Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah I got fed some line about how "You're not ready yet, but soon" to even apply for an internal position I was more qualified for than anyone in the building, and I was putting in my notice like two months later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Parallelwoody posted:

Yeah I got fed some line about how "You're not ready yet, but soon" to even apply for an internal position I was more qualified for than anyone in the building, and I was putting in my notice like two months later.

Oof.

Yeah we get fluff pieces of the C-suite talking about their careers and every single one of the fuckers is like "oh my most important role was the one I was absolutely not prepared for but I took it and listened to the team and I learned so much, I was so absolutely humbled and honored to work alongside such shining examples of [corporate ideals]"

Then in my career discussion I suggest that I'm interested in taking the next step and my boss is like "oh but have you considered how much value a lateral could bring to your career?" and I'm like "Yeah, sure did, less than a promotion so gonna just angle to move up" and then after some back and forth I get a "just not sure you're ready yet, what if you did some extra prep work"?

Apparently "C-suite fuckwads won't shut up about how not ready they were for all their most transformative roles and I can deal with ambiguity so I'm gonna stretch myself " isn't the right answer because after like 20 seconds of awkward silence I got "Hmm, yes, but have you considered a lateral" and I just murmured some platitudes so I could get back to daydrinking because this all happened on a public holiday that accountants apparently don't get to have off because reasons.

I should never have attempted to improve my station in life and just kept playing videogames in an unsanitary hovel; I'd probably have been happier.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you are allowed to just say things in business. the only place you are not allowed to lie is contracts and the punishment is just money or performance

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Zarin posted:

I should never have attempted to improve my station in life and just kept playing videogames in an unsanitary hovel; I'd probably have been happier.
I did this until I was almost 35 and TBH yeah, it was way fukkan better than having a "real job".

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Parallelwoody posted:

Preach. I've posted about this before, but I spent six years in one place being told I wasn't ready to move up. Subsequently went job hunting for higher level roles, missed out on one because they thought I was too senior, and they instead offered me a senior management role. 30% pay bump. Don't let them keep you underpaid.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Parallelwoody posted:

+1 to this, I was talking to my manager and mentioned that a lot of people my age/experience were making it to senior and he flat-out said "I think they're getting promoted too soon"

I had a senior position at a 40% raise not 2 months later. Granted it's a bit of a meat grinder in comparison to my luxe previous job but I'm succeeding at it

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Another important part of changing jobs is that your experience is in your current company, which means it's essentially the same as everyone else's. But in a new job, all that experience is a fresh perspective, which is much more valuable, especially since you will pretty quickly be able to compare old and new and find the best way. It's also amazing how much you realize you actually know when you move away from the people who haven't taught you those things or heard them a million times before.

So yeah, don't ever be afraid to jump ship.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
One of the interesting things I'm learning right now is that the UK cybersecurity degree courses don't seem to actually include basic scripting in there, or at least whatever level they teach it to makes me look like some form of mad wizard to recruiters by virtue of having taken the "traditional" career path of generalised CS degree > helpdesk phone monkey > other IT job. It's rather eye-opening to realise that I've got a whole pile more in-depth knowledge than most people looking at the same jobs when I'm going "oh yeah I have six years in various security roles" and not mentioning all the other stuff I did to get to that first security job.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 31, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If people tell you you aren't ready for a promotion without specific gaps that you need to close they're stringing you along.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I’ve told people in the last year that they aren’t getting promoted and the conversation is always about what they need to do to get promoted in the next cycle (or that I don’t think they will, and to plan for 2 cycles… and what they need to do).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Our board got collectively dropped on their heads recently and after like, six years of working very hard to reinforce cycle-based promotion schedules with everyone being managed to promotion on-cycle just decided to promote a) a number of people off cycle and then b) a follow up to promote one specific non-entity off-off-cycle.

To say I am annoyed is an understatement.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If people tell you you aren't ready for a promotion without specific gaps that you need to close they're stringing you along.

