Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The fridge door in Guardians od the Galaxy. It's always open and I always close it. I did a search and it seems like a lot people does the same even though there's no trophies for doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cleretic posted:

Some neat little unstated things from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 that just hit me despite being right there the whole time:

Despite Keves' aesthetics being based on XC1 and Agnus' on XC2, the sides somehow traded home bases; Keves Castle is based on the capital city of Mor Ardain in XC2, while Agnus Castle is based on Alcamoth, the High Entia's capital from XC1. A fun little sign that while they're clearly at war now, they were comparing notes at some point.

And on a completely different tack: Lanz's Chain Art is a barely-veiled Guilty Gear reference. He poses like Sol Badguy for it, and it's called Tyrant Wave, just one letter off from Sol's Tyrant Rave. It's really obvious when you see it, but you don't see it because why would Xenoblade be referencing Guilty Gear?

A couple of places being at war probably makes it more likely they're comparing notes than less, heh.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

In Baldur's Gate 3, without much spoilers, in Act 2, there's a toll house with a toll collector that has a neat gimmick: the more gold she has, the stronger her attacks and defense/health are. You can bypass the fight with some persuasion checks, but you can also kill all the little underlings that are around to shred her health bar. Each one is worth 100 gold that falls off the main miniboss. There's at least a couple thousand gold laying around the tollhouse between the fight and all the chests, so it's very worth it!

The part I love is the dialogue before the fights gives you a prompt to toss her a gold coin. I did this about 10-15 times because there's a similar situation earlier in the game where a Tiefling kid is trying to sell you a ring of luck, and they prove it's lucky by flipping a coin and having you call it in the air. You can tell them that it might not be the ring's doing and make them flip the coin again, with a little bit of unique dialogue if you do it about 10-15 times. For this Act 2 situation, the conversation goes:

Toll Collector: "GOLD... GIVE ME GOLD...!"
Tav: *tosses her a gold piece*
Toll Collector: *makes the absolute worst noises ever*
Toll Collector: "GOLD... GIVE ME GOLD...!"

repeat.

If you do this for 10-15+ times, you won't find unique dialogue, you'll actually for-sure realize she's just repeating dialogue. So the logical next step is:

Tav: "And exactly how much of my gold do you require?"
Toll Collector: "ALL OF IT :byodood:!"

AFAIK she doesn't force you to give more gold at once or anything, she'll be happily collecting it one gold at a time. :allears:

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

And if you pass some speech checks, you can convince her you're the new toll collector and she will give you her gold, causing her to die. I found that out after I reloaded, having tried to fight her legitimately and immediately taking several hundred points of damage I was carrying way too much gold

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Apparently you can also give her everything, lure her into another room/onto a specific spot, then break the floor from underneath her to deal huge damage. After all, gold is heavy.

That comes from steam discussion so take it with a grain of salt if it's true, I haven't reloaded my save to check. But it would not be the wildest mechanic I've seen in this game so far.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Marcade posted:

And if you pass some speech checks, you can convince her you're the new toll collector and she will give you her gold, causing her to die. I found that out after I reloaded, having tried to fight her legitimately and immediately taking several hundred points of damage I was carrying way too much gold

You can also convince her that she should just be the new toll collector and she just gives up on life, a harsh reminder to never make your passion your job :hai:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I love that the writing in Forspoken alters slightly in some sidequests when you've beaten the game and know the plot, like in the Sealed Labyrinths, where you find lore of theReddigs seeking out some ancient powerful weapon, only for it to have been Cuff/Susurrus the whole time, and Susurrus and Frey actually discuss that a little bit. Not much, but they acknowledge it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I thought it was so weird that after revealing that cuff is the sole reason the world is hosed and everyone is dead, and frey beats the poo poo out of him, everything goes back to how it was an hour earlier and frey and cuff are casual frenemies adventuring together again

I don't think I did any of those activities in the postgame so I'm curious what exactly the new dialog is

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I’m playing through Final Fantasy XV, having not played it since release and they made a shitload of changes and it’s a hella fun game.

