Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Don't do it!!!!

I'm not Paige. :razzy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

cat botherer posted:

What is with the UK and being afraid of knives? Everybody has knives and needs knives for many purposes. Just a bonkers thing to focus on.

Like I’ve got a number of knives, and I use them for everything from chopping vegetables, to cutting rope, to defending myself from immigrants arriving in small boats with zombie knives.
After 40 years of going after everything from self-loading rifles to curvy foreign swords to ninja turtles, they still haven't found a way that you can gut all the funding out of deprived urban areas and into towns like Tunbridge Wells without crime and disorder increasing as a result.

Therefore they need increasingly bizarre moral panics to explain that away.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i thought we banned zombie knives like five years ago?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's the great thing about them, they keep coming back!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/adamramsay/status/1696892904600399948?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
That's the point? They met the experts who explained it to them so they dropped their silly policy?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Are there any examples of politicians actually demanding amounts of money commensurate with the grift? Like...several hundred million in exchange for a huge tax dig-out?

These people are such dumb parochial failures, don't be afraid to dream bigger darling

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Tickets to Wembley?!

But you want a 6 billion dollar tax dodge made law... Ok let's do it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can't do that if they can find someone else to bribe for cheaper. You'd need some kind of bribe union to prevent the race to the bottom.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Can't do that if they can find someone else to bribe for cheaper. You'd need some kind of bribe union to prevent the race to the bottom.

But presumably if you're PM you can up your rate a bit. But even evil scum like Boris and Tonty only seem to get a few million here or there. Meanwhile guys like Crispin Odey are absolutely coining it. Eh, they're probably doing fine, I shan't worry

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

"HELP US REVEAL THE TRUTH ABOUT COVID-19"

Big yikes on the source website.

Edit, actually, they're talking about upcoming public inquiry.

Not the loony shite, nevermind.

rocket_Magnet fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 30, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Clickbaity headline, but it's a call for a proper public enquiry into

quote:

Covid-19 has so far led to the deaths of more than 212,000 people in the UK.

Yet there are outstanding questions about the government’s role in the crisis.

Did our leaders take it seriously enough at key moments?
Was the NHS equipped to deal with it?
Could the death toll have been lower?
Were frontline workers and their families failed?
What exactly happened with the handing out of contracts during the crisis?

Which are all reasonable questions.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Guavanaut posted:

Clickbaity headline, but it's a call for a proper public enquiry into

Which are all reasonable questions.

Yeah I decided to click the click bait and saw what they were actually on about. My bad I didn't think open democracy were that way inclined, but poor choice of words for a popup.

To add: why do politicians in this country always have such low barriers for them doing awful poo poo. Only £3k to sell yourself to big tech? Fucks sake.

rocket_Magnet fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 30, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Kinda a misstep on their part too given what 90% of those kind of headlines lead to (the other 10% being a mix of health services trying desperately to counter that and public enquiry stuff), but I guess that's internets news now.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Actually surprised to flick through the telly channels and see that Dan Wooton was on GB News. Are we just pretending all those allegations didn't happen then?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

rocket_Magnet posted:

To add: why do politicians in this country always have such low barriers for them doing awful poo poo. Only £3k to sell yourself to big tech? Fucks sake.

Most of them have a limited shelf-life in Parliament, partly because they're utterly unremarkable politicians and partly because being a politician doesn't in itself get you as rich as these cunts think they should be.
But you can't be too greedy, because if you ask for £50k for something, you can be sure someone less notable - but as ambitious - as you is willing to do the same thing for less.
So you agree to do things for cheap, and try to bargain your way into a future Non-Exec role with one of the corporations bribing you.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Actually surprised to flick through the telly channels and see that Dan Wooton was on GB News. Are we just pretending all those allegations didn't happen then?

All the people whose voices get to be heard are.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1696964687915589778

He's literally called for the death of a politician, but he'll still be invited onto GBNews/TalkTV etc

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 30, 2023

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Lol probably ought to have his OBE revoked for calling for the death of a British politician

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Microplastics posted:

Lol probably ought to have his OBE revoked for calling for the death of a British politician

Lets not throw out the baby with the bathwater

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'm honestly surprised he was banned from twitter

Edit: Oh he was just suspended. I guess calling for murder isn't enough to get you banned.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Khan deserves to lose office severely.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Why's that, then?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

kingturnip posted:

Why's that, then?

he won't banish the Saudi princes from London.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

huh?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nonsense posted:

he won't banish the Saudi princes from London.

