Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

zone posted:

You will own nonfunctioning Puccian goods, and be happy

while Russian oligarchs will be saying goodbye to the West from their mansions in Dubai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I'm curious here, now. Do we have good stats for:
Russian military strength pre-war/now in relative vehicles/persons available. Ukrainian for the same.
Are both countries worse off, and by what margins?

This is a pretty heavy question that no doubt requires a lot of research, but I figure these numbers might have been tossed around in the thread.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

SRQ posted:

I'm curious here, now. Do we have good stats for:
Russian military strength pre-war/now in relative vehicles/persons available. Ukrainian for the same.
Are both countries worse off, and by what margins?

This is a pretty heavy question that no doubt requires a lot of research, but I figure these numbers might have been tossed around in the thread.

We don't really know. According to the Oryx group their total of visually confirmed losses is, +/- 20-30% for Puccia and 15-20% for Ukraine, the absolute floor of the recorded losses. Even now old losses from previous battles are still being occasionally posted after geolocation gets confirmed. More than that, we have no idea.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

zone posted:

We don't really know. According to the Oryx group their total of visually confirmed losses is, +/- 20-30% for Puccia and 15-20% for Ukraine, the absolute floor of the recorded losses. Even now old losses from previous battles are still being occasionally posted after geolocation gets confirmed. More than that, we have no idea.

That about tracks to where I thought, and it's loving mind-blowing.
It's really hard for me to wrap my head around a peer conflict in 2023 that's destroyed 30 odd percent of its participants military strength.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

SRQ posted:

That about tracks to where I thought, and it's loving mind-blowing.
It's really hard for me to wrap my head around a peer conflict in 2023 that's destroyed 30 odd percent of its participants military strength.

I wasn't referring to 30% of their military strength, I was more saying the total number of destroyed equipment on Oryx for both sides + those percentages indicate the floor level of losses for both sides. As to how much equipment both actually have in total, that'd be harder to pin down.

e: in other news, according to Terrorist Guzenko, the high command of the 205th brigade are none too happy about the milbloggers telling the truth about their miserable situation, and ordered their arrest by any means.

quote:

And so, I have information from verified sources that the Military Counterintelligence (MCI), today received a task to detain our comrades in the Kherson region, in this list: Romanov (https://t.me/romanov_92), Zhivov (https://t.me/zhivoff), Saponkov (https://t.me/RSaponkov).

And also, the "valiant" brigade commander of the 205th brigade, including gave the task to all posts to identify and detain the above-mentioned people.

Hello, 1937!

That is, everyone who can be removed is removed, someone is put in jail, someone is eliminated forever, there is a mess and lawlessness at the front, and those who tell the truth are trying to be eliminated by any available means INSTEAD OF RESTRAINING THOSE WHO DONATE THE TRUTH.

The question is of course rhetorical, do the commanders have a conscience? I think the answer is obvious.

If there are honest officers left in our Armed Forces, they will not allow this to happen, and if it happens, then know that lies are at every turn, and those who give out these criminal orders are nothing but traitors and collaborators of the enemy.

P.S. The 2nd company of the 205th brigade is being dispersed to different places, half of them are being transferred to Dzhankoy, so that they will not be able to deliver information to the inspectors from the Defense Ministry.

e: forgot telegram link
https://t.me/Separ13_13/18456

zone fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 31, 2023

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

zone posted:

I wasn't referring to 30% of their military strength, I was more saying the total number of destroyed equipment on Oryx for both sides + those percentages indicate the floor level of losses for both sides. As to how much equipment both actually have in total, that'd be harder to pin down.

Dang it! Well 30 odd percent of pre-war stocks is the last I remember referenced for Russia.
At the very least the cost is enormous.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

GABA ghoul posted:

Russia should surrender those islands to avoid bloodshed

Conflict over such island led to a bloody battle and almost sparked a full war between USSR and China in 1969. USSR kept the island but Putin officially gave it to China in 2008.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Soviet_border_conflict

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

zone posted:

You will own nonfunctioning Puccian goods, and be happy

I need a translation of that translation!

zone
Dec 6, 2016

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Dugin is basically saying that Puccians should be proud to own products made in Puccia that don't work as intended, food that's not as tasty as what they got from Europe, etc. and to rejoice at the subsequent fall in their standards of living.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.businessinsider.com/russia-demands-norway-pay-millions-for-reindeer-border-crossing-2023-8?utm_source=reddit.com&r=US&IR=T

Special grazing operation

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

What am I to do without an assault rifle when 30-50 feral reindeer cross my border

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I have no idea what is real, what is a joke, and what is both at this point

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

What are advantages and disadvantages to self propelled arty vs towed? Outside of the obvious cost difference?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
With self propelled artillery, you don't have to worry about renting a pickup truck

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

RBA-Wintrow posted:

After Russia banned isekai manga, they're trying to replace them with home-made telegram stories of Dugin-chan who promotes the benefits of domestic misery

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
reverse isekai where your dream life in western europe is over and now you get taken off your office wageslave job to make bread payments and get sent straight to the front

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Mr. Merdle posted:

What are advantages and disadvantages to self propelled arty vs towed? Outside of the obvious cost difference?

