Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Ok Comboomer posted:

tbh I wouldn’t do it. It’s an EcoBoom, and I’ve never felt comfortable putting more go into them

Suspension upgrade and thicker tires is all I need

I’ve put a bunch of miles over 3 years on my Dizzy custom tune (it’s mild I’ve only done colder plugs and an air filter) but I’ve been extremely happy with it and as far as I can tell no issues so far.

As long as you don’t go ham I’ve seen plenty of higher mileage tuned Fiestas on my local group. Now the FoST owners on the other hand seem to be blowing their poo poo up left and right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

tbh I wouldn’t do it. It’s an EcoBoom, and I’ve never felt comfortable putting more go into them

Suspension upgrade and thicker tires is all I need

I thirst for more.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I’m running an OTS Cobb tune on my FiST and it’s been no issue whatsoever. I could get a Dizzy or the like, but for a daily driver the OTS is really pretty good. I only have a cat-back and panel filter anyway, nothing extreme.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I just ordered an Accessport yesterday and I can’t wait for it to get here. Dunno if I’ll do much like an intercooler swap, but for this calendar year I’m probably just gonna fiddle around with the OTS tunes and see neato gauges and stuff.

Incidentally, a guy with an RS I know has just pulled two codes for low boost and high tank fuel pressure, and I’m kinda glad I don’t have to deal with that nonsense. I don’t think he’s even got it tuned, but the FoRS is kinda pushed to the limit out of the box.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Quite A Tool posted:

I’ve put a bunch of miles over 3 years on my Dizzy custom tune (it’s mild I’ve only done colder plugs and an air filter) but I’ve been extremely happy with it and as far as I can tell no issues so far.

As long as you don’t go ham I’ve seen plenty of higher mileage tuned Fiestas on my local group. Now the FoST owners on the other hand seem to be blowing their poo poo up left and right.

Anecdotally when I was on FB groups for the FoST the guys talking about their cars blowing up were also absolute loving morons talking about doing takeovers and meeting up for roll street races and dumb poo poo

I ran a Cobb tune for 3 years with 0 issues

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Incidentally, a guy with an RS I know has just pulled two codes for low boost and high tank fuel pressure, and I’m kinda glad I don’t have to deal with that nonsense. I don’t think he’s even got it tuned, but the FoRS is kinda pushed to the limit out of the box.

Wonder if the purge solenoid failed open and he's giving the fuel tank some boost, almost like the Ford WRC cheat "boost reservoir."

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I got a 2012 TSX wagon that’s make a subtle knocking sound in the front suspension. I put tein coilovers on it about 10k miles ago, but I only started noticing it a few days ago. The car is about an inch lower than stock, and my tires are one size smaller in diameter than stock (couldn’t find BfG gforce comps in the stock size anywhere when i needed new rubber last year), so I think it’s possible that this set up put additional stress on ancillary suspension parts.

The noise: It kinda sounds like a two-tone knock instead of a singular clunk, almost like something popping out then into place. it’s pretty quiet and i only hear it when driving under 15mph; i only hear it on small bumps or road imperfections/undulations, whereas larger bumps or potholes just sound like standard suspension clunks. Over a particularly bumpy stretch of road, the noise can reach a higher frequency, almost like a rattle, although the tone is flatter and deeper than a rattle.

I don’t have my jack with me, but I snagged this pic of the upper control arm, and the bushing/boot looks like it’s torn.

Anything else I can try to diagnose without buying a new jack?

https://imgur.io/a/Tny6LIc

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
can you go over a bump on one side or the other and tell if it's isolated to that particular side?

that ball joint could be going but i wonder if it's the sway bar endlinks, pretty common cause of clunking on all sorts of cars.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
The front links looked alright, at least. I’ll try pulling on them.

I had to replace the rear end links last year, so it’s quite possible that one of those cheapo autozone brand parts poo poo the bed already

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Big thanks again to MunchE for selling me a Cobb rear engine mount, just had it installed. I can definitely feel a difference, power delivery seems less….floppy.

Now to wait until the used certified warranty expires to install the basic Cobb tune. :getin:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
just lol if you dont just "void" your warranty. burden of proof still is on the automaker to prove your modifications had negative impact on the warranty claim. yes they pitch a fus but legit the law is on your side here. mostly kinda.

some times

depending i guess on locale

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
that being said just flashback to stock a pro will notice the low hours but shrug

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
A reminder as well that there is no such thing as "voiding the warranty".

*Relevant* modifications can be grounds for denial of a warranty claim, if it's actually plausible that the modification caused the problem you can probably assume the mods will be considered "guilty until proven innocent", but the warranty remains in force as defined for anything unaffected by the modification.

If you break the motor, transmission, etc. then sure, they're probably going to look for evidence of power adders unless there is a well known problem affecting unmodified vehicles, but if you take your car in to get the air conditioning serviced you could leave the AccessPort attached to your pillar and it's not going to matter.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

wolrah posted:

A reminder as well that there is no such thing as "voiding the warranty".

*Relevant* modifications can be grounds for denial of a warranty claim, if it's actually plausible that the modification caused the problem you can probably assume the mods will be considered "guilty until proven innocent", but the warranty remains in force as defined for anything unaffected by the modification.

If you break the motor, transmission, etc. then sure, they're probably going to look for evidence of power adders unless there is a well known problem affecting unmodified vehicles, but if you take your car in to get the air conditioning serviced you could leave the AccessPort attached to your pillar and it's not going to matter.

I agree for most of this post, but there are certain things that can result in nothing being covered under a warranty. An example would be if your car is totaled and later repaired, the factory warranty won’t be honored in any aspect.

Here’s the VW language for reference:

The stolen piece is interesting, if it’s stolen and recovered, they could in theory make the claim that the warranty is void.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

devmd01 posted:

Big thanks again to MunchE for selling me a Cobb rear engine mount, just had it installed. I can definitely feel a difference, power delivery seems less….floppy.

Now to wait until the used certified warranty expires to install the basic Cobb tune. :getin:

Awesome man, glad it worked out

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Popped the hood and found a snack

https://imgur.com/a/0EEE2gA

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
ok fine, fine, stage 1 87 octane is installed. Might try out the 93 tune once I get a couple of tanks of it through.

The $35 3-D printed a-pillar clamp mount on amazon is pretty solid, no complaints. Very happy with even the basic mild tune, combined