Anyway there’s a random quest that’s just an ad for Cup Noodles for some reason except it actually comes off pretty funny because of the one guys excitement over Cup Noodles. My man just loves him some Cup Noodles

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

haveblue posted:

I thought it was so weird that after revealing that cuff is the sole reason the world is hosed and everyone is dead, and frey beats the poo poo out of him, everything goes back to how it was an hour earlier and frey and cuff are casual frenemies adventuring together again

I don't think I did any of those activities in the postgame so I'm curious what exactly the new dialog is

It is a bit weird, but I like the idea that this way Frey can make sure that he doesn't do any damage, at least while her sanity lasts, and she can also force him to help her clean up the mess he made in the first place by doing sidequests

An example of the dialog is that when you find the third of the writings of the First Tanta in the sealed labyrinths, the writing mentions the demon that she fought by name as Susurrus and it gets this little exchange: Frey: "Once an rear end in a top hat, always an rear end in a top hat." Susurrus: "Thank you, I'm glad I'm not losing my touch."

I think something that helps the post-game tone is that Susurrus is in no way sorry, simply embarrassed that he got defeated again, so his behaviour hasn't changed. Before he was embarrassed that the Tantas imprisoned him, and now he's embarrassed for the same reason, so his attitude is unchanged, and Frey is refusing to let him get to her for her own sanity, so response with the same caustic attitude she's always had.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 19:36 on Aug 30, 2023

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One of the first arena opponents in Armored Core VI is Optimus Prime

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
A few things in Tunic:
One of the items you can get is a lure, which is just a plush doll version of your character. If you use the bonus room to change your colors the plushie will have the same changes.
Opening the manual is a full pause and also pixilates the screen behind the manual, like you're playing it on an old console on a CRT TV, and you can move the manual around a bit so you can get a better look at it.
Also, just about every puzzle in the game has a fair number of signposts in the world or in the manual. I was able to find like 9/12 secrets on my own without too much trouble, and I'll admit I'm not the brightest light sometimes.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cleretic posted:

I don't think SoP was advertised badly so much as deliberately incompletely. They focused hard on what would become the big memes, and reduced the fact it wasn't entirely that.

Given how I only hear about that game in the context of its big memes, even from people who liked it, that might've actually been the best their advertising team ever performed, they knew what they had and they played to it. They correctly diagnosed that they had Final Fantasy's version of Revengeance, and so used the advertising to shortcut straight to the 'Senator Armstrong memes' part of Revengeance's life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr28q_883a0&t=13s
]

credburn posted:

I don't know about any Stranger of Paradise memes. Actually, I know very little about the game other than its a prequel(?) to FF1 and is a Soulslike(?)

I just share this anecdotally. Not sure what it says about advertising or its reach.

I wouldn't call it a Soulslike, for the simple reason that I generally don't like Soulslikes (except Bloodborne, and SoP doesn't play like Bloodborne really.)

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Wait hold up, is BioEnchanted playing a game released this year?

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Every game BioEncanted plays was released the year they played it

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

You can imagine my shock when they casually mentioned getting a PS5 earlier this month. That's a current gen console!?

Going from playing FantaVision to Forspoken, holy moly!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Mierenneuker posted:

You can imagine my shock when they casually mentioned getting a PS5 earlier this month. That's a current gen console!?

Going from playing FantaVision to Forspoken, holy moly!

I'm looking forward to discovering the large number of PS5 games based off obscure 90s movies

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Agents are GO! posted:

I wouldn't call it a Soulslike, for the simple reason that I generally don't like Soulslikes (except Bloodborne, and SoP doesn't play like Bloodborne really.)

SoP is a Nioh2-like.

The lack of a stamina system and the way the special move system and break gauge works instead give it a very different rhythm even though it has Soulsy 'buttons'.

If you manage your AP well enough most of a first playthrough is a lot easier than Souls. For whatever reason I'm specifically bad at fighting Tiamat and even that is because I try to do it too fast, the 'safe strats' are slow but are absolutely consistent.

