Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

RealityWarCriminal posted:

one year ago;

The Biden administration said Tuesday that it is rolling out the newest Covid-19 booster and anticipates that going forward, Americans can expect to get annual updates to the shot just like they do for the flu vaccine.

am I dream or was part of the early COVID discourse that you'd be shouted down for being antivax if you mentioned to likelyhood of boosters being necessary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DominoKitten posted:

Speaking of CR Cubes and PC fans, I recently ran across some...very swank computer fan based CR kits at: https://www.cleanairkits.com/ and am sorely tempted to start replacing our duct taped behemoths with these sleeker ones. They cost a lot more upfront than duct taping a cube to a box fan, but they claim to "match CR Box capacities at 1/5 noise, 1/5 power, and half the footprint." Because they use so little electricity, you can even run them for hours off of a lithium power bank or a cigarette lighter adapter in your car or your laptop. And they've got a tiny double barrel personal HEPA that they say is super quiet and also will run on a power bank.

At that point you need to cross-shop with regular off the shelf hepa filters on price.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Thanks everyone for all the replies, I learned stuff today.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Koirhor posted:

if things were that bad someone would do something

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

bedpan posted:

am I dream or was part of the early COVID discourse that you'd be shouted down for being antivax if you mentioned to likelyhood of boosters being necessary?

Can't really remember. Decided to ctrl-f my covid journal for the first mentions of "anti-vax" and was surprised to see my first entry with it is quoting a goon in November of 2020 who said,

quote:

We both expect that Trump is going to go full anti-vax after he's dragged out of office as "revenge" against Pfizer and Moderna for "hiding" the results of their trials until after the election and making him lose, which is just going to embolden the anti-vax people. "It's not that bad, everyone around me that got it lived, and you will to, and you'll be stronger than someone who was vaccinated because it's REAL IMMUNITY." Can see the tweet now.

Kinda funny that didn't exactly pan out. I didn't make a note of who posted that, sorry unknown goon.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

At that point you need to cross-shop with regular off the shelf hepa filters on price.

I think you can get a popular commercial HEPA filter for cheaper, but you wouldn't be able to run it on a battery power bank, like say, if you wanted to give your kid something they could tuck under their desk at school, or chuck into the backseat of a car on a road trip. You could get the much recommended Conway Airmega AP-1512HH ($190.58 on Amazon with filters, list price $229.99) cheaper than, say, the XL Luggable (222.00, filters sold separate). But the Conway has a CADR of 296 CMH on the highest setting, uses 77 watts, and produces 58 dBa (source, source). The XL Luggable has a CADR of 550 CMH, uses 10.8 W, and produces 37.3 dBA. So it uses less electricity and is quieter. I don't know how the filtering efficiency would shake out between the Luggable having higher CADR but the Conway having better filtration. The Conway does have an auto mode, which is GREAT if your air filtering concern is smoke or other particulates...less useful if you're trying to use it as COVID prophylactic.

If price is the main concern, duct tape and furnace filters and a box fan it is. And somebody crafty could probably make their own computer fan CR for sure.

One nice thing about most of their options that don't have LEDs in the fans are there's no annoying LEDs to cover up for bedroom usage, too. I've got electrical tape over the Conway interface in my room.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

bedpan posted:

yes, you absolutely got torn up for it. even though it was really obvious. see also: that there would be breakthrough infections.

the second that vaccines were available, people started pretending that covid wasn't a killer. and it really, really sucks.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

yeah when the earliest covid vaccine trials were happening, the researchers involved all made a point of saying "we don't think this will prevent covid but we do expect it to reduce the likelihood of severe disease" and by the time they had been rolled out the messaging on them had gotten so twisted that it was treated as gospel that not only would getting vaccinated straight up prevent you from dying of covid, it would guarantee you would never get or pass on covid and in fact it would be so effective that if everyone got vaccinated it would make covid immediately cease to exist and god help you if you questioned any of that.

