Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

priznat posted:

I wonder if they will go for the unlockable options after the fact, probably since polestar does that with their performance mode iirc?

I don’t really mind that but I understand it bugs a lot of people as a business model.

When I investigated after the penultimate jeep delay, the Volvo dealer told in unequivocal way "no unlock after purchase" for the EX30 since I wanted the park assist but without the fancy trim that included it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

SlowBloke posted:

When I investigated after the penultimate jeep delay, the Volvo dealer told in unequivocal way "no unlock after purchase" for the EX30 since I wanted the park assist but without the fancy trim that included it.

Interesting! I wonder if they have different assembly items at the factory or if they still have all the hardware but don’t want to potentially alienate customers that would not like the post purchase unlocking. I’d guess the latter.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

priznat posted:

Interesting! I wonder if they have different assembly items at the factory or if they still have all the hardware but don’t want to potentially alienate customers that would not like the post purchase unlocking. I’d guess the latter.

From the little i managed to understand, the wiring loom is the same but the sensor suite in the back gets completed only on the ULTRA trim in order to be able to use all the ADAS.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

the wise man bowed his head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference in battery wear between slow charging & DC fast charging. you imbeciles. you loving morons"

https://insideevs.com/news/683961/fast-charging-vs-slow-charging-study-ev-range-degradation/

I wish someone had told this to Toyota before they decided on the 90kWh daily fast charging allowance on the bZ4X.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Saukkis posted:

I wish someone had told this to Toyota before they decided on the 90kWh daily fast charging allowance on the bZ4X.

The bizzy forks is just a bad car in what is now a pretty competitive field.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Saukkis posted:

Their results are based on Teslas only, nobody knows what the bz4x's battery cooling system is capable of compensating for. It's par for the course for the press to take a specific, limited data set and write a headline and article that's much broader.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

lostleaf posted:

I just left the model 3 for 20 days in an uncovered airport parking lot with overheat protection on but no sentry mode. It dropped 2%. This car is a little over 5 years old with 80k miles. I remember the first time I left for a trip, I obsessively checked it twice a day for a week and it dropped 6-8%. Lol, It was even in the same SFO parking lot. So don't check the Tesla app and it'll be fine.

Thanks for the info medium/long term parking folks, sounds like it's not really much of a concern.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

pun pundit posted:

Their results are based on Teslas only, nobody knows what the bz4x's battery cooling system is capable of compensating for. It's par for the course for the press to take a specific, limited data set and write a headline and article that's much broader.

Some day we may find a bz4x owner to correct the record

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

SlowBloke posted:

Wait are the EX30 trim levels out? Is this for the U.S.?

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

Doubtful, they dont have the internet

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Tiny Timbs posted:

I actually really like the RZ, it's overpriced but it feels like they actually managed to get a Lexus EV crossover right. No one pedal though, complete deal killer.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Rivian will soon be building its existing line of cars with the dual-motor Enduro platform used in their Amazon vans. The R1T pickup truck and R1S SUV will have up to 400 miles of range. Coming out in 2024.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/08/rivians-new-dual-motor-evs-boost-range-to-390-miles/

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

EX30 has been sold for months in Italy and other European regions. Historically they kept the same trim levels for both continents since the Geely purchase.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Vegetable posted:

Rivian will soon be building its existing line of cars with the dual-motor Enduro platform used in their Amazon vans. The R1T pickup truck and R1S SUV will have up to 400 miles of range. Coming out in 2024.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/08/rivians-new-dual-motor-evs-boost-range-to-390-miles/

they’re only like $7k cheaper than the quad motor versions, but also really fast sans some of the quad motor-specific tricks, and the base trims qualify for the tax credit so at least there’s that

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would be inclined to buy the new version with the common Amazon delivery platform simply because parts availability for those should be absolutely phenomenal but that's just a guess

Edit yeah looks like Amazon has committed to buying 100k through 2030 but no idea where the order fulfillment is at yet

I would expect in ten years quad motor parts will become scarce, especially if they drop that option entirely

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Aug 31, 2023

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

pun pundit posted:

The data may not apply completely, but it doesn't make that limit less idiotic. If you allow one fast charging session I don't understand why you wouldn't allow ten in a row. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Wait, does the BZ4X seriously have an arbitrary cap of 90kWh per day of fast charging? Like it doesn't look at battery temperature or anything else, just you hit 90 in the last 24 hours, no more DCFC for you?

If so, I'm going to do less complaining about GM's dumbshit design choices. I think I've hit 90 kWh charged in a day in my loving Leaf

E: internet says you get throttled to 13kW if you go past the limit. Jesus gently caress.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Aug 31, 2023

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

At least in Sweden you can configure and order directly from Volvo's website (Swedish, may not be available outside the country). The base trim level does have ACC with lanekeeping and all the automatic driver assist safety features (Volvo doesn't usually mess around with that stuff). Notable features that's restricted to the top trim is Park Pilot Assist (as SlowBloke mentioned) and the 22 kW onboard charger (two lower trim levels are 11 kW). The extended range package is available at the lowest trim level but for the dual motors you need either one of the two upper trims. If I'm reading this right though the base trim doesn't come with any USB ports?! That'd be some amazing nickel-and-diming nonsense :v:

One thing I don't get is that the Extended Range package claims to have lower energy consumption per 100 km than the base single motor offering. How is that possible? More batteries must make it heavier. Does it get more efficient motors or better aerodynamics or something?

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Aug 31, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

TheFluff posted:

One thing I don't get is that the Extended Range package claims to have lower energy consumption per 100 km than the base single motor offering. How is that possible? More batteries must make it heavier. Does it get more efficient motors or better aerodynamics or something?