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah I’ve told people in the last year that they aren’t getting promoted and the conversation is always about what they need to do to get promoted in the next cycle (or that I don’t think they will, and to plan for 2 cycles… and what they need to do).

Sometimes it's the company not the person. If numbers are bad and budgets are tight, people who should get promoted won't.

Sometimes it's also lovely upper management who put stronger bars against women or minorities for judging against the rubric.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Our board got collectively dropped on their heads recently and after like, six years of working very hard to reinforce cycle-based promotion schedules with everyone being managed to promotion on-cycle just decided to promote a) a number of people off cycle and then b) a follow up to promote one specific non-entity off-off-cycle.

Did they fund them with layoffs? Last time I saw that they laid off a bunch of people before promoting execs to senior execs off cycle.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

We're both in a consulting environment where promotions are pretty sacred. If numbers are bad and budgets are tight people will get laid off before you gently caress with promotion schedules for people who are achieving.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Sometimes its because the person kinda sucks but doesn't quite suck enough to warrant action...yet.

Same advice for the person though, I guess.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

leper khan posted:

Did they fund them with layoffs? Last time I saw that they laid off a bunch of people before promoting execs to senior execs off cycle.

No, we're doing perfectly fine on revenue; cost numbers are less good but still decent. Hiring is slower but that was expected. Again, this is consulting so you're selling hours; laying people off is generally stupid unless they're not performing or you really do not have work.

The off-off-cycle promotion is to the leadership team, which also irritates me, because this person is not qualified and they are also in a back-office role that does not have clear requirements and if they left nobody would care.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That is frustrating as hell. The cycle is annoying but maintaining it keeps everyone in line.

I do think the 2x per year cycle in places like Deloitte is way better than the 1x per year cycle. A year is too long to make people wait for a maybe in this business.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

That is frustrating as hell. The cycle is annoying but maintaining it keeps everyone in line.

I do think the 2x per year cycle in places like Deloitte is way better than the 1x per year cycle. A year is too long to make people wait for a maybe in this business.

I agree, I would prefer us to move to a 2x/year to give more opportunity to people and give more true checkpoints for progress. The all-or-nothing nature of the annual cycle is frustrating, and for some people they're not ready in 12 but they are in 18. The problem is that the cycle is a heavy administrative burden and we're still pretty small.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Jordan7hm posted:

We've done a kind of tick-tock cycle where we had a bigger promotion cycle once a year and then a smaller opportunity that was more of a "need" but still a set time where you can put people if you really can't/shouldn't wait another 6 months.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lockback posted:

We've done a kind of tick-tock cycle where we had a bigger promotion cycle once a year and then a smaller opportunity that was more of a "need" but still a set time where you can put people if you really can't/shouldn't wait another 6 months.

That’s what Deloitte does, what EY in the US has done. The normal cycle is late summer / early fall, but some folks get agile promotions if well deserved in early winter. The comp is typically not the full comp improvement, but rather a partial increase that gets trued up in the main cycle. I’ve never really seen someone get a winter promote and think it was undeserved.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

We require 2 “overachieving” or 1 “holy poo poo this person is good” ratings before we can promote someone, and then it’s subject to running the gauntlet of the people who didn’t get the promotion and the candidate’s new peers. It’s pretty brutal! But I think it’s well designed.

E: structurally it obviously still is way harder than being hired into a senior role as an outsider, but since that’s how I got in, glass houses, stones.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I may have asked this before, but I can't find it. Modern job application sites liked LinkedIn, Indeed and ZipRecruiter will sometimes have little questionnaires embedded into the process. Sometimes they ask sensible things like "What's your LinkedIn Profile" or "What are your pronouns" (which I am happy with) and sometimes it's things already on your resume. Well, other times, it says the dreaded "What are your salary requirements" question there to gatekeep you and keep costs down. What do you all put down? Obviously, this assumes there's no range listed. Of course, if there is a range listed, then why are the asking. if there is no range listed for the position, the correct answer is to write "Suck My loving Dick" and not apply but for funsies let's play along.

