Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

e: This is a missile, not a drone

https://twitter.com/slaychau_/status/1696984553460781415

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/IntelWalrus/status/1696986592898937129

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
If you speak Russian or German you might be interested in this.

Маша Борзунова makes videos about Russian propaganda, like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTdq2ZAuaqs

Arte is translating them to German:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W-A_ZX0aM0

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

It fits perfectly well. Your original post:

The poem “dulce est decorum est” is about the lived experiences of soldiers in WWI and how they felt that it was a lie used to manipulate people into dying pointless deaths for the false ideals of king and country (when in reality they were mown down by machine guns and artillery for meaningless lines on a map to move a few miles forward). (Literally, "it is sweet and fitting to die for one's country", which is a paraphrased version of the exact claim you make in your post)

They literally teach this to schoolchildren to drive home the horrors and pointlessness of war, and to refute your point that it is honourable and good to die for your country. It isn’t.

It also obviously has direct parallels to the current situation in Ukraine (pointless deaths, incompetent generals, trench warfare, gruelling artillery).

There’s a very good reason why WWI poetry became a poignant expression of the common soldiers’ experience, and something to learn from. Sadly it seems that those lessons have been forgotten.

Hey Super awesome I'd appreciate an answer to the question that was asked. Because you bring up a topic that kind of got glossed over.

Which false lies are Ukrainian soldiers dying from exactly?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Paladinus posted:

Fun fact about the Pskov airport. It's named after St.* Princess Olga of Kyiv, who, among other things, is famous for her unusual revenge on the tribe of Drevlians. They killed her husband, Prince Igor, when he tried to exact tribute from them, so she devised a Game of Thrones-esque plan of how to get back at them. First she pretended that she wanted to marry the leader of Drevlians, invited him over, and killed him and all best Drevlian warriors who accompanied him. Still pretending that she was over Igor, she convinced Drevlians to pay tribute since she was about to be the wife of their leader, and requested three pigeons and three sparrows from each Drevlian house. She then instructed her servants to put on each bird a piece of cloth with burning sulphur and release them, so that they would return back to Drevlian settlements and burn everything to the ground. Which is what happened according to what little there is about her reign in historical sources. So, in a way, she was behind one of the first suicide drone attacks.

*The revenge plot probably took place before her conversion to Christianity, but it's the most iconic part of her biography. Everyone who lived through the 90s in ex-USSR is familiar with the story (or its cartoony version) thanks to this ad that promoted paying taxes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhvTUgNCsT8

This is magical. :allears:

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

I would absolutely watch that show

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

While I want Ukraine to succeed, this seems like deeply wishful thinking.

They attack in multiple lines simultaneously, compared to Ukraine who attacks in one line.
They attack under cover of a smoke screen fired by artillery. Ukraine has not done this.
They have air-cover, both jets and helicopters. Ukraine does not, due to shootdown danger.
They clear the first minefields in <30 mins with both explosives and mine-sweeping engineering vehicles. Ukraine has taken 2-3 months to clear the first minefields, with documented heavy losses to their mine-clearing vehicles (which they have a limited number of).
They use an armoured vehicle carrying a bridge to breach the anti-tank ditch. How many of these does Ukraine even have?
They use overwhelming artillery strikes. Western sources have admitted that the Russians are unfortunately outshooting Ukraine by a 10:1 ratio.
The video shows a single band of defences (wire, minefields, anti-tank ditch). The Russians have 2-3 of these bands.

So, to summarize, Ukraine is attacking fixed defences without many of the necessary components to perform the task successfully (air superiority, smoke cover, artillery superiority). They have taken 2-3 months (and great losses) to make the same progress that a US army would plan 30 minutes for. They still have not completed the main task (breaching the first full defensive line), and there are 1-2 more lines after that. Even once they have breached those 3 lines, there are many tens of kilometres to go before they reach the Sea of Azov or Melitipol (and there are also fortifications there too).

