat than Company of Heroes.

I will note that the one thing BA does to be interesting is have a random chit pull for activation, so it could be a good on ramp for getting people used to c&c uncertainty

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

lilljonas posted:

Just wait for my WW2 dogfighting game that will be a palette swap of Chainmail, it'll be amazing

If you don’t actually do this I’m going to be very cross

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

My shelf space is now taken up with painted miniatures (admittedly only ~8' x 8") and so I've been looking at the low hanging fruit to eject and other than my (very) abortive space combat models the others are my 3mm Austrians and coincidentally I came across this tutorial of using fabric mesh/granny grating for >6mm figures. I've seen blurry webcam shots of the figures before but never really any detail and it looks pretty effective...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTv71X-1iNU

I mean, the whole point is that I'm NOT going to be doing 3mm scale, but I thought it was worth a post.

lilljonas posted:

Someone (in this thread?) said that Battletech was just re-skinned pre-Dreadnought naval combat and that blew my mind because even if it's not objectively true, it certainly fits the bill.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Endman posted:

If you don’t actually do this I’m going to be very cross

"My spitfire flies up in front of your ME 109e and attack it with it's machine guns and I... hit!"
"Ok roll 1D6 for damage."
"Actually that's 1D6+1 because the spitfire is a cleric plane and uses a crushing machine gun, so that's extra damage vs your undead plane"

No wait now you're talking me into doing this :P

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Virtual Russian posted:

I'm looking to do the Russian Civil War in 10mm, what ruleset would folks recommend?

Red Actions by The Perfect Captain.

It's free, here.

lilljonas posted:

Already done, almost:

"Roll to see where your observer grew up." (rolls) "He's a Bavarian!"

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I've got a couple of boxes of these:

They were originally intended for a Sea Lion game that never ended up happening. I'm planning to use them instead for a 1940 BEF army.

Is there anything aside from weapon choices, like adding PIATs and dropping Boys ATRs, that would prevent me from using them for a 1944 army? I admit up front that I don't know BEF uniforms.

Edit: I've also got a Matilda I'll swap for a later tank, maybe a DD Sherman or a Churchill.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 30, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The lack of Stens for NCOs might be a mild inconvenience, the helmets are the Mk II "Battle Bowler" rather than the Mk III "Turtle", and the gas mask bags on the front of the webbing were dropped after Dunkirk. Other than that the basic British kit was basically the same at 28mm, so unless you find a grog like... us...

Look, you'll be fine.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

That sounds like we're in the "close enough" range, thanks. I'll pick up some guys with Stens and PIATs and mix them in.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I know some people, usually veterans from Africa, did just really like the Battle Bowler and refused to switch to the new helmets when they were issued, so that's another thing you can let slide. The bayonettes are less likely to be fixed later on in the war (if even issued) but that's an easy handwave too.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Cessna posted:

Red Actions by The Perfect Captain.

It's free, here.

Oh no, download links all seem broken? Maybe it is just me?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Virtual Russian posted:

Oh no, download links all seem broken? Maybe it is just me?

https://www.pygmywars.com/rcw/gaming/rules/original_rules.html

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
The bigger problem would be the unit sizes since it looks like that box is making the "short" platoons that the BEF started the war with.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

spectralent posted:

The bigger problem would be the unit sizes since it looks like that box is making the "short" platoons that the BEF started the war with.

I've got plenty.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

You're too good!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

lilljonas posted:

I'm pretty much done with the Persian converted heavy cavalry. They'll serve as Hearth Guard in my Saga army, and I wanted something with a bit more oomph than the stock kit from Victrix. They could represent hired steppe noblemen from tribes like the Saka or similar Scythian-related peoples, or the royal guard of a Persian king.

I just need to put the sidearms on them, and those will be stock from the kit. A lot of work involved, just the horse armour has about 9 steps where the putty needs to cure inbetween. And yes, I just HAD to give their leader a more suitable beard for a Persian nobleman than those on the plastic heads. ;)

They're not quite that poisonous green, I had to adjust the pics to make the details stand out. Shooting green stuff is hard!

