Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I was playing all summer with this old man at the park who was, just, terrible. I never lost a game that I didn't beat myself in (I have a go-to move I like to call constantly blundering my queen to a knight).

I can't just win! I also have to feel good about my win. I'm a difficult person. I feel good about some of the checkmates I found, but that's all. I offered to teach him the scant theory I do know, so it's not like I was just mashing him into a paste like a big jerk. However, the more he refused instruction the meaner I got - Fried Liver, Wayward Queen, stuff like that - that I'll admit to.

He told me this week we're not playing anymore because... long story short, he won't just go get his dog spayed. Can't stand him but nobody else smokes weed and plays chess, so we have no choice but to get along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Just learned that Garry Kasparov was named after Harry Truman

and also that in Russia, they call Harry Potter "Garry Potter", Prince Harry "Prince Garry" etc.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

PerniciousKnid posted:

There's basically infinity people who are better than you at chess, and infinity people who are worse than you, so just play somewhere that you can get a close game and have fun. The purpose of a rating is to facilitate fun matchups, not to evaluate your worth.

This is loser talk. OTSS! ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE!

Perry Mason Jar posted:

He told me this week we're not playing anymore because... long story short, he won't just go get his dog spayed. Can't stand him but nobody else smokes weed and plays chess, so we have no choice but to get along.

If you are in the Chicagoland area, you just made a new best friend. :v:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

made a move mostly to make the position as complicated as possible, only to have the dumb algorithm at chess.com give it the rare double exclam

white to move for winning advantage

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Qxc6 bxc6 Ne7+ Kh7 Nxg6

if Bxe2, Nxf8 Kxf8 b7, promote

if Kxg6, Bxf1 and then Rxa6 and you're already up a piece with a passed pawn on the b6 and the ability to easily create more

Elyv fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 24, 2023

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Qxc6 bxc6, Ne7+ forking the queen and getting you a passed pawn?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

i keep thinking about whether or not I want to get back into chess, it was a thing I did growing up and I got pretty good(~1850 UCSF). I've probably played less than 3 hours of chess total in the last 10 years though

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Elyv posted:

Qxc6 bxc6 Ne7+ Kh7 Nxg6

if Bxe2, Nxf8 Kxf8 b7, promote

if Kxg6, Bxf1 and then Rxa6 and you're already up a piece with a passed pawn on the b6 and the ability to easily create more

yeah, this is it. i wouldn't mark it as !! in my notes because the line is fairly straightforward, but chess.com's algorithms loving love themselves a temporary queen sacrifice like nothing else. i kind of lazily wandered into the position because i thought my opponents pawns were stupid enough and mine were good enough that probably anything was winning, which luckily turned out to be correct

edit: web browser analysis tool has the strongest line for black as 1.Qxc6 Qf7 2.Bh5 Qxh5 3.Qe6+ Qf7 4.Qxf7+ Kxf7 5. Nd6+ Ke7 6.Nf5+ Ke6 7.Nxg7+ Kf7 8.Kxf1; position rated as +5.0 not a line i saw, but comforting to know it was there

Elyv posted:

i keep thinking about whether or not I want to get back into chess, it was a thing I did growing up and I got pretty good(~1850 UCSF). I've probably played less than 3 hours of chess total in the last 10 years though

the proliferation of online chess since the pandemic has made it very easy to enjoy the game casually. otherwise it's not like the game has changed

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 24, 2023

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

chess.com used to give brilliants if a move was better than stockfish's shallow evaluation, after you made the move and it re-evaluated with more depth (which meant it'd give you a prize if your move was like 3 centipawns better than its first stab, even though the eval is effectively unchanged, a lot more often than the intended point of a move that requires evaluating a dozen moves ahead to see). My one and only old chess.com brilliant was moving a king differently in a winning king and pawn endgame (both moves were totally fine and winning)

Then they changed it to just give a brilliant for making a sacrifice that was the best move. Everyone is happier now that they get brilliant moves.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

It does give brilliant moves for non-sacrifice plays, I got one the other day for what really felt like a very mundane move. I even went down in evaluation a bit.

Can you find the brilliant move here? White to move for the coveted !!

Rfd1, somehow.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 24, 2023

mortal
Oct 12, 2012
I think letting the bishop hang counts as a sacrifice for the purposes of awarding a brilliancy, even if you're just getting a bishop back one move later.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i once got like 6 brilliant moves in a row purely because neither me nor my opponent realized that I'd left a rook hanging for half the game

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

mortal posted:

I think letting the bishop hang counts as a sacrifice for the purposes of awarding a brilliancy, even if you're just getting a bishop back one move later.

That could be. The line that the game eval suggested actually has black offer a queen trade on b6, that white accepts after trading the knight for the light square bishop, and ultimately takes the pawn with the hanging bishop. It's strange. I think the idea is to lure the king to d7.

