Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

$20 says they bought a bunch of LEGO tires, melted them down and made their Orv Tesla brand rubber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mahatma-Squid posted:

What's the go with the unbranded tyres on this heap? Did an actual tyre company agree to make bespoke tyres for this without any branding on them at all, or is this just an Alibaba special? I think the original wheels had some dumb pieces that stuck out and went into the recesses on the tyres but that doesn't seem to be the case any more?

https://twitter.com/BLKMDL3/status/1512214799236706312

I checked Tire Rack and they only have two options in that size at all, neither of which are currently in stock:

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
Man I'm just perpetually baffled at how stupid this thing is. It doesn't look like there's much clearance at all between the caliper and the wheel either, so it may not even be practical to get something in a less stupid size for winter tyres or whatever. I'm sure Tesla have all this sorted though and it's not just a half baked piece of trash.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Cyber truck is like 1999 yahoo chatroom cyber sex.

Dumb, pointless and ultimately disappointing.

Also, I just learned of the existence of "VinFast" automobiles.

There appears to be a dealer in my city.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VinFast

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

To sell an EV car in the US you just have to submit what, three units for crash testing? Or is that even required? Presumably you get an emissions testing waiver

Edit: apparently you don't need to have it independently tested, you can just submit results from internal testing. Apparently land Rover does this with all of their vehicles, and Mazda does it with the Miata, and a pretty wide range of cars really

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-safety/some-cars-will-never-be-crash-tested-crash-test-ratings/

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 31, 2023

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Every review thus far has been pretty loving negative in regards to Vinfast and their weird cars and leasing batteries thing they are trying.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Also, I just learned of the existence of "VinFast" automobiles.

There appears to be a dealer in my city.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VinFast

I'm shocked you've never heard of them, why they're the 3rd most valuable car company in the world!

quote:

Aug 28 (Reuters) - Shares of Vietnamese electric-vehicle maker Vinfast surged 21% on Monday, extending a rally from last week that more than quadrupled its market value to $160 billion.

The company made a blowout debut on Wall Street this month and has quickly grown in valuation to become the third-most valuable automaker - only behind Tesla (TSLA.O) and Toyota (7203.T).
https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/vinfast-rallies-after-becoming-worlds-third-most-valuable-automaker-2023-08-28/

Wait, sorry, that was 3 days ago.

quote:

VinFast shares are on the move again today, up 11% in early trade but slipping again to a nearly 9% loss in midday trade. On Tuesday, the stock shed a whopping 44%, snapping a six-day winning streak and losing $83 billion in market cap in one day. But that’s not the whole story: VinFast shares have climbed almost 700% since the company listed on Aug. 15 via a SPAC merger with Black Spade Acquisition.
https://nz.finance.yahoo.com/news/vinfast-the-vietnamese-ev-maker-with-a-sky-high-valuation-and-volatile-trading-185855846.html

Something's fucky.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mahatma-Squid posted:

Man I'm just perpetually baffled at how stupid this thing is. It doesn't look like there's much clearance at all between the caliper and the wheel either, so it may not even be practical to get something in a less stupid size for winter tyres or whatever. I'm sure Tesla have all this sorted though and it's not just a half baked piece of trash.

The wheels are so big because it's heavy as gently caress and probably needs huge rotors to stop the brakes from immediately cooking so it's not necessarily that the wheels are the part that is stupid.

I don't know poo poo about off-road tires but a 315 track seems ridiculously wide. Maybe to spread the weight out more?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Franco Caution posted:

Every review thus far has been pretty loving negative in regards to Vinfast and their weird cars and leasing batteries thing they are trying.

Cynically, I think the critical reaction is a result of Vinfast being an easy target. Journalists know there won't be any meaningful repercussions for hitting out at Vinfast like there would be for outright trashing terrible cars from traditional automakers.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

KillHour posted:

The wheels are so big because it's heavy as gently caress and probably needs huge rotors to stop the brakes from immediately cooking so it's not necessarily that the wheels are the part that is stupid.

I don't know poo poo about off-road tires but a 315 track seems ridiculously wide. Maybe to spread the weight out more?