From a couple pages back, but just wanted to say this is some top-level modelling! Really good effort and what a cool, unique unit from an interesting time and civilization.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Southern Heel posted:

My shelf space is now taken up with painted miniatures (admittedly only ~8' x 8") and so I've been looking at the low hanging fruit to eject and other than my (very) abortive space combat models the others are my 3mm Austrians and coincidentally I came across this tutorial of using fabric mesh/granny grating for >6mm figures. I've seen blurry webcam shots of the figures before but never really any detail and it looks pretty effective...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTv71X-1iNU

I mean, the whole point is that I'm NOT going to be doing 3mm scale, but I thought it was worth a post.

Someone (in this thread?) said that Battletech was just re-skinned pre-Dreadnought naval combat and that blew my mind because even if it's not objectively true, it certainly fits the bill.

Granny-grate notoriously resists holding onto paint. If you give it a quick once over with a lighter it changes the plastic and paint adheres much more easily.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

spectralent posted:

The Bolt Action "British Expeditionary Force" pack is a 10-man infantry section (presumably the same one as in the "BEF Infantry Section" pack), a platoon HQ with an officer and two riflemen, a 2-man 2-in mortar team, a 2-man Boys team, and a 3-man Vickers team. I suspect if you want a full platoon you're supposed to add a pair of "BEF Infantry Section" packs.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Aha, that'd explain it, yeah.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Add a few NCOs/Officers with Sten guns and some PIATs and it works for 1944 Chain of Command. (Plus some support, of course.)

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Cessna posted:

Add a few NCOs/Officers with Sten guns and some PIATs and it works for 1944 Chain of Command. (Plus some support, of course.)

I think you should add many PIAT light anti-tank weapons! :3:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

lilljonas posted:

Sounds like my idea for a club, Davout’s Devotees. We’ll just replay Auerstedt again and again while making increasingly suggestive humms and groans.

I’d go

Comstar posted:

Which store? I'm not ever going to be any where near it, but I would support it.
https://www.plus1gaming.com

Sadly there’s no online ordering or I’d say definitely buy some paint or a box or something

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 31, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

LatwPIAT posted:

The Bolt Action "British Expeditionary Force" pack is a 10-man infantry section (presumably the same one as in the "BEF Infantry Section" pack), a platoon HQ with an officer and two riflemen, a 2-man 2-in mortar team, a 2-man Boys team, and a 3-man Vickers team. I suspect if you want a full platoon you're supposed to add a pair of "BEF Infantry Section" packs.
That's basically how they do most of their stuff IIRC. My Italians came in similarly organised boxes.

Which they are still in, of course.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Genghis Cohen posted:

From a couple pages back, but just wanted to say this is some top-level modelling! Really good effort and what a cool, unique unit from an interesting time and civilization.

Thanks! Getting more into sculpting opens up a lot of options. Like, I can't find a Xerxes or Darius III mini I like. So, maybe I can just sculpt one? It's pretty wild.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

trying to Google the myriad rules clarifications in chain of command is running into the problem that it's just giving me actual army powerpoints

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Continuing a discussion in the Indie Style miniatures wargaming thread with Count Thrashula, I have been wanting to get for about two years now into getting some historical gaming going on, specifically set during the Italian Wars of the Renaissance. It's been a slow and kind of stop start process though. I want to start moving into smaller scale minis, both due to storage concerns and also time concerns, so I've settled on 15mm as for me it is the perfect scale between small enough to paint fast, but also has enough detail that I actually like how it looks.

Except I don't own any 15mm scale minis appropriate to the time period, so it's been this slow process of finding where to buy them and only now have I started painting some test ones to see if I like them (I do!). The other main hangup has been rules system. I have Furioso, Landsknecth, Bad War, Never Mind the Billhooks and probably bunch of other stuff and...almost none of it really does it for me at least when reading the rules. Billhooks is the closest to sounding like it's enjoyable to play of the lot, but I've not had the chance to try it (since again, I don't have the minis) and also it feels weird when a block of landsknecht pikemen are like 24 people.