When it's text, I put a load of flim-flam, and when it's a number, I put a 0 since I think it's more likely that they discard high numbers than low numbers, but maybe I should just put in a gently caress you number. In any case, I note that they did this in my log so if it goes further I know to be prepared to play hardball.

Are there any hiring manages who have been on the other side of that?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
$1,000,000

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I think 0,1, or 999999999 is better because it lets you communicate that you don't want to talk about that yet without being weird about it. HR sets up our process and its the same gate the whole company uses so I can't change it. I think any decent hiring manager will see the number and get the point.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Zarin posted:

Oof.

Yeah we get fluff pieces of the C-suite talking about their careers and every single one of the fuckers is like "oh my most important role was the one I was absolutely not prepared for but I took it and listened to the team and I learned so much, I was so absolutely humbled and honored to work alongside such shining examples of [corporate ideals]"

Then in my career discussion I suggest that I'm interested in taking the next step and my boss is like "oh but have you considered how much value a lateral could bring to your career?" and I'm like "Yeah, sure did, less than a promotion so gonna just angle to move up" and then after some back and forth I get a "just not sure you're ready yet, what if you did some extra prep work"?

Apparently "C-suite fuckwads won't shut up about how not ready they were for all their most transformative roles and I can deal with ambiguity so I'm gonna stretch myself " isn't the right answer because after like 20 seconds of awkward silence I got "Hmm, yes, but have you considered a lateral" and I just murmured some platitudes so I could get back to daydrinking because this all happened on a public holiday that accountants apparently don't get to have off because reasons.

These interviews are a textbook case of survivorship bias. No one ever does these interviews with people who weren’t promoted. My workplace did this stuff (they labeled it career building) and I quickly realized that the interviewees were unremarkable and not even especially talented. What they got was opportunities to move up, learn things, and grow their profile.

If you want to move up the ladder, you have to work for people who are willing and able to promote you. Nothing else matters, not even your ability to do the job. Go out and try to find those people if you want to get promoted.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Beefeater1980 posted:

We require 2 “overachieving” or 1 “holy poo poo this person is good” ratings before we can promote someone, and then it’s subject to running the gauntlet of the people who didn’t get the promotion and the candidate’s new peers. It’s pretty brutal! But I think it’s well designed.

E: structurally it obviously still is way harder than being hired into a senior role as an outsider, but since that’s how I got in, glass houses, stones.
How often are you running your review process so that people can get those ratings?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yes, this is absolutely what is happening. My disposition is such that I will always work as hard as possible, so I need to be in a position where the compensation is appropriate for that.

When I was early in this role, someone in another department tried to poach me and give me a promotion and I declined it because I felt an obligation to the people that hired me, a sentiment that my then-managers echoed. Then they all left for other teams! That is to say that internal moves are also a possibility, and I have some contacts in various areas that I could lean on for that, but at this point I think my company sees me as a cheap asset and treats me as such.

I think what I’m going to do is try to put a resume together, maybe look into a resume prep service or something, and start trying to develop a career path while I wait things out at my current job so I can collect the year-end bonus and round out two years in my current role. Then I’ll start applying to external opportunities. In between now and then, I can apply to internal openings both to potentially improve my position here and signal to my current managers that I’m not satisfied.

Update on this: they approached me today and offered a promotion (with the company standard 14% raise.) Probably because I told them in no uncertain terms at my mid-year review that I had previously received offers from other teams within the company.

Doesn’t change things that much, I still need to get a LinkedIn together, update my resume and start doing some field research. As part of that process, I discovered that the person who I initially replaced in this role (and my former direct report) is now the director of a similar department at another company, so there’s contact #1 made!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

MickeyFinn posted:

These interviews are a textbook case of survivorship bias. No one ever does these interviews with people who weren’t promoted. My workplace did this stuff (they labeled it career building) and I quickly realized that the interviewees were unremarkable and not even especially talented. What they got was opportunities to move up, learn things, and grow their profile.