Instead my opponent and I both messed up for several moves in a row and ultimately drew when I messed up the end game. I took a rook with my queen and should have put him in check instead, landing myself in perpetual check.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Olothreutes posted:

It does give brilliant moves for non-sacrifice plays, I got one the other day for what really felt like a very mundane move. I even went down in evaluation a bit.

Can you find the brilliant move here? White to move for the coveted !!

Rfd1, somehow.

Makes sense. Pins the bishop after queen takes knight and king retakes allowing royal fork

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

cock hero flux posted:

i once got like 6 brilliant moves in a row purely because neither me nor my opponent realized that I'd left a rook hanging for half the game

I laughed out loud at this.

Content: how is this a 1900 rated puzzle lmao https://lichess.org/training/ImPzs

mortal
Oct 12, 2012

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

I laughed out loud at this.

Content: how is this a 1900 rated puzzle lmao https://lichess.org/training/ImPzs

11 straight checks, 11 straight King moves leading to that position. Must have felt good for white.

Sometimes I get puzzles that seem too easy, and there's usually an attractive, easier to see move like capturing material that distracts from the best move. Not sure about this one though.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
A knight move seems to win a queen. Missing mate in 1 because "it's too obvious" starts to seem like a possibility

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Managed to beat stockfish 5 on lichess :woop:

Vienna is the first opener I'm trying to study and it messed up the gambit pretty badly losing a horse early game

Small steps but I'm loving the Vienna so far. Online has been a rollercoaster sitting around 1000 in blitz. I'm still hanging a poo poo ton of queens

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I just studied the vienna gambit last week and had my opponents play 2. Nf6 exactly 0 times :eng99:

But! I am rocketing up the rapid ranks on lichess and it feels great. Turns out chess is much easier when thinking about decisions doesn't cause you to lose on time. Presumably my opponents also have that advantage but they don't seem to use it.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

fisting by many posted:

I just studied the vienna gambit last week and had my opponents play 2. Nf6 exactly 0 times :eng99:

But! I am rocketing up the rapid ranks on lichess and it feels great. Turns out chess is much easier when thinking about decisions doesn't cause you to lose on time. Presumably my opponents also have that advantage but they don't seem to use it.

my absolute favorite vienna line is the copycat where you bring your queen out 4. Qg4 and black responds Qf6. it gets spicy!

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

big trivia FAIL posted:

my absolute favorite vienna line is the copycat where you bring your queen out 4. Qg4 and black responds Qf6. it gets spicy!

Oh yes I love that one. Have yet to see it happen vs a human though

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I am still very bad at chess but I experienced the thrill of (incompetently) setting a trap and having it work the other night and I want to share.

From about here, turn 26, I am trying to mate with the queen and knight, but I'm under intense attack and down two points of material.

26. Ne3 is a blunder, I lost a forced checkmate on this move, but I was staring at 25 ...Qc2 and thinking I had to defend a checkmating attack and lol I missed it until two seconds after I went Ne3. But then I realized my opponent must have also missed it, so...

get ready for 11 blunders in a row!

after 26 ...Qc3
27. Kg1 d2?!
28. Kh2 a5
29. Nf5?! Rd3??
30. f3?? a4??
31. Rhf1?? a3??
32. Rf2?? a2??

This was my clever trap

I could see that taking the pawn on d2 would start a trade sequence that I would "lose" - and my opponent was trying to promote the a pawn and I hoped they'd see the same losing trade sequence and go for it. I was just trying to get the black queen off of the a1h8 diagonal so I could go Qxg7 and checkmate.

And it worked!

33. Rfxd2?? Rxd2??
34. Rxd2?? Qxd2??
35. Qxg7# 1-0

lmao I'm so terrible lol
950 rated rapid is where all the funniest chess happens I think

e. note that I did not see at any point that after Nh6, my opponent is losing after Ke8, Nxf7, Rxf7 because then Qb8 just leads to a sequence of taking both black rooks as she marches left across the board and the king is back rank mated. So I never saw I had a forced mate other than Qxg7.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 28, 2023

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

I am still very bad at chess but I experienced the thrill of (incompetently) setting a trap and having it work the other night and I want to share.

From about here, turn 26, I am trying to mate with the queen and knight, but I'm under intense attack and down two points of material.

26. Ne3 is a blunder, I lost a forced checkmate on this move, but I was staring at 25 ...Qc2 and thinking I had to defend a checkmating attack and lol I missed it until two seconds after I went Ne3. But then I realized my opponent must have also missed it, so...

get ready for 11 blunders in a row!

after 26 ...Qc3
27. Kg1 d2?!
28. Kh2 a5
29. Nf5?! Rd3??
30. f3?? a4??
31. Rhf1?? a3??
32. Rf2?? a2??