I'm not anti vax, I got vaccinated against covid as soon as I was possibly able, they've done a lot of good in reducing the toll of covid from what it might theoretically have been, but it would have been a lot better if expectations had been managed better to fit something resembling reality

but then we wouldn't be able to Open Biden so lmao that was never gonna happen

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

yes, you absolutely got torn up for it. even though it was really obvious. see also: that there would be breakthrough infections.

the second that vaccines were available, people started pretending that covid wasn't a killer. and it really, really sucks.

Reinfections was also a big one. The amount of time discussing it kinda pisses me off, when I look at the data from the first year (which wasn't public then):

Pink is 1st reinfection.
Cyan is 2nd reinfection or more.

Obviously these are very small numbers compared to 1st infections, but seeing these so quickly when it was almost impossible to have encountered COVID twice (even in hospitals, when people still gave a gently caress), was an important nugget of information.

Edit: Just checked to see if my recollection was fair and this was the state of reinfection tracking in 2020 (check the tweet date, it was fresh data at the time):
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1308727014246019073

Pingui has issued a correction as of 02:51 on Aug 31, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DominoKitten posted:

I think you can get a popular commercial HEPA filter for cheaper, but you wouldn't be able to run it on a battery power bank, like say, if you wanted to give your kid something they could tuck under their desk at school, or chuck into the backseat of a car on a road trip. You could get the much recommended Conway Airmega AP-1512HH ($190.58 on Amazon with filters, list price $229.99) cheaper than, say, the XL Luggable (222.00, filters sold separate). But the Conway has a CADR of 296 CMH on the highest setting, uses 77 watts, and produces 58 dBa (source, source). The XL Luggable has a CADR of 550 CMH, uses 10.8 W, and produces 37.3 dBA. So it uses less electricity and is quieter. I don't know how the filtering efficiency would shake out between the Luggable having higher CADR but the Conway having better filtration. The Conway does have an auto mode, which is GREAT if your air filtering concern is smoke or other particulates...less useful if you're trying to use it as COVID prophylactic.

If price is the main concern, duct tape and furnace filters and a box fan it is. And somebody crafty could probably make their own computer fan CR for sure.

One nice thing about most of their options that don't have LEDs in the fans are there's no annoying LEDs to cover up for bedroom usage, too. I've got electrical tape over the Conway interface in my room.

The Coway Airmega is a HEPA filter (99.97% removal of 0.3um particles), the XL Luggable is a MERV 13 (you could theoretically put whatever furnace filter you want on there but the stated performance is for a Filtrete MPR1900+, which is rated as a MERV 13). MERV 13 is a good filter and this is not to knock Corsi boxes generally, but when you're shelling out dollars (like $250) that could get you a very good HEPA filter, or something like five traditional CR boxes each with a higher CFM than this one fancy one due to filter area, it's worth considering the math:

MERV 13 filtration performance (from https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality-iaq/what-merv-rating)
0.30-1.0um - at least 50%
1.0-3.0um - at least 85%
3.0-10.0um - at least 90%

The problem is that CADR is only an apples to apples comparison when applied to a certain particle size (the three typical ratings air purifiers get will be against dust, pollen, and smoke, and nobody does a CADR test for light respiratory aerosols. I don't know who these guys selling these things are, but when you are trying to get people to buy a $250 product using about a $150 BOM and home assembly and don't correctly state your filter media performance in your own FAQ, and you're representing a combined smoke/dust/pollen CADR as your "virusCADR" when you should be using your smoke value with a big loving disclaimer that the AHAM test doesn't actually represent light virus-bearing aerosols it's just the closest standardized approximate, that's pretty :goofy:

btw I bought a product from smartairfilters.com and it turned out to be garbage; they've also been fingered for misrepresenting the CADR of their own products when independently verified. I would just avoid them both for their products and statements on their website.

