Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

slidebite posted:

I've always just threaded a woodscrew in the tip. Usually when removed a small slug of dried silicone comes out with it and it works perfect.

i used to do that, and then figured out that making a big glob worked better as a seal. It can even work with PL, which is usually a 1 time disposable tube.
Though the ribbed edges does feel better on the inside....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

His Divine Shadow posted:

I put it in the freezer

Kinky.......

For any one looking for ratcheting wrenches, Tekton still has their old stock on sale for 10-20% off.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

All this grinder chat, someone (me) needs to post this old gem:

https://twitter.com/colfox_/status/1045488547027914752

The Smoke.....

Quoting myself for this classic that someone else posted years ago and I reposted a few years back. I was looking through my posts in this thread and came across it.

Particularly Ironic as I was listening to That Smell by Skynrd when I came upon it.

Then the smoke started. I can only imagine "that smell"

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Quoting myself for this classic that someone else posted years ago and I reposted a few years back. I was looking through my posts in this thread and came across it.

Particularly Ironic as I was listening to That Smell by Skynrd when I came upon it.

Then the smoke started. I can only imagine "that smell"

The good ol' Harbor Freight days. I had a metal chop saw that performed similarly. I didn't use it frequently, but got about 15 cuts out of it with increasing burning smell / smoke with each use. Until some bearing let go and the blade got all wobbly.

At the near-nothing price I paid, I still got my money's worth out of it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I still have at least one HF grinder of that age still going. Like all spinning tools from HF if you want them to last you need to start by openeing them up before you even turn them on. Clean out the "grease" they put in there. It will hold some of the grinding and casting swarf. Clean the rest out with something sensible like electrical cleaner. Then put actual good grease back in.

There you go, you've now given your $12 HF grinder the ability to last for many years.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Regardless I find it's the only method that really works. Put it in a plastic bag and in the chest freezer. Gotta remember to take it out beforehand though so it requires some logistics.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Motronic posted:

I still have at least one HF grinder of that age still going. Like all spinning tools from HF if you want them to last you need to start by openeing them up before you even turn them on. Clean out the "grease" they put in there. It will hold some of the grinding and casting swarf. Clean the rest out with something sensible like electrical cleaner. Then put actual good grease back in.

There you go, you've now given your $12 HF grinder the ability to last for many years.

You've mentioned this before. What would you use? Wheel bearing grease? Seems like it would be suited for the task. High speeds, a poo poo load of spinning etc....

I mean sure anything is better than the poo poo they put in there.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

You've mentioned this before. What would you use? Wheel bearing grease? Seems like it would be suited for the task. High speeds, a poo poo load of spinning etc....

I use whatever is in my grease gun at the time, which is usually Mobil 1 (the red synthetic multipurpose stuff).

Literally anything is better than the chinese gutter honey they put in there.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Yeah, I used Valvoline red stuff in my grinder of a similar vintage.

I'm not entirely convinced that the crap I cleaned out of that thing wasn't actually earwax.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
From the smell it made when my harbor freight portaband caught the brush end on fire the second time I pulled the trigger, I'm quite certain it was earwax.

poo poo was RANK.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
No no no, that's the earwax they use to insulate the motor windings you were smelling.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I've used brake caliper grease. It's high temp so I figure it should do the trick. 4 years later so far so good.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
isn't part of the problem that the cheap HF gadgets aren't internally designed to retain the grease very well, so the gears just fling all the grease off as soon as you look at the trigger?

a film of nice grease is better than a film of trash, but if the majority of the grease never touches the gears that could be part of the problem.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Raluek posted:

isn't part of the problem that the cheap HF gadgets aren't internally designed to retain the grease very well, so the gears just fling all the grease off as soon as you look at the trigger?

a film of nice grease is better than a film of trash, but if the majority of the grease never touches the gears that could be part of the problem.
I repacked my mid grade (I.e., not the absolute cheapest they sell) HF grinder when I first got it, none of the grease has come back out in the ~2.5 years intervening.

I also packed it, because hell, why not?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

slidebite posted:

I've always just threaded a woodscrew in the tip. Usually when removed a small slug of dried silicone comes out with it and it works perfect.

And here's yet another method I use. Take a ripped off finger off your latex or nitrile gloves and put it on the top and squeeze the trigger. It comes right off like a cap and it's reusable. I've never had one not be like new when using this method.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

I have had good luck with both wheel bearing grease and NLGI 00 grease which is like a sloppy pourable grease that will flow around the gears much more easily than NLGI 2. Stuff is hard to find in consumer quantities though.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

kastein posted:

From the smell it made when my harbor freight portaband caught the brush end on fire the second time I pulled the trigger, I'm quite certain it was earwax.

poo poo was RANK.

To verify, offer it up to a cat, if it gobbles it up, earwax confirmed. This might introduce the taste for the substance however and if you sleep with the door open you might wake from a feline tongue in your ear one night.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Oh my god. I thought my cat was weird or something. I had no idea it was a common thing.

Years ago woke up once to this 3 month old kitten growling like some sort of wild animal only to see it was gnawing on an earplug it fished out of my workbag.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
One of my dogs likes to eat used foamies too. Makes the poops easier to spot on the lawn.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of grease, I need to lube up some trailer wheel bearings.