SPG will have lots of extra bits and pieces on like GPS etc. It's much faster to get around the local area and redeploy.

Towed stuff is much quicker to be able to deploy in a larger area and can be air lifted via most helis. It's costs are vastly lower than SPG's to build, train crew and maintain.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

zone posted:

Dugin is basically saying that Puccians should be proud to own products made in Puccia that don't work as intended, food that's not as tasty as what they got from Europe, etc. and to rejoice at the subsequent fall in their standards of living.

In a saner nation with a saner commenter, I'd assume he was being sarcastic. But this is Russia, and that is Dugin, so who the gently caress knows.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The specialest forces :3:

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Santa Claus has some wild stories about getting intercepted by MiGs on Christmas Eve.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

Sashimi posted:

Santa Claus has some wild stories about getting intercepted by MiGs on Christmas Eve.

Saw Violent Night last week. My money is on Santa.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Sashimi posted:

No doubt! According to Finnish forklore, Santa lives on a fell on the Finnish-Russian border.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korvatunturi

Zat fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 31, 2023

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
Seeing reports of more drones over bryansk

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Imagine if they were German deer...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

quote:

Russian defense minister Shoigu ordered that the country's largest air defense system producer should work around the clock after the largest raid by Ukrainian drones to Russian cities Shoigu gave the instruction during his visit to the the Almaz-Antey

Is this what winners usually do?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Getting tired of winning

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

"work more and harder"

Can't believe they didn't try that earlier!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The children yearn to operate crew served artillery systems in the Donbass.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Hello it is a good day for Russia to lose the war

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The children yearn to operate crew served artillery systems in the Donbass.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

10 cents says that there'll be a production line disaster there in less than a month.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

zone posted:

10 cents says that there'll be a production line disaster there in less than a month.

Considering that video of a "trained" russian soldier about to put a mortar round in backwards, Im not sure itll take more than a day.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
"Devils and Angels" are sniping top Russian commanders to demoralize their troops, but I halfway wonder if that might have the opposite effect and raise their morale instead given how insanely poo poo Russian officers are!

https://www.businessinsider.com/elite-ukraine-sniper-team-devils-and-angels-targets-top-russians-2023-8

quote:

While Ukrainian troops struggle to proceed through Russia's minefields, an elite team of snipers are focused on taking one shot at a time — and strategically picking off high-profile Russian military targets.

The team of snipers has dubbed itself the "Devils and Angels," according to a report in The Wall Street Journal. A crucial part of their role is to take out high-level Russian commanders and other high profile targets, with the ultimate goal of sowing shock, chaos, and disorganization in the enemy ranks.

"If you're assembling to attack and your lieutenant is picked off, the unit goes into disarray," military historian and retired Army Major General Robert Scales told the Journal. Even killing the leader of a small unit can "completely discombobulate the unit," he added.

The snipers training near Bakhmut told the outlet that in addition to their marksmanship, they're training to be even more elusive in the field. "We work quietly, we are invisible," a sniper who goes by Fisher said.

Ukrainian snipers have previously said it's their mission to terrorize and demoralize Russian troops. One sniper who was severely wounded in battle told CNN last week he underwent 16 operations just so he could get rejoin his unit on the frontlines in the Zaporizhzhia region.

Mark Cancian, a senior adviser at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, told the Journal "snipers also become much more important when the front lines stabilize, as they have for the last many months in Ukraine."

Ukraine's snipers have said they don't typically use ghillie suits, camouflage often used by Western snipers to help them blend into the environment, because they were too heavy to hike in across battlefields, Insider's Ryan Pickrell previously reported. The snipers do, however, say they prefer Western rifles.

Night-vision technology has also helped Ukrainian snipers identify and hit their targets, with an unverified video from June appearing to show them holding off a Russian attack by aiming at thermal images of moving targets.

Also in June a Ukrainian sniper picked off Vladimir Andonov, a Wagner Group member known at "The Executioner" and one of Russian President Vladimir Putin's most notorious mercenary fighters.

Good hunting to them

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
A German donated field hospital was delivered to Ukraine last week. It is designed to substitute as a civilian oblast level hospital. It was made by Rheinmetall and comes with containers with MRT, operations, dental care, intensive care, and a shock room

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
So blown up by end of the next week.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

HonorableTB posted:

A German donated field hospital was delivered to Ukraine last week. It is designed to substitute as a civilian oblast level hospital. It was made by Rheinmetall and comes with containers with MRT, operations, dental care, intensive care, and a shock room

That's awesome and I hope it remains safe and doing work.

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Tai posted:

depends if they follow treat&scoot doctrine or not.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Tai posted:

Just disguise it as an ammo warehouse. They would never waste their precious missiles on one of those.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Please remove photos. Russians and their simps scour the net for stuff like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ukraine should make inflatable decoy hospitals and schools and theaters and such