Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

wouldn’t it be better to get a used/refurbished office PC for ~$100 and fill that with drives?

"Better" depends on what your goals are, but this would certainly be easier. If I were starting over, I'd do it this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
The path I took was like windows htpc -> pi3 attempt as a home server -> synology NAS as home server -> hp workstation thing with a 6th gen i5 in it as a home server running debian.

I would probably do it all again because all of these devices have their strengths and the problems taught me a lot of interesting stuff. Like now it’s trivial to take a pi and a webcam and set up an ip camera on a plant or something. Or host a little temporary webserver for some very specific thing I want to do.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

cruft posted:

:confused: I'm gonna go measure my setup again.

I've been meaning to figure out how to measure per consumption for a while now. How do you do this?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Cory Parsnipson posted:

I've been meaning to figure out how to measure per consumption for a while now. How do you do this?

Get a kill-a-watt and run all the devices you want to measure through it. Most libraries have them for loan ime

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Cory Parsnipson posted:

In this case a woox smartplug. I started using smartplugs because they are cheaper than kill-a-watt type devices. And cheaper easier to use than mechanical/digital timers.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Sweet, thx

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

tater_salad posted:

just set it up with 2-4 drives in Raid (can probably just get away with 8tb of space) .. and have it sit on my network as a redundancy for my desktops / file share since I have like 5 PC's at any point and time. looking at 2 bay USB enclosures gets $$ tho. The desire to do this with a Pi is they're small. I don't have small PC parts so if I wanted to build a Nas we're looking at a small case, and a new mobo and and nad.

I mean that's the initial plan.. I"ve got an old intel system that I'd just toss in a cheap case, and upgrade my "upstairs pc" with my amd setup (would need ram and a poo poo gpu).

by the time you add a case, ram, and a gpu I think you're over the budget of a refurbed Intel Optiplex that'll run without a dgpu sucking up unnecessary power.

mewse
May 2, 2006

The thing about off-lease OEM machines is that if it's SFF it's likely only got 1 hard drive bay, if it's a mid tower it's likely only got 2 hard drive bays.

Mega gamer ATX cases from pre-SSD times will usually have 4+ drive bays, because it was a simpler time, a gentler time,

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

mewse posted:

The thing about off-lease OEM machines is that if it's SFF it's likely only got 1 hard drive bay, if it's a mid tower it's likely only got 2 hard drive bays.

Mega gamer ATX cases from pre-SSD times will usually have 4+ drive bays, because it was a simpler time, a gentler time,

yeah but you also got PCIe that doesn't have to be populated with a gpu

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Good excuse to just upgrade your main system and use all the left over parts,.....

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The nas thread has suggestions on sensible cases for self build, I'm sure.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

by the time you add a case, ram, and a gpu I think you're over the budget of a refurbed Intel Optiplex that'll run without a dgpu sucking up unnecessary power.

Dgpu isn't for my nas..I'd be upgrading my upstairs non gaming PC.

But yeah can also get an optiplex for like 50 bux.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Howdy thread. I'm resurrecting my pi 4b lab and wanted to see if anyone has experience getting this thing to netboot? I've gotten the devices to boot, but I'm having trouble understanding the expected directory structure to build on my NFS shares.

I'm using synologys built in stuff but I'm open to running the pxe server in a VM or whatever.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Orange-Pi-Compute-Module-4-with-Rockchip-RK3566-launches-for-under-US-23.744503.0.html

Orange pi has a new compute module RPi 4 equivalent and it's $20 ish. I think I might wanna pick a couple of these up to experiment with.

I took a look at the specs and it's pretty different from the RPi 4. ARM Cortex A55 vs the A72 and the orange pi one is clocked at a higher freq in both cpu and GPU, but it also looks tuned for power consumption instead of performance.

Hard to say if one is faster or slower than the other, there's small tradeoffs here and there. It might not be noticeable for light workloads.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cory Parsnipson posted:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Orange-Pi-Compute-Module-4-with-Rockchip-RK3566-launches-for-under-US-23.744503.0.html

Orange pi has a new compute module RPi 4 equivalent and it's $20 ish. I think I might wanna pick a couple of these up to experiment with.

I took a look at the specs and it's pretty different from the RPi 4. ARM Cortex A55 vs the A72 and the orange pi one is clocked at a higher freq in both cpu and GPU, but it also looks tuned for power consumption instead of performance.

Hard to say if one is faster or slower than the other, there's small tradeoffs here and there. It might not be noticeable for light workloads.

No, not hard to say, it will be well slower than a Pi 4. The 50s are in-order CPU designs and the 70s are out-of-order. That's the type of thing where GHz becomes irrelevant because the architecture difference is so big. Pi going from A53 in the 3 to A72 in the 4 is why the 4 was suddenly usable as a desktop for stuff like web browsing.