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 03:14 on Aug 31, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I have some similar takes on people like FloMask who sell a product ostensibly designed to compete with N95s who get really salty when called out that their filters don't work in bench tests. There are a lot of good intentioned people out there, and an equal number of grifting poo poo-bags looking to make a quick buck.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

hailthefish posted:

yeah when the earliest covid vaccine trials were happening, the researchers involved all made a point of saying "we don't think this will prevent covid but we do expect it to reduce the likelihood of severe disease" and by the time they had been rolled out the messaging on them had gotten so twisted that it was treated as gospel that not only would getting vaccinated straight up prevent you from dying of covid, it would guarantee you would never get or pass on covid and in fact it would be so effective that if everyone got vaccinated it would make covid immediately cease to exist and god help you if you questioned any of that.

impossible to say how we got to that point

this was March 30 2021. vaccines had been in arms for months

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

The Oldest Man posted:

btw I bought a product from smartairfilters.com and it turned out to be garbage; they've also been fingered for misrepresenting the CADR of their own products when independently verified. I would just avoid them both for their products and statements on their website.

Is there a source for this?

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Platystemon posted:

COVID response confounds SARS expert

Aug 24, 2023

Buy this doctor an account.

yeah sounds about right

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

tenderjerk posted:

wow thank you speng31b for continuing to protect these forums from jokes

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

The Oldest Man posted:

I have some similar takes on people like FloMask who sell a product ostensibly designed to compete with N95s who get really salty when called out that their filters don't work in bench tests. There are a lot of good intentioned people out there, and an equal number of grifting poo poo-bags looking to make a quick buck.

Flo Mask "pro filters" (adult only) are FFP2 certified. If they can pass FFP2, then N95 shouldn't be a problem. edit: apparently they're not getting NIOSH certification anytime soon due to a backlog.

https://twitter.com/masknerd/status/1436752725660913666?lang=en

https://twitter.com/NgoTheWorld/status/1673699271097597952

Fansy has issued a correction as of 03:54 on Aug 31, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Fansy posted:

Flo Mask pro filters are FFP2 certified. If they can pass FFP2, then N95 shouldn't be a problem. edit: apparently they're not getting NIOSH certification anytime soon due to a backlog.

https://twitter.com/masknerd/status/1436752725660913666?lang=en

https://twitter.com/NgoTheWorld/status/1673699271097597952

Sorry, that was a brain fart. I was thinking of AirPop, specifically this loving thing https://airpophealth.com/products/active-smart-mask-halo-sensor

FloMask as far as I know has performed pretty well in tests

PerniciousKnid posted:

Is there a source for this?

I can't find the original test tweet from a year and a half ago, but it looks like they actually took the CADR claim off their website and replaced it with this:

quote:

- Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR): Blast capacity of air flow at 1200 cubic feet per minute (CFM) is beyond the CADR Testing protocol in 1000 sq ft. rooms where the CADR is only tested to 450 CFM. For something as powerful as the Blast we suggest using Air Changes per Hour (ACH) to determine efficacy.

IIRC they were claiming a CADR of something like 800 CFM (smoke) and the Blast's actual performance is ~500 according to https://twitter.com/marwa_zaatari/status/1429629474878988288?s=20

e: it also looks like Smart Air has done a revision on all their designs and the "mkii" versions look substantially different than what they were selling in 2021, so ymmv.

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 04:34 on Aug 31, 2023

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

The Coway Airmega is a HEPA filter (99.97% removal of 0.3um particles), the XL Luggable is a MERV 13 (you could theoretically put whatever furnace filter you want on there but the stated performance is for a Filtrete MPR1900+, which is rated as a MERV 13). MERV 13 is a good filter and this is not to knock Corsi boxes generally, but when you're shelling out dollars (like $250) that could get you a very good HEPA filter, or something like five traditional CR boxes each with a higher CFM than this one fancy one due to filter area, it's worth considering the math:

MERV 13 filtration performance (from https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality-iaq/what-merv-rating)
0.30-1.0um - at least 50%
1.0-3.0um - at least 85%
3.0-10.0um - at least 90%

The problem is that CADR is only an apples to apples comparison when applied to a certain particle size (the three typical ratings air purifiers get will be against dust, pollen, and smoke, and nobody does a CADR test for light respiratory aerosols. I don't know who these guys selling these things are, but when you are trying to get people to buy a $250 product using about a $150 BOM and home assembly and don't correctly state your filter media performance in your own FAQ, and you're representing a combined smoke/dust/pollen CADR as your "virusCADR" when you should be using your smoke value with a big loving disclaimer that the AHAM test doesn't actually represent light virus-bearing aerosols it's just the closest standardized approximate, that's pretty :goofy:

Good to know re: smartairfilters.com, I wasn't able to get some of those numbers from the Amazon.com page so was just rooting around for them.