Can the mayor do that?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I've huffed nine million farts (half my own) and have come to the conclusion that he can.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

OwlFancier posted:

Obviously you need to take the ladders apart and turn them into a deconstructed piece of wall art with decals of bootprints on them, then sell them for a thousand pounds, as the television has taught me is the way to succeed in britain.

i cannot believe the people who buy that shite are real

also i meant to post that in the chat thread :corsair:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
one time'n i watched it and they made lamps out of a pair of shitey old ice skates and to my untrained eye it looked like a pair of shitey old ice skates with upright light fittings stuck in them

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

great chat tonite lads!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Lunar Suite posted:

I paid 120£ for a one-off Office 2020 License (Office Home and Student) because I refuse to participate in Software-as-a-Service, out of principle. I got Word, Excel and Powerpoint; Win10 comes with a mail client built in.

I mean, does that one off cost come with what's essentially 6TB of cloud storage?

I didn't really put much stock in non physical storage until I nearly lost all of my photos on a HDD crash.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm more or less paying for the cloud storage and the office software is just a bonus.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Kin posted:

I mean, does that one off cost come with what's essentially 6TB of cloud storage?

I didn't really put much stock in non physical storage until I nearly lost all of my photos on a HDD crash.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm more or less paying for the cloud storage and the office software is just a bonus.

I have 3 backup extHDDs. Having been through the experience of having internet cut off in the country I was living in several times - once because of the revolution and twice because the transmediterranean data cables were ripped up by trawlers - I do not trust the cloud. Even just a few weeks ago, our town was completely cut off from internet and mobile phone services (regardless of providers or whether it was landlines or fibres) because an important box of tricks about 3 miles away got flooded.

Also just checked someone is desperately trying to hack one of my email accounts (the one I use for this particular laptop) had 8 single use codes generated and emailed to the recovery account just today. Seems to be no way to stop them. On the one hand luckily it is a boring email account that has just one newspaper sub on it, but unluckily it is the one microsoft associates with this laptop so I'm not sure if it is changeable (beyond my skills set LOL). Tried setting up another full admin one on this laptop but no joy. Made a completely new one for the new laptop.

The point of that waffle above being what if someone hacked your cloud account?

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 31, 2023

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
sadiq khan deserves to lose to a giant mecha robot driven by jeremy corbyn with giant laser beams that nationalise things

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I have 3 backup extHDDs. Having been through the experience of having internet cut off in the country I was living in several times - once because of the revolution and twice because the transmediterranean data cables were ripped up by trawlers - I do not trust the cloud.
At some point I hope to try and get an external raid1 array, (so if a drive fails, everything isn't completely gone), but I'm not sure such a thing exists or is affordable for the likes of me.

It would be nice to know I could make my data more secure in case of a hardware failure, because I have files I've been transferring from system to system for the last 30 odd years and at some point it'd be nice to be able to get everything into some kind of organised structure.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sounds like the sort of thing that a NAS would be best for.

And then you can get an external drive for the NAS to back up to.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah ‘external’ RAID is achieved with a NAS (or if you want something even less technical, a DAS which connects over USB instead) box with more than one drive in it, you just buy the enclosure then just 2 drives of your desired size and you’re away.

You can buy off-the-shelf all in one units that already have 2 drives in which can be configured for RAID 1, but they’re questionably useful since if one of the drives does die you’d have to shuck it to replace the dead one which is a bunch of extra work.

I have a 4-bay QNAP box I replaced a ragtag collection of other networked hard drives with recently and it’s been pretty simple to maintain so far, and I have two empty bays I can throw more discs into as I need it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

At some point I hope to try and get an external raid1 array, (so if a drive fails, everything isn't completely gone), but I'm not sure such a thing exists or is affordable for the likes of me.

It would be nice to know I could make my data more secure in case of a hardware failure, because I have files I've been transferring from system to system for the last 30 odd years and at some point it'd be nice to be able to get everything into some kind of organised structure.

I have three exthdds (2TB x 3) and written bat files to copy the folders (desktop, documents, music, videos, emails, program data etc). I don't think there's any point copying system files - I don't have any special system set ups) plus mirror my films,music and 'deep archive' stuff (20 year old data & program files from my phud lots of tar.gz files) that I don't keep on my laptop as I'll probably never open them again. I did only have 2 but one had a wobbly so I thought I better get a 3rd as I didn't know why it wobbled though I suspect it was a combo of age and being pretty permanently attached to the 'always on' port on the laptop. Had to reformat it but it's ok again now but is third line backup now.
I do direct copies of files as I have never successfully restored anything from the formal backup utilities in nearly 40 years of computing also if I'm switching between computers it's much easier.
Also if I go away I take one with me in case my flat burns down or I get burgled for my extensive collection of ancient emails and films downloaded in 2008-10 while I'm away!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Aug 31, 2023

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/lbc/status/1697111983378632838?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A year of volunteering doing hospital laundry in exchange for free further education or a mortgage credit, maybe.

Whatever horseshit slops out of this think tank, no.

National service is to boomers as I Love the 80s is to millennials, something that only ever happened in the background for them but they're convinced it was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Amazing how consistently people who’ve had literally everything handed to them on a plate think that everyone else needs to earn the right to just about surviving a happy life