Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I remember the Heavy Gear games had wireframe mode assigned to a keyboard hotkey. All my friends and I played the whole game that way, we thought it was extra cool robot vision mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I know I've brought it up before but I would LOVE a remaster of the Heavy Gear games.

One of my favorite things about the first one was building custom suits (and coming up with absurd things as a result) and one of my favorite things about the second was spending far too much time outfitting a 4-man team and feeling a little bit less like it was just me, the player character, against the whole world.

I recall the second one being a particularly beautiful game for the time too, with some good cinematic camera work as well.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Sometime late into the Heavy Gear campaign I finally noticed what the formula for your "threat rating" (aka max loadout) was; it's the amount of guns you have multiplied by how fancy your HUD/sensors where. So I turned off literally everything and just walked around with no UI assistance, while carrying an absolute mountain of guns. Made the back half far too easy, to be quite honest!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Arivia posted:

I remember the Heavy Gear games had wireframe mode assigned to a keyboard hotkey. All my friends and I played the whole game that way, we thought it was extra cool robot vision mode.

Oh you'd love the Battletech cartoon then

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Heavy Gear was a bit limited by using the aging Interstate 76/Mechwarrior engine. It had neat Wing Commander 3 style live action cutscenes though.

Heavy Gear 2 looked great for its time and was an all around achievement for the mech genre, too bad it didn't sell much and remained stuck on PC, if it had gotten a Dreamcast/PS2 port it might be more widely remembered, then again, given Slave Zero, maybe not. CG cutscenes sadly don't have the same theater actor charm, but they were better looking than most CG cutscenes at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tAwv0hjxSU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Oh man, I would fuckin love a remaster of MW2, MW2 Mercs, and Heavy Gear 1 (never played 2).

I sunk hundreds, probably thousands of hours into those games as a kid. MW2 Mercs was the first "real" computer game I ever played. I remember when we got our first computer I woke up early to play on it, and was playing some Galaga clone or whatever. My dad wakes up, comes over and says "Want to see something way better?"

Boots up MW2 Mercs, and I was like :aaaaa: Apparently my dad was impressed also, because I remember him saying that he stayed up until 3am the night before playing it.

We still bond over MechWarrior - he plays MW5 almost everyday.

E: should also mention that my Dad got the game from a joystick pack-in promotion at Sam's club. It was a Thrustmaster joystick, that came with two games. MW2 Mercs.... and loving Duke 3D. I mean holy poo poo, what a deal!

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 31, 2023

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The First Person Id Software Games Time Has Forgotten, aka Doom RPG, Wolfenstein RPG, and what the hell is Orcs and Elves? Nintendo DS? What?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0fwb9jKtIg

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
The Heavy Gear games are probably never going to be re-released, much less remastered at this point, unfortunately. iirc there were major issues with negotiations between Dream Pod 9 (the people that make the tabletop game) and Activision that made it impossible, and it probably doesn't help that the company trying to license a third game a few years ago went extremely poorly.

There are at least actual third party patches and stuff that help to make the games run on modern systems now at least, but that's probably it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Disproportionation posted:

The Heavy Gear games are probably never going to be re-released, much less remastered at this point, unfortunately. iirc there were major issues with negotiations between Dream Pod 9 (the people that make the tabletop game) and Activision that made it impossible, and it probably doesn't help that the company trying to license a third game a few years ago went extremely poorly.

There are at least actual third party patches and stuff that help to make the games run on modern systems now at least, but that's probably it.

Eh, Battletech/MechWarrior had some pretty nasty licensing stuff going on for most of the 2010s but we managed to get three games (MWO, Battletech, MW5) out of it.

Not really sure the demand for Heavy Gear is there, though.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

I think it's less copyright weirdness and more that the two companies couldn't come to an agreement on a new licensing contract, and DP9 being a small company and getting burned by the aforementioned 3rd game has made them very cautious to not have that happen again.

And yeah, they're games I really like, but I don't think they were massively popular even at the time.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

And yeah, they're games I really like, but I don't think they were massively popular even at the time.

I don't think so either; I happened to get both copies at a Half-Price Books but I never recalled seeing them (at least not in any meaningful quantities?) on store shelves, and nobody I knew played either of them or had any familiarity with them.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/pagb666/status/1697143393191653719?t=aeGQ0LE1mf9Aj7l4lvwSww&s=19

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

my god! what is that man doing to his slipgate!!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Oh hey it's that person who does all the walkthroughs on youtube. I love their work!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh hey it's that person who does all the walkthroughs on youtube. I love their work!

Fellow spaniard and old rear end #Doom on irc-hispano user back in the days. Great non commentary walkthroughs on his channel

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I just want Black to get a PC release and a remaster.

And Bodycount too, it was a fun bad game.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Assepoester posted:

The First Person Id Software Games Time Has Forgotten, aka Doom RPG, Wolfenstein RPG, and what the hell is Orcs and Elves? Nintendo DS? What?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0fwb9jKtIg

You'd have to wipe my memory to make me forget about Orcs & Elves!