I am firmly in the pro-Ukraine camp, but if we look realistically at their progress so far, it is not looking good at all. (And many US army sources are saying the same lately too).
Russia did have an overwhelming artillery advantage, which they used to push forward offensives in the early war. But they hit the limits of their shell supply rather sharply, which prompted Wagner's whining for shells in Bakhmut and the generally lackluster pace of their offensive since then.

Bear in mind that every estimate of shells fired given is pure guesswork. You can google it and see estimates from 5,000 (US) to 40,000 (Some Ukrainian Major) shells fired per day by Russia, so you can pretty pick and choose whatever narrative you want. However, best estimates show the Ukrainians winning counterbattery fights by heavy margins in recent fighting. IMO it's pretty safe to say that while Russia still clearly has an advantage in artillery, the extent of that advantage has attrited massively since the start of the war.

I'd also note that noone in the NATO has really thought about - forget training for - breaching the insanely deep and dense minefields Russia is using, much less contemplated doing it while being shot at by helicopters and drones. And I assure you Ukraine is familiar with the concept of smoke shells and sequenced assaults.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Russia probably still has the clear advantage in "number of artillery shells being launched" but I'm not going to imagine the condition of the barrels or their general accuracy lol

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It really is, Napoleon was the last one and that was over two hundred years ago. Japan has been more of a problem to Russia than Europe has been, since then.

Here is a (partial?) list of western countries that have invaded Russia / the USSR since Napoleon.
France, the UK, Greece, the USA, Serbia, Poland, Germany (including Austria), Hungary, Romania and Italy.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Weka posted:

Here is a (partial?) list of western countries that have invaded Russia / the USSR since Napoleon.
France, the UK, Greece, the USA, Serbia, Poland, Germany (including Austria), Hungary, Romania and Italy.

You're not by chance counting the purchase of Alaska as an "invasion" of Russia by the USA? Otherwise not sure which occasion you are referring to for the USA invading Russia.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Orthanc6 posted:

You're not by chance counting the purchase of Alaska as an "invasion" of Russia by the USA? Otherwise not sure which occasion you are referring to for the USA invading Russia.

Probably referring to the intervention around Archangel during the civil war. It was planned before the RCW got into high gear due to the Bolshevik alignment with the Germans.

Basically once ww1 stopped though it was a matter of months before those guys were gone.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Orthanc6 posted:

There was a really weird and half assed US expedition during WW1 that was like 'we don't want the Bolsheviks to win the civil war, but we don't want to stick our dicks in all the way either' so they kind of hosed around for a while, fought a little bit, then left.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Panzeh posted:

Probably referring to the intervention around Archangel during the civil war. It was planned before the RCW got into high gear due to the Bolshevik alignment with the Germans.

Basically once ww1 stopped though it was a matter of months before those guys were gone.

Thanks, consider me educated.

Definitely wasn't trying to defend "Invaded Iraq on a whim" USA of not being imperialistic, just thought an invasion of Russia would have stood out more in history. Definitely counts even if it was of little consequence.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

There was a really weird and half assed US expedition during WW1 that was like 'we don't want the Bolsheviks to win the civil war, but we don't want to stick our dicks in all the way either' so they kind of hosed around for a while, fought a little bit, then left.

They sent 11000 troops and took several towns.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Panzeh posted:

The Bolsheviks surrendered a lot of land to the Germans including a big chunk of Ukraine. IDK how you get that they were "aligned". The war with Germany literally broke the Russian empire, it was one of its primary causes of death. The Bolsheviks were the only power in the world calling WW1 a dumb shitfest and they surrendered almost immediately when they took over.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
But, to be more precise, Russia has historically been a horrific neighbor and there's a reason eastern european countries that border it rarely end up friendly to it.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The Bolsheviks surrendered a lot of land to the Germans including a big chunk of Ukraine. IDK how you get that they were "aligned". The war with Germany literally broke the Russian empire, it was one of its primary causes of death. The Bolsheviks were the only power in the world calling WW1 a dumb shitfest and they surrendered almost immediately when they took over.

