Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think MK11 made the decisions it made because having most of your cast stuck as undead revenants was really lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

MK1 website says there's "New and returning" kharakters

But the only one that could be maybe considered new is Liu Kang
Have to imagine there's maybe one or two secrets they're still holding onto

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Sockser posted:

MK1 website says there's "New and returning" kharakters

But the only one that could be maybe considered new is Liu Kang
Have to imagine there's maybe one or two secrets they're still holding onto

Maybe WB forced them to add Cole Young.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Liu kang has actually been in every MK game I think.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
He wasn't playable in Deadly Alliance and only appeared in the intro getting his neck snapped and soul eaten by Shang Tsung.

Although he did appear in Kano's ending, of all people, when Kano is killed by Quan Chi and a Liu Kang's soul from the soulnado shoots into his body.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

DeadButDelicious posted:

He wasn't playable in Deadly Alliance and only appeared in the intro getting his neck snapped and soul eaten by Shang Tsung.

Although he did appear in Kano's ending, of all people, when Kano is killed by Quan Chi and a Liu Kang's soul from the soulnado shoots into his body.

Honestly, it was a huge missed opportunity to not do a story about Kano possessed by Liu Kang. Like, just imagine him trying to convince Sonya that he's actually Liu Kang and not just Kano trying to mess with her.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Rhonne posted:

Honestly, it was a huge missed opportunity to not do a story about Kano possessed by Liu Kang. Like, just imagine him trying to convince Sonya that he's actually Liu Kang and not just Kano trying to mess with her.

Face (Torn) Off.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Liu kang has actually been in every MK game I think.

Sub-Zero is the only kharakter to be in every game
There's a fun fact to keep in your pocket

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

You're right we need a mythology game that isn't Subzero

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Regrettable posted:

Art Lean or no buys. :colbert:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

On one hand, I really like Cassie Cage and Cool Dad Johnny Cage, so it's a bummer to see that stuff go. On the other hand, I do love me some cocky young Johnny, and I've really liked the characterization we've seen so far from the character intros and story clips. And if he does end up paired with another girl in this timeline, that could be a fun story to explore, too. Hopefully, they find a way to work Cassie back in too eventually.

Can't believe Ronda Rousey was so bad that she got Sonya kicked off the main roster.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

PostNouveau posted:

They didn't have much choice but to reboot after the last one. I guess they coulda got cosmic with it or something?

They could've gone back into the past to the era of the original Kung Lao, like they suggested they would in that one ending - still a reboot, but more of a let's-try-this-again from an as-yet-undepicted point in time, rather than Liu Kang trying to reshape the universe. MK has so many super-old/practically immortal characters that they could've kept a ton of the classic characters, even.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Regrettable posted:

I am genuinely surprised that we didn't get Cole Young to be honest.

.. gently caress, maybe that's why Hanzo isn't around

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

ImpAtom posted:

I am genuinely surprised that we didn't get Cole Young to be honest.

.. gently caress, maybe that's why Hanzo isn't around

It's almost as if everybody involved wanted to disown the new movie or something. There was no tie-in marketing for it in MK11 either, was there?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Neutron posted:

It's almost as if everybody involved wanted to disown the new movie or something. There was no tie-in marketing for it in MK11 either, was there?

They were too busy doing tie-ins with the original MK movie.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Mr. Neutron posted:

I think there were some Kollectables or tie-in events with Kyrpt mode for the new MK movie.

But really it was the sort of thing you could easily have missed.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Missed opportunities are an NRS staple at this stage.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I remember seeing it outright mentioned online from someone at NetherRealm that Cole Young would absolutely not be in MK1.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
It was really funny seeing all the theory-crafting about him in the lead up to the movie about who he actually was in canon and then it turned out no he really was just a lovely OC whose power is he puts on a sweater.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

his power is that he stole all the wicker off your grandma's favorite chair

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Do you think Cole Young got Boon to re-think Hsu Hao

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

widespread posted:

Do you think Cole Young got Boon to re-think Hsu Hao

I don't see hao he would have.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The central design principle of the 3D era was trying to remake Kano in a half dozen different ways that were altogether less satisfying than just having Kano.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If you put them all together like Voltron they assemble to create one enormous Black Dragonzord named Omega Kano.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Kano also being the best part of the recent MK movie.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

There ain't no recent mk movie and there never was

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

Kano also being the best part of the recent MK movie.