So that orange pi thing is gonna feel like a faster Pi 3, not like a slow 4. Which may be fine -- the 3 is totally adequate for all the IoT / home mini-server type jobs.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Would you mind sharing what project you’ll be working on with one of these? I don’t really know what they’re for or even how to interface with them because they’re just like pin connectors on the board.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

tuyop posted:

I don’t really know what they’re for or even how to interface with them because they’re just like pin connectors on the board.

It claims "mechanically and electrically compatible" with a Pi Compute Module 4, so presumably you can plug it into any of the IO boards available for that?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Klyith posted:

It claims "mechanically and electrically compatible" with a Pi Compute Module 4, so presumably you can plug it into any of the IO boards available for that?

There's also a 3rd party ecosystem. Here's an example: https://www.clockworkpi.com/

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Klyith posted:

No, not hard to say, it will be well slower than a Pi 4. The 50s are in-order CPU designs and the 70s are out-of-order. That's the type of thing where GHz becomes irrelevant because the architecture difference is so big. Pi going from A53 in the 3 to A72 in the 4 is why the 4 was suddenly usable as a desktop for stuff like web browsing.

So that orange pi thing is gonna feel like a faster Pi 3, not like a slow 4. Which may be fine -- the 3 is totally adequate for all the IoT / home mini-server type jobs.

Oh I see. I didn't look into the differences very deeply, and I also wasn't aware that out-of-order made such a big performance leap (but I mean, it makes total sense now that I think about it).

tuyop posted:

Would you mind sharing what project you’ll be working on with one of these? I don’t really know what they’re for or even how to interface with them because they’re just like pin connectors on the board.

Lol sorry I have no idea at this point either. Probably using it in a Nintendo Switch knock off. Just speculating for the next year or so. These links might help?

Creating a Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 (CM4) Carrier Board in KiCad
what is the connector on CM4 called?

Also what the above two posters said.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Oh I'm rather miffed at myself. I thought I had two Raspberry Pis but it seems I lost one during a move. How are Orange Pis? I'm looking run them headlessly, connect a webcam to them and run some simple Python scripts.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The Pi has some availability now, btw, they did finally get production going:
https://rpilocator.com/

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fragrag posted:

Oh I'm rather miffed at myself. I thought I had two Raspberry Pis but it seems I lost one during a move. How are Orange Pis? I'm looking run them headlessly, connect a webcam to them and run some simple Python scripts.

That's the type of think they're just fine at, you can get an armbian build and DIY.

I've never touched one, but the general rap on all pi-knockoffs is:
1) OS support is much less turn-key. You are starting with armbian and a command prompt instead of starting with a pre-made image.
2) GPU support is often more fiddly and unstable.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

If you happen to have a UPS, you can put it on the UPS (as long as it's the only one plugged into it, since some devices like an xbox one are "sleeping" when you turn them off) and it might be able to tell you the load it's seeing.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

CarForumPoster posted:

The username "⚡POWER⚡ Squid" with an avatar of the dark lord Cthulhu drawn as an angry 5 outlet surge protector is a quality image.

This was the closest I could get with modern AI image generation

Otherwise it just generates generic Cthulhu fantasy art over and over. Prompt was "5 outlet surge protector personified as the dark lord Cthulhu"

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Per the HomeAssistant discord they sent over some HA Yellows with CM4s to crowd supply today, hallelujah. I may actually get the drat thing before the end of the year.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Are there any decent resources online to compare a Pi 4 against contemporary x86 chips? I’m wondering how a Pi 4 would compare against the dirt cheap AMD A9-9400 mini PC I snagged on Amazon a little while back.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Hasturtium posted:

Are there any decent resources online to compare a Pi 4 against contemporary x86 chips? I’m wondering how a Pi 4 would compare against the dirt cheap AMD A9-9400 mini PC I snagged on Amazon a little while back.

The fastest Pi 4 looks like about the same order of magnitude of performance as a core 2 duo: https://cpu-comparison.com/raspberry-pi-4-b-broadcom-bcm2711/intel-core2-duo-e6700/

Even then the c2d is 50% faster than the Pi 4.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This is the ARM A72 and the Rpi has the Broadcom version, but I think only Apple is allowed to modify the ARM architecture, so I assume they should be comparable.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cojawfee posted:

but I think only Apple is allowed to modify the ARM architecture, so I assume they should be comparable.

Nah, it's a sorta multi-tier license system. At the lowest level you're licensing the ARM instruction set and nothing else, congrats you get to design your own chip from scratch. Apple is the biggest player doing this, but others do/did as well. I think a lot of them have quit because ARM's own cortex designs got good enough that they couldn't do better.

At the max level you're licensing ARM's cortex designs and GPU and like a complete blueprint for everything.