Between Brest-Litovsk and the armistice in ww1 among the other powers, Lenin constantly offered economic concessions to the Germans, who had very little respect for his rule in general, especially as the German parliamentary opposition soured on him upon learning about the way Lenin consolidated power once he was out of WW1. In fact, the Germans had put together a force to go to Petrograd and put him down the same way they put down the Ukranian Rada. The British were moving in to join the White forces, and their explanation for external consumption was Lenin's collaboration with the Central Powers.

Once the Central Powers were gone, even Lloyd George, who very much favored heavy support for Kolchak struggled to keep momentum up for this and british support for the Whites withered away, though they did retain support for the newly-independent Eastern European countries, like the Baltics and Poland.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 31, 2023

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Panzeh posted:

Between Brest-Litovsk and the armistice in ww1 among the other powers, Lenin constantly offered economic concessions to the Germans, who had very little respect for his rule in general, especially as the German parliamentary opposition soured on him upon learning about the way Lenin consolidated power once he was out of WW1.

Yeah, because Germany marched all the way to Kiev and the Russian military had basically collapsed. Those concessions were forced at gunpoint. I'm not "aligned" with someone who mugs me because I give them my wallet.

Panzeh posted:

In fact, the Germans had put together a force to go to Petrograd and put him down the same way they put down the Ukranian Rada. The British were moving in to join the White forces, and their explanation for external consumption was Lenin's collaboration with the Central Powers.

Right, so the entire narrative of "central power alignment" was a lie.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Got to remember that WW1 was simply much more important to all the allied powers intervening in the Russian Civil War, except Japan. Both for initially trying to deny things to Germany and later on in general war exhaustion after armistice day. The one exception is Japan, who were still trying to prop up their totally not a puppet colony in Siberia years after everyone else had grudgingly accepted the Bolsheviks. After all, by 1921, the British are signing the initial Anglo-Soviet Trade Agreement, with further treaties being ratified in 1924. Also in 1921, the US signs the Russian Famine Relief Act of 1921, which results in tens of millions of dollars going towards feeding millions of starving Russians.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
There hasn't been much in the last couple pressers, but have this closer for old times' sake:

quote:

Anyone else in the room? Dan. OK, last question to Dan and then I'll wrap it up.

Q: Presumably, ATACMS are still not something that the administration's considering providing Ukraine?

MS. SINGH: I don't have any update for you on anything that we're providing regarding ATACMS.

Q: Is it still under consideration?

MS. SINGH: I have no updates for you, when it comes to ATACMS. I think the Ukrainians, as you've seen, have been using, whether it's the HIMARS or the Storm Shadow, in quite incredible effect on the battlefield, but I just don't have anything to announce when it comes to ATACMS.

https://www.defense.gov/News/Transcripts/Transcript/Article/3509665/sabrina-singh-deputy-pentagon-press-secretary-holds-a-press-briefing/

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The problem isn't Germany itself, as you've correctly identified most of Europe has been largely demilitarized (which explains why they're having such a difficult time sending Ukraine equipment).

The reason they can safely demilitarize is because they have a military alliance with the United States. If Germany goes to war with Russia, so does the US and so does every other member of NATO.

This was last page but to be clear this scenario is impossible. Article 5 only happens if Russia attacks Germany, not the way around. If Poland decided to directly intervene into Ukraine to fight the Russians they would be on their own, with any aid and support going through the same channels as it does for Ukraine.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Deteriorata posted:

lol. Your goalposts keep moving with every response. Either NATO is too close or it isn't. The fact that the Baltics are already in NATO means that Ukraine poses no additional threat.

Your argument is silly.

this may be the most I've ever seen someone move a goalpost in a D&D thread tbh

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mederlock posted:

The first assumption that they tend to make is that people in power and in government are rational actors that only make rational choices that benefit the state as a whole. The reality is that these structures and decision makers are humans ruled by unique sets of biases, misunderstandings, and other various failings. They're also allergic to counterfactuals that would undermine their given scenarios.

