Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

EconDad posted:

Just did an auction draft where we could keep "up to" four keepers. I'm sure glad i kept four, since my tentative drafting came through yet again.

$300 budget. 12 teams. My WRs are atrocious.
PPR. 1 point per "rushing first down", also. 6 point passing TDs.

QB: Jalen Hurts, kept (48)
RB: Austin Ekeler, kept (59)
RB: Nick Chubb, kept (46)
WR: George Pickens (15)
WR: Tyler Boyd (4)
WR: Hunter Renfrow (2)
TE: Evan Engram (9)
W/R/T: Travis Etienne, kept (22)
W/R/T: Dameon Pierce (33)
SUPERFLEX: Bryce Young (37)
K: Jason Sanders (2)

----
Bench
QB: Sam Howell (12)
RB: Jeff Wilson (2)
RB: Devon Achane (6)
RB: Chuba Hubbard (2)
RB: Tank Bigsby (4)
RB: Deon Jackson (2)
RB: Josh Kelley (2)
RB: Isaiah Spiller (1)
RB: Leonard Fournette (2)
WR: Zay Jones (2)
WR: Darius Slayton (3)
WR: Jalin Hyatt (6)
WR: Jarvis Landry (1)

-----
The first down point for rushing makes a huge difference. It makes RBs like Chubb, Pierce, Ekeler so valuable. PPR makes Ekeler even more valuable. Jalen Hurts is a machine in this setting. I imagine Bryce Young will be too. However... I just about guarantee I'll be trading an RB or three for some WR action. I seem to usually overlook WR, but this is as bad as it has been for me.

I really like you, so I'm going to be blunt: In a PPR where you can start 5 wrs and you are strong at RB, rostering just 7 WRs total vs 7 bench RBs is not going to give you the gas you need down the stretch. Ditch those RBs for WR depth.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Scruffy the janitor posted:

I know it's PPR but chubb and jacobs coming all the way back is insane. How many teams?

10 teams
Went:
1- JJ
20- Chubb
21- Jacobs
40- Allen
41- Andrews

Feel like I got some great value this draft.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
We're looking for 2 more goons to complete our 12 team 0.5 PPR Yahoo league! $30 buy-in.

Draft is on the 4th @ 9:30 EDT.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4039331

:getin:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

$300 for auction budget? Isn’t the standard $200?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

$300 for auction budget? Isn’t the standard $200?

Looks like they made 24 selections. I think 16 is the most common? Which if it is, would make the $300 make sense since 24 is 150% of 16 and $300 is 150% of 200.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Chernabog posted:

10 teams
Went:
1- JJ
20- Chubb
21- Jacobs
40- Allen
41- Andrews

Feel like I got some great value this draft.

What the gently caress?

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.

darkspider42 posted:

2 spot have opened up for Tier B in the Goon Tier -

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4038206

The most complicated way to play fake football.

Let me know if anyone has any questions or would like to join, rules are on the first post and we've been running for over 10 years now.

Still looking for 1 more!

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Tier B is hell. But don't give up hope - I was in Tier A once. There were flowers and trees and lakes and little critters everywhere! Splendid! But I couldn't escape the curse of Tier B and I was dragged back down by the maw of a football demon..I pine for freedom and one day I'll have it yet again.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Is there an easy way to copy/paste a plain text version of your team from ESPN?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Anti-Hero posted:

My keeper league does this, and I agree it seems pointless.

That said, we are now at 4 Keepers! Next year we go back to redraft and then build back up from there, 1 keeper at a time.

I got second place in a 10 team 1PPR league with the below (2022 roster). Highlighted are my 3 locks for this year's keepers. I have an idea on who I'd take for my 4th but I want to see what others think first.

QB: Jalen Hurts, Trevor Lawrence
RB: CMC, King Henry, James Conner, Brian Robinson, AJ Dillon, D'onta Foreman, Tyler Allgeier
WR: Higgins, Godwin, Christian Watson, Marquise Brown
TE: Hockenson
K: Gould
DST: Baltimore

fake edit: and choosing not to use a keeper will not get you an extra pick :(

The thread moves fast and I'm sure this got missed.

