Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

I was just kind of idly glancing at descriptions and my mind linked together the concept of "Hercule Poirot 2D precision platformer", and now I will not be happy until this exists

Mario on the Orient Express?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

OddObserver posted:

Mario on the Orient Express?

that was literally a part in Paper Mario TTYD

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

"Hercule Poirot 2D precision platformer"

Kirbule Poiyot

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ymgve posted:

that was literally a part in Paper Mario TTYD

I forgot about that, it was great. So basically that + more jumping, I guess.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
A Hat In Time also has a train mystery with platforming, but it's more 3D platforming

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
The Matchless Kungfu

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256953608/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1687081152

quote:

The Matchless Kungfu is an open world sandbox RPG game based on a WuXia background. You can play any martial arts role you imagine in this wild world. Travel through the great wilderness, or be the leader of the group. The most important thing is, build your own story and live the experience!

(1)You can build your mini worlds from start to make them meet your needs. Every land block has its unique environment, resource, creature or clans. You can also generate several bigger worlds which already have plenty of land masses for you to challenge!

(2)A new kind of turn-based battle which allows you to release different moves, build your own skill deck to defeat(or not) the enemy -- in a stylish way!

(3)The Meridian system allows you to run different kinds of Inner Kungfu, provides various buffs, and ways to deal with inner wounds, hidden diseases, illness and other debuffs. You will “run yourself” like those heroes does in Wuxia novels!

(4)Tavern, spring, jail and sweet home. Build your structures freely, and make them function!

(5)Train your stealth skill, sneak around and... find something!

(6)Qinggong, jumping, diving, climbing... Travel around in the mini world, find out secret treasures!

(7)Define your own character for each life! One life is definitely not enough to experience the world of The Matchless Kungfu!

(8)NO PLOT! Just NPCs that are not simply puppets with well-written plots, but will act spontaneously according to their own personalities, status and goals!

(9)Burn the house, pet the animals and let them help you, build your own clan, give orders to your fellows, throw the ones you hate into the jail... and more!

This kind of seems like Kenshi mixed with a weird turn based combo chaining combat system mixed with, like, some kind of city/land builder? I was watching a stream of this today and when the player got the edge of a land mass, it let him choose what the next connecting area was and place it on a grid map before entering it. Some really weird and cool stuff.

Stlll in Early Access, $14.99, but has had over three years of development and expect about another year of content updates before full release.

BIG NOTE: You may see that the language in the video above is not English. You can set it to English language but

quote:

Hi, fellows from all over the world!
The game will be updating and adding content frequently. Unfortunately, formal translation can't keep up the pace, and we for now can't manage to support more languages.
We'll use machine translated English text first for each update, and then bulk replace them with better ones.
If you meet translation mistakes, or confusing ones, you can always submit bug report via the main menu or ESC menu in game :-)!

It's machine translated and...not great. But good enough that you can generally tell what is going on, especially since this is not a game with a plot but more of a sandbox.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Play posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1454540/LAPIN/
94% positive out of 91.

Mixed reviews.

Name is pretty lol-worthy. Hercule Poirot: THE LONDON CASE.
A City he currently lives in and has lived in for a long time.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

This looks amazing, but I strongly doubt it will ever see a bug-free release, especially since the developer has no track record.

But then, Kenshi was written by one dude, so who knows.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Trine 5 is out.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
Sea of Stars is fun, it makes the JRPG combat better with my favorite gimmick - button press timing for stronger effects/blocking ala Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi. Your MP is a pretty small resource and getting it back with basic attacks keeps a decent push/pull feel going in battles. Some pretty simple dungeon crawling/puzzle "platforming" in it too. The spritework is pretty good although some of the dialog (especially from one character) is not really my cup of tea.

Would recommend though, it also has a bunch of optional stuff you can buy and toggle off/on to make the game easier although I haven't found anything that increases the challenge so far after about 6 hours.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

Sea of Stars is fun, it makes the JRPG combat better with my favorite gimmick - button press timing for stronger effects/blocking ala Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi. Your MP is a pretty small resource and getting it back with basic attacks keeps a decent push/pull feel going in battles. Some pretty simple dungeon crawling/puzzle "platforming" in it too. The spritework is pretty good although some of the dialog (especially from one character) is not really my cup of tea.

Would recommend though, it also has a bunch of optional stuff you can buy and toggle off/on to make the game easier although I haven't found anything that increases the challenge so far after about 6 hours.

Yeah pretty sure all the relics only make things easier. Honestly the main challenge in the game is patience and deciding whether to take time going back and resting at a fire or use healing food/skills. I have died once but mainly that's from tempting fate on a boss.

Absolutely gorgeous game though. Wow. And the whole vibe nails the old school jrpg feel, very nostalgic.