I'm not, and the thread isn't, saying that all political scientists are wrong about current geopolitics. There's just a subset of these public analysts that overlap with the financebro style tendencies of being good salesman for their pet takes, who like public attention.
Realists also tend to have zero concern for the type of government they're talking about, since states behave in more or less similar ways. It's a worldview that developed out of 18th century European power politics. They can come across as cold, and can enrage liberal supporters of Ukraine when they focus on NATO expansion as the cause of the Russian invasion. Liberals tend to see liberal-democratic governments behaving in similar ways, and different from authoritarian ones which behave in similar ways so Russia is like China.

I don't tend to agree with either of them, because while I think NATO expansion is a factor, it's not the primary one. I place a lot of emphasis on systems and the internal contradictions of systems, so the internal system in Russia plays the primary role, but not because it's authoritarian and "Putin is a dictator," or because it's similar to the Soviet Union (which it isn't), which then interacts with external factors, which play a secondary role. The Russian system constructed by Putin is a unique and complex thing, and I don't believe people can understand it through a worldview that holds that, as a rule, rational motivations are in control either. It doesn't seem to be behaving rationally, as far I can see.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 31, 2023

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The argument could be made that the Baltics are relatively exposed, they may be close to Russia's heartland so to speak; but they are also bordered by the Russian enclave of Kalinagrad to the Southwest, and Russia aligned Belarus to the South; as long as Ukraine is non-aligned or Russia-aligned this is a manageable geostrategic circumstance for the same kinds of people who think Russian IRBMs in Cuba or American missiles in Turkey are too close for comfort but the missiles that take 30 minutes instead of 5 minutes were fine. It's a similar kind of logic where one situation can be tolerable because it can be "managed" while the other situation is intolerable because it represents a rapid collapse of the strategic situation. Now suddenly Belarus and by extension the Kalinagrad enclave are being "flanked" by pro-NATO forces. Now not only is St. Petersburg threatened but now so is Belgorod, Volgograd, Rostov. Moscow can now be attacked from *three* directions and the Russian states ability to concentrate their forces to defend critical regions is much more precarious.

Russia's military reforms of the 2010's and similar illustrate this, Russia had a rapid reaction force of around 80,000 people. Enough to presumably rapidly neutralize the Baltics; basically before they had essentially only one front with NATO to really worry about; Ukraine joining the NATO camp increases this to two which massively degrades the capability of the Russian military to do something about it.

If NATO was in a conflict with Russia in the North along a narrower front despite the ways Russia has currently massively mismanaged the war, we can see signs how this strategy could work, a narrower front with their advantages in artillery would clearly have been a significant challenge for NATO to overcome, at least in a similar kind of limited conflict where NATO is worried about nuclear escalation and decides to keep the fighting in the Baltics instead of escalating by landing in the South or flanking further north via the Sea.

This is a lot of speculation but I don't think its entirely nonsense to see the ways Ukraine further drifting away from Russia represents a further deterioration in the Russian state's geostrategic situation. (Not that this would ever have been a remotely a legitimate concern if Russia was legit a good neighbour interested in friendly cooperation and peaceful development and is only a concern for Russia because they specifically have gone out of their way to treat the smaller countries around them as pawns in geopolitical and geostrategic "great power great game" rivalries; to paraphrase, play geostrategy games win stupid geostrategy encirclement prizes)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Zwabu posted:

Likewise while the victory of the Union in the U.S. Civil War might seem obvious in retrospect based on population and industrial and economic might, there may well have been scenarios where the Confederacy might have strung together enough victories to oust Lincoln and exceed the collective will of the North to preserve the Union.

To relate this topic to the thread writ large, there were also scenarios where the Confederacy might have secured materiel support particularly from the British and in the long term, recognition of sovereignty by the Crown. Extremely unlikely, but there was a chance, however remote.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

BIG HEADLINE posted:

To relate this topic to the thread writ large, there were also scenarios where the Confederacy might have secured materiel support particularly from the British and in the long term, recognition of sovereignty by the Crown. Extremely unlikely, but there was a chance, however remote.

