Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Is tubal ligation reversible? I forgot I did it before I did the archonexus stuff and she has good genes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
no. you can't even use a healer mech serum on tubal ligation. you might be able to harvest an egg from her for IVF, though. not sure.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I’m away from my computer but I’m pretty sure it’s like menopause where you can’t harvest eggs.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If youre cool with mods and weren't traumatized by Soma, Questionable Ethics Expanded lets you create clones and brain scans

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Biotech Cloning is what you'll want if you're running Biotech. Questionable Ethics Expanded has problems with Biotech last I ran it. Couldn't schedule any surgeries or create new bills level of problems. If you're not running the DLC though, go for it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh drat even if QEE's cloning did work, that one has way more options

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Are there any mods that let you add different info directly to the colonist bar icons at the top? (Specifically, psyfocus %). Would be nice to have that up as a constant reminder instead of having to dig through Numbers to get it.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Sleepy Joe made a friend!

Another merchant brought an old one around, but I didn't buy it and it collapsed before it could leave the map. Then it took so long to starve that it went wild first so I rescued it and set it and Joe up in the secular party hall with nice beds. I dunno what to name it though.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

metasynthetic posted:

Sleepy Joe made a friend!

Another merchant brought an old one around, but I didn't buy it and it collapsed before it could leave the map. Then it took so long to starve that it went wild first so I rescued it and set it and Joe up in the secular party hall with nice beds. I dunno what to name it though.

always the classic: Lazarus

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Jeffrey of Colossus

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

DoubleNegative posted:

They're more common if you run with the Ratkin mod, as for some reason, the game loves to make the NPC Ratkin factions slave traders.
They're the only vanilla caravan type that lets you buy and sell pawns (though the empire will take 'em too). They're always (or almost always?) offering them as colonists, not slaves, so I think the idea the mod maker was going for is that you're hiring new colonists, buying mercenaries, or other non-slave stuff since it's the easiest way to do that. And having caravans offering colonists is important for them since there's no enemy faction with any so it's effectively the only way to get new ratkin colonists outside of a lucky drop pod.

And yeah there's a lot of events like slave trader caravans and pawns wandering in and asking to join that only fire if you're below a certain number of pawns so you can (re)build your base easier. Once you have X number of pawns they just shut off entirely unless you get enough murdered to drop below the threshold again. And the cutoff is fairly low too though I don't remember it specifically... five colonists? Seven? No more than that anyway. :effort:

death cob for cutie posted:

e: also, from the new Vanilla Deserters content, IDK if it's a bug or something about my mods, but the fletcher rifle is busted as hell - it will absolutely kill mechanoids dead with its acid debuff.
Yeah they're basically NPC cheat guns that you can occasionally earn. I think they're usually only found on the assassins who show up without a letter, snipe some important pawn from halfway across the map, and run the hell away. It tends to work pretty well for them too unless you're watching things like a hawk since you'll otherwise only notice the event when the speed slows down because a pawn just had their head exploded. But on the upside they're just as overpowered in player hands, so...

Despite the name, vanilla expanded stuff varies... widely in difficulty and balance. As a preemptive warning, having a mountain base will not save you from the 100 threat "we're literally nuking you from orbit" laser bombardment. If you mess up that much it's basically time to move to a new map since anything on your current run is getting obliterated. :v:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

DoubleNegative posted:

We've had the "war crimes" question a few times now. So how about the opposite. What are some of the nice things you do? Stuff like planting fruit trees along the paths in your base, so your pawns can have fresh fruit as part of their meals, as well as the sweet smell of fruit blossoms outdoors. Tell me about small things you do that make their lives better in little ways.
My colony leader and moral guide are a married couple with a big lavish central bedroom, luxury meals, beauty and love enhancing implants. Ageless gene mods keep them forever youthful. When not having frequent sex, they spend their day hours sitting upon their legendary thrones or staring at masterwork art keeping them at permanent max happiness.

From this central location and hedonistic lifestyle they then send these good vibes throughout the colony with psychic harmonizers, keeping the rest of the colony happy to toil away on their behalf.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Leal posted:

I have plenty of humans who hate me but I only get mech raids now. The only chance I have of getting human bodies for anything is raiding those various sites that have 30+ people in them cause thats what a site is and not what one would just call a settlement.
Does distance to the hostile faction bases at all matter? Does it matter if you destroy all but one base, or only if you wipe them out entirely?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Distance doesn’t matter, but if you destroy every faction base you won’t get any raids from them anymore (almost certainly meaningless by the time you’re strong enough to supercaravan around the world like that)

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Note that storytellers roll “raid” first and then pick a faction, so if you eliminate a faction you get the same number of raids but will get none from the folks you wiped out.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

As an addendum raids will still wander in just fine even if you have a map on some tiny desert Island tile. Caravans can't reach you though. :argh: I wish location had more of an effect in both directions but it is what it is. Definitely treat isolated islands as hard mode though since you can't caravan out to buy/sell things and you can't do quests because they need a minimum distance from your base and thus spawn across the ocean on the mainland. Having SRTS or vehicle framework or the like to give you reusable air transportation can help but those tend to be mid or late game acquisitions.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

LonsomeSon posted:

Note that storytellers roll “raid” first and then pick a faction, so if you eliminate a faction you get the same number of raids but will get none from the folks you wiped out.

I believe it for Cassandra, but I’ve heard with Randy it actually decreases your raids without just substituting origins. I haven’t seen anyone test it though, and I’m not sure how you would without taking a lot of time.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

ShadowHawk posted:

My colony leader and moral guide are a married couple with a big lavish central bedroom, luxury meals, beauty and love enhancing implants. Ageless gene mods keep them forever youthful. When not having frequent sex, they spend their day hours sitting upon their legendary thrones or staring at masterwork art keeping them at permanent max happiness.