I don't want to protest any of your good points, but I do feel like they have a FAQ that is pretty explicit about what their various numbers mean and don't mean and what third party testing has been done to which standard and also that the weirdo virusCADR isn't some thing they specifically came up with but theoretically from some HVAC industry group ASHRAE, Standard 241 which I would love to double check more except uh apparently it's $100 to get the PDF for it so I guess I won't?

quote:

One sample each of Luggable 5-Arctic, Luggable 5-SickleFlow, and Luggable XL were tested by Intertek for AHAM AC-1 CADR, AC-2 Noise & Power:

Luggable 5-Arctic: DUST 189 cfm
Luggable 5-SickleFlow: SMOKE 170, DUST 218, POLLEN 236 cfm
Luggable XL: SMOKE 259, DUST 323, POLLEN 370 cfm
Exhalaron: DUST 70 cfm

ASHRAE 241 7.3.2.1 https://t.co/6CVIYhciNx specifies reducing these to a single infectious aerosol CADR via the formula:
VirusCADR = .3*SMOKE + .3*DUST + .4*POLLEN

For our samples so far this average comes out the same as the DUST measurement. Where we have SMOKE, DUST, & POLLEN results we display the VirusCADR, where we have DUST only we display that. Studies of exhaled viral aerosols also show a particulate distribution closest to AHAM DUST.

Full AHAM Verified requires testing 3 samples with Smoke, Dust & Pollen costing ~$5k per model. We have too many models to afford that yet on all. But for optimal fan to filter-area ratios (1 SickleFlow per 1 sq ft of Filtrete 1900), we can extrapolate amongst related models.

Our early development procedures and test results have been publicly shared and documented in this blog:

https://thewiss.blogspot.com/2022/11/at-home-cadr-testing-for-air-cleaner.html

and this Twitter thread compilation:

https://twitter.com/robwiss/status/1594198776159252480?s=20&t=SMK6vguFmoOqlDKWfEJJTA

Rob's elaborate characterization process mimics AHAM laboratory particle detection procedures but uses nebulized salt. He has calibrated his setup against CADR measurements of commercial purifiers by independent laboratories and found agreement, though the results seem to skew closer to AHAM POLLEN than AHAM DUST.

Our stated capacities are also consistent with simpler estimates adding the raw CFM airflow specifications of the bundled fans and multiplying by MERV13's measured 77% viral aerosol filtration efficiency.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington state's weekly wastewater update, cobbled together from the state's downloadable excel report and supplemented with scaled National Wastewater Surveillance System (NWSS) data when available. Solid lines are from WADoH data and white diamond dots applied to scale are from most recent CDC/NWSS data (if available).

The WADoH dashboard graphs using a different tableset than what they provide via the download link. I'm not entirely sure why other than the graph they show is attached to the table (right-click their Power BI graph to view) is after they take the Excel data and calculate the 7-day rolling average. Sometimes this appears quite different.

I've distributed 30 sewersheds across 5 charts grouped by approximate geographical region then alphabetized by county. See the tables below each image for definitions of WADoH IDs, Date last sampled, Trend (based on change between the averages of the two most recent weeks measured), and Service Area for city names/regions.