This was my clever trap

I could see that taking the pawn on d2 would start a trade sequence that I would "lose" - and my opponent was trying to promote the a pawn and I hoped they'd see the same losing trade sequence and go for it. I was just trying to get the black queen off of the a1h8 diagonal so I could go Qxg7 and checkmate.

And it worked!

33. Rfxd2?? Rxd2??
34. Rxd2?? Qxd2??
35. Qxg7# 1-0

lmao I'm so terrible lol
950 rated rapid is where all the funniest chess happens I think

e. note that I did not see at any point that after Nh6, my opponent is losing after Ke8, Nxf7, Rxf7 because then Qb8 just leads to a sequence of taking both black rooks as she marches left across the board and the king is back rank mated. So I never saw I had a forced mate other than Qxg7.

What a rollercoaster

just to confirm, Qg7 would have been mate right? lol

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Once football season is done, I think I'm gonna try to hit up a local chess club. Seems like a fun way to spend an afteroon.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mikojan posted:

What a rollercoaster

just to confirm, Qg7 would have been mate right? lol

Yes, on 26, Qg7 is mate, but I didn't see it till right after I went Ne3, and the next nine moves are me trying to recover Qg7# while failing to see the back rank mate in 5 that I can get from Kh6+, Kf7+, Qc8+, take, take that is available from 30

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RAlrzcdfRY&t=10s

e: for the record, I was awarded no proper blunders in this game and none of those misses were M1s (though a few were M8s).

Huxley fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 29, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

lol chess.com and hans neiman have kissed and made up and are BFFs again

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Leperflesh posted:

lol chess.com and hans neiman have kissed and made up and are BFFs again

and Magnus

quote:

Carlsen said: “I acknowledge and understand Chess.com’s report, including its statement that there is no determinative evidence that Niemann cheated in his game against me at the Sinquefield Cup. I am willing to play Niemann in future events, should we be paired together.”

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Boy, there's nothing like winning a nailbiter online, then checking analysis and finding out both players made a dozen blunders.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Say you lost to Neimann Magnus

coward

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
white played Rb7 on the last move. black played Qa5 to attack the bishop on a3, which the computer thinks is a blunder.

find the best move for white in this position! this is from one of my games, and i thought this was a tough-to-see move (because i didn't see it).

it's not Bd6, which is also good but not as good
it's not a capture
it's a move that creates a threat
the threat is hard to stop without losing material
it was a mistake for black to ignore Rb7 last move

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 1, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I like
Bb4, to attack the queen and put the bishop into protection from the rook
or
Be7, because if ...Rxe7 then Rxe7 attacks the rook in A8 and infiltration of another piece
but I feel like I'm probably missing an even better line somewhere.
oh, maybe
Qc6? If black ignores that to capture the a3 bishop, white can fork the rooks and Ra7 or Re7 both look very dangerous?

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Qf4 threatening mate? Black doesn't really have a way out of that. I guess f6 is the best reply and then you just bulldoze down the f file. Fortunately your knight is preventing backrank mate.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

fisting by many posted:

Qf4 threatening mate? Black doesn't really have a way out of that. I guess f6 is the best reply and then you just bulldoze down the f file. Fortunately your knight is preventing backrank mate.

That's what I see

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Just played a terrific endgame. 23 moves, rook vs rook, I saw a plan and executed, everything worked great, felt like a wizard calculating zugzwang 3 moves ahead.

And the engine agreed! It said every move was good except the one that blundered the entire advantage :negative:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

fisting by many posted:

But what about
Qf4 Rf8? What do you do then as white? Bxf8 just leads to Rxf8, right? I'm missing the next step. Maybe it's still good just for creating the threat though?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

fisting by many posted:

this is it! Rf8 is the best black can do -- f6 is no good because white just plays exf6 and the computer announces mate in 8 lol

Leperflesh posted:

But what about
Qf4 Rf8? What do you do then as white? Bxf8 just leads to Rxf8, right? I'm missing the next step. Maybe it's still good just for creating the threat though?

that's all true, but its good for white because black is down the exchange with no counterplay in this line

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

https://twitter.com/OhhMar24/status/1699810147135033790

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

fart simpson posted:

Derrick Rose was at the Drake concert last night playing Chess on his phone whole show 😭😭

rofl

did anybody try to figure out the position yet? i cant really see the white pieces on the light squares so i made something up (its white to move, black just played g6. computer says theres several continuations, but nothing decisive):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

There's definitely something on h1 and b1. Also I think d1.

I'm pretty confident black's structure is this:

Not sure why g3 on his last move. Maybe white has a bishop on h4?