Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Pinterest Mom posted:

(He still isn't allowed to perform duties as a writer, though there are some grey areas that the DGA considers directorial and the WGA considers writing.)

Also WGA writers get a lot more leeway in "Promoting" struck shows on social media because if you're a showrunner and a fan asks you for clarification on a plot point/character background any question left unanswered is gonna be answered by some fuckwit "IP manager" from the studio, and that's bad for writers who want to retain control over their creations.

If you follow Neil Gaiman on tumblr he goes into it a few times when people ask him stuff about Good Omens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Does seem the WGA isn't as concerned about promoting work. The Always Sunny podcast kept going during the writers strike, but once the actors strike started, they had to stop making podcasts promoting Always Sunny.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/iatse/status/1696194727333232698?s=46&t=8qKeRz1MPwpnqaU9WYBJgg

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Does seem the WGA isn't as concerned about promoting work. The Always Sunny podcast kept going during the writers strike, but once the actors strike started, they had to stop making podcasts promoting Always Sunny.

For actors promoting work is part of their contract, so if they’re on strike that’s something they have to deny the studios as well as their main work of acting.

Screenwriters occasionally get asked for quotes or interviews but it’s not considered as big a part of the job.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

What does this really mean though? I thought the majority of Disney's FX work was outsourced to third party studios.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Crackbone posted:

What does this really mean though? I thought the majority of Disney's FX work was outsourced to third party studios.

I'm guessing this is, like the Marvel move earlier this month, just the on-set VFX people, the folks who manage data flow, ensure cameras are set up properly for plate capture / post-production, etc. The Marvel VFX unionization was only something like 50 people.

Edit: Yeah, the Disney unionization is 18 workers.

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 28, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Good for them.

But I'm concerned that the way PR is framing this is actively misleading, and gives the impression that, yeah, the studios that do most of the animating have unionized, and that Disney is actually a magnanimous employer.

But, yes, good for them.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Gaz-L posted:

I started reading DisneyWar after an earlier discussion and that does ring true: Did you know Eisner and Katzenberg wanted to shut down the animation studio?

Yeah I'm about halfway through now and it's at the part right after Katzenberg left and Disney bought ABC. Honestly my biggest complaint is that it feels like every page is about Eisner and every other C-Suite getting turbo mad and pissy at one another for the stupidest poo poo or fantasy deal that will never happen.

And Roy Disney just kinda hangs out with Disney Animation.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 29, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah I'm about halfway through now and it's at the part right after Katzenberg left and Disney bought ABC. Honestly my biggest complaint is that it feels like ever page is a about Eisner and every other C-Suite getting turbo mad and pissy at one another for the stupidest poo poo or fantasy deal that will never happen.

And Roy Disney just kinda hangs out with Disney Animation.

"And then Eisner refused to speak to him for the next 6 months"

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Gaz-L posted:

"And then Eisner refused to speak to him for the next 6 months"

The thing I took away from that book is that Eisner may be genuinely mentally ill. For most of the book he comes across as a pissy little tyrant, but the anecdote about Walt Disney’s grave at the end trips over into borderline psychosis territory. That’s such a bizarre thing to lie about.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The thing I took away from that book is that Eisner may be genuinely mentally ill. For most of the book he comes across as a pissy little tyrant, but the anecdote about Walt Disney’s grave at the end trips over into borderline psychosis territory. That’s such a bizarre thing to lie about.

Welcome to the average C-Suite

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Big “we’ve tried nothing and we’re all out of ideas” summit for the studios today:

Studio CEOs Set To Meet Today Amid Internal Tensions; No End In Sight To Strikes

quote:

According to several sources, for instance, it was [Netflix] streaming kingpin Sarandos who lectured WGA leaders at that gathering last week about why they had to take the AMPTP’s latest offer. Others say that, while Sarandos certainly wasn’t pliant, it was Iger who was “the loudest voice in the room” with the other CEOs and the WGA brass on August 22. “That approach spectacularly flamed out, and then they made it worse by putting their offer out in public the same night,” one industry vet states of the outcome of the studio bosses’ browbeating meeting with guild leaders and the attempt to go around the WGA negotiating committee directly to members.