I already bought a tube of Timkin hi temp red, but as I was looking at locking zerk fittings, I kinda started talking myself into just getting a whole new grease gun. How dumb would it be to buy a Lock N Lube grease gun vs swapping out the tube and fitting on my crappy leaky grease gun?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

stealie72 posted:

One of my dogs likes to eat used foamies too. Makes the poops easier to spot on the lawn.
Our dachshund eats my girlfriend's ear plugs constantly. She's woken up to her trying to pull them directly out of her ears.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Catatron Prime posted:

I already bought a tube of Timkin hi temp red, but as I was looking at locking zerk fittings, I kinda started talking myself into just getting a whole new grease gun. How dumb would it be to buy a Lock N Lube grease gun vs swapping out the tube and fitting on my crappy leaky grease gun?
You don't need anything gimmicky, just get a quality grease gun.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Catatron Prime posted:

I bought the lock n lube gun and it owns bones. If you check eBay you can score deals on returned units.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

You don't need anything gimmicky, just get a quality grease gun.

You've never used a lock n lube. They are a game changer.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sharkytm posted:

Is it just because you can use 2 hands to pump? Or is the lock end something I'd want on my battery grease gun anyway?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Yes. The only downside is the end is larger so zerks with poo poo access become more difficult.

the coupler itself is 30 usd, totally worth trying.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MRC48B posted:

Yes. The only downside is the end is larger so zerks with poo poo access become more difficult.

That's kind of problematic right there since a grease a lot of heavy equipment and access is quite limited in a lot of spots.

I suppose since it locks I can do what I did with my side adapter zerk head: put a zerk on it so I don't have to actually switch it off the end of the hose. I can just throw a zerrk in the one I take off the grease gun. That would make them easier to use.

I'll have to try it.

zerk.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
You see once you buy the lock n lube you're in their ecosystem and you can buy one of these (and the other part you need).... It's how they get ya I swear: https://locknlube.com/collections/quick-connect-adapters/products/locknlube-simple-90-coupler

Their push on 90 is also neat.

(they sell a kit)

deimos fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 3, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I just put on some 45 or 90 degree fittings to have better access. (YMMV)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

deimos posted:

You see once you buy the lock n lube you're in their ecosystem and you can buy one of these (and the other part you need).... It's how they get ya I swear: https://locknlube.com/collections/quick-connect-adapters/products/locknlube-simple-90-coupler

Their push on 90 is also neat.

(they sell a kit)

Yeah, I don't think I need their kit.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

sharkytm posted:

I don't doubt they're a fine product but a good quality "regular" grease gun is a game changer over a lovely grease gun, which is what 95%+ of wrenchers seem to use... and use it for years and believe that therefore all "normal" grease guns suck.
No.
Cheap and lovely grease guns suck.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 4, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Milwaukee M12 grease gat.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

I don't doubt they're a fine product but a good quality "regular" grease gun is a game changer over a lovely grease gun, which is what 95%+ of wrenchers seem to use... and use it for years and believe that therefore all "normal" grease guns suck.
No.
Cheap and lovely grease guns suck.

I meant their locking coupler. 100% agree on the gun itself, cheapo grease guns are the loving worst. I've got an old Alemite and a Lincoln which are great. The locking coupler really makes getting grease into hard to reach fittings super easy.

Also, I came across this, since we're ankle deep in grease chat:
https://www.farmcollector.com/equipment/grease-fittings-zmlz15octzhur/

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Which grease gun doesn't leak? Or is that indicative of poor quality grease? I keep mine in a bag now since seemingly everytime I go to grab it, it's sitting in a puddle of red goop.

Also, Florida man garage.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

My cheap grease gun has never leaked. It's got grease in it, I didn't think grease could leak. But Finland I guess.

I have an oil gun too and that one leaks.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Majere posted:

Which grease gun doesn't leak? Or is that indicative of poor quality grease? I keep mine in a bag now since seemingly everytime I go to grab it, it's sitting in a puddle of red goop.

The point of grease is to keep oil in suspension. I typically run Mobil 1 multipurpose in mine and that stuff WILL break if left over 100 for a while/in the sun. It's probably not that it's poor quality grease (those temps are out of spec for it) or a gun but the wrong grease choice for you and where you store it. It could also be a cheap gun, but I've never seen any grease gun that won't leak the oil out of broken grease.

One would think parts stores in your area would have a selection of greases that work at your area's storage temps, but who knows because most national retail chains are stocked by people who don't live in your area and don't know any different.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 4, 2023

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Majere posted:

Mine is a 20 or 30 dollar one from Amazon (after I had a cheap one I got a "better" one) with Mobil 1 red grease in it and I'm in Michigan. It's kept in a bucket for the same reasons. :v: I assume they all do it to some degree.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Mine gets kept in a PVC pipe with a cap on the bottom, open top, screwed into the wall by the workbench. It's got a tube of some sort of multipurpose grease in it, but occasionally drips. If I think about it tonight I'll snap a picture of it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PitViper posted:

Mine gets kept in a PVC pipe with a cap on the bottom, open top, screwed into the wall by the workbench. It's got a tube of some sort of multipurpose grease in it, but occasionally drips. If I think about it tonight I'll snap a picture of it.

That's a great idea. I need to make some sort of catch tray to put the dewalt battery on one maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I opened the drawer where I keep my grease gun and it was in a puddle of grease. Thanks for reminding me, ignorance was bliss!