I have looked at Lion Rampant with some additional rules for Condottieri and hand-gunners and whatnot, but Lion Rampant also feels kind of weird for having big blocks of units fighting each other. Thrashula suggested To the Strongest! which apparently has a supplement of medieval army lists going all the way up to the 1500s so that covers the Italian Wars, and I am intrigued by not having to bother with measurement and shifting blocks of troups by like 24 degrees for every half a movement point per command point or any of that other poo poo so many of the other rank and flank games insist on using.

So I suppose the point of this post is - it is hard to do what you want, when you don't know what you want hah. I do know that I enjoy the look of that time period and I want to do wargaming in that time period. I also know I do not want to spend hours of my life trying to figure out what the gently caress the exact flags and composition of a specific battle was, because I have board wargames that already do that for me. So I suppose a question now would be - is To the Strongest! the kind of system that lets me play a historically-themed game in the Italian Wars without requiring me to actually waste more hours of my life on learning niche information I will never need? Or is there any other game that can do that?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

army powerpoints

Edit: This made me flashback to being force fed criminally boring powerpoints in boot while also being extremely tired from sleep deprivation. So hard in fact that I accidentally emptyquoted your post.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 2, 2023

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Jenx posted:

Continuing a discussion in the Indie Style miniatures wargaming thread with Count Thrashula, I have been wanting to get for about two years now into getting some historical gaming going on, specifically set during the Italian Wars of the Renaissance. It's been a slow and kind of stop start process though. I want to start moving into smaller scale minis, both due to storage concerns and also time concerns, so I've settled on 15mm as for me it is the perfect scale between small enough to paint fast, but also has enough detail that I actually like how it looks.

Except I don't own any 15mm scale minis appropriate to the time period, so it's been this slow process of finding where to buy them and only now have I started painting some test ones to see if I like them (I do!). The other main hangup has been rules system. I have Furioso, Landsknecth, Bad War, Never Mind the Billhooks and probably bunch of other stuff and...almost none of it really does it for me at least when reading the rules. Billhooks is the closest to sounding like it's enjoyable to play of the lot, but I've not had the chance to try it (since again, I don't have the minis) and also it feels weird when a block of landsknecht pikemen are like 24 people.

I have looked at Lion Rampant with some additional rules for Condottieri and hand-gunners and whatnot, but Lion Rampant also feels kind of weird for having big blocks of units fighting each other. Thrashula suggested To the Strongest! which apparently has a supplement of medieval army lists going all the way up to the 1500s so that covers the Italian Wars, and I am intrigued by not having to bother with measurement and shifting blocks of troups by like 24 degrees for every half a movement point per command point or any of that other poo poo so many of the other rank and flank games insist on using.

So I suppose the point of this post is - it is hard to do what you want, when you don't know what you want hah. I do know that I enjoy the look of that time period and I want to do wargaming in that time period. I also know I do not want to spend hours of my life trying to figure out what the gently caress the exact flags and composition of a specific battle was, because I have board wargames that already do that for me. So I suppose a question now would be - is To the Strongest! the kind of system that lets me play a historically-themed game in the Italian Wars without requiring me to actually waste more hours of my life on learning niche information I will never need? Or is there any other game that can do that?

Check your PMs, and I'll confess to being a shill for the ruleset but I think To the Strongest is the best of both worlds. At 15mm you'll have the choice of base sizes as determined by your grid / table size. I do 6" squares at 80mm frontages on my units, but you could go bigger if you wanted more spectacle or smaller if you wanted a more manageable grid / play area. I don't know poo poo about the Italian Wars but from a modelling perspective it means you can cram as many or as few little men onto your bases. I also game in 15mm, so a unit of infantry for me is two ranks of 6 figures. Expanding that to army scale it would be way more models than needed for a game of DbA but not undaunting. Most pikemen are "deep" units but you can represent that by just an extra dude on each rank, or an entire third one depending on how many you want to paint. I will say that only two units can occupy one square at a time so you have to factor some abstraction into the game. Don't expect to micro-manage your tercio formations on the board or whatever, it's just one of the downsides of a rulesystem covering such a wide period.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Glad to see you here! Yeah, getting into historicals is really confusing because there's no standard ruleset, no standard minis, you can't just walk into a hobby shop and buy a starter set (I mean, generally). It's very much a pick and mix personalized kind of hobby, which I really like.