If you want to move up the ladder, you have to work for people who are willing and able to promote you. Nothing else matters, not even your ability to do the job. Go out and try to find those people if you want to get promoted.

When I was under a manager who wouldn't advocate for me, I was promoted once in four years and it was two years later than it should have been (according to principals / partners who would know). My next company, I had a manager who advocated for me and was promoted twice in three years. It makes such a difference.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

At my company every senior leader states that moving around the company and taking new challenges was the most beneficial thing for their development. When asked if they believe that people can do that now they say absolutely yes. When asked what they are doing to enable it they start mumbling.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Chaotic Flame posted:

When I was under a manager who wouldn't advocate for me, I was promoted once in four years and it was two years later than it should have been (according to principals / partners who would know). My next company, I had a manager who advocated for me and was promoted twice in three years. It makes such a difference.

Some companies measure manager performance based on number of promotions they make happen.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Arquinsiel posted:

How often are you running your review process so that people can get those ratings?

Twice annually

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I used to work for a large F100 company. They'd regularly trot out a senior exec to talk about their career path, how they moved up the ranks, etc. And I don't think they intended it this way, but it was crystal clear that they moved up and around a lot due to being in the company when it was first founded, and those sorts of opportunities are either incredibly difficult (i.e. transferring to an office in Europe or Asia, which they outright block now) or impossible (set up a brand new division).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Omne posted:

I used to work for a large F100 company. They'd regularly trot out a senior exec to talk about their career path, how they moved up the ranks, etc. And I don't think they intended it this way, but it was crystal clear that they moved up and around a lot due to being in the company when it was first founded, and those sorts of opportunities are either incredibly difficult (i.e. transferring to an office in Europe or Asia, which they outright block now) or impossible (set up a brand new division).

Oh yeah, for sure. Working for a growing newish company was absolutely the biggest factor for my growth.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I know of a person who has been promoted every 12-18 months since joining the company. Ended up running a business segment in near record time. The managers must have really recognized their potential for blowback if they messed with the career of a founder’s nephew

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

The only promotions I've received have been from moving jobs but I've also been in so many absurdly hosed professional situations I should write a book. I've also increased my salary 307% in 6ish years and am now fully wfh, and the last 1/4 of that increase I can directly attribute to the advice in this thread. I can't think of another resource on the internet that has had such a material impact on my quality of life than this one.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Depends largely on the company and industry. I got promoted within 6 months at this place.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
My manager very suddenly left just short of a year for me, and despite telling me I was a shoo-in for promotion this fall (spring cycle was just shy of a year and apparently difficult to get approved), mentioned nothing to her boss, now our interim boss for the past 6 months. So much for that. List for promotion supposed to be forthcoming but I expect I’m pretty well screwed for this cycle at the very least.

E: this is after being given a lower raise than the guy who’s been there for less than 6 months (3 at the time of raise) despite being rated exceeds on all categories with absolutely no criticisms. Been advised on the side I need to be relentlessly promoting myself at all times, and that’s just not how I operate. Don’t need a second job. Sorry /endrant

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 1, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Beefeater1980 posted:

Twice annually
That's pretty good. I'm enjoying watching my company's owners scramble to work out how to not pay people more on the "annual evaluations" that haven't happened... well since the company was founded five years ago.

The most senior person here is sick of their poo poo and just grumbling to everyone who will listen and it's great :allears:

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Arquinsiel posted:

The most senior person here is sick of their poo poo and just grumbling to everyone who will listen and it's great :allears:

This person is my spirit animal. Guide me, Great One!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Having "a discussion" about this at lunch with our CEO. Let's see how much power I actually wield here.