One often reported factor was European observers (Mostly Britain, France and Germany) saw a few ACW battle fields and wrote reports that can be summarized as "Jesus gently caress modern warfare is loving brutal :stonk:"

Which convinced most of the major powers to just leave the Americans to figure it out for themselves and not pick a side

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I'd also note that noone in the NATO has really thought about - forget training for - breaching the insanely deep and dense minefields Russia is using, much less contemplated doing it while being shot at by helicopters and drones. And I assure you Ukraine is familiar with the concept of smoke shells and sequenced assaults.

One of the weird retrospective ironies of the Cold War is that both sides developed extensive battle plans and doctrines based on the assumption that the OTHER guy was going to kick things off and try to drive straight through to Moscow/Paris, yet neither side seriously contemplated any actual offensive plans to take on the opposing alliance because holy poo poo that would be insane.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Tomn posted:

One of the weird retrospective ironies of the Cold War is that both sides developed extensive battle plans and doctrines based on the assumption that the OTHER guy was going to kick things off and try to drive straight through to Moscow/Paris, yet neither side seriously contemplated any actual offensive plans to take on the opposing alliance because holy poo poo that would be insane.

Depends on what you mean by "contemplated", Soviet doctrine absolutely emphasized "a good defence requires a goodoverwhelming offence" and all plans AFAIK involving war with NATO until the 80's involved launching a massive offencive before NATO could. There were far cheaper alternatives to massive tank armies in Germany if the goal was just to do defence in depth.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Here is an interesting one.

EU imports of Russian LNG have jumped by 40% since the invasion of Ukraine
https://www.globalwitness.org/en/press-releases/eu-imports-russian-lng-have-jumped-40-invasion-ukraine/

EU countries are estimated to have spent nearly €5.3bn buying over half of all Russia’s LNG during the first seven months of 2023, with Spain and Belgium the second and third largest buyers worldwide

Countries in the European Union are buying significantly more Russian liquified natural gas (LNG) now than they did before the invasion of Ukraine, with Spain and Belgium only just beaten by China as top buyers, according to Global Witness analysis of Kpler data.

Between January and July 2023, EU countries bought 22 million cubic meters of LNG, compared with 15 million cubic meters during the same period in 2021 – a jump of 40%. Using Russian LNG prices estimated by the Centre for Research on Energy and Clean Air based on spot and monthly trade values, Global Witness projects the EU’s 2023 purchases to be worth €5.29 billion.

This is a much sharper rise than the global average increase in Russian LNG imports, which stands at 6%. EU countries now buy the majority of Russia’s supply, propping up one of the Kremlin’s most important sources of revenue. Between January and July 2023, the EU bought 52% of Russia’s exports, compared to 49% in 2022 and 39% in 2021.

In March 2023, EU Energy Commissioner Kadri Simson urged member states and EU companies to stop buying Russian LNG. And Spanish Energy Minister Teresa Ribera asked Spanish buyers not to sign new Russian LNG contracts, calling the situation ‘absurd’.

Recent research by Global Witness has revealed that Shell and TotalEnergies have continued to trade Russian LNG following the invasion. Global Witness analysis in July 2023 showed Total is the biggest non-Russian buyer of liquified gas from the country, buying nearly 4.2 million cubic meters of Russia’s LNG since the start of the year. And earlier Global Witness analysis revealed that between March and December 2022, Shell bought and sold 12 percent of all of Russia’s exports, over 7.5 million cubic meters of LNG.

Spain is now the second largest buyer of Russian LNG worldwide, with Belgium close behind. During the first seven months of 2023, Spain took 18% of Russia’s total sales, while Belgium took 17%. China bought 20%. During the same period in 2021, Spain ranked 5th and Belgium 7th.

Jonathan Noronha-Gant, senior fossil fuel campaigner at Global Witness said:

“Europe’s fossil gas-based energy system is a climate disaster and security risk, funding warmongering regimes and fuelling deadly extreme weather. That national capitals are buying more LNG from Russia than before the war shows that we are simply not moving fast enough to replace gas with renewables. Governments need to wake up to the reality of our dependence on fossil gas and come up with an emergency plan for a full phase-out – starting with a ban on the trade of the Russian gas which is lining Putin’s pockets.