I'm leaning hard toward Hock for my fourth keeper. Again, this league is set at 4 keepers, they replace your first 4 picks, and you can't opt out of keeping and get that draft pick back. Next year we go back to full redraft.

My WRs aren't great, but I'm confident Godwin, Higgins, Cooper, and others of that tier will be available during the draft. After Hock the TE value drops sharply.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

My team:

QB: Jalen Hurts
RB: CMC, Josh Jacobs, Breece Hall, Zeke Elliott, Jeff Wilson, Gus Edwards, Donta Foreman
WR: Diontae Johnson, Terry Mac, Michael Pittman, Zay Flowers
TE: Evan Engram

12-team league, our scoring is half-PPR and the only slightly non-standard thing is that we start 2 RB / 3 WR / 1 TE / 1 Flex.

Everyone in the draft was going hard on WR's (we do start 3) and I felt like at my spot, I kept getting presented with better RB value. So I ended up with a pretty great starting RB corps but super weak WR's. There is a team with the opposite problem who has offered Amon-Ra St. Brown for Josh Jacobs. That definitely thins me out at RB, but creates a more balanced team.

Thoughts on Josh Jacobs for Amon-Ra in half-PPR?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I joined a new league to reconnect with some college buddies, and the commish has gotten real weird with the settings. I find this all kinda dumb but it's a free bragging rights league so whatever. Notable changes from Yahoo defaults:
0.5 PPR (normal, just including for context)
6 point passing TD (default is 4)
1 point per rushing or receiving first down
0.5 points per pass completion, -0.5 per pass incompletion (applied to the QB)
-2 points per interception (default is -1)
1 point per 25 return yards (default is 0)
Pretty much doubled all DST scoring as well as the penalty if you give up a ton of points
Significant penalties for missed FG/PAT

12 teams, 1QB / 2RB / 3WR / 1 TE / 1 FLEX / 1 DST / 1 K / 5 Bench

There's enough moving parts that I'm having trouble thinking through the implications. I should make this into a drat spreadsheet. I did try plugging this into the Football Absurdity beer sheet but there's no first down scoring.

A top QB seems mandatory between the buffs to passing and point per rushing first down. Mahomes' and to a lesser extent Burrow's low rushing stats are somewhat offset by high passing TD and completion totals. Daniel Jones actually pops too as an emergency option.

Very top end unicorn RBs like CMC and Bijan(???) are boosted by double dipping on rushing and receiving first downs, otherwise it seems to mostly help WRs and RBs equally. It does make top end players at either position even more valuable. Kelce becomes even more of a golden god.

Are the DST buffs enough to justify actually investing a mid round pick on one? Which teams will be good and bad is so random each year it still seems questionable.

I have no idea if the other people in the league are paying attention to this. It's a mix of fantasy degens and "take Tom Brady first overall cause I'm from Boston" folks so the draft should be pretty funny regardless. But it makes it very hard to know if I can expect guys to go around their normal ADP or if I need to take Josh Allen in the first cause there will be a run on QBs.

Appreciate any insight.

Drunk Nerds posted:

What the gently caress?

Yeah how does this team happen lol. This is like when I see people on twitter complaining that they got in an Underdog room with 9 bots all deliberately taking poo poo teams to boost someone up

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 30, 2023

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Docjowles posted:

Yeah how does this team happen lol. This is like when I see people on twitter complaining that they got in an Underdog room with 9 bots all deliberately taking poo poo teams to boost someone up

I had 5th pick in my casual family league and ended up with Chase and Tyreek. Sometimes it just happens, but yeah that starting lineup is absolutely stacked.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I have Cole Kmet and Roshon Johnson so I feel you guys. We're all winners here.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Docjowles posted:

Appreciate any insight.

This is sort of like my work league, except we use standard rosters and don't subtract points for missed 50+ yd FGs.