From this central location and hedonistic lifestyle they then send these good vibes throughout the colony with psychic harmonizers, keeping the rest of the colony happy to toil away on their behalf.

Do harmonizers work in reverse? If poo poo gets genuinely bad will they feel it and get negative vibes?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Do harmonizers work in reverse? If poo poo gets genuinely bad will they feel it and get negative vibes?
Yep! :v:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

SniperWoreConverse posted:

It's faction based so some people will use a prisoner to make enemies feel extra bad!

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
There's nothing I love more than cavalry glamour shots

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Good :colbert:

Fair is fair

isndl posted:

It's faction based so some people will use a prisoner to make enemies feel extra bad!

This is hosed up

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

isndl posted:

Finally a reason for my psychically deaf colonies to care about something psy related!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

I believe it for Cassandra, but I’ve heard with Randy it actually decreases your raids without just substituting origins. I haven’t seen anyone test it though, and I’m not sure how you would without taking a lot of time.

you can analyze his decision-making code. rimworld is all .net/C# so it can and has been disassembled for ages. it's how modding first started.

last i inquired about the subject (like 3 years ago), the way you describe is correct.

basically cassie and pheobe filter their "bad" options by wealth first, and "raid" is considered one heading under those options. this is why, eventually, cassie and pheobe will ONLY raid you, because your wealth is high enough it's their only option after filtering. randy, instead, lists what he CAN do, chooses from that, and then only takes wealth into consideration if it's salient to what was chosen.

raids from individual powers are considered their own results. so impid colony, neanderthal colony, spacer colony, mechanoid cluster, mad animal, toxic fallout, volcanic winter, blah blah. if randy pulls a raid from this hat, he puts a much wilder wealth spread on it and forms the raid based on that. but since he's not interested in the wealth INITIALLY, it can have a lot of other results. this is how you can still see Mad Rat years later with Randy on.

this may have been tweaked, or i may have been told wrong in the first place. i should probably crack open the code myself at some point, I can read C# just fine but I never really cared enough to set up the environment and disassemble the code.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Coolguye posted:

nerd poo poo

Thank you for this post from the bottom of my fiddly management heart.

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

isndl posted:

The 'need blood', 'need food' and 'need deathrest' moods are pretty severe and vampires are immortal, wonder if you could vampirise a captured hostile tribal, remove their legs and leave them in a walled-off cell after plugging a mindscrew and harmonizer into their head. It's always difficult for mood debuffs to have a fast enough effect to break an enemy wave before they assault.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I distinctly remember some guy on reddit or something ages ago who constructed an elaborate defense based on making incoming raiders mentally break on the way in with all the various ways to tank pawn mood, and a central cell in the intake maze with a bunch of psychic harmonizer prisoners with the worst moods possible was part of it.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Really feels like you’d have to build at the Dejawasp scale of intentional cruelty to even be able to get results from this, let alone useful ones.

Autobongs and modded versions which inflict other drug statuses would probably have a better and more immediate effect since being crossed on space weed and beers negatively affects a bunch of stats including manipulation, reducing accuracy.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Coolguye posted:

basically cassie and pheobe filter their "bad" options by wealth first, and "raid" is considered one heading under those options. this is why, eventually, cassie and pheobe will ONLY raid you, because your wealth is high enough it's their only option after filtering. randy, instead, lists what he CAN do, chooses from that, and then only takes wealth into consideration if it's salient to what was chosen.

Ah very cool, thanks!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

yeah phoebe and cassandra are very much intended to FORCE you to leave the planet after a certain point, that was sort of the whole stated goal of the "AI Storyteller" from the beginning, to create a sense of escalating tension throughout your playthrough driving you toward the "goal"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kanos posted:

I distinctly remember some guy on reddit or something ages ago who constructed an elaborate defense based on making incoming raiders mentally break on the way in with all the various ways to tank pawn mood, and a central cell in the intake maze with a bunch of psychic harmonizer prisoners with the worst moods possible was part of it.

Here's something from the wiki

This is one of the worst things I've seen in Rimworld.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Jesus loving Christ. :catstare:

The player-base "jokes" about war crimes, but why do I have the feeling that the game is quickly becoming a war crime simulator for some people? Why would anyone do that?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That one is way, way beyond other war crimes and is totally achievable in vanilla.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

jokes posted:

You know what, I should plant some flowers around the colony, maybe add a pool

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

DoubleNegative posted:

Jesus loving Christ. :catstare:

The player-base "jokes" about war crimes, but why do I have the feeling that the game is quickly becoming a war crime simulator for some people? Why would anyone do that?

Because using the fantasy world of videogames to do supervillain poo poo is fun

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

hailthefish posted:

yeah phoebe and cassandra are very much intended to FORCE you to leave the planet after a certain point, that was sort of the whole stated goal of the "AI Storyteller" from the beginning, to create a sense of escalating tension throughout your playthrough driving you toward the "goal"

this was extremely true back before 1.0; it was a stated design goal from tynan at one point. i'm less certain how true that is nowadays, since there's many times more content than there was back in the EA alphas now. might be, but one thing that is absolutely true is that Cassie and Pheobe still hit on a schedule you can set your watch to. i'm completely uninterested in them as long as they're calibrated like that, it feels so plastic and wrong in game.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Kanos posted:

the tzeentchian gambit

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jokes posted:

Does it become better or worse if you replace the mindscrew with a joywire and entomb them in the walls of the barracks? :v:

Is it possible that the mood boosting archotech beacon you can find is actually just a highly compact form of this?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's honestly best to put a psychic harmonizer and joywire into a slutty drug addict's brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Someone must have made a mod where you can go full techno-horror and plug bits of people into machines that just constantly feed them drugs and food. Straight out of Quake 4.