There is more room for regenerative braking, if the battery gets eventually full it's going to have to use the mechanical brakes instead of storing in the battery. More room for regen braking means more charge over time.

That's the only reason I can think up with beside other different systems used in the smaller battery compared to the bigger one.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

TheFluff posted:

Technically, higher voltage will have less resistance losses at the same power output. That really shouldn't be significant for EVs, but I don't understand high power motors well enough to say for sure. It's assuming higher pack capacity will have higher voltage rather than more cells in parallel.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

pun pundit posted:

Technically, higher voltage will have less resistance losses at the same power output. That really shouldn't be significant for EVs, but I don't understand high power motors well enough to say for sure. It's assuming higher pack capacity will have higher voltage rather than more cells in parallel.

Battery pack on EV is usually set up in series of parallels to achieve a fixed voltage (400V or 800V).

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

Battery pack on EV is usually set up in series of parallels to achieve a fixed voltage (400V or 800V).

Roughly. "400V packs" is shorthand, some packs have nominal voltages at 350V, some at 450V. The current Niro has nominal 358V. The previous Niro had 240V nominal. They're all over the place. If two specs have different motors, it's not completely unreasonable that they would have different voltages.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

pun pundit posted:

Roughly. "400V packs" is shorthand, some packs have nominal voltages at 350V, some at 450V. The current Niro has nominal 358V. The previous Niro had 240V nominal. They're all over the place. If two specs have different motors, it's not completely unreasonable that they would have different voltages.

I think I've found the culprit, it's not voltages but chemistry

https://insideevs.com/news/668832/volvo-ex30-battery-options-range-estimate/

Smaller battery is LFP, bigger battery is NMC.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
A possibility is you get more power on tap when you have a larger battery. Therefore, with the extreme torque of electric motors, you can set the gearing to be taller without penalty as long as you have the power to overcome the difficulty from stop and lower speeds.

With a taller gear, you then can be a bit more efficient at highway speeds which is generally where longer range matters most.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bosch is building all their EV tooling around 800v and so all manufacturers are following suit. Mercedes has specifically said they're abandoning their proprietary tech to go 800v for Bosch stuff

I would imagine not only will they save 15-50 lbs but also that permanently lowers the cost of each car those cables are not small

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ducati’s MotoE bike is also 800V. Can’t wait to see what their consumer bike will be like.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

As a previous BMW owner I really hope Bosch has improved the quality of their plastics.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

ChronoReverse posted:

A possibility is you get more power on tap when you have a larger battery. Therefore, with the extreme torque of electric motors, you can set the gearing to be taller without penalty as long as you have the power to overcome the difficulty from stop and lower speeds.

With a taller gear, you then can be a bit more efficient at highway speeds which is generally where longer range matters most.

This isn't really how electric motors work, ICE engines are more efficient at lower speeds as they have significant losses to pumping/friction/windage that increase as motor speed increases. Electric motors might have a tiny increase in windage losses at higher speeds, but I doubt you'd even be able to measure that in terms of real world range.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Tiny Timbs posted:

I won a bz4x at the auto show. Received it, drove it around the block, and sold it back to the dealer in the same transaction. Literally probably would've kept any other Toyota but that car sucks so bad. Maybe controversial take though: I don't mind how it looks?

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Jymmybob posted:

I also just did the lease buyout with an EV6. It went just like Talorat said with a couple minor differences, maybe Kia specific. I sent a cashier's check for the full amount and they had the title to me within a week so it was exactly 2 months from starting the lease to having it titled and registered in my name.

Just make sure you aren't in a state that lets dealers control your lease and that you won't have to pay sales tax twice. It also helps if you can find a dealer that's done it before because it takes some of the stress off.

Considering doing this with an Ioniq 6. I've only ever bought cars cash before so never dealt with leasing.

Did you disclose to the dealer you would be buying out the lease immediately and negotiate price as if you were paying cash or did you just negotiate the lowest cap cost possible and then go from there?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Visited the local Mercedes dealership on Tuesday to find out more about the eSprinter.

Yesterday Mercedes released more details, pretty nice:

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1140662_mercedes-first-us-electric-vans-are-now-available-starting-at-74-181

He sent me the Dealer Ordering Guide etc. today.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

grahm posted:

I won a bz4x at the auto show. Received it, drove it around the block, and sold it back to the dealer in the same transaction. Literally probably would've kept any other Toyota but that car sucks so bad. Maybe controversial take though: I don't mind how it looks?

lmao

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

grahm posted:

are you getting anything else instead, or just pocketing the money?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Apparently tesla gave out details on the model 3 refresh or something

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

gwrtheyrn posted:

Apparently tesla gave out details on the model 3 refresh or something

Copied from Reddit:

Standard range 346 miles (not epa rated yet)

Long range 423 miles (not epa rated yet)

improved suspension

8% efficiency improvement

30% improvement to reduced road / ambient noise

rear screen like model S plaid

ventilated front seats

traditional horn

removed stalks

more responsive and brighter screen

improved bluetooth and wifi

upgraded ventilation / AC system (more controls)

17 speakers, instead of 14 like prior model

about the same price

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ6zIHHMlSs

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Front looks better

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

borkencode posted:

removed stalks

*groans*

Like it sounds all good till this turd.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

There’s no way they got all that range from just aero, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

There’s no way they got all that range from just aero, right?

It's the new improved batteries, which are only made in China and thus present a significant problem for the tax credit situation.

Are they doing this along a model year boundary, or are new and old models going to be the same model year?