The way it was explained to me is that it tries to find a balance between classes of RB/WRs and to reward efficient QBs, to make it closer to "regular football". Whether it actually does that or not is another story. It definitely changes values though, and adds drama since weeks have been lost when a QB throws incompletions in garbage time.

Making a spreadsheet will help, because you'll definitely want to track things you don't normally track (1st downs gained, incompletions thrown, return yards).

I kinda like the league because it lets me value players differently, but I can totally understand people being annoyed that they can't use the same valuations they use in their six other leagues.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

It's a 10 team so you get better teams overall, but 3-4 of the the owners are bad at drafting and a few more said they didn't have time to prepare this year.
Also, they always panic when a QB is taken early by one of the bad owners so they go on a QB run which frees up value at RB and WR. This draft went my way too because Andrews was still available at the 4-5 turn so then they went on a TE run after I picked him, freeing even more value to come back to me.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Where should Jonathan Taylor be ranked now with him missing the first 4 weeks of the season?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I know exactly where JT should go:

Someone else's team

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

RCarr posted:

Where should Jonathan Taylor be ranked now with him missing the first 4 weeks of the season?

I've got him around RB18, and at the top of a large tier of high uncertainty deadzone backs. So like the same general tier as Kamara, James Conner, Dalvin Cook, and Miles Sanders.

I'd say the uncertainty around his return to play should really have him below those guys though.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I passed on Taylor to take Mahomes in the first and was laughed at by my league.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

internet inc posted:

We're looking for 2 more goons to complete our 12 team 0.5 PPR Yahoo league! $30 buy-in.

Draft is on the 4th @ 9:30 EDT.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4039331

:getin:

I’m collecting leagues like infinity stones so if you still need a slot filled I’m in

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Drunk Nerds posted:

I know exactly where JT should go:

Someone else's team

You could not loving pay me to draft Taylor this year. I don't have many hard and fast rules for draft but a big one is "don't draft someone that doesn't want to play football."

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, he was on my "do not draft" list as well.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I still can't even tell if Taylor is actually injured or he's on the PUP because Irsay is trying to punish him to make a very stupid point the rest of us aren't high enough to understand

Either way, yeah, I don't want any part of JT. Unless he falls so far that the opportunity cost is minimal but someone else will definitely scoop him up before that happens.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
I feel like the universe will correct itself with all the JT hate and he’ll be the top scoring RB from Weeks 5-17 because that’s how the Fantasy Gods work.

In our 4-player keeper league where basically each team has at least 1-2 solid studs kept, one guy kept JT, London, Pickens, and Pierce and we all laughed at him.

He’ll probably loving sweep.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Anti-Hero posted:

The thread moves fast and I'm sure this got missed.

I'm leaning hard toward Hock for my fourth keeper. Again, this league is set at 4 keepers, they replace your first 4 picks, and you can't opt out of keeping and get that draft pick back. Next year we go back to full redraft.

My WRs aren't great, but I'm confident Godwin, Higgins, Cooper, and others of that tier will be available during the draft. After Hock the TE value drops sharply.

What pick do you have?

I'd keep Higgins if it were me. Sure TE drops off quick but you can put something decent together via streaming (or draft Hockenson depending on where you pick) but if you miss out on Higgins your WR core could be dire.

If you really feel like getting nuts in a PPR league, drop Henry and keep both Higgins and Hockenson probably don't do this

GibbonTrainer
Apr 19, 2010
My 10 team PPR draft was a rollercoaster. Lots of dart throws. Panicked after drafting three WRs to start.

QB: Dak Prescott
WR: Ja’Marr Chase
WR: Amon-Ra St Brown
WR: Jaylen Waddle
RB: Alexander Mattison
RB: Breece Hall
TE: TJ Hockenson
Flex: James Conner
Flex: James Cook
Flex: Brandin Cooks

BN: Jeff Wilson
BN: Zay Jones
BN: Donovan Peoples-Jones
BN: Justyn Ross
BN: John Metchie

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

MakaVillian posted:

What pick do you have?

