Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Sure does, although it's not always helpful because of how much DOM fuckery Alphabet does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Didn't it used to be a settings option to stop sites messing with right click? I just looked and can't find it. Odd thing to remove if they have.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Didn't it used to be a settings option to stop sites messing with right click? I just looked and can't find it. Odd thing to remove if they have.
dom.event.contextmenu.enabled=false

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
It used to be an actual option the settings though, really wish they didn't keep dumbing Firefox down.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I generally would prefer more stuff on the settings page, but for that one I'm with Mozilla. Changing the right-click menu is a web standard, disabling it will break the functionality of sites. Settings that break standards should be in the nerds-only zone.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Speaking of, they added an about config option to disable the shift click behavior in case a site is dependent on that combo.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1759303

And it looks like for once they didn't make the stupid option the default.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

There's this scene in a William Gibson novel in this pre-cyberspace virtual world, where a piece of unwanted advertising slips under a virtual door like a crab, but before it can bother anyone, some ad blocking agent materializes, picks it up, and flies away. UBlock Origin list updates remind me of that sometimes. An ad slips through, I barely notice, and whatever vector it used to get through is patched the next day.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
does dev tools not have something for disabling stupid JS restrictions like that? or is that just chrome

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

There's this scene in a William Gibson novel in this pre-cyberspace virtual world, where a piece of unwanted advertising slips under a virtual door like a crab, but before it can bother anyone, some ad blocking agent materializes, picks it up, and flies away. UBlock Origin list updates remind me of that sometimes. An ad slips through, I barely notice, and whatever vector it used to get through is patched the next day.
I'm not just sure it can happen, I'm sure it has happened.

It tends to get used by nation-state backed APTs for much bigger targets than you and I, though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I've had Youtube ads too in the past couple of days but can bypass them by opening a video in a new tab and just letting the page load. If I click on a video link in the same tab it seems they've found a way to occasionally sneak an ad in there before Ublock can act.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I really don't know what the hell I'm doing where uBlock Origin doesn't work for me on YouTube. I have the default lists loaded. Could anything else be interfering?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Making a new Firefox profile with just ublock origin with default settings should clarify that. This is nondestructive, you can always switch back to the old profile.

Just make a shortcut to firefox.exe -p to open the profile manager.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

There's also about :profiles, which lets you create a new profile without even closing the old one.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Huh I didn't notice, but then I hardly ever use google drive.

Yes, holding shift works on that too.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Firefox on PC has done this bullshit to me multiple times this month, which has never once happened on Android.

If I have one window with say, 999 tabs (and 5 pinned), and two popup windows with no tabs, and I happen to X out of them in the wrong order, then when I relaunch Firefox the window with 999 tabs (and 5 pinned) won't reappear, and it ALSO won't be in "Recently Closed Tabs" or "Recently Closed Windows". I would love if that didn't happen again and/or my tabs are backed up, but no loving way am I trusting a backup of 999 tabs to some rando extension provider. Any ideas?

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
I think Settings -> General -> Confirm before closing multiple tabs will do what you want?
Also I got in the habit of never closing Firefox by closing the windows, only by doing File -> Exit

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
The feeling of losing a lot of tabs at once sucks so much. Idk if it helps, but my work flow now involves me keeping the bunch of multiple tabs open on my phone, and pulling them up via the shared history being synced across multiple devices to my desktop. Sorry if this doesn't really solve the problem though.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Zero VGS posted:

Firefox on PC has done this bullshit to me multiple times this month, which has never once happened on Android.

If I have one window with say, 999 tabs (and 5 pinned), and two popup windows with no tabs, and I happen to X out of them in the wrong order, then when I relaunch Firefox the window with 999 tabs (and 5 pinned) won't reappear, and it ALSO won't be in "Recently Closed Tabs" or "Recently Closed Windows". I would love if that didn't happen again and/or my tabs are backed up, but no loving way am I trusting a backup of 999 tabs to some rando extension provider. Any ideas?

This is a Windows-specific behavior. On Mac, closing the last window does not quit the application and you specifically have to use the Quit command.

Instead of using Alt+F4 (which will lead to missing windows as you described), use Ctrl-Shift-Q to quit Firefox and save all windows, instead.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I've personally made the File > Exit pattern a habit with Firefox to avoid all that.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Hmm well thanks for the tips but I'm not super-confident this keeps me from getting buttfucked later. I did go and set "warn before closing multiple tabs" though.

Is there maybe some internal file that Firefox saves to track all your tabs in a window, that I can set to backup to Dropbox or something? I just don't trust the random backup apps, who knows if they phone home to Xi or Putin.

Nalin posted:

I've personally made the File > Exit pattern a habit with Firefox to avoid all that.

File -> Exit is also warning me that I'm closing multiple tabs, so that's making me nervous if they're always going to return.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Alright I feel like I'm going insane here because this issue makes no sense and I cannot figure out what the hell it could be....

.... Firefox mobile has stopped working on mobile data. It works on WiFi, every other browser on the phone works on mobile data, as does everything else, it's only Firefox that doesn't work (and I've tried main, beta, focus and nightly). Pages just timeout with either "connection reset" or occasionally "proxy refused connection". Usb debug shows nothing at all beyond the same failed network requests with the same messages

To make it more confusing, if I put my wife's SIM card in my phone Firefox works. If I put my SIM in my wife's phone, Firefox works. If I put my SIM in my phone, Firefox doesn't work.

