Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

flavor.flv posted:

Hey, look what just got an update!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHSEEAwJLrs

It's a lot more overt than part 1 and not nearly as interesting!

When the first thing I see is "please donate to my Patreon" it's more red flags than Soviet Army. At least make some more stuff before asking for money, bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

flavor.flv posted:

Hey, look what just got an update!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHSEEAwJLrs

It's a lot more overt than part 1 and not nearly as interesting!

lmfao this is that one series where the first vid uses the opening to pink floyd's "money" to try to be scary

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Szarrukin posted:

When the first thing I see is "please donate to my Patreon" it's more red flags than Soviet Army. At least make some more stuff before asking for money, bro.

I don't know if you saw both videos, but there is a ton of clear effort being put into this just on the art and cutscene animations alone. There's some really solid stuff there even if someone doesn't care for the spoopy stuff. I think it's understandable.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
The original was kind of interesting, like there was an actual haunted game being played? This one seems more like a bunch of disjointed creepy scenes being played one after the other in no particular order, but maybe that's the point?

The second half just seems to be another creepy game entirely called Tharsis (1997) that doesn't exist except in this video I guess? There was an actual Tharsis released in 2016 though. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tharsis_(video_game).

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 21, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It was a fix to a problem that barely existed. Yes, a bunch of people entering the Myst world were going to talk about how they had played Myst, but like, if you're asking people to role-play in your puzzle game MMO (a thing that hadn't been done before an hasn't been done since,) you could just let us all pretend we never played those games.

I love the series dearly, but it's one of their bigger mistakes. It even led to them put the thing so far up its own rear end that the protagonist of Myst 5 isn't you anymore. It's some dude named Dr. Watson. But the game doesn't acknowledge this directly, so the canon is just needlessly confusing now and riddled with retcons.

D'ni was originally in the Middle East. Now it's under New Mexico for some reason.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

texting my ex posted:

After I nerded out vanilla WoW's pvp and pve, I just explored the world. There's just something about visiting places you're not supposed to be in, even if it's just in a game. I've explored pretty much every point of interest and even found some places myself. Most of those videos are "real" (filmed on a live server), and yes, Outlands was reachable and contained a halfway done hellfire peninsula. Funny thing is, in Alterac Valley you could wallwalk your way outside the map boundaries, and the terrain there was formed exactly as the old outlands, except covered in slope. One slope had the normal outlands palette :psyduck: .

The absolute best thing was to do the thing you linked, find ways outside instances. The world is just so "bizarre" and different, for example if you got out of Zul'Gurub and headed east you'd see Deadwind Pass as it was in the alpha / beta version of the game. Same with Shadowfang Keep.

My absolute nerdiest moment would be wallwalking up Mount Hyjal. gently caress the easy ways in, wallwalking for 1,5 hour was truly the rewarding way in :smugdog:

Ancient post prompted me to recall. If you break out, you can go between Stratholme east and west. Both instances are floating there over the ground. All the mobs and bosses and such are in both. I think it also only counted as one instance lockout for both. I think maybe you can only manage it as a demon hunter since I had to float from a nearish hill into the other side using the darkmoon cannon toy. I swear this is all true, my uncle works for Microsoft.

I do wonder if I am the only one to have managed this.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
We’re coming up on 13 years and I have no new content to add, but I thought I’d share why I love this thread so much.

CV 2: Simons quest came out when I was ten years old. None of my friends had it (ok I didn’t have friends). I was a latch key kid, like many in the 80s, parents divorced and both working, and a lot of alone time in houses with a lot of dark rooms.

Like Metroid before it, the score captured me first, and the ability to just wander and explore while listening to this dark music that gave me goosebumps on its own, just blew my mind.

Then I found the weird parts of the game. Dead ends. Meaningless messages. A graveyard that meant nothing. An entire area with no items, an invisible staircase and the most clear “this has to be a secret” kind of design you’ve ever seen. It haunted me and I spent hours goofing around until I finally finished. Running home after school to play on the console television with no one around, trying to understand what I was seeing and what it all meant.

As an adult, I’ve devoured speedruns, read the new translations, learned all about the why’s of how that game ended up the way it did, but the memories have never gone, and all of these stories bring back those wonderful, mysterious feelings.