I imagine I have a very old iPhone collecting dust in a shoe box that still has Wolfenstein RPG and Doom II RPG, although I never even booted up the latter.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Worth noting that Doom RPG and Doom 2 RPG have lovely reverse-engineering-induced Windows ports, should you wish to see them for yourself in a convenient, hi-res form. Sounds like Wolfenstein RPG is in the works, too!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Orcs and Elves for DS was massively superior to the phone version so guess who bought it twice???

God I miss those games.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Finally the quake/unreal tournament crossover we've all been waiting for!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

I think it's less copyright weirdness and more that the two companies couldn't come to an agreement on a new licensing contract, and DP9 being a small company and getting burned by the aforementioned 3rd game has made them very cautious to not have that happen again.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I don't think so either; I happened to get both copies at a Half-Price Books but I never recalled seeing them (at least not in any meaningful quantities?) on store shelves, and nobody I knew played either of them or had any familiarity with them.

This reminds me that the copy of Heavy Gear 1 we had was marked "NOT FOR SALE IN NORTH AMERICA" on the discs. My father got it at a local computer show (remember those?) so I'm guessing the source of procurement the vendor used was....less than official haha.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Not an fps but apparently this was put together on zdoom

site fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 31, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's so drat crazy how talented some people are.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
GZDoom: "Because it's there!"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

new captain wayne trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_4U4lDC1mo

the demo ruled (that one enemy's charge attack can gently caress off tho)

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

GUI posted:

I just want Black to get a PC release and a remaster.

Word. Single-player "tacticool" shooters where you mow down dozens of mooks at a time that aren't CoD or Battlefield are practically non-existent these days. Believe me, I've looked. In fact I just re-rewatched Frenzy the Killbot's LP of Black and it still looks like dumb fun.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Grimthwacker posted:

Word. Single-player "tacticool" shooters where you mow down dozens of mooks at a time that aren't CoD or Battlefield are practically non-existent these days. Believe me, I've looked. In fact I just re-rewatched Frenzy the Killbot's LP of Black and it still looks like dumb fun.

If you have Game Pass Ultimate, it’s on it if you wanted to give it a whirl.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Grimthwacker posted:

It's the kind of game that would really benefit from a higher frame rate and snappier controls imo

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
RIP Volition

quote:

A year after the underwhelming release of the Saints Row reboot, and just two months after celebrating 30 years of operation, Volition has been closed.

Word of the shutdown initially emerged from employees reporting their layoffs on Twitter, and was later confirmed in a statement released by Volition.

"This past June, Embracer Group announced a restructuring program to strengthen Embracer and maintain its position as a leader in the videogame indsutry," Volition said. "As part of that program, they evaluated strategic and operational goals and made the difficult decision to close Volition immediately.

"To help our team, we are working to provide job assistance and help smooth the transition for our Volition family members. We thank our customers and fans around the world for all the love and support over the years. You will always be in our hearts."

Volition was founded in 1993 as Parallax Software, and made an immediate splash with the 6DOF shooter Descent. Renamed to Volition a few years later, it followed up with the brilliant Freespace space combat sims and the famously destructible Red Faction FPS games, and the Saints Row series. It was acquired by THQ in 2000, and then after THQ went under it ended up with Deep Silver.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Embracer bought all these companies in an attempt to flip them to the Saudis for over $2 billion dollars but it fell apart so now they’re scrambling to find ways to stop hemorrhaging money.

Volition never really recovered from Agents of Mayhem. They followed it up with a mediocre remaster of SR3 and it seemed like the Saints Row reboot was doomed from the start.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

First red faction was a fun if mostly novel game. I didn't bother much with the story, just dug holes into the walls like some sort of dwarf so I could shoot idiots

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
One of my favorite things about the original Red Faction was granting these idiots a merciful death

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

to hell with orders, die capek

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

relentless frontier targeting Q1 2024 for early access release, probably will be at realms deep

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Red Faction was probably the first shooter I actually recognised as like, an entry in a genre (we didn't have a pc that could particularly run 3d stuff very reliably, and before that I'd only really played alien trilogy and demos of quake 2 on the PS1) and I thought it was extremely cool as a kid - to be honest I still think the story is pretty interesting as shooters go but the VA is absolutely dire.

It's also the first shooter I had with a deathmatch mode so I got to learn that I was actually quite good at shooters at the exact same time that my dad learned that he was actually quite bad at shooters.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh yeah, beat the Black Labyrinth. All in all, it was more Amid Evil--which is good--but didn't feel like a notable leap forward in any appreciable way. A few too many underwater sections, and the last boss just felt weirdly haphazard with its attack patterns. Like, I could see the concepts they were going for, they just didn't feel cleanly executed.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I think I prefer the base game at this point. There's some insanely cool stuff in BL (swords) but ultimately I just liked the level design and above all color palette of the first

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

The 7th Guest posted:

relentless frontier targeting Q1 2024 for early access release, probably will be at realms deep

Looks like that machine gun has terrible gunfeel, getting that impression even without sound, ouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

Finally the quake/unreal tournament crossover we've all been waiting for!

Gaping Worlds