I was curious so I looked up the hummer ev since it's an absolutely huge abomination of a car, and it runs a 305 70 r18. No official weight for the cybertruck from what I can see, but estimates vary from a bit lighter to over a ton lighter. Tesla's have had pretty poor repeated braking performance from what I've read so maybe they're trying to change that with huge rotors.

I don't know poo poo either, but that tread pattern looks pretty mild compared to any all terrains I've seen, and there were the photos floating around a while ago of it needing ramps to get over a normal curb outside the Tesla factory so I really doubt they've put much thought into the off-road performance.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mahatma-Squid posted:

What's the go with the unbranded tyres on this heap? Did an actual tyre company agree to make bespoke tyres for this without any branding on them at all, or is this just an Alibaba special? I think the original wheels had some dumb pieces that stuck out and went into the recesses on the tyres but that doesn't seem to be the case any more?

They appear to be branded, here are some suspension photos from... july august 11 2023? interior https://www.notebookcheck.net/Broken-down-Tesla-Cybertruck-exposes-suspension-system-in-series-of-passerby-spy-shots.740935.0.html

**ANGLE* *RITO* // wrangler duratrac?

exterior seems to match the other photos in this thread

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 31, 2023

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

It's right there in the article.

quote:

Less than 1% of VinFast’s shares are available for trading, with the balance owned by Pham Nhat Vuong and his family and not available for trade. The small “float” of VinFast shares means relatively small stock trades can amplify into big swings in price for VinFast

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

Hadlock posted:

They appear to be branded, here are some suspension photos from... july august 11 2023? interior https://www.notebookcheck.net/Broken-down-Tesla-Cybertruck-exposes-suspension-system-in-series-of-passerby-spy-shots.740935.0.html

**ANGLE* *RITO* // wrangler duratrac?

exterior seems to match the other photos in this thread

I'm gonna assume Wrangler Territory. The tread patterns and size don't seem to match perfectly to any of the Goodyears I can see, so I guess they are at least partially unique to the Cybertruck, or a new line coming out for the gigantic hell trucks of tomorrow.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KillHour posted:

They're big, but the funny thing to me is that they're almost identical in size to 35x12.5R20s, which are vastly more common. Size comparison:

Discount has 61 options in 35x12.5R20, which is an absolute shitload for a truck tire - even my common-as-hell 33x12.5R15 has about half that.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I saw an article recently, not sure if it was this one

https://electrek.co/2022/09/01/tire-makers-adapting-business-ev-revolution/

Apparently EV tires have slightly different requirements, both a heavier load, and loads more torque from at rest can cause EV tires to wear double digit % faster

BF Goodrich Goodyear is named in the article several times. It would kind of make sense for them (bf goodrich) to design a tire around the cybertruck given they probably plan on selling at least a million over the course of the liftime of the model. launch tire for a highly anticipated ev truck is probably good publicity etc

quote:

Since EVs perform differently than gas-powered vehicles (that feeling of instant torque), traditional tires are not ideal. In fact, the company claimed EVs could wear standard tires 30% faster.

Goodyear recognized this and introduced its first tires specifically designed for electric cars in 2018. The tire maker claimed they would last longer with unique tread designs, extend the driving range, and are capable of supporting the weight of a battery.

The tread looks pretty drat close to the wrangler territory mt but there are some slight differences

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 31, 2023

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

They're big, but the funny thing to me is that they're almost identical in size to 35x12.5R20s, which are vastly more common. Size comparison:

Discount has 61 options in 35x12.5R20, which is an absolute shitload for a truck tire - even my common-as-hell 33x12.5R15 has about half that.

Is measuring tires in inches a truck thing? I've never owned a car with tire measurements like that.

Granted, it makes a hell of a lot more sense than [mm]/[%]R[in], but that's what I'm used to.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

VinFast gave cars to Vietnamese influencers who then posted critical reviews of them and were pointing out all sorts of flaws. VinFast got the authorities to arrest the social media influencers but after public outcry they were all released without charges.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KillHour posted:

Is measuring tires in inches a truck thing? I've never owned a car with tire measurements like that.

Granted, it makes a hell of a lot more sense than [mm]/[%]R[in], but that's what I'm used to.