In particular, “thin skinned” Iger and Zaslav are “stunned,” according to one insider, that they have been so vilified by the guild and its members over the past several months. “Almost everyone is looking for someone to blame,” another insider says of the backbiting among the core CEOs. “They’re paralyzed, even as the clock is ticking, and it’s Ted’s fault, Iger’s fault, even Tony Vinciquerra’s fault, depending on who you ask,” the source added, name-checking the Netflix co-CEO, the Disney CEO and the Sony Pictures chair and CEO. “It’s not helping the situation, or anyone.”

The guys trying to pay us less, hire fewer of us, and replace us with AI are stunned to discover that they are unpopular.

quote:

Today’s get-together is in part to ensure that CEOs don’t stumble into a position where they’re negotiating against themselves. While there have been reports out there that Netflix is willing to bend toward the WGA on every point, others say that Hollywood’s top brass are on the same page when it comes to their approach with the guilds.

I don’t know if I believe this source, as Netflix is widely regarded as the absolute worst studio to work for. Somehow they managed to become more hated than Disney.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah up until now wasn’t Netflix the least willing to concede things?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

You would think that would be the case because at least in theory they have the least to lose. They are not dependent on having a fall schedule like Disney, CBS/Viacom, and NBC Universal do.

But it's also possible that Netflix has enough money that they can concede to more of what the writers want.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't Sarandos supposedly afraid that caving will set a precedent that will impact him more than the others, though, as then unions in the other regions Netflix sources content from might ask for similar concessions?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Those folks should definitely ask for those things regardless.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Those folks should definitely ask for those things regardless.

Oh absolutely, I'm just surprised if he's done a 180 on that.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I could believe either:

1- Netflix, being founded and run by techbro capitalists is going to be the worst about labor every time

2- Netflix has often been derided by hollywood insiders who view them as barbarians kicking open the gates of their eternal city, which creates friction within the AMPTP that can be exploited

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

We also have no idea how much this strike is/is not affecting Netflix. I assume it's not really hurting them very much yet because they have content already banked, but at some point they will run out and not have anything to attract new subscribers with.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
To me it’s more that they have the most to fear from the unions’ demands, because their business model is entirely dependent on the black box of streaming. (And as mentioned they don’t want unions in other countries getting ideas because they’re trying to push into foreign markets more, having effectively reached saturation in the US.)

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t know why the WGA and SAG don’t just negotiate interim agreements with the weakest members of the AMPTP and isolate the assholest assholes of the bunch.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

fart blood posted:

I don’t know why the WGA and SAG don’t just negotiate interim agreements with the weakest members of the AMPTP and isolate the assholest assholes of the bunch.

That’s why the AMPTP exists. In the 1960 WGA strike Universal made a deal first and forced the hand of the rest of the studios (and that’s why residuals exist at all), they’re not letting that happen again.

Like the entire organization is basically just a cartel of business owners. Should be illegal, but this is America.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The studios united... because together... they were stronger... TO CRUSH UNIONS.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Maxwell Lord posted:

That’s why the AMPTP exists. In the 1960 WGA strike Universal made a deal first and forced the hand of the rest of the studios (and that’s why residuals exist at all), they’re not letting that happen again.

Like the entire organization is basically just a cartel of business owners. Should be illegal, but this is America.

But they CAN negotiate separately still.

It’s pretty obvious the people in charge of the studios all hate each other so screw the AMPTP and get it over with.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The different studios have way less in common now than they did during the last strike.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

FlamingLiberal posted:

We also have no idea how much this strike is/is not affecting Netflix. I assume it's not really hurting them very much yet because they have content already banked, but at some point they will run out and not have anything to attract new subscribers with.

The "kids" of Stranger Things are in their 20s now, and they plan to use de-aging technology to salvage their final season. If/when that ever actually films...

There was an interesting interview with an indie finance guy, and he was both-sidesing the situation so hard. He claims distributors are shying away from interim-agreement projects and their "baggage".
https://deadline.com/2023/08/chris-pine-glen-powell-anna-kendrick-movies-launch-during-strikes-challenges-agc-stuart-ford-1235531492/

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The first one to cave might get to start making content first, but the people who make the decision will make some loving powerful enemies that day.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

VorpalBunny posted:

There was an interesting interview with an indie finance guy, and he was both-sidesing the situation so hard. He claims distributors are shying away from interim-agreement projects and their "baggage".
https://deadline.com/2023/08/chris-pine-glen-powell-anna-kendrick-movies-launch-during-strikes-challenges-agc-stuart-ford-1235531492/

Bullshit. It depends on what the project is and who’s in it. If a big name is attached, they’ll take it.