I'd keep Higgins if it were me. Sure TE drops off quick but you can put something decent together via streaming (or draft Hockenson depending on where you pick) but if you miss out on Higgins your WR core could be dire.

If you really feel like getting nuts in a PPR league, drop Henry and keep both Higgins and Hockenson probably don't do this

We won't know our draft order until it opens, so no clue.

Higgins was my first gut choice as a keeper over Hock, I just started looking at draft sheets and saw how TE just drops after Hock (whom I got two years in a row via draft and it was nice never worrying about that position) and got nervous.

Higgins hosed me a lot last year with boom/bust and injuries.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Anti-Hero posted:

Redraft leagues where the commish doesn’t do some fun way to determine draft order at least a few days before the draft are shenanigans.

Doing endless mocks for days leading up to the draft only to have your unpredictable idiot buddies throw your plans completely off the rails is half the fun.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Whoreson Welles posted:

Doing endless mocks for days leading up to the draft only to have your unpredictable idiot buddies throw your plans completely off the rails is half the fun.

Our commissioner has always done a “write names on slips of paper and draw from a hat” draft order thing a week before but this year got hold of a wheel of fortune and we did it right at the start of the draft

I did way less mock drafts not knowing my pick # which was good because like you said once people start doing weird poo poo your strategy might change in a hurry

I drafted 2nd in a 1 QB snake draft and QBs started flying off the board late second round

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Whoreson Welles posted:

Redraft leagues where the commish doesn’t do some fun way to determine draft order at least a few days before the draft are shenanigans.

My first home league draft of the season is tomorrow and I am picking 11 :argh: Except I couldn’t get too mad cause the commish had his adorable daughter clumsily pick and read names out of a hat :3:

My much more degenerate league always does something very dumb like drinking games or asking 40 year old slobs to do feats of athleticism

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Docjowles posted:

My much more degenerate league always does something very dumb like drinking games or asking 40 year old slobs to do feats of athleticism

This is 1000% times better than any stupid luck of the draw method.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Anti-Hero posted:

Higgins was my first gut choice as a keeper over Hock, I just started looking at draft sheets and saw how TE just drops after Hock (whom I got two years in a row via draft and it was nice never worrying about that position) and got nervous.

Higgins hosed me a lot last year with boom/bust and injuries.

How many WRs do you start?

If it was Kelce/Andrews absolutely, but Hock is at the top of the TE blob which :effort:.

Don't necessarily project injuries from last year onto this year.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Whoreson Welles posted:

Yeah my league got way better when our Commish started dressing up like a ref and doing lotto ball picks a few weeks ahead of time. It's just better when you've got a silly announcement.

Speaking of, does anyone know anything about simulating/recording a Mario Kart race?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Just do a clown race https://www.online-stopwatch.com/clown-race/

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

MakaVillian posted:

How many WRs do you start?

If it was Kelce/Andrews absolutely, but Hock is at the top of the TE blob which :effort:.

Don't necessarily project injuries from last year onto this year.

1QB/2WR/2RB/1TE/1FLX/1K/1DST

I think you've convinced me. I'll blame you when I invariably get stuck with streaming TE nobodies.

If that happens I think Musgrave will go off.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I make likenesses of the league members I'm WWE2K19 and stream a royal rumble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ3o06tBKtc

The best part is it requires 20 wrestlers so I make all these weird characters like a Yeti and no one knows who's going to run into the ring until the name is called.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Anti-Hero posted:

I'll blame you when I invariably get stuck with streaming TE nobodies.

As you should.

I'm drafting the hell out of Gerald Everett as a late round TE fwiw

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

In all fairness "TE nobodies" is like 90% of the league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Drunk Nerds posted:

I really like you, so I'm going to be blunt: In a PPR where you can start 5 wrs and you are strong at RB, rostering just 7 WRs total vs 7 bench RBs is not going to give you the gas you need down the stretch. Ditch those RBs for WR depth.

I like the bluntness. One other thing to note though is… receiving yards are capped in terms of value. Rushing yards are at 0.1 per and receiving at 0.07.

So it’s … sort of nuanced.