Northwest Washington

pre:
Northwest Washington
County:		ID:	Date:	Trend:	Service Area:
Island		OH	Aug-18	UP	Oak Harbor
Jefferson	PT	Aug-16	DOWN	Port Townsend
Mason		HP	Aug-20	DOWN	Rustlewood, Shelton
Whatcom		LYN	Aug-17	STEADY	Lynden
King + Snohomish

pre:
King + Snohomish
King		BWT	Aug-20	UP	Bothell, Mill Creek, Redmond, Woodinville, Overflow from King County South and West Point Treatment Plants
King		KCS	Aug-20	UP	Auburn, Bellevue, Issaquah, Kent, Renton, Sammamish
King		WSPT	Aug-20	STEADY	Seattle, Shoreline, north King County, north Lake Wash., parts of south Snohomish
Snohomish	APP	Aug-07	STEADY	Lynnwood
Snohomish	ARL	Aug-22	UP	Arlington
Snohomish	EVR	Aug-20	UP	Everett
Snohomish	STAN	Aug-21	UP	Stanwood
Southwest Washington

pre:
Southwest Washington
Clark		MRPK	Aug-21	DOWN	Vancouver
Clark		SNCK	Aug-21	DOWN	Battle Ground, Ridgefield
Clark		VWS	Aug-21	STEADY	Vancouver Westside
Pierce		CC	Aug-18	UP	Browns Point, Dash Point, Dupont, Fife, Fife Heights, Frederickson, Graham, Lakewood, Milton, Orting, Parkland, South Hill, Spanaway, University Place
Pierce		PUY	Aug-17	STEADY	Puyallup
Thurston	LOTT	Aug-16	UP	Lacey, Olympia, Tumwater
Thurston	NISQ	Aug-17	UP	Nisqually
Central Washington

pre:
Central Washington
Benton		KEN	Aug-07	STEADY	Kennewick
Benton		WRCH	Aug-17	STEADY	West Richland
Chelan		WWTP	Aug-17	UP	Wenatchee
Grant		EPH	Aug-16	DOWN	Ephrata
Kittitas	ELL	Aug-17	UP	Ellensburg
Okanogan	BRW	Aug-17	STEADY	Brewster
Yakima		YAK	Aug-17	UP	Yakima
Eastern Washington

pre:
Eastern Washington
Franklin	PAS	Aug-18	DOWN	Pasco
Spokane		RP	Aug-18	STEADY	Spokane
Spokane		SPK	Aug-18	DOWN	Spokane Valley
Walla Walla	WALLA	Aug-17	UP	Walla Walla
Whitman		PLM	Jul-28	UP	Pullman
[edit] Finally went ahead and made an Imgur account so the files won't disappear so quickly. Image links have been updated and the full list of them can be found here: https://imgur.com/a/OkylkCA

Zantie has issued a correction as of 22:46 on Aug 31, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DominoKitten posted:

Good to know re: smartairfilters.com, I wasn't able to get some of those numbers from the Amazon.com page so was just rooting around for them.

I don't want to protest any of your good points, but I do feel like they have a FAQ that is pretty explicit about what their various numbers mean and don't mean and what third party testing has been done to which standard and also that the weirdo virusCADR isn't some thing they specifically came up with but theoretically from some HVAC industry group ASHRAE, Standard 241 which I would love to double check more except uh apparently it's $100 to get the PDF for it so I guess I won't?

Well the fact that the guy is identifying himself and publicly documenting his test procedure makes me feel like it's less likely he's grifting this at least.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Anyway! Long COVID bon mot time. A Swedish newspaper asked readers:

quote:

How has your life changed after the corona pandemic? Have you had any symptoms or problems that you still live with today? Hundreds contacted SVT and told them, read what they wrote here.

And shut down the comments within four hours after receiving a deluge; there is page upon page of people ascribing this or that to their COVID infection, everything from the annoying

quote:

Pork, strawberries and eggs smell like jokes since I had covid 5/12-2020. Even coffee tastes and smells terrible. Cucumber smells like nail polish.

To being bedridden or losing their livelihoods. Some stray comments attribute after effects to the vaccine.

For anyone reading unfamiliar with first year COVID lore, the country Sweden was held up as a model of how to reasonably deal with the coronavirus by COVID minimizers because unlike similarly resourced countries it decided it was just going to let the virus sweep through more or less, though even Sweden did do some restrictions the minimizers don't think much about ("The public health authorities banned gatherings of over 50 people, closed high schools and universities, and advised people to maintain a safe distance.") and many people voluntarily socially distanced, though masking wasn't really a thing. Sweden also used One Weird Trick of just...letting elderly people in nursing homes die without anything more than palliative care, which accounted for around half of Sweden's deaths, which happened at a higher rate than any comparable country. The whole situation even got a name: The Swedish Experiment.

