Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I thougt they had a pretty good hit rate on the new characters from 9 on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Erron Black was a good character until they changed his X-Ray to no longer have a bullet with your name written on it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RHrXmLBp1k

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Ferra/Torr rules. Best character added Havik.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

The Kombat Kids were good.

Missing Cassie already.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

The only bad character from MKX/11 was Cetrion. I am prepared to die on this hill of being the only person who likes Kollector

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Kollector was kool.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Yeah, I liked Kollector.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wait people didn't like Kollector?

Orv
May 4, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Wait people didn't like Kollector?

Lotta people, somehow, he’s great

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
I thought he just wasn't fleshed out at all and had nothing to do with the story. Still cool though.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Until now, MK9 was the only one with no new kharacters in the base roster right? Even Armageddon had those 2 dudes.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Minidust posted:

Until now, MK9 was the only one with no new kharacters in the base roster right? Even Armageddon had those 2 dudes.

Does Cyber Sub Zero count?
He was cool and new

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Scrap Dragon posted:

The only bad character from MKX/11 was Cetrion.

I wouldn't even say bad. loving annoying to play against. But it's not like you'd say ah, Dr. Fate in Injustice 2 is a bad character because I groan whenever my opponent picks him.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

PostNouveau posted:

I wouldn't even say bad. loving annoying to play against. But it's not like you'd say ah, Dr. Fate in Injustice 2 is a bad character because I groan whenever my opponent picks him.

Nah, Cetrion was a dumpster fire of a character from the get go. Elder God of Virtue, Life, and Light? Yeah, that sounds like someone that should be playable to start with. Then give her the most annoying moveset on top of that.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I never understood how/why Sub Zero went from a Cyborg to flesh and blood in Mortal Kombat X.

Like sure, guys like Jax and a few others who were turned into undead at the end of Mortal Kombat 9 turned back into humans because Sonya Blade kicked a Sorceror in the balls a lot. That's an explanation I can get behind.

But Sub Zero?
It really felt like....

Scorpion: Sub Zero? How come you are human again.

Sub Zero: Let me tell you something...it wasn't easy! (No further explanation is given.)

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I played Kollector in MK11 and was very happy I got his tiny skeleton cosmetic for his lantern plus the opening/ending where he channels its dark energies. IMO.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

The Question IRL posted:

I never understood how/why Sub Zero went from a Cyborg to flesh and blood in Mortal Kombat X.

Like sure, guys like Jax and a few others who were turned into undead at the end of Mortal Kombat 9 turned back into humans because Sonya Blade kicked a Sorceror in the balls a lot. That's an explanation I can get behind.

But Sub Zero?
It really felt like....

Scorpion: Sub Zero? How come you are human again.

Sub Zero: Let me tell you something...it wasn't easy! (No further explanation is given.)

The MKX Comic explains it a bit.

Quan Chi didn't like his robotic body, so he created one out of flesh for him.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
It was weirder he was an undead robot in the first place.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Sockser posted:

Does Cyber Sub Zero count?
He was cool and new

She was DLC, but we also got Skarlet.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Perestroika posted:

The launch trailer for 11 was the hypest poo poo ever, I hope they'll manage to match that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zwQPJmg-Kg

There are few hills I am prepared to die on but this being the #1 HYPEST KING poo poo gently caress YOU trailer of all time for any film, show, or game is one of them.

quote:

All of these were hot garbage and even resurrecting the 3D era jobbers is an improvement

lmao, another gem from the feeble minded oaf flummoxed by the concept of blocking high and blocking low.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Unbound posted:

The MKX Comic explains it a bit.

Quan Chi didn't like his robotic body, so he created one out of flesh for him.

But then why didn't all that ball stomping not turn him back into a Cyber Ninja? Another storytelling failure.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

The Question IRL posted:

But then why didn't all that ball stomping not turn him back into a Cyber Ninja? Another storytelling failure.

Because, just like the other revenants, he was purified. You know, like when you use a filter on water.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Jamesman posted:

I think it's more likely that they wrote themselves into a situation they later changed their minds on, either because they didn't know what to actually do with what they set up, or they came up with this other plot they liked better.

It's a WB studio, so Occam's razor says anything weird or questionable about it was some word handed down from corporate.

What I'd imagine is that someone at WB saw what they had racked up, with a redeemed Scorpion, good guy Sub-Zero, evil Raiden, and Netherrealm Power Couple Liu Kang & Kitana, and vetoed most of it based upon transmedia synergy with the live-action/animated movies.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Bring back Tremor and pair him up with the Lin Kuei. There's others I'd like to have as well but I really want an "Oops all ninjas" mortal kombat.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Wanderer posted:

It's a WB studio, so Occam's razor says anything weird or questionable about it was some word handed down from corporate.

What I'd imagine is that someone at WB saw what they had racked up, with a redeemed Scorpion, good guy Sub-Zero, evil Raiden, and Netherrealm Power Couple Liu Kang & Kitana, and vetoed most of it based upon transmedia synergy with the live-action/animated movies.