I'll post more of an effort post tomorrow about renaissance wargaming when I'm not sleepy!

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Springfield Fatts posted:

Check your PMs, and I'll confess to being a shill for the ruleset but I think To the Strongest is the best of both worlds. At 15mm you'll have the choice of base sizes as determined by your grid / table size. I do 6" squares at 80mm frontages on my units, but you could go bigger if you wanted more spectacle or smaller if you wanted a more manageable grid / play area. I don't know poo poo about the Italian Wars but from a modelling perspective it means you can cram as many or as few little men onto your bases. I also game in 15mm, so a unit of infantry for me is two ranks of 6 figures. Expanding that to army scale it would be way more models than needed for a game of DbA but not undaunting. Most pikemen are "deep" units but you can represent that by just an extra dude on each rank, or an entire third one depending on how many you want to paint. I will say that only two units can occupy one square at a time so you have to factor some abstraction into the game. Don't expect to micro-manage your tercio formations on the board or whatever, it's just one of the downsides of a rulesystem covering such a wide period.

See that's the thing - I don't want to micromanage my tercios. At all. I just want to shove colorful dudes with cool banners against each other, because I'm a monkey and I like how colorful the Italian Wars are in terms of clothing and aesthetics. So honestly - for me that is a plus in favor of the system. I want it to have some of the feel of the period, but I don't need much.

Count Thrashula posted:

Glad to see you here! Yeah, getting into historicals is really confusing because there's no standard ruleset, no standard minis, you can't just walk into a hobby shop and buy a starter set (I mean, generally). It's very much a pick and mix personalized kind of hobby, which I really like.

I'll post more of an effort post tomorrow about renaissance wargaming when I'm not sleepy!

Yeah the confusion is real. Let me give an example from what I am doing right now and the relation between models and systems.

I bought a set of French gendarmes and some armored landsknechts in advancing poses from Old Glory's Blue Moon line of 15mm Italian Wars. The sculpts are beautiful and the minis look wonderful (although I am mildly annoyed that their "wire pikes" are just a simple straight piece of metal rod with no shaping at all to make it into an actual pike, and when emailed they simply told me that this is how they've always sold them and I am the first person to ever complain. 'k.) but here's the thing - I am basing the infantry on 40x20mm bases and the cavalry on 40x40, because that's what I can easily find in plastic and I want them on plastic bases not mdf.

The infantry pack has 30 figures in it, the gendarmes - 15. So okay, the gendarmes I'll put 3 on a base and it'll look awesome. But what do you do with the infantry? 3 look fine on a base, but 4 look significantly better and give you the feeling of an actual tight pike formation. But that in turn means I can either make 10 or 7 and a half bases. Like, yeah, I can just go with whatever I feel looks best for the army, but how many bases I need per unit kind of matters a lot depending on what system I am using.

And if I don't have a system that I have settled on, that means I can't really make the modeling decision on how to approach the actual miniatures, which just...again leads to paralysis as I try and figure out if I even want to bother with this historical poo poo or just play Men of Iron 4: Arquebus and be happy with a boardgame wargame rather than miniatures one.

For guys like the Yorkshire Gamer that have a 30+ years old collection of hundreds upon hundreds of 28mm scale minis this decision is a lot simpler. You pick a system you vaguely like and just shuffle some stands around. But for someone starting up, this can vary on whether I am going to be dumping 100 or 400+ dollars on tiny little metal men just so I can get 2 armies together to have a hope of actually playing a loving game at some point between now and the heat death of the universe.

