Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
I basically only come back to this game for Frontline. Needs to become a standard mode or more of a regular rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mesadoram posted:

I wanted to like the Italian TDs more than I did. Their guns make me want to scream :smith:.

But holy poo poo, when those tanks work they just bully everyone.

100%. Trying to hit any kind of weak spots is completely futile, and that's what made the god drat 170mm pen T8 gun so painful. I'd literally finish most battles with like 500-600 damage, because I couldn't pen anything or anyone, and you're too slow and big to flank. But with the 120mm, you ain't gotta aim at poo poo. Just point and shoot. Of course this only works against T8 and T9 opponents, against T10 it becomes more difficult but what are the chances you'll ever face any of those?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
http://wotreplays.eu/site/6619126#empire_s_border-mariuslecter-t71_cmcd

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Awesome game!

I always forget, is the CMCD the auto-loader? Because I remember having a lot of fun in that thing :unsmith:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The typical experience:

How the gently caress are you supposed to win when 1/3 of your team does zero damage? And two others (including a light who died within 30 seconds) did one shot?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Well, this match was awful. Aside the ammorack hit on the IS-3.

Ammo Rack and Arsonist in the same match.

https://i.imgur.com/sH0XSCx.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/5tfoWgY.mp4

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I think I love the SMV CC-67.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lKa_bm8VUk

http://wotreplays.eu/site/6619710

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 1, 2023

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I rolled three sets of mines as a defender on Frontlines and made it to General before the attackers could cap their first point. It isn't easy to cap the point when you can't drive onto it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://i.imgur.com/h8pL3u5.mp4

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

:hmmyes:

Worth it.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
Bullying ELCs of all types was my favorite thing to do in the LT-432.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 5, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Since the Object 140 and Jadgpanzer E100 are Top of the Tree now, I bought the T-43 and the Jagdtiger. I was initially very wary of the T-43 since it doesn't seem to be any good at all for a T7 medium, but it's turning out to actually be quite good. Decent armour, good RoF, just bad alpha is all. Feels like a better Comet. I'm sure when the matchmaker decides I don't get to just fight T7s anymore and puts me against T9s that illusion will shatter because loving lol at trying to fight T9s with this gun, but until then...

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The British wheeled mediums as a whole are not amazing, but there's some fun gems in the line. Like the T5.

But as a whole it feels like they...

- are too big
- have too bad camo
- are too slow
- have really awful turning radiuses
- have good guns with average DPMs

And generally play like bad copies of the Leopard line. I get that WG didn't want a repeat of the French wheeled lights but dudes you went a bit too far in the other direction.

E:

I swear to god it's hard to like this game sometimes.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 7, 2023

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I am just coming back after a long break from the game. Before I quit I was average but trending upwards, now I'm straight dogshit. Like sub 400 WN8. Every game I die to invisible Bourasques it feels like.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The typical experience:

How the gently caress are you supposed to win when 1/3 of your team does zero damage? And two others (including a light who died within 30 seconds) did one shot?

I'm not trying to brag, but I'm really good at doing 0 damage in a game.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Try doing more damage.

Also try slowing down your play. Unless you're top tier in a heavily armoured tank, there is no reason for you to be leading a push. At the start of the round, find a position that gives you sight lines to enemies that other players are spotting and just sit and farm damage until your team has an advantage before joining the push. If your team has hosed up and is losing, fall back to a more defensible position and repeat.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This is how we deal with camping triangles.

https://i.imgur.com/lOPaTkG.mp4

McGavin posted:

Try doing more damage.

Also try slowing down your play. Unless you're top tier in a heavily armoured tank, there is no reason for you to be leading a push. At the start of the round, find a position that gives you sight lines to enemies that other players are spotting and just sit and farm damage until your team has an advantage before joining the push. If your team has hosed up and is losing, fall back to a more defensible position and repeat.

Yeah, knowing when to push and when to hang back is one of the most important skills in the game. If you push when you shouldn't, you die in seconds. If you don't push when you should, you waste a golden opportunity that could potentially win the game. There are no hard and fast rules for it IMO, but as McGavin says, if you're not top tier you should definitely think about it extra hard before doing it.

And another thing, despite what pubbies will yell at you in the game, not every tank of $CLASS is intended to play the same way. Not all heavies are meant for brawling and pushing. Not all TDs are meant for backline sniping. Some mediums make for excellent scouts, while others super loving will not.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 10, 2023

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I wish friendly fire was still in the game. Someone drove in front of my IS-3-II double shot with gold ammo that would've been a double pen on a heavy tank. I was so bummed out i drowned myself and logged out.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

T-43 done in 26 games. Grinding out these tanks during Top of the Tree really is so fast.

I played well, but the thing really has very limited carrying capability when it goes into T9 games, which was very often. And when that happens you're at the mercy of your fuckwit teammates. But equal tier or + matchmaking? Time to bully motherfuckers!

On to the T-44 then. I guess if I'm just going for the Object 140, there's not much point in getting the 430 branch's gun?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

T-43 done in 26 games. Grinding out these tanks during Top of the Tree really is so fast.