I didn't do any of the DLC though because while I liked the game, I didn't like it that much to spend hours grinding Kewl Loot. I at least did every side mission in the whole base game, even some of the ones that are locked behind the final boss or possibly DLC (like the Boss Rush ones).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

You took three days to come up with a one-clip reply proving exactly what I was saying in that reply and the one after it, so thanks, I guess?

Reply to this with the 'bullshit' clip, you'll REALLY show I'm wrong about the game's fanbase being primarily meme-driven that way.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Stranger of Paradise I'm almost certainly sure wasn't advertised with any meme intent beyond what marketing thought would be cool. Do you really think any part of Square-Enix has that much self-awareness?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Stranger Of Paradise was good as heck

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like, the biggest meme games are the ones that are utterly sincere about their concept and doing what they consider to be cool. (and they are correct) Metal Gear, Devil May Cry, Dark Souls and so on.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The expansion to Xenoblade 3 fixes every possible issue with exploration in the base-game by tying every element to a checklist and giving you a reward for doing so. In the base game you can ignore most random enemies and treasure chests because there aren't that many rewards. Here finding every collectible, beating every monster-type, and opening every chest will net you skill points to spend. It's a hell of a lot more elegant than the base game despite being 99% the same.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Stranger of Paradise I'm almost certainly sure wasn't advertised with any meme intent beyond what marketing thought would be cool. Do you really think any part of Square-Enix has that much self-awareness?

It went to 'they definitely know the joke instead of just accidentally being funny' when their Twitter account did a series celebrating a bunch of iconic series jobs, where the fourth image on every single tweet was the exact same image of Jack Garland.

They were deliberately pushing the joke.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like, the biggest meme games are the ones that are utterly sincere about their concept and doing what they consider to be cool. (and they are correct) Metal Gear, Devil May Cry, Dark Souls and so on.

Praise the Sun! therefore Praise the Sun!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Being sincerely wacky and 100% buying into your goofy-rear end setting is vastly superior to being self-aware about how weird everything is.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Being sincerely wacky and 100% buying into your goofy-rear end setting is vastly superior to being self-aware about how weird everything is.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

"Uhh yeah-- that just happened"
-Solid Snake, when a giant robot slams down in front of him from space

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

jokes posted:

- Kept you waiting huh?
Extreme closeup on Revolver Ocelot's eyeroll.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Snake speeding away from enemies on a motorcycle, an enemy uses a jetpack to catch up to him
"Great-- they fly now!?"

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Metal Gear Rex bursts through a wall and roars like a dinosaur.
Snake, slowly backing away, "Nice doggo... Easy boy"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I see someone else played Immortals.

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

jokes posted:

OTACON: Uhhhhhh, yeah, so, THAT just happened.

SNAKE: Happened?

OTACON: Liiiike ya do.

SNAKE: Do?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

jokes posted:

Vic posted:

- Kept you waiting huh?
Extreme closeup on Revolver Ocelot's eyeroll.

jokes posted:

Snake speeding away from enemies on a motorcycle, an enemy uses a jetpack to catch up to him
"Great-- they fly now!?"

Vic posted:

Metal Gear Rex bursts through a wall and roars like a dinosaur.
Snake, slowly backing away, "Nice doggo... Easy boy"

I hate this.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

jokes posted:

"Great-- they fly now!?"

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Ocelotte stands in the middle of the field, reloading very intensely while laughing.

Snake looking at the camera: "get a loadda this guy, am I right?"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Is this all just Avengers 1 dialogue? I do not think I've ever played a video game that sounds like this aside from one level of Uncharted 2 where Nathan Drake is like "Oh come on, how did they get a tank up here?!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Is this all just Avengers 1 dialogue? I do not think I've ever played a video game that sounds like this aside from one level of Uncharted 2 where Nathan Drake is like "Oh come on, how did they get a tank up here?!"

This is exactly how Immortals sounds and it came out two weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ImpAtom posted:

This is exactly how Immortals sounds and it came out two weeks ago.

Oh lol, I thought people were getting mad at Fenyx Rising years after the fact for some reason