And in between you can do I think pretty much whatever grab-bag mix-and-match you want. Like google who for their new pixel chips designed their own cores but licensed the ARM Mali GPU. Broadcom's RPi chips use standard ARM cortex CPUs but they have their own GPU (which is sometimes a PITA because broadcom has closed-source drivers).

Apple is the outlier in doing everything themselves, but that's because nobody else can afford it.

But anyways, if a CPU is described as having an "ARM Cortex" then yes that's gonna be a standard bought-the-design-from-ARM type with little variance from somebody else's.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Also, while it does seem like a lot of my posts in here are steering people away from the RPi, this is going to be another one of them. In addition to the CPU of your mini PC appearing to perform better than the RPi4, it's also x86. I'm sure it's getting better all the time for ARM stuff, but there's an x86 build for almost any software you'll need. if you ever need help troubleshooting something, chances are all the reddit and forum posts you find will have people who are running the x86 build of it. 99% of my time running linux on an x86 CPU I can just use the package manager to install the latest version of software with no issues. Whereas with the RPi, I was having to spend a bunch of time googling for a specific version of python modules that are already pre-compiled because just trying to install them with pip meant waiting hours for the pi to try to compile them itself, complaining about this other module being the wrong version (using some weird terminology for what version it wanted) and then failing. You never know when something is just going to be really frustrating for no reason and then there isn't any documentation of the exact issue you're having. I spent multiple days trying to figure out how to install the modules I needed to get my teammate's software to run on the raspberry pi for our senior design project. After finally getting the right words into google, I found someone with the issue that listed the commands to install the exact version of things I needed. Very frustrating.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 31, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ARM builds are pretty ubiquitious at this point

ARM6 for the first gen raspi were pretty hard to find but modern ARM7 (which everything seems to support) is cake nowadays, build chains have gotten really mature since everyone has to support Apple CPUs now

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Hadlock posted:

ARM builds are pretty ubiquitious at this point

ARM6 for the first gen raspi were pretty hard to find but modern ARM7 (which everything seems to support) is cake nowadays, build chains have gotten really mature since everyone has to support Apple CPUs now

Unfortunately, the Pi 0 is also ARM6 and that hasn't really been replaced by the Pi 0 2 because of its ultra low power, price and availability.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you're targeting the ARM6 based pi 0 for power consumption or packaging reasons you're probably not a good candidate for choosing x86

I really enjoyed the Raspberry Pi 1 Model A+ which you could power with a cheap ebay solar panel not much larger than a playing card, I forget but I think if you kept cpu usage down it would eat about 60-80mA but would spike power usage to 150mA briefly

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Low power and x86 chat made me remember that the Intel Compute Stick was a thing that existed for a while. I doubt anyone has ever had a slower experience using a PC. Half the CPU power of a Pi 4 trying to run Windows 8 off eMMC.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 31, 2023

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Thanks Ants posted:

Low power and x86 chat made me remember that the Intel Compute Stick was a thing that existed for a while. I doubt anyone has ever had a slower experience using a PC. Half the CPU power of a Pi 4 trying to run Windows 8 off eMMC.

Oh man I remember seeing a glimpse of those once, too bad it doesn't seem like it was that great. But... maybe a raspberry pi could do it better. Gettin too many ideas for my own good 🤔🤔🤔

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Don't worry. No good ideas survive their first encounter with a Raspberry Pi.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I happen to be in the market for something like a flash drive-sized PC just to stream videos on, but alas, the Compute Stick seems to have died a couple of years ago.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

god please help me posted:

I happen to be in the market for something like a flash drive-sized PC just to stream videos on, but alas, the Compute Stick seems to have died a couple of years ago.

They still exist (just not from intel), check amazon for "mini PC stick".

With semi-modern celeron CPUs too, so they could actually do the job. An actual Intel Compute Stick would suck for streaming video now since they have no h265 or vp9 accel.

It's still a stupid product, you're paying extra for this special form-factor and also a windows license. Like, literally velcro a Pi to the back of your TV or whatever and save a few hundred bucks. But if you absolutely have to have a chonky roku that runs a standard OS, you can buy one.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

ante posted:

Don't worry. No good ideas survive their first encounter with a Raspberry Pi.

You're right. Whew, that was a close one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Klyith posted:

They still exist (just not from intel), check amazon for "mini PC stick".

With semi-modern celeron CPUs too, so they could actually do the job. An actual Intel Compute Stick would suck for streaming video now since they have no h265 or vp9 accel.

It's still a stupid product, you're paying extra for this special form-factor and also a windows license. Like, literally velcro a Pi to the back of your TV or whatever and save a few hundred bucks. But if you absolutely have to have a chonky roku that runs a standard OS, you can buy one.

This really feels like it should be a job for one of those older smartphones that are gathering dust in your drawer. Shame that they can't both charge and provide HDMI out from a single port.