LividLiquid posted:

The first one to cave might get to start making content first, but the people who make the decision will make some loving powerful enemies that day.

They’re already enemies with each other. All the poo poo they do about trying to break the WGA to argue with each other is because they think these writers and actors are as scummy as they are.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I agree with you, but both in law and in social circles, the rich only face consequences when they gently caress with other rich people.

Hating each other already is one thing. They're all still on the same team. To their minds, this would be somebody on their team sticking a knife in their back.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
As the WGA and SAG continue stand in solidarity, it seems like the execs are starting to go feral. https://twitter.com/alexnpress/status/1697033082757419053

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

As the WGA and SAG continue stand in solidarity, it seems like the execs are starting to go feral. https://twitter.com/alexnpress/status/1697033082757419053

This just confirms that Bob Iger and David Zaslav are two of the stupidest people on the planet if they're stunned by the realization that people see them as hideous ogres.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Maxwell Lord posted:

To me it’s more that they have the most to fear from the unions’ demands, because their business model is entirely dependent on the black box of streaming. (And as mentioned they don’t want unions in other countries getting ideas because they’re trying to push into foreign markets more, having effectively reached saturation in the US.)

Yeah, the Korean Actors' Guild has already started making waves to Netflix about "We're in a lot of content you claim as Netflix original, we should see residuals" and Netflix is doing the nervous collar tugging thing.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

nine-gear crow posted:

This just confirms that Bob Iger and David Zaslav are two of the stupidest people on the planet if they're stunned by the realization that people see them as hideous ogres.

Now he'll have to club us and eat our bones :ohdear:

I'll admit, I feel like a switch got pulled sometime recently (Probably something to do with the pandemic) and most of America went from "Unions slow everything down" to "Solidarity Forever" overnight. That was easy for me to notice on the ground, but billionaires can go years and sometimes decades without having a complete conversation with someone either not also a billionaire or on their payroll. They don't notice this poo poo until it's right in their faces.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
https://news.gallup.com/poll/510281/unions-strengthening.aspx

Most people have just stopped buying the bullshit

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Mordiceius posted:

I’m weary of this because the studios hired a crisis PR team and the trades are the voice of the studios, so something about this story being in Deadline is so fishy to me.

Don’t get me wrong, I already know they all hate each other, but I can’t help but feel this was planted to get workers guards down or something.

fart blood fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 31, 2023

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

xerxus posted:

I think multiple decades of the "go to college and get a degree and you're set for life" lie has people realizing that unionization and solidarity is the only way to have any kind of middle class in this country.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

DarklyDreaming posted:

Now he'll have to club us and eat our bones :ohdear:

I'll admit, I feel like a switch got pulled sometime recently (Probably something to do with the pandemic) and most of America went from "Unions slow everything down" to "Solidarity Forever" overnight. That was easy for me to notice on the ground, but billionaires can go years and sometimes decades without having a complete conversation with someone either not also a billionaire or on their payroll. They don't notice this poo poo until it's right in their faces.

Wouldn’t surprise me if hearing conservative politicians outright publicly say poo poo along the lines of “sorry, granny, but the economy is more important, please throw yourself upon the sacrificial altar” was a significant enough jolt to a lot of folks to knock them out of corporate worship.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

xerxus posted:

https://news.gallup.com/poll/510281/unions-strengthening.aspx

I'm the 1% who sides equally with both workers and employers

Also I'm surprised that support for the WGA/SAG-AFTRA strike is so high given that half the country thinks that hollywood actors and writers crack open baby skulls to shoot up the goo inside

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 31, 2023

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Feldegast42 posted:

Also I'm surprised that support for the WGA/SAG-AFTRA strike is so high given that half the country thinks that hollywood actors and writers crack open baby skulls to shoot up the goo inside

I think its important to remember that the loudest people say it, making their smaller voice seem bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Feldegast42 posted:

I'm the 1% who sides equally with both workers and employers

25% is closer to the number of people who believe that. "Half" is a measure of their political influence within this country because of our flawed democracy