What the gently caress is going on.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Zero VGS posted:

Hmm well thanks for the tips but I'm not super-confident this keeps me from getting buttfucked later. I did go and set "warn before closing multiple tabs" though.

Is there maybe some internal file that Firefox saves to track all your tabs in a window, that I can set to backup to Dropbox or something? I just don't trust the random backup apps, who knows if they phone home to Xi or Putin.

File -> Exit is also warning me that I'm closing multiple tabs, so that's making me nervous if they're always going to return.

Yes, you can backup your firefox profile folder.

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Alright I feel like I'm going insane here because this issue makes no sense and I cannot figure out what the hell it could be....

.... Firefox mobile has stopped working on mobile data. It works on WiFi, every other browser on the phone works on mobile data, as does everything else, it's only Firefox that doesn't work (and I've tried main, beta, focus and nightly). Pages just timeout with either "connection reset" or occasionally "proxy refused connection". Usb debug shows nothing at all beyond the same failed network requests with the same messages

To make it more confusing, if I put my wife's SIM card in my phone Firefox works. If I put my SIM in my wife's phone, Firefox works. If I put my SIM in my phone, Firefox doesn't work.

What the gently caress is going on.

Data saver on Android? Maybe disable it for Firefox in particular if it's not already under app info > mobile data?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Airconswitch posted:

Data saver on Android? Maybe disable it for Firefox in particular if it's not already under app info > mobile data?

Nope. Data is enabled, same on the device and there's 60gb in plan. I can stream off whatever and load chrome and edge absolutely fine, it is literally only Firefox that fails and it's *all* versions of it, including after reinstalls, reboots etc.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Check firefox's vs your phone's network settings? Especially DNS? Maybe it's a DNS over HTTPS issue, if Firefox has brought that to Android.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zero VGS posted:

but no loving way am I trusting a backup of 999 tabs to some rando extension provider. Any ideas?

Right click tabs -> select all tabs -> bookmark tabs... -> enter today's date as folder name

Do this at whatever interval you feel is required to protect your precious tabs, while deleting old folders.

Optional: realize that bookmarks are a great way to save 999 things that you want to look at later, become enlightened.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Zero VGS posted:

You can use a session manager. I'm currently using Tab Session Manager and previously MySessions. MySessions has saved my tab hoard several times after Firefox has lost them, and I think there were even case where I had to load an older session because the newest had some issue.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Quackles posted:

Check firefox's vs your phone's network settings? Especially DNS? Maybe it's a DNS over HTTPS issue, if Firefox has brought that to Android.

Yeah I tried changing DNS settings in the
developer options on the phone to disable Https and set a custom DNS (Google open one) and nope, Firefox still won't load anything.

I'm gonna try a factory reset because this is really weird and I at least want to eliminate software as a cause.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Yep, factory reset "fixed" it. So that eliminates network provider and leaves me with ??? some sort of weird proxy poo poo that ff uses on mobile? I guess I'll never know!

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Yep, factory reset "fixed" it. So that eliminates network provider and leaves me with ??? some sort of weird proxy poo poo that ff uses on mobile? I guess I'll never know!

There are a lot of apps and settings that can restrict data on a per-app basis. Easy to set and forget.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Atopian posted:

There are a lot of apps and settings that can restrict data on a per-app basis. Easy to set and forget.

I'd expect to get a "no connection" error in those cases like if you turn off mobile data generally, I was getting proxy/connection reset errors.

Anyway now I have to go and delete all the Google poo poo from the phone all over again but at least I can sync my bookmarks!

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

Right click tabs -> select all tabs -> bookmark tabs... -> enter today's date as folder name

Do this at whatever interval you feel is required to protect your precious tabs, while deleting old folders.

Optional: realize that bookmarks are a great way to save 999 things that you want to look at later, become enlightened.

Oh man i never even noticed that you could do this. I've got multiple FF windows running that each have a heap of pinned & non-pinned tabs and i just ended resorting to leaving the PC running 24/7 and using the FF sync thing prior to manually running windows update were it will want to Restart the PC.

i've probably seen that pop-up window a trillion times and it just never occured to me.

Like cheers Friend.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
One of my GTK themes updated and Firefox decided to make the address bar drop-down background transparent. If this happens to you, it's an easy userChrome fix:

code:
/* Change the URL bar drop-down background */
#urlbar-results {
background:  var(--toolbar-field-focus-background-color) !important;
}

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've begun to notice the download view (or ctrl-j) doesn't always come up when selected.

After a minute or two it might. I've just noticed this behaviour recently. Anyone else see this?

If you select the download progress circle on the top the first few show, but going down to "show all" doesn't always work.. until it does :psyduck:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Does clearing the list speed it up?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'll try it, I typically do every few days.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

If that doesn't work you could maybe try the database maintenance in about:support, but if that doesn't clear it up you might wanna try a new profile.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Any word on Firefox getting a profile switcher like Edge?

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Like about:profiles ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I would guess more like the fast profile switcher that chrome and chromium-based browsers all have. Those you can switch profile without a full restart.

And I would assume no. If it was easy mozilla probably would have done it already, in their never-ending quest to chase chrome features whether good or bad. The much older underpinnings of firefox probably make this super difficult.

(But also, the normal reason to use multiple profiles on chromium browsers is to juggle accounts. Firefox has multi-account containers that are far better at the job.)