I played well, but the thing really has very limited carrying capability when it goes into T9 games, which was very often. And when that happens you're at the mercy of your fuckwit teammates. But equal tier or + matchmaking? Time to bully motherfuckers!

On to the T-44 then. I guess if I'm just going for the Object 140, there's not much point in getting the 430 branch's gun?
I liked the T-43. Still not sure if I liked it more than the KV-13, but they both wound up being keepers in my garage.

But then so did the Tiger (P) and Carro P.88 so maybe my garage isn't really the best indicator of which tanks are good/worth keeping.

Edit:
Re: T-44 & the 122mm gun, leave it for last. Not worth mounting so there's no real purpose beyond it simply being there to stop early research of the Obj. 430.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I wish friendly fire was still in the game. Someone drove in front of my IS-3-II double shot with gold ammo that would've been a double pen on a heavy tank. I was so bummed out i drowned myself and logged out.
:smith:

I miss the days of being able to punish those dumb selfish fuckers who drive into crosssfire/shove you out of the way then proceed to do absolutely nothing worthwhile. Being able to deliver a quick shot to their drive wheel or idler and back off with a "whoops" as they got transformed into something useful such as a lump of hulldown cover were some good times.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 12, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Well as much as I liked the T-43, the T-44 just blows it out of the water. Holy poo poo this thing is good.

Yeah, it shows its age going up against Borats and whatnot, but it's fast, decently armoured, has good DPM, and is just overall a blast to play.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Well as much as I liked the T-43, the T-44 just blows it out of the water. Holy poo poo this thing is good.

Yeah, it shows its age going up against Borats and whatnot, but it's fast, decently armoured, has good DPM, and is just overall a blast to play.

Here's me. Most played tank behind the su-122-44 at 798 battles and the t-54 at 794 battles.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I liked the T-44 but had bad luck in it :smith:.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

:same:

The T-44-100 is better anyways.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

McGavin posted:

:same:

The T-44-100 is better anyways.

How does the T-44-100 compare to the normal T-44? Is it just the T-44 with the top 100mm gun, but premium? Because if so, I will definitely keep an eye out for it the next time they sell it.

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

How does the T-44-100 compare to the normal T-44? Is it just the T-44 with the top 100mm gun, but premium? Because if so, I will definitely keep an eye out for it the next time they sell it.

Yeah, pretty much. It also has a set of side skirts that make it a very handsome tank.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

T-44-100 is a T-44 with basically all of the stats improved in exchange for reduced engine hit points. The biggest improvement is a ~50% reduction in terrain resistance, so it's much more nimble than the T-44.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Super Conqueror get. So get ready for this thing to get nerfed in the next 5 minutes.

Now I gotta decide if I want to keep the Conqueror or sell it for parts.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Super Conqueror get. So get ready for this thing to get nerfed in the next 5 minutes.

Now I gotta decide if I want to keep the Conqueror or sell it for parts.

I kept mine. It is a beautiful and easy tank to play in :unsmith:.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I kept mine too, at least for now. Need to train up a new crew for it though.

Also this is my "rare offer" for today:

Some people are saying it's not that good anymore, others are saying it's still a hilarious seal clubber and 5/5 in Skill's index. Anyone have thoughts?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It's like the T95 of tier 5, in that enemies have a hard time penning you without gold, but you better pray that you went the right way at the start of the battle.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The KV-220-2 is a better Churchill III.

That said, it has been power crept, the gun is dogshit, and you need to get into practically face hugging range to make good use of it against similarly armored tanks, which leaves your weakspots open to exploitation.

When you go up against someone who doesn't know what those are and doesn't carry gold, it is hilarious, though.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The 220-2 absolutely seal-clubs people who are genuinely at tier 5 for the first time (not running gold, don't know how to wiggle the pen marker) and fails miserably against anyone playing at tier 5 for fun / seal-clubbing themselves.
For that reason I never use it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It's possibly worth noting at this point that I have a Panzer V/IV, so I don't actually NEED another seal clubber. So maybe I'll pass.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Got my first 3 Mark. The true seal clubber is the AC 4 Exp. :smugdog:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

These teams are just loving DIABOLICAL tonight, man.

One of my dailies was to win 3 games, and I got that done on my ninth game. What the gently caress are you supposed to do when you're -2 and your top tiers are literally doing one shot of damage and dying, or just dying immediately by driving off a cliff?

Also the Jagdtiger just feels absolutely awful to play these days, and it's supposed to be the superior tank compared to the Jagdpanzer E100. Most equal tier enemies can just pen your front with regular ammo, you're slow as gently caress, you don't do THAT much damage. Definitely not getting the T10 but now I'm debating if it's even worth it to grind out the Jagdtiger when things like "Italian DDs" and "Japanese DDs" exist and do the same thing so much better.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

If you're getting spotted in the Jagdtiger you're playing it wrong.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

McGavin posted:

If you're getting spotted in the Jagdtiger you're playing it wrong.

It's got the concealment of Norway though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It's got the concealment of Norway though.

Stay 445m away from the enemy. If you are closer than 445m, keep two bushes between you and the enemy at all times.