Nah that movie was mostly mid but they made the best Sub-Zero of any adaptation, he was terrifying and dope as hell

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Rhonne posted:

They were too busy doing tie-ins with the original MK movie.

I have this weird theory that they were going to somehow remake the original MK movie as DLC for MK11. You had Cary Togawa back to chew the scenery in the Aftermath DLC, but the random drops for Raiden/Cage/Sonya actor skins made me think something more could have been planned, especially since Christopher Lambert isn't getting any younger (and sounded rough in the DLC). Out of the main kast, you really only needed Liu Kang and Kitana to have all the speaking characters; the ninjas didn't speak, Goro was CG/animatronic and Kano's actor is dead.

It sounds insane but those skins were such an out of nowhere drop I still feel like something bigger was planned but fell apart; could be w/o Liu Kang/Kitana no point in going on.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Speaking of tie-ins, I'm working on an article about obscure MK trivia and I was looking into MKX: Generations. It was supposed to be the third season of MK Legacy that would have promoted the characters from MKX. It was mainly remembered because there was a leaked casting call that gave us early ideas of who would be in the game, like D'Vorah, Kung Jin, and Erron Black (originally named Salazar). Then complete radio silence.

Turns out that they filmed the whole thing and did the special effects and everything, but for whatever reason, it was never released. Which is kind of bizarre considering how ridiculous the cast was:

- Casper Van Dien as Johnny Cage
- Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as Shang Tsung
- Ray Park as Erron Black
- Lewis Tan as Kung Jin
- Booboo Stewart as Takeda
- Eric Roberts as Bo' Rai Cho

There's a leaked 8 minutes of raw footage out there that also includes live-action Ferra/Torr. It's wild that this was put together and then shoved into a vault.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

ERIC ROBERTS AS BO RAI CHO???

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Gavok posted:

Speaking of tie-ins, I'm working on an article about obscure MK trivia and I was looking into MKX: Generations. It was supposed to be the third season of MK Legacy that would have promoted the characters from MKX. It was mainly remembered because there was a leaked casting call that gave us early ideas of who would be in the game, like D'Vorah, Kung Jin, and Erron Black (originally named Salazar). Then complete radio silence.

Turns out that they filmed the whole thing and did the special effects and everything, but for whatever reason, it was never released. Which is kind of bizarre considering how ridiculous the cast was:

- Casper Van Dien as Johnny Cage
- Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as Shang Tsung
- Ray Park as Erron Black
- Lewis Tan as Kung Jin
- Booboo Stewart as Takeda
- Eric Roberts as Bo' Rai Cho

There's a leaked 8 minutes of raw footage out there that also includes live-action Ferra/Torr. It's wild that this was put together and then shoved into a vault.

What the gently caress, that sounds awesome.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Mover posted:

ERIC ROBERTS AS BO RAI CHO???

I desperately need someone to leak footage of this performance specifically

Crowetron fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 1, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gavok, why did you let me know this amazing thing exists and I will never get to see it?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Here you go.

https://vimeo.com/528304577

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Eric Roberts will not change his hair style for any role, it's amazing.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

Nah that movie was mostly mid but they made the best Sub-Zero of any adaptation, he was terrifying and dope as hell

True, they did a great job with Sub-Zero. I think the guy playing Kano was having a blast though.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I really enjoyed the newer MK movie but I was also drunk when I watched it, that helped. It was fun and I think they’re making a sequel which is awesome.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I thought it got more hate than it deserved, but it was very dumb for them to have a Mortal Kombat movie that did not feature a fighting tournament.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

I thought it got more hate than it deserved, but it was very dumb for them to have a Mortal Kombat movie that did not feature a fighting tournament.

We've had what, two MK games about a fighting tournament?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

C. Everett Koop posted:

We've had what, two MK games about a fighting tournament?

Yeah, but the whole movie was about gathering fighters for the tournament, and then it ended before it started.