Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Ojjeorago posted:

Nabriales is pretty reliable first timers, no one wants to touch balls any more than they have to.

Every time I get this in roulette there is some griefer using the lb right before the tear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I will forever have trauma from being stuck on that instance and needing goon help to get through it.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

you can kill the tear easily enough without a dps lb

but you're gambling on the tanks actually having two braincells to rub together between them and the dps paying enough attention to spot your ATTACK THIS marker

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

iPodschun posted:

50% and 25% from what I remember but it's been a while since I've done LotA

My most memorable LotA run, in a good way, was when I queued for Alliance Raid Roulette about 25 minutes before a maintenance. We all load in, I say "lota speedrun time" and while nobody responded, they all got the message. Nobody messed around, not even on Atomos lanes, and everyone nailed their rotations. I think Thanatos died during alliance A's turn, Behemoth didn't get close to a second meteor, and Phlegathon didn't even get to cast the second Ancient Flare. I think we got out of there in 16 minutes with plenty of time to spare before servers went down.
XIV players are super weak to suggestion like this

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Cleretic posted:

My angle for Extremes in the mentor roulette (which I haven't done since Shadowbringers but whatever) is to do the following:
1: Tell people that Party Finder exists and is better for the thing they're doing. This sometimes involves clearing up misconceptions about Party Finder (some people seem to think it's only for unsynced) or walking them through where it is.
2. ...And then say that I'm still gonna do my best to help them through, usually starting off by giving a quick primer on what we're dealing with, like 'this is basically the same but with extra tricks', or 'now you can fall off the boat', or 'I warn you, this one's tough'.
3. Stay around for 15 minutes. Not only is that when the vote abandon opens up, but 15 minutes is a good time window for everyone to see how well this is gonna go; it's long enough for it to be really clear when we're making no progress. (It's also possible someone would quit in that time, in which case it's probably time to call it anyway.)
4. Keep going if they're clearly making progress; otherwise, throw out the vote abandon. It usually passes if things are going so badly that I'm throwing that out.

Usually when you get an Extreme in mentor roulette, it's because a decent amount of the group is here in ARR and has literally no idea what an Extreme is, or the best way to prepare for one. So teaching them how to do that is usually very welcome... especially once Ramuh EX teaches them the hard way. Usually Titan, Leviathan and Ifrit were easily doable, while King Mog, Ramuh and Shiva were a total wash (I never got Garuda often enough to judge). Rathalos is a special weirdo case that could go any way, people seem to not consider Rathalos a 'real' Extreme and so treat him differently.

If you get any non-Rathalos Extreme after ARR, I hope you either have thick skin or a quick blacklist reflex, and a willingness to fill in reports, because those people have heard the lessons people got from ARR Extremes, deliberately refused to learn them, and will direct every ounce of rage they have at the nearest mentor.

EDIT: And yeah, even a failed ARR Extreme was more welcome than one of the lower-tier ARR dungeons. Sometimes there's not even something to teach there, it's just a twenty-minute session of babysitting; what are you gonna teach someone doing Brayflox once it's clear the tank knows tank stance and the healer knows to use Cure II?

Noted. Gonna report the poo poo out of mentors

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Oneiros posted:

i've also had two regular duty failures; the lv89 msq trial and the turtle guildhest

People bail on that one? I love it, it's great. I've had more issues with Crown of the Immaculate, people seem to gently caress the phase 2 meter up almost as much as they gently caress up the Shinryu tidal wave.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

in approaching 1300 bkk roulettes (i started logging when i hit the 1k achievement) i've literally never seen someone get saltier at the mentors than i myself do. or even close to how mad i get at other mentors, for that matter. i have and will report mentors for immediately ditching ex trials and will call them out as the cowardly worms they are. as is typically the case in ffxiv you mostly just run into stoney silence.

there are occasions where you run into sprouts that just will not or can not follow instructions and basically make the entire exercise moot (usually tanks, since hard content is the only time they actually have to pay attention to anything and that's a completely novel experience for them) but they've been very rare in my experience.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

People bail on that one? I love it, it's great. I've had more issues with Crown of the Immaculate, people seem to gently caress the phase 2 meter up almost as much as they gently caress up the Shinryu tidal wave.

i've had more vote abandons (or effectively that when the entire party just leaves) on the 89 trial than every other sub-savage duty i've ever run combined

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

what is a bkk roulette

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

what is a bkk roulette

mentor, aka burger king kid (you get a little crown icon next to your name)

combat mentors who cleared every sub-savage duty in the game (excepting current expansion extreme trials, deep dungeons, variant dungeons, and whatever you call eureka/bozja stuff) get a roulette that can drop them in any eligible duty in the game a guildhest

basically it's as if you selected every duty finder roulette except pvp, plus most of the extreme trials

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 31, 2023

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
"Guys I signed up as a kindergartener and those kids don't even follow instructions" - average mentor

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

well if you're talking about people queuing for extremes then they likely have tens if not a hundred+ hours in the game so "sprout" is doing a bit of a disservice there

but arr and to some extent hw have been so gutted over the years that stepping into "hard" content is something of a major shock to the "new" player

but since the combat mechanics have been reduced to a pitiful shadow of their former glory and the boss mechanics haven't been adjusted to contemporary standards arr and hw extremes are actually hilariously easy as long as you don't roll a party full of crayon eaters

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Aug 31, 2023

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

DoW/DoM mentor: harrowing experience giving vietnam flashbacks
DoH/DoL mentor: silly hammer crown, occasional PMs from people earnestly asking about content from eight years ago :shobon:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Kazinsal posted:

I don't bail, and I don't even hate that fight, but I have a grudge match against it because it's the only fights in content I regularly do that I just.... can't understand for some ungodly reason. It's not hard! Nothing about it is weird in the least! But I just eat poo poo constantly on it. In fact the last time I did it, which was a month ago now for my alt's msq progression, it was the biggest gong show I've seen in awhile.