That’s why this thread is still the best, 2023.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

if you press A one hundred times on the truck it moves and you can fight mew

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

An Actual Princess posted:

Yes this is true.

https://i.imgur.com/9ds49wl.mp4

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Supposedly there's something weird about Bomb Rush Cyberfunk involving a hard-to-reach grate that a huge badly-textured maze with something at the end? I don't actually know much of the details and am hearing this from a friend of a friend.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Zamujasa posted:

Supposedly there's something weird about Bomb Rush Cyberfunk involving a hard-to-reach grate that a huge badly-textured maze with something at the end? I don't actually know much of the details and am hearing this from a friend of a friend.

God damnit we still havent figured out the clock from JSRF

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Grassy Knowles posted:

God damnit we still havent figured out the clock from JSRF

I haven't heard about this one.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

My kids are 5 and 7 and very into Lets Go Pikachu right now. One of their friends has them convinced if they beat the elite 4 10 times and beat Red Blue and Green that Mew can show up as a rare spawn somewhere. I’ve told them no, that’s not a thing, but they insist and are trying.

Like hell if I’m telling them the real way, a $50 accessory.

Edit: also they and their friends think I’m super cool because I know type matchups. Someday they’ll find that super uncool so I’m enjoying now.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Get mew the way I did: win a contest from nintendo to get a celebi, in gold and silver, have them lose your copy of the game, panick, and give you a replacement with a full pokedex and boxes with every mon at max level and shiny as an apology

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

My kids are 5 and 7 and very into Lets Go Pikachu right now. One of their friends has them convinced if they beat the elite 4 10 times and beat Red Blue and Green that Mew can show up as a rare spawn somewhere. I’ve told them no, that’s not a thing, but they insist and are trying.

Like hell if I’m telling them the real way, a $50 accessory.

Edit: also they and their friends think I’m super cool because I know type matchups. Someday they’ll find that super uncool so I’m enjoying now.

I love that the same kinda Pokémon urban legends still persist with kids still. That’s great.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Zamujasa posted:

There's actually two 'secrets' like this, but they mostly feel like little worldbuilding easter eggs. Within Pyramid Hill there's a maze made of shipping containers that works like the Lost Woods in Zelda. One of the rooms has a hole you can go down to find an old, traditional Amsterdam building and the only tree in the game.

The second that you mentioned is a grate in the underground plaza of Versum Hill (with the giant snakes). Going through takes you through a big drop, into a maze made up of a random hodgepodge of buildings. It's a real liminal space kind of vibe, and even has a pool for some reason. Most notably, there's another secret space within the maze, where you can find a sarcophagus with a face similar to DJ Cyber's mask.

The Oldheads (a bunch of older graffiti writers who oversee the gangs' turf battles) have comments around the fact that new Amsterdam was built on the ruins of Old Amsterdam, and that it's bad vibes that DJ Cyber is wearing a mask that looks like that.

So the two secrets seem to be the remnants of Old Amsterdam, and where DJ Cyber got the mask from . I don't know if there's anything more to it than that, but they nailed the 2000s secret area vibes.

There's also some talking fish with some weird dialogue, and that's the bigger mystery to me right now!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Zamujasa posted:

I haven't heard about this one.

If you get to the clock in kibogaoka hill before 2 min in the level have passed it does a little dance, no one knows why

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ-ceU816Lk

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

I cant find a vid with a tolerable narrator so that’s just some guys gameplay

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

SeANMcBAY posted:

I love that the same kinda Pokémon urban legends still persist with kids still. That’s great.

I thought the internet would’ve killed the good urban legends but I suppose they’ll live on in the hearts of kids too young to get on the internet.

Edit: they’re also forever running out of money from shiny hunting so whatever gets them to fight the elite 4 10 times and make bank I guess.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

the triforce is somewhere in ocarina of time

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

I thought the internet would’ve killed the good urban legends but I suppose they’ll live on in the hearts of kids too young to get on the internet.

Edit: they’re also forever running out of money from shiny hunting so whatever gets them to fight the elite 4 10 times and make bank I guess.

It also helps that kids have no loving clue how to operate a computer or the internet other than whatever flavor of the day app everyone is using. Can't imagine too many people on tiktok making pokemon urban legends videos.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
^^^^ back in my day search was poo poo and so all we had was geocities webrings and they were all full of garbage

the triforce is somewhere in ocarina of time

our white whale, as it were, was finding the cutscene where link bangs zelda

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I'll never forget The Odyssey of Hyrule. Wild faux philosophical articles, impassioned essays about Xenogears, legitimately interesting glitches and GameShark code discoveries, all sharing space with insane Triforce and Sky Temple rumors as bad MIDIs played. :allears:

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Everyone had the truck rumor about Mew. But I heard a way worse one as a kid. Someone told me that there's exactly 1 spot o nthe floor of Mt Moon where if you press A, you'll pick up Mew like a secret item. One night I seriously did spend a while trying it on every single tile of all the floors. :negative:

At one point I was at a friend's house, and all of us figured out how to make the trades work to get a surfing and strength pokemon into one game without letting the ship leave. And that probably still took less wasted effort than the floor thing.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

if you press the L shoulder button 2401 times in super mario 64 you can play as luigi

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Cosmik Debris posted:

our white whale, as it were, was finding the cutscene where sheik bangs link

Ftfy

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hrist posted:

Everyone had the truck rumor about Mew. But I heard a way worse one as a kid. Someone told me that there's exactly 1 spot o nthe floor of Mt Moon where if you press A, you'll pick up Mew like a secret item. One night I seriously did spend a while trying it on every single tile of all the floors. :negative:

At one point I was at a friend's house, and all of us figured out how to make the trades work to get a surfing and strength pokemon into one game without letting the ship leave. And that probably still took less wasted effort than the floor thing.

That was how you get Togepi though

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I still think it's awesome that in the remakes you could use the same glitch to get to the truck and they put a cookie under it to congratulate you

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
What do y'all think was really going on with all that Sad Satan poo poo. I think it was probably just the Obscure Gaming Corner guy trying to go big and whiffing as he lost control of the story.

Your Uncle Dracula fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 31, 2023

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't seen any updated 'research' into it in a few years. But it seems like it was just something closer to an art project / attention grabbing thing than anything malicious. I sort of remember there being a "There were older versions that had cp. But those got taken down and are lost forever now. I swear they were real!" story going on at some point. And that just seems like the big thing that dated stuff from around then. Mysterious old versions that just happened to not be seen by anyone except one guy.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I saw someone lament the impact of dataminers specifically on Baldur's Gate 3. Because that game is so huge and detailed that it would've had a bunch of urban legends, but now that dataminers can dig through the whole thing, we know what's in the game; you can't just lie about what's there anymore, because it's so easy to check.

I think they completely missed that most of those biggest urban legends were circulated by children, to children, and children are gullible as poo poo and have no idea how to fact-check. Yeah, it's easy for us to find out you don't get Mew by beating the Elite Four some arbitrary amount of times, but kids have no easy way to call that out.

The 'adult' versions of those urban legends are extremely esoteric maybe-ARGs that I only learn about from Oddheader, or when games deliberately throw in a mysterious thing with no further hints and then everyone goes mad like with the Dark Souls Pendant. Basically, kids make these things by themselves; adults need to be given an inch before they'll run a mile with it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
One ARG example is 3301 Cicada, which was a pretty middle of the road ARG that’s gained almost mythical status over the years. Also helps that it was ephemeral and lived mostly in chatrooms and 4chan so it’s hard finding first hand information now

Incorrect Username
Feb 21, 2011

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

What do y'all think was really going on with all that Sad Satan poo poo.

Great example of the worst case scenario of "how i can i make this as hosed up and disturbing as possible". Just looked up the history on its' surprisingly large wiki page, and apparently they've found and arrested the guy who made the CP/gore version thankfully.

Speaking of 3301Cicada, went down a pretty big rabbit hole with 973 Eht Namuh the other night. No secret ARG that I can see, just tens of thousands of bizarre webpages made by, and for, schizophrenics.

Incorrect Username fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 31, 2023

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

you can revive aeris

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
wrong

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

looks like someone missed some secrets

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

you can't actually revive aeris but it turns out you don't need to because there are two aeres, one taller than the other. unfortunately it's virtually impossible to tell the difference unless they are standing next to han solo

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Aeris can’t be revived you gullible rubes

Aerith though…

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

History Comes Inside! posted:

Aeris can’t be revived you gullible rubes

Aerith though…

Aeris joins the party after Aerith dies as her secret twin sister, but the translation fucks this up. Luckily almost no one ever does what’s necessary for Aeris to join so it didnt get caught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Incorrect Username posted:

Speaking of 3301Cicada, went down a pretty big rabbit hole with 973 Eht Namuh the other night. No secret ARG that I can see, just tens of thousands of bizarre webpages made by, and for, schizophrenics.

I saw something earlier in the year about how 1 or 2 people have come forward about passing whatever was going on. And basically it just gets you invited you to an irc (or something to the same effect or a hidden forum, I forget). And the original intention was some sort of political movement. But it turned out everyone recruited was very disinterested and lazy. Around 20 members were there when the person that explained it showed up. So nothing really ever got done.

Supposedly they restarted the project again a few years after the original, but no one cares anymore.