This happens with pretty much every long running franchise, including DC comics which happens under the same umbrella. Once a status quo gets established any story that alters that same status quo will eventually be smashed back into place by somebody. Sometimes it comes from the corporate overlords, sometimes it comes from weird fans, sometimes both, sometimes a secret third thing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
But the status quo isn't being reset. It's another completely different status quo.

like if this was all about trans media synergy we wouldn't have alive scorpion who is a totally different dude, fire god liu kang, humble monk raiden, wizard rain, princess mileena, a bunch of obscure nobodies revived as major characters, etc

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Its a reboot baby.

A much bigger and more transformative one than MK9 even.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Or NRS just doesn't have great writers

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think a reboot can be good. Potentially

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They didn't have much choice but to reboot after the last one. I guess they coulda got cosmic with it or something?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
People really overthinking this imo, WBD couldn’t care less about MK lore as long as the game has Scorpion, Sub Zero and fatalities

There’s timeline reset stuff because… that’s how MK11 ended?? Like I get that studio mandates are a thing, but I don’t see it playing an especially big role here

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

But the status quo isn't being reset. It's another completely different status quo.

like if this was all about trans media synergy we wouldn't have alive scorpion who is a totally different dude, fire god liu kang, humble monk raiden, wizard rain, princess mileena, a bunch of obscure nobodies revived as major characters, etc

I'm talking about MK11 suddenly abandoning everything to do a time-travel plot, not the MK1 reboot.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I don't want old Johnny Cage, I want young Johnny Cage, and therefore rebooting the timeline is a good idea.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Sockser posted:

I don't want old Johnny Cage, I want young Johnny Cage, and therefore rebooting the timeline is a good idea.

It would have been great if Liu Kang's reboot had made Johnny's dad not terrible (as he was implied to be in MK11) and made him basically old Johnny just to have that dynamic continue forward

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Wanderer posted:

I'm talking about MK11 suddenly abandoning everything to do a time-travel plot, not the MK1 reboot.

But MK11 still has Liu and Kitana as a couple, Past Scorpion being redeemed after present Scorpion's death, Cassie and Jacqui, Liu becoming a god, dead modern Sonya in like the first fifteen minutes. and ends with the timeline being exploded. I don't think that reads as "corporate vetoed them doing new things".

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 31, 2023

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Unlucky7 posted:

As an aside: did MK11 do anything with Corrupted God Raiden or did they really just yeet him out of the timeline?

He kind of got Sonya killed in the beginning and then otherwise was used as a warning for what Past Raiden could become. Past Raiden got desperate enough to wield Shinnok's amulet, corrupting him, which led to him figuring out Kronika's plan and how to stop her.

I think the whole point of the time rift plot was to showcase the different appearances for the characters that came with the gear system. Plus Kronika was at least set up since MK9. She's supposed to be the entity that appears in Jade's ending that possesses her body.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if that was the original plan for the story. Jade doesn't appear in MKX's story mode at all, but Kitana's ending has her get a vision of how the original timeline would have gone had Raiden not done his time travel spell. She saw that while Earthrealm was destroyed, Kitana would have survived Armageddon and would have led the attack that would have killed Shao Kahn and brought everlasting peace. The ending revealed Jade standing next to her while she received the vision, making me think that Kronika/Jade was trying to give Kitana more reason to want Raiden dead for the sequel.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

But MK11 still has Liu and Kitana as a couple, Past Scorpion being redeemed after present Scorpion's death, Cassie and Jacqui, Liu becoming a god, dead modern Sonya in like the first fifteen minutes. and ends with the timeline being exploded. I don't think that reads as "corporate vetoed them doing new things".

They built up to a Raiden heel turn with Liu Kang as lord of the Netherrealm and then suddenly abandoned it in MK11 in favor of a time-travel plot that hit two successive reset switches and let them bring back a host of characters who'd been conclusively killed off by that point. If your two theories are "maybe these writers aren't great" or "WB made one of their studios do something stupid," I'd go with the latter every time.

After all, the writers have visibly done quite a few things right, because people give a poo poo about characters like the Kombat Kids or Kollector to begin with.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Wanderer posted:

They built up to a Raiden heel turn with Liu Kang as lord of the Netherrealm and then suddenly abandoned it in MK11 in favor of a time-travel plot that hit two successive reset switches and let them bring back a host of characters who'd been conclusively killed off by that point. If your two theories are "maybe these writers aren't great" or "WB made one of their studios do something stupid," I'd go with the latter every time.

After all, the writers have visibly done quite a few things right, because people give a poo poo about characters like the Kombat Kids or Kollector to begin with.

Ah yeah, kollector, the guy who was only in the game because he was to be executed when the time-quake happened and wasn't. Pinnacle of writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A pity getting old Sonya killed didn't mean young Sonya could be brought in with a different voice actress.