Also Starfield comes out today if you're willing to spend a hundred dollars on it. Otherwise Sep 6

KNR
May 3, 2009

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

There's a hard mode relic in Brisk in the secret shop under the docks. That and not using food made the battles feel a lot tighter, though I've still only lost once.The generous KO system makes you feel a lot closer to defeat than you actually are.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
I'm also liking Sea of Stars so far, about five hours in. I would like whoever decided to include enemies who can repeatedly summon more enemies to burn in hell, though.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
Void Stranger, the sokoban puzzle game from the devs of ZeroRanger, is out. playing what i have so far (and given what lil hints ive seen, its not much despite being multiple hours in), its very good. check it out.

Basch lives!
May 31, 2011
Grimy Drawer
Dinosaur Gum

Lakbay posted:

I like the combat and exploring in Sea of Stars about an hour and a half in but the two main characters have absolutely no personality despite having dialog that I'm surprised they didn't go with silent protagonists or even a create-a-character. The opening also pales in comparison to the last throwback RPG I played, Chained Echoes, too. I assume it gets better because most of the reviews praised its story telling

I love the poo poo out of Chained Echoes. Waiting for my cousin to finish it so we can start Sea of Stars at the same time; so we can talk about the game sooner, without a huge lapse in time.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

Void Stranger, the sokoban puzzle game from the devs of ZeroRanger, is out. playing what i have so far (and given what lil hints ive seen, its not much despite being multiple hours in), its very good. check it out.

Can confirm this is very good. Without spoiling too much, yes, it's a simple sokoban game, but there's some Tunic-style layers and metagame fuckery going on.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Just launched: Chants of Sennaar. One for the language dorks out there, bit of a Sable meets Heaven's Vault caper where you must decode the languages of the different peoples inhabiting a tower to bring them together. Pros: very pretty. Cons: short-ish, easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__hzPH3tcvA

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I played the demo, it seemed neat enough, but I don't get the impression there's enough there for a whole game.

I might even prefer it if it never did the confirmed translations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

SexyBlindfold posted:

Just launched: Chants of Sennaar. One for the language dorks out there, bit of a Sable meets Heaven's Vault caper where you must decode the languages of the different peoples inhabiting a tower to bring them together. Pros: very pretty. Cons: short-ish, easy.

I was just coming here to post that! Sorry to hear that it's easy and short, otherwise I'd have plunged right in.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
Looks like it's 10ish hours, though, which doesn't seem that short, particularly for an indie game. I really liked Heaven's Vault and liked what I played of the demo, so I'll probably pick it up.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I liked Heaven's Vault, but you really needed to play it in one go or keep physical notes. Leaving it and coming back made me lose all my alien language acquisition.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Abriss build to destroy is now out of EA

87% though most reviews seem to be older

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

an owls casket posted:

Looks like it's 10ish hours, though, which doesn't seem that short, particularly for an indie game. I really liked Heaven's Vault and liked what I played of the demo, so I'll probably pick it up.
Oh, that's not my definition of short at all. I'd call short 2-3 hours, because I never play AAA games that have to charge AAA prices. Back to Steam! also I am very bad at videogames so it will probably be 20 hours for me.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

SexyBlindfold posted:

Is this a genre??? I'm not sure about this game specifically but decoding languages would be very much my jam, especially if it's more involved than "find an inscription, plug it in to a larger text".

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

BrianRx posted:

Is this a genre??? I'm not sure about this game specifically but decoding languages would be very much my jam, especially if it's more involved than "find an inscription, plug it in to a larger text".

You should check out Heaven's Vault if you haven't already. It's a lot of puzzling out meanings of an ancient civilization's language through context clues and building off of what you've already learned.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I felt the language parts of Heaven’s Vault were too basic, but it does get credit for having a language that’s not simply English with a different font. Also they supposedly made the travel between places much more tolerable than at launch so I should pick it up again.

There’s another interesting game called Sethian where you «talk» to an alien computer, but it suffers from a rather limited number of responses it accepts and feels more like a proof of concept than a game.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

an owls casket posted:

You should check out Heaven's Vault if you haven't already. It's a lot of puzzling out meanings of an ancient civilization's language through context clues and building off of what you've already learned.

Oh cool, I'll check it out. For some reason, I had merged it with Pillars of the Earth in my mind, probably because I was reading the book the latter is based on at the time Heaven's Vault was released.

ymgve posted:

There’s another interesting game called Sethian where you «talk» to an alien computer, but it suffers from a rather limited number of responses it accepts and feels more like a proof of concept than a game.

This looks really cool. It seems like there's also an element of figuring out how the software/interface of the alien computer works which would be interesting to me on its own. Shame it seems so limited, but it's cheap so I'll probably pick it up.