Translated page for perusal

If getting COVID before one was vaccinated increases the chance of long COVID (and I think I've seen studies suggestion that, just not ones that made me want to relax precautions), then it's possible Sweden has a higher proportion of people that ended up with long COVID because they let everything rip before any vaccinations were available.

DominoKitten has issued a correction as of 04:47 on Aug 31, 2023

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

Well the fact that the guy is identifying himself and publicly documenting his test procedure makes me feel like it's less likely he's grifting this at least.

Yeah I think it's more side hustleitis, where you've made your very earnest hobby into a small business with no economy of scale.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Guy in my office was positive this morning so probably contagious Monday and Tuesday.

Great, the valet at work crashes my car last week and then I get exposed to COVID this week. Hopefully I didn't get hit.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Gunshow Poophole posted:

yeah they're counting on everyone's memory span extending at most one year / infection into the past

we've been swimming in ~*acquired immunity*~ for 2 years now lmao
This is the cycle of suffering you want to live in, actually.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

The Oldest Man posted:

There are a lot of good intentioned people out there, and an equal number of grifting poo poo-bags looking to make a quick buck.

The Oldest Man" posted:

Sorry, that was a brain fart. I was thinking of AirPop, specifically this loving thing https://airpophealth.com/products/active-smart-mask-halo-sensor

FWIW, way back in 2020 I had the AirPop Light SE KN95 tested at the MIT laboratory that was validating N95s for the state of Massachusetts, and they found it performed at or above the KN95 standard. Can't speak to the smart mask / halo. At this point, there's not as much of a need for mask validation, but this was back when it was impossible to get N95s and most KN95s were counterfeit.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://twitter.com/RajlabN/status/1697059564250669453

I hate it whenever a new variant starts to pop up near me, it just make me feel a bit anxious.

It does kinda feel like how Delta got started in America, we only found like 15 cases of Delta in the first 3 weeks before it all went bad

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

is EG5 about to get all about eve’d by FL151

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NeonPunk posted:

It does kinda feel like how Delta got started in America, we only found like 15 cases of Delta in the first 3 weeks before it all went bad

Yeah that's how exponential growth goes: "Hey there's next to zero cases ..... hey there's still next to zero cases ...... hey there's only been a couple more cases ..... whoops now it's everywhere, how did that happen?"

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

NeonPunk posted:

https://twitter.com/RajlabN/status/1697059564250669453

I hate it whenever a new variant starts to pop up near me, it just make me feel a bit anxious.

more coughing at the office again & a coworker back in a surgical and clearly sick

it's here, it's been here. this dramatic, slow reveal with wastewater data is part poor monitoring and part spectacle. only your respirator trust

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
My experience with clean air kits: I bought a luggable to try it out in home earlier this year, and it was very effective for the wildfire smoke and allergies, at very low power consumption and noise.

The up front cost is high but replacement filters are standard furnace filters and cheaper in bulk than things like BlueAir and Mila, which are my other at-home units. They also reached out to me directly by email to make sure everything went well.

They sell an optional mesh grate that fits on the side to keep people from touching the filters, but the mesh is very expensive and not particularly well made, so I would recommend not buying that unless you really had to make the unit more presentable in a public space.

I bought another for my son's classroom this year, and the low noise and power and stem kit-like appearance helped me sell it on the principal. Time will tell if it actually does any good.

None of this really speaks to their effectiveness vs. COVID, but in my experience they seem more of a garage-enthusiast product as opposed to a scam. It's not a professional, mass produced product but it moves air quietly and efficiently, so I think it pretty much comes down to whether or not Filtrete viral filters actually filter viruses.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah that's how exponential growth goes: "Hey there's next to zero cases ..... hey there's still next to zero cases ...... hey there's only been a couple more cases ..... whoops now it's everywhere, how did that happen?"