“Buying Russian gas has the same impact as buying Russian oil. Both fund the war in Ukraine, and every euro means more bloodshed. While European countries decry the war, they ‘re putting money into Putin’s pockets. These countries should align their actions with their words by banning the trade of Russian LNG that is fueling both the war and the climate crisis”

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dante80 posted:

Here is an interesting one.

EU imports of Russian LNG have jumped by 40% since the invasion of Ukraine
[i]https://www.globalwitness.org/en/press-releases/eu-imports-russian-lng-have-jumped-40-invasion-ukraine/
:words:

That's not great but it's important to remember that Russian LNG exports are a drop in the bucket compared to their former pipeline exports. They simply don't have the means to convert enough of their pipeline gas to LNG to offset lost revenue from losing the European pipeline market.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Morrow posted:

Ukraine joining NATO or the EU also has to deal with Russia-friendly states like Hungary and Turkey, either of whom could choose to hold it up indefinitely.

Turkey isn't Russia friendly. Erdogan likes to keep his options open.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Isn't one problem with getting supplies to Ukraine that nobody planned for "old fashioned" land wars that require literally millions of artillery shells, so nobody (including the US) had enough on hand to give to Ukraine?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Weka posted:

On one hand you forgot Finland, but at least Poland it western country now :poland:
No Slovakia, probably you could add Czechoslovakia too.
It's like that map showing all countries invaded by UK/England, where a lot of entries were really deep into "well, technically if you go by x dictionary definition".

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Weka posted:

Vladimir Putin traumatized by the thought of living through another Greek invasion. Gotta stress eat another country to calm down

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Weka posted:

is this geographically western countries, or "western aligned" countries?

if the latter you might as well include japan. in either case if you're going to include the last three you should include slovakia, and arguably czechia

struggling to remember how the great serbian menace managed to earn a place haunting the collective russian unconscious, something under tito? or when they were some ottoman dutchy or something?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Dante80 posted:

Jonathan Noronha-Gant, senior fossil fuel campaigner at Global Witness said:

“Europe’s fossil gas-based energy system is a climate disaster and security risk, funding warmongering regimes and fuelling deadly extreme weather. That national capitals are buying more LNG from Russia than before the war shows that we are simply not moving fast enough to replace gas with renewables. Governments need to wake up to the reality of our dependence on fossil gas and come up with an emergency plan for a full phase-out – starting with a ban on the trade of the Russian gas which is lining Putin’s pockets.

“Buying Russian gas has the same impact as buying Russian oil. Both fund the war in Ukraine, and every euro means more bloodshed. While European countries decry the war, they ‘re putting money into Putin’s pockets. These countries should align their actions with their words by banning the trade of Russian LNG that is fueling both the war and the climate crisis”

[/i]

It would definitely be helpful to the Ukrainians if Europe to stop funding the Russian war effort. They may have to sacrifice a bit to do so, but it's in their own best interest.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

I'm just a little suspicious of that article. It feels like it's mentioning some numbers with no context... going to look and see "ok, more LNG, yes, but what about total NG" and without looking, I am guessing the total amount of gas is down, and the price is back down....

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
~80% of russias NG/LNG exports to europe were via pipeline, yeah. that remains very heavily down from its peak in 2021

couple months old but a decent overview of russian energy exports:
https://www.rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/commentary/europes-not-buying-impact-lost-gas-markets-gazprom-and-russia

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Aug 31, 2023

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
The point is that the EU shouldn't be importing any Russian gas at all. €5 billion is a lot more than zero.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Grey Area posted:

The point is that the EU shouldn't be importing any Russian gas at all. €5 billion is a lot more than zero.

It also illustrates the point that Europe (just like the USA) will support Ukraine as long as it's convenient for them to do so. Actual sacrifice? Not going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

daslog posted:

It also illustrates the point that Europe (just like the USA) will support Ukraine as long as it's convenient for them to do so. Actual sacrifice? Not going to happen.

Yeah, Ukraine should probably just surrender.