BrianRx fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 5, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

haldolium posted:

Abriss build to destroy is now out of EA

87% though most reviews seem to be older

This one grabs me, I like making stuff fall down and go boom. I have to wonder if it would make my computer start to smoke rendering all those objects, though.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I liked Sethian back in the day!

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

BrianRx posted:

It's not exactly the same as the more obvious and specific recommendation of Heaven's Vault, but there are definitely some other adventure games that involve language deciphering, like Tunic and Fez, and thinking about it, other puzzlers like The Witness and Outer Wilds and La Mulana, somewhat. Zachtronics games like TIS-100 also have you learn a language...a computer assembly code language, that is. I wonder if games with weird lore and cultures you need to learn like Disco Elysium and Pathologic 2 and FFX's Al Bhed language would count? Ok, that's probably stretching it too far.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Other games for language dorks:
- Heaven's Vault
- Outer Wilds
- Tunic maybe??
- Frog Fractions 2 (part of it, at least)
- The Gostak (free, text-based)

Captain Hygiene posted:

This one grabs me, I like making stuff fall down and go boom. I have to wonder if it would make my computer start to smoke rendering all those objects, though.

If this one's too beefy you can try Besiege or Teardown instead, if you haven't already.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

SexyBlindfold posted:

Other games for language dorks:
- Heaven's Vault
- Outer Wilds
- Tunic maybe??
- Frog Fractions 2 (part of it, at least)
- The Gostak (free, text-based)

If this one's too beefy you can try Besiege or Teardown instead, if you haven't already.

There is also a classic language related puzzle in The Edifice that might pique your interest if The Gostak did.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Tunic definitely has a cool language that's not a simple cipher, though it's not actually a central puzzle of the game. You only "need" to figure it out for one of the super secret treasures that has no bearing on the game's story or systems, as the provided hint is only in the game's language.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

ymgve posted:

I felt the language parts of Heaven’s Vault were too basic, but it does get credit for having a language that’s not simply English with a different font. Also they supposedly made the travel between places much more tolerable than at launch so I should pick it up again.

Oooh. Okay, I'm going to go back and pick it up again. I sucked at driving that drat sailship so much.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Another thing of note is that Heaven's Vault has a new game plus thing going on where the fragments you can translate get longer and new words/concepts are introduced with each new game cycle you complete.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Outer Wilds is more xenoarchaeology than strictly xenolinguistics, but it rules and everyone should play it.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oooh. Okay, I'm going to go back and pick it up again. I sucked at driving that drat sailship so much.

Yeah, I loved the idea of the game so much but the ratio of linguistics to busywork was too much for me and I bounced maybe an hour and a half in. It really didn't help how snide everyone in the setting was for some reason, either. Does the busywork die down deeper into the game?

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

OtspIII posted:

Yeah, I loved the idea of the game so much but the ratio of linguistics to busywork was too much for me and I bounced maybe an hour and a half in. It really didn't help how snide everyone in the setting was for some reason, either. Does the busywork die down deeper into the game?

Heavens Vault is probably the first game I’ve ever played that I felt would be better served as a visual novel. The non-archaeology gameplay was so nothingy to me I’d prefer it just auto play you know?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I finished Chants of Sennaar last night. It's a great game, took me about 8 hours to get the full ending.

The good:
- Beautiful somewhat minimalistic graphics. You really get the feeling you're in a giant tower reaching to the heavens.
- Creative and well designed languages, and you get a feel of each faction from how the glyphs are written
- Not one of those games that just use English with the font set to WinDings

The bad(?):
- The language learning is a bit too hand-holding, at specific points you are given a note page of 3-4 illustrations and you have to connect each illustration to a glyph. If you are correct, you are given the exact translation of the word, which makes it a bit more of a puzzle game like Obra Dinn than a "proper" learning experience. On the other hand, this means the player rarely gets stuck on some hard to understand words, and keeps the flow of the game going.
- For a game about language, there is a lack of it. Only a few of the NPCs you meet talk, and they only give a few sentences each. Written language is generally in the form of murals, signs and short notes. The worst example of this is when you encounter a library, and there isn't a single book you can read, only a few scattered notes and plaques. This means that without the "answer key" given to you, you could go the whole game with major misunderstandings. One example: Early in the game there is a few occurences of a glyph that I interpreted as sun, but the real translation was God. This glyph doesn't occur that often, and while thematically connected, gives a different vibe to certain conversations.
- The player character runs a bit too slow for these gorgeous vistas you traverse

The ugly:
- They put stealth sections in the language learning game. They are thankfully not hard and have checkpoints, but ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
put a stealth section in a language game, call that a false friend section