Yeah, but even when the "same" size tire is available as either a metric or "flotation" tire size, the construction between the two might be different. For example, picking a Toyo Open Country A/T III that's available in both 31x10.5R15 and 265/75R15 (which are nearly identical) - the flotation tire weighs five pounds more, has 3/32" more tread depth, a higher maximum pressure, a different load rating, and no UTQG scoring.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Apollo posted:

VinFast gave cars to Vietnamese influencers who then posted critical reviews of them and were pointing out all sorts of flaws. VinFast got the authorities to arrest the social media influencers but after public outcry they were all released without charges.

Don't let Elon hear about this story

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

KillHour posted:

Only on the upper range of tires. 33/34/35/37 x 10.5/11.5/12.5/13.5 is all I ever see.

Which sucks, it's a million times easier to understand and compare.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Godzilla07 posted:

Cynically, I think the critical reaction is a result of Vinfast being an easy target. Journalists know there won't be any meaningful repercussions for hitting out at Vinfast like there would be for outright trashing terrible cars from traditional automakers.

I test drove one. It feels incomplete. If they had just spent a little more time on some details like tuning the suspension and improving the software it could be alright.

It does need to be less expensive, though. Nobody is going to pay Ioniq 5/Mach-E/Model Y money for this.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I really think Toyota has it right as basically the only car company I can think of without plans for a full ev: the plug in hybrid is the smarter approach. Most trips are 40 to 50 miles, but can sometimes be hundreds of miles in a day (road trip, emergency evacuation, etc). So put a little gas engine in there, as a treat. The energy density of gas means it isn’t a big deal to haul around 2-300 miles of “just in case” energy vs the cost of doing that with thousands of pounds of batteries even if it means you have to haul an extra engine along with it

Even if we moved to something more sustainable like flex fuel or idk pure ethanol and the price went up to 20 or 30 dollars a gallon it still wouldn’t make much difference since the amortized cost would remain low: you only need that range a few times a year and that’s when you pay those high prices

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I think you're ignoring a pretty significant cost to the manufacturer in complexity. Sure, right now a large battery is expensive, but costs are probably going to come down over time. Meanwhile, in a PHEV you're still putting in a bunch of systems related to an ICE powertrain, plus EV powertrain systems, plus the complexity of integration, in order to save on battery costs. You've got packaging nightmares, manufacturing complexity, and a huge number of additional components.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I thought that parallel plug-in hybrids aren’t designed to be constantly used as short-range EVs. A serial hybrid seems more suited to it but I couldn’t find a list of those quickly. There was the Volt which is dead, I think the BMW i3, and… ?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

david_a posted:

I thought that parallel plug-in hybrids aren’t designed to be constantly used as short-range EVs. A serial hybrid seems more suited to it but I couldn’t find a list of those quickly. There was the Volt which is dead, I think the BMW i3, and… ?

Mazda mx30 R-EV?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
The Volt wasn't solely a series hybrid anyways. It had a mechanical drive connection which it could use in some regimes (high speed driving mostly). Similar to the modern Honda/Acura hybrids that are mostly series with a clutched highway gear.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think you're ignoring a pretty significant cost to the manufacturer in complexity. Sure, right now a large battery is expensive, but costs are probably going to come down over time. Meanwhile, in a PHEV you're still putting in a bunch of systems related to an ICE powertrain, plus EV powertrain systems, plus the complexity of integration, in order to save on battery costs. You've got packaging nightmares, manufacturing complexity, and a huge number of additional components.

I guess but toyota figured out how to do all of that for less than 40k

I’ll just link superfastmatt’s review of the Prius since it’s what convinced me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWi6RexsQRU

I wouldn’t buy one today since I still insist on having a manual transmission but when all those are gone and everything is ev I would happily take this as an alternative

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

That's leveraging Toyota scale and capability - they could do a pure EV way cheaper. Tesla BOM cost on the model 3 is a variable target but it's like somewhere in the low 30,000s and that's with Tesla being a marginally competent manufacturing company and with a huge and high cost battery.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Main issue i saw with prius phev is that lot of people that purchased it here ran 100% on battery power, to the point that the first time the engine tried to start up, it seized.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

And keep in mind that throwing these thousands of pounds into your car just lessens range anxiety it doesn’t eliminate it. The lucid air I think is the longest range ev currently on the market. Ignoring the price for a moment (we’ll pretend the battery price went down) it has a range of about 425 miles under what I imagine are extremely ideal conditions (what if I’m taking that road trip in the cold, or there’s a headwind?). I can easily do more than double that on a full day of driving.