My biggest concern regarding BA.2.86 tracking is if the variant actually is from Denmark and the first case seen was one of the first infections.

That was not the case with Omicron or Delta for that matter; the upticks were noted well in advance of genetic sequencing. Essentially starting the tracking after they had gotten over the initial slow growth of the exponential function.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

"why are we _______(*) on ______(**) instead of _________(***)"

* - wasting healthcare (dollars|resources), medications
** - the disabled, the terminally ill, an ethnic minority, LGBTQ people, the other
*** - me, the children, pregnant women, god fearing americans

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Another one.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-66670500 posted:

Covid: New BA.2.86 variant found in Scotland
(..)
Genomic sequencing detected the variant from a PCR sample collected on 16 August.
(..)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There was a discussion in CD about Nick Nolte and I googled to see if he had any upcoming projects announced and lmao

quote:

Will Yun Lee (The Good Doctor) has signed on to star alongside Oliver Masucci, Nick Nolte and Jacqueline Bisset in the pandemic-set psychological drama Shelter Me, marking the directorial debut of actor Jake Weber.

The film is described as an anthology of storylines set against the international backdrop of Covid-19. Its protagonist is Jon Boylan (Masucci), an A.I. research scientist who is unable to intimately connect with members of his test group (Nolte and Bisset). Jon subsequently develops a remote monitoring system that exposes personal struggles, weaknesses and strengths during isolation that come to a reckoning, as their layers of personality begin to peel away.
https://deadline.com/2023/04/will-yun-lee-joins-indie-drama-shelter-me-with-nick-nolte-jacqueline-bisset-1235333697/

:rolleyes:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There was a discussion in CD about Nick Nolte and I googled to see if he had any upcoming projects announced and lmao

https://deadline.com/2023/04/will-yun-lee-joins-indie-drama-shelter-me-with-nick-nolte-jacqueline-bisset-1235333697/

:rolleyes:

That premise would be a lot more interesting with the realistic M.Night-twist of the "AI" actually being a LLM and the scientist essentially gaslighting the participants and himself about everyone's feelings. As a scathing critique of capitalism, vc's and techbros.

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!
tomorrow's September. when do new life expectancy numbers drop (lol)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Strangelet Wave posted:

tomorrow's September. when do new life expectancy numbers drop (lol)

That's my secret, Cap. They're constantly dropping.

:v:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pingui posted:

My biggest concern regarding BA.2.86 tracking is if the variant actually is from Denmark and the first case seen was one of the first infections.

That was not the case with Omicron or Delta for that matter; the upticks were noted well in advance of genetic sequencing. Essentially starting the tracking after they had gotten over the initial slow growth of the exponential function.

Given how little sequencing there is now it seems somewhat unlikely that we caught it that early and it's going to blow up the same way Omicron did but we do live in the worst timeline so

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

The Oldest Man posted:

Given how little sequencing there is now it seems somewhat unlikely that we caught it that early and it's going to blow up the same way Omicron did but we do live in the worst timeline so

Testing is (way) down in Denmark, but not sequencing (hence the concern):

The first BA.2.86 sample was from Week 30, where ~69% of samples were sequenced and 50% produced a genome.

Also noticed this (that's 9 BA.2.86 samples in Denmark):

Source: https://www.covid19genomics.dk/statistics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

NeonPunk posted:

Pingui posted:

Not so for many countries. Delta was absolutely sequenced, spotted, and watched before cases caused by it went up.

For the US it's actually closer to three six months between when we first saw it and when it became a wave. Delta was sequenced in the states ages before it accelerated past the Alpha and (in the PNW at least), Gamma waves. It was also sequenced in India in late 2020 before it accelerated in 2021 for them.

[edit] Yup, Ryan and Marc pointed out the same time-frame. Our memories get skewed and it's not always actually as fast as it felt like it was.

https://twitter.com/LongDesertTrain/status/1696987240151359751

Zantie has issued a correction as of 16:09 on Aug 31, 2023