People were just dying left and right. Everybody. Me, the tanks, the healers, the other dps, nobody was spared. After my 4th death I was like hey stop rezzing me for a minute just so I could pull up a wiki guide and go oh red is x, green is y before telling them to rez me when they could. There was a point where everybody had died but me, a smn and with my last breath I swiftcast rez'd a healer who then lb3'd and we got back into it.

This happened a loving 2nd time. Exact same thing, everyone dead, I swiftcast rez'd a healer, they lb3'd. 2 healer lb3's, same fight. We didn't wipe though! Just killed her over 1 long 15 or 20 minute fight.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised the Nier raids are so unpopular, they didn't seem too crazy when I ran them. Like they're weird but not in a way that makes them especially difficult. I probably died less to them than I died to Monastery or Dun Scaith.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm surprised the Nier raids are so unpopular, they didn't seem too crazy when I ran them. Like they're weird but not in a way that makes them especially difficult. I probably died less to them than I died to Monastery or Dun Scaith.

they're not really that hard at all, except maybe red girl since that can require a lot of movement, but some of the mechanics are more difficult to grok without someone explaining them to you and the higher level you get the more you run into players who just can not press their damage buttons and so the bosses can drag on a bit

shb is currently the level where players have most of their kit (and therefore don't actually use most of it) but also the modern encounter design was firmly established so poo poo will actually kill you resulting in a perfect storm of incompetence and fights that actually expect you to react to things

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

The Nier raids are a lot of fun, but the bosses in them feel like they have 20-25% more HP than they should have. They always trend towards longer instances than the rest of the alliance raids.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

the crystal tower raids got a friend of mine back into the game because he was so bored with the 2.0 content being basically autopilot poo poo even when you're going through it, but even LotA making you have to pay attention to the ground and the icons above your head is more than most normal WoW raid content that it was like, oh poo poo, this is what the game is really like

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Kazinsal posted:

the crystal tower raids got a friend of mine back into the game because he was so bored with the 2.0 content being basically autopilot poo poo even when you're going through it, but even LotA making you have to pay attention to the ground and the icons above your head is more than most normal WoW raid content that it was like, oh poo poo, this is what the game is really like

I think Bowl of Embers(Hard) is where specifically the boss fights start being "you have to look for indicators other than just the orange AOE markers" and that's the first big shift.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

The Nier raids are a lot of fun, but the bosses in them feel like they have 20-25% more HP than they should have. They always trend towards longer instances than the rest of the alliance raids.

I wish this was the norm, I tend to consider cutting off mechanics a failure to see and do a fun thing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

People get a little stir crazy after hours

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Runa posted:

People get a little stir crazy after hours

sending good vibes to the guy looking for the '97 Tacoma

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

poking party finder on a friday night and it's 99% gay hrothgar goth nightclubs, then casually telling a mate what server/ward/plot to go visit

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the biggest mistake of the mentor system was giving rewards for it

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I don't even get why the mentor roulette mount is so coveted. Does it look amazing in motion, or is it just the usual "this took a billion years to earn so it's extra-special" thing?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

It's the latter, same as with the jam toast. Don't @ me.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i assume mostly because it's "rare" (read: i sunk a lot of time into this). personally i think it's ugly as gently caress

i'm more interested in the low-effort/time commitment ex runs and all the oddball duties it throws me into when i'm lucky enough to avoid guildhests, tbh

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tekopo posted:

jam toast looks so stupid that it's up there on my mount tier list

ofc if I wanted to fly around on a rectangular prism I'd either use the bed or Proto-Ozma so I never use it even though I farmed every loving card

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Tekopo posted:

Shuffle or Boogie, bitch

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Proto-ozma is an awesome mount and I'm glad I went through Eureka for it, especially BA since BA rules.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

My first mentor roulette was the one-sided MSQ fight against Johnny Two-Shields that you do before Castrum and Prae, and that was hilariously delightful. You can't fail at "Kill him until he dies from it."

My third roulette was Leviathan EX, with people who aggressively refused to learn any of the mechanics to the point I was wondering if they were a troll party.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
BA was especially fun as a warrior chaining double edge but I think they nerfed that a little.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Why waste time getting the ugly mentor horse when you could have put that time towards getting a Big Fish title.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Thundarr posted:

Why waste time getting the ugly mentor horse when you could have put that time towards getting a Big Fish title.

Look, Sea Butterfly is being an rear end in a top hat and Stethacanthus' requirements are really strict!

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I tend to quit out of Depression Tower. I don't need to spend any additional time in a grey haze

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Maxwell Lord posted:

They're in an unpleasant middle ground where they're too hard for CT strippers but too easy for orbonne enthusiasts so they please very few.

Also personally, I find all 3 to be really aesthetically bland and displeasing to look at.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Thundarr posted:

Because fishing hates you.

I'm mostly convinced that Fishing and map dungeon RNG are how the devs take out their frustrations on us.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I usually give most stuff from Mentor a fair shake, but Prae’s the one that I’m always 50/50 on just eating the deserter timeout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

i like the nier raids but every boss could probably use about 10% less health. not for difficulty reasons but just because they all feel like they have to repeat a few of their 'filler' attacks a few too many times.