Sure I could eat a meal while the car is charging but now I’m sort of planning my day around the range of my car. Unless something changes with charge times it’s hard to beat pulling over for 5 minutes to refill to max range

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

Main issue i saw with prius phev is that lot of people that purchased it here ran 100% on battery power, to the point that the first time the engine tried to start up, it seized.

Interesting I thought it automatically ran the gas engine once in awhile to prevent that from happening, maybe that was the volt that did that

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

ADINSX posted:

I really think Toyota has it right as basically the only car company I can think of without plans for a full ev: the plug in hybrid is the smarter approach. Most trips are 40 to 50 miles, but can sometimes be hundreds of miles in a day (road trip, emergency evacuation, etc). So put a little gas engine in there, as a treat. The energy density of gas means it isn’t a big deal to haul around 2-300 miles of “just in case” energy vs the cost of doing that with thousands of pounds of batteries even if it means you have to haul an extra engine along with it

Even if we moved to something more sustainable like flex fuel or idk pure ethanol and the price went up to 20 or 30 dollars a gallon it still wouldn’t make much difference since the amortized cost would remain low: you only need that range a few times a year and that’s when you pay those high prices
ICE engines (and their accompanying accoutraments) are heavy, and complex, and bulky, and engineering and lugging them around are "big deal" for ICE vs hybrid vs plug-in vs EV.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you wanna grind out 1k miles/day yeah, an EV probably isn't for you. I don't think that means that the future is based on PHEVs alone since that is a rare use case.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ADINSX posted:

Interesting I thought it automatically ran the gas engine once in awhile to prevent that from happening, maybe that was the volt that did that

I also heard about the volt spinning the engine up every X months, maybe those prius weren't serviced properly who knows.

Just to throw my 2c on the topic, i've just purchased an EV with a 350km range but i do less than 30 daily, with chargers at the office. Every trip longer than 100km i always pick the train or a plane, so i don't care much about absolute range.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you wanna grind out 1k miles/day yeah, an EV probably isn't for you. I don't think that means that the future is based on PHEVs alone since that is a rare use case.

The point I’m trying to make is it’s a rare use for most people, but it does happen. If you drive 500 miles a day once a year, an ev is a pain on that day. I would buy a plug-in hybrid for that reason alone and I think people are wrong to categorize worrying about range anxiety as silly. Why carry an epipen? You barely ever have allergic reactions!

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

ilkhan posted:

ICE engines (and their accompanying accoutraments) are heavy, and complex, and bulky, and engineering and lugging them around are "big deal" for ICE vs hybrid vs plug-in vs EV.

Ok well after 130 years of research at least it’s a solved big deal

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

I used to live in New Orleans so the ability to hop into a car and get a guaranteed 300+ miles out of it is always going to be at the forefront of my mind :p

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

because at some point lugging around that gasoline engine is gonna cost you like ten grand and people won't pay for it.

I'm not really intending to buy an EV but I think you're significantly overstating the difficulty of doing 500 miles in an EV. And as infrastructure build out continues, and performance in DCFC improves, that trip gets easier and quicker.

also dude: you are loving deranged, dying of an allergic reaction is not the same thing as having to charge your car for 45 minutes

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Something that I don't really understand about the range issue panic is this, are you living in your car 24/7 and never stopping? Even at trickle charge speed, a night of sleep is a full battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

Something that I don't really understand about the range issue panic is this, are you living in your car 24/7 and never stopping? Even at trickle charge speed, a night of sleep is a full battery.

A lot of range anxiety comes from the general lack of charging infrastructure and people's unfamiliarity with it.

We don't have range anxiety about IC cars because gas stations are ubiquitous and we're familiar with them. Few people know off hand where charging points are and are thus worried about what they'll do if the battery gets low.

Yes, there are apps that tell you where they are etc., but that's all part of the whole electric car ecosystem that people have to get used to.