That's what I have noticed is the problem. You either start small with skirmish stuff, which I don't care about, or if you try and go for actual large scale battles you just have to dive head-first into nothingness and just hope that eventually the minis you are making will maybe be used for a game.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I wouldn't worry too much - I got very upset that I had mismatched the chimneys on my Russian pre-dreadnought ships and I just couldn't figure out which would go on which - until I realised that nobody is ever EVER going to notice.

Coming from a prescriptive wargame background I can understand how things like base sizes and figures-per-base might seem like massive decisions with huge reprocussions but nothing could be further from the truth - I have 2mm figures based on 1x3/4" bases, 3mm figures on 1x2" bases and 1x1" bases, and 10mm figures on 40mm wide bases of varying depths. I have played literally dozens of games wich rules as broad as 'just make sure everyone has the same size units' to as narrow as 'units must have depth of 15mm for line fusiliers' - and it DIDN'T MATTER.

Hell, I'm a massive proponent of the Rampant series - I would strongly suggest Lion Rampant and The Pikeman's Lament - there is a combined ruleset called 'Improved Rampant' which can allow you to field units from both games which should absolutely cover the Italian Wars unless I'm mad. The point about that game is that it's allegedly a single-based skirmish game, but I just ignore that and play it with my 40mm-wide multi-based regiments. And it's totally playable.

You have a huge amount of flexibility in the game you play, so you're not far of the Yorkshire Gamer's position - pick some figures you like, in a scale you enjoy - and then you can pretty much play whatever: DBA/DBR in 15mm, Big-battle DBA on a bigger table, TTS, FKP, The Pikeman's Lament, etc. etc. - any game worth its salt will be base and unit-size agnostic.

ps. two ranks of six figures on a base is my personal sweet-spot now - mine are 10mm on 40mmx20mm bases, but I guess the same for 15mm on 60x30mm?

EDIT: pps. GO 10mm! SCALE OF KINGS! (pendraken.co.uk for lead, henry turner for STLs)

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Sep 2, 2023

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer

Jenx posted:

See that's the thing - I don't want to micromanage my tercios. At all. I just want to shove colorful dudes with cool banners against each other, because I'm a monkey and I like how colorful the Italian Wars are in terms of clothing and aesthetics. So honestly - for me that is a plus in favor of the system. I want it to have some of the feel of the period, but I don't need much.

Yeah, you want Billhooks, it has the feel, and you can use dice on your pike blocks instead of individual figure removal. It's a fun system and no reason not use 15mm if that's your jam.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Jenx posted:

Lol we're at the same spot in our club. We're off for the Italian Wars after many years of build up, but there are no perfect game for us. At least two of us are big fans of Lasalle 2, so we're working on a hack of Lasalle that would work for italian wars. Basically we keep a lot of the movement and activations rules, and are reworking the combat and shooting to be more in line with late medieval/renaissance instead of early 19th century battles. We're... partly there? There's a lot of elbow grease left. But yeah, the sum of this story is that there's no golden ticket for early renaissance rules and you'll either have to adjust something that you kinda like or make do with the parts of a ruleset that you think is decent enough.

That said, I think the best of the rulesets we tried when we looked for rules is Tercios. It had lots of nifty ideas for pike formation warfare and is available for free now. It was attached to a super nice set of 15mm minis that I think is now dead. It's geared for 30 years wars but might be possible to hack into an earlier period?
https://thewargamorium.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/268954336-brevis-editio-tercios-english.pdf

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Wowshawk posted:

Yeah, you want Billhooks, it has the feel, and you can use dice on your pike blocks instead of individual figure removal. It's a fun system and no reason not use 15mm if that's your jam.

Definitely. My plan is to get enough figures painted to play that while I get more bases done to actually play something larger scale which is what I want. I figured I can initially still count figure and use a die to count off casualties, then as I get more bases use one base to equal one figure, and just go back to "figure" removal hah.

Southern Heel - I do get that. I am aware that, in general, how many miniatures on what size base you use is mostly irrelevant for most historical games, and that's one of the things drawing me to it. However that sort of broad usage is, again, great for when you already have the figures. I don't yet.

And my main concern here is mostly balancing aesthetics (4 people per base simply looks better and more correct than 3) with balancing how much it's going to cost me to then get enough bases to play anything with them. Also, huh, I didn't know there was a mashup of Pikeman's Lament and Lion Rampant. I should check that out, thanks!

EDIT:

lilljonas posted:

Lol we're at the same spot in our club. We're off for the Italian Wars after many years of build up, but there are no perfect game for us. At least two of us are big fans of Lasalle 2, so we're working on a hack of Lasalle that would work for italian wars. Basically we keep a lot of the movement and activations rules, and are reworking the combat and shooting to be more in line with late medieval/renaissance instead of early 19th century battles. We're... partly there? There's a lot of elbow grease left. But yeah, the sum of this story is that there's no golden ticket for early renaissance rules and you'll either have to adjust something that you kinda like or make do with the parts of a ruleset that you think is decent enough.

That said, I think the best of the rulesets we tried when we looked for rules is Tercios. It had lots of nifty ideas for pike formation warfare and is available for free now. It was attached to a super nice set of 15mm minis that I think is now dead. It's geared for 30 years wars but might be possible to hack into an earlier period?
https://thewargamorium.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/268954336-brevis-editio-tercios-english.pdf

Ah this showed up just as I was posting hah. Yeah I am aware that hacking something together is probably my best bet to make something I actually like, however as you just described - it is a non-insignificant amount of work. And while I enjoy miniatures wargaming as a hobby, I don't enjoy it as much as other hobbies I have so there's unfortunately a ceiling to how much work I am willing to put into it. I already do heavy house ruling and hacking with the weekly RPG game I run and I even hacked together, created and printed a board game wargame for my previous campaign. But hacking together a miniatures ruleset for a thing I only mostly enjoy rather than really enjoy is just way more than I willing to put in.

Plus, there's the simple time constraints. I want to play some Italian Wars miniatures gaming where I shove colorful dudes with long sticks against each other. And having to build my own loving system while I am also painting the miniatures is a good way to basically not do that hah. I will have to check out Tercios though, as I keep collecting systems for this drat period, or at least anything appropriate enough.

Jenx fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Sep 2, 2023

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
So you wanna get into Renaissance era wargaming?

Alright, here's my effort post based on my own journey into gaming out the 30 Years War, the English Civil War, etc. It's quickly becoming my favorite historical era, not just on land, but you have the Anglo-Dutch wars at sea too! I'm sticking to land here though.

1. Basing
This is the biggest question I have any time I think about gaming a new era. What size? How many dudes on a base? How many bases per unit? Honestly you can find as many basing schemes as there are game rules. It's annoying. BUT- I've got a scheme I stick to, and I use it for everything from Ancients to Napoleonics (more modern stuff is a different story). I use the DBx system - De Bellis Antiquitatis was a ruleset made to play it any army from prehistory up through the late medieval era. It plays super fast and best of all its basing is SUPER standardized across all eras, to the point where a lot of other rulesets work really well with DBx* style basing. This works best for 15mm minis, but you can scale it up or down by just adding more dudes for smaller scales, etc.
*There are other De Bellis... games: Renationis, Napoleonesis, etc, hence using the term DBx

Skirmishers - 2 dudes on a 40x20mm base.
Light/Medium Infantry - 4 dudes on a 40x20 base
Heavy Infantry - 4 dudes on a 40x15 base (though I tend to do all infantry on 40x20 because I'm lazy)
Light Cavalry - 2 dudes on a 40x30 base
Regular Cavalry - 3 dudes on a 40x30 base
Artillery - 40x40

So basically, foot on 40x20, horse on 40x30, artillery on 40x40. That'll take care of like 95% of any kind of unit you need to field. Easy peasy. I won't touch on mini producers since you seem to be on top of that already, but if you have any questions just post.

2. Rules
From here the world is your oyster! Here's a sampling of some of the rulesets I'm familiar with:

DBA 3.0 - this goes up through Italian Condottieri and French Ordonnance, so it may be useful for you. It's a great starting point because the army lists tell you exactly how to build your army and each side only fields exactly 12 bases. Also the game plays on a 2 foot square, so again it's a super low barrier to entry. HOWEVER, the rules are written in basically lawyer-speak, since it was intended to be a tournament game with very little ambiguity, so it can be hard to understand, even if the rules are simple at their core. The guy's wife even wrote a book of her own helping people work through her husband's rules lol
DBR, DBA-R, DBM, DBMM - there are so many DBA spinoffs and I haven't messed with any of them really, but it's worth mentioning they exist if you want to play the same-ish rules in other eras.

Impetus/Baroque - two sister rulesets that together cover everything from ancient times through the end of the renaissance. This system uses larger bases (e.g. 80x40 for foot) but guess what! You can just put together four DBx bases to get the same footprint! Told you it was flexible. This system takes some of the concepts of DBA and modernizes them. The rules are really clear and again the list building is simple. One plus here is that the publisher (Dadi e Piombo) is Italian, so Baroque has a really fleshed out Italian Wars section.

Field of Glory: Renaissance (with Trade and Treachery supplement) - another really well researched book on the Italian wars. FOG is neat because it plays really similar, obviously, to the computer version. It's a litttttle more beer n pretzels, but I don't say that as a bad thing.

To The Strongest/For King and Parliament - saving my favorite for last. This system uses a grid, so you can just use little grass tufts or rocks or tiny black dots or whatever to mark it on your table. I was skeptical at first, but the movement doesn't feel at all hampered on a grid. All it does is remove some of the ambiguity that a lot of rulesets have. Also it uses playing cards instead of dice in a really interesting push-your-luck system for activating units. TtS handles ancient through medieval, and FKaP handles specifically the English Civil War, but a full Renaissance version is coming "soon". And the table can be whatever size you want it to be just by shrinking the grid. I use 100mm squares; I put two bases side by side to form one "unit" inside that square. I can play easily on a 3x4 mat.

3. TL;DR
Buy this variety pack of DBx bases: https://a.co/d/4ft4BmE
Base your guys up by foot/horse/arty
Buy To The Strongest with the Medieval army lists PDF if you want to game early Italian wars Condottieri
Buy Field of Glory Renaissance with the Trade and Treachery supplement if you want to play the rest of the Italian wars

There are so many other rulesets and stuff, but this has been my journey so far.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

This mostly seems to align with what I've seen as well. However I am explicitly making a point not to base these guys on pdf or other type of flat bases, instead opting for plastic ones so I can put magnets on the bottom for ease of both storage and transport. As such I am going be doing cavalry on 40x40 instead of 40x30. Honestly at 15mm it makes the gendarmes look much less cramped, and for me the aesthetics is a primary draw to this time period and conflict.

Thank you for the recommendations and suggestions. Rules-wise - I refuse to touch any DBA or derived game. I have Hordes of the Things, and until Barker learns how to write like a human I am not dealing with his poo poo. To the Strongest is very tempting since it seems to also cover the earlier Hussite Wars which are also something I am interested in (mostly due to how batshit the entire conflict is really) and so that'll be a potential future use for them too.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Jenx posted:

(although I am mildly annoyed that their "wire pikes" are just a simple straight piece of metal rod with no shaping at all to make it into an actual pike, and when emailed they simply told me that this is how they've always sold them and I am the first person to ever complain. 'k.)
Yeah this has been a thing for decades and it makes just enough sense to be very silly. You are supposed to hammer the end flat and then file it into the shape of a period-appropriate pointy stick. I've seen a few tutorials around over the years and my general opinion is "gently caress that".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I've somehow gotten chaos terminator shoulder pads embedded in my flesh multiple times over the years, I'm not loving around with a punji pit phalanx laying around my house for my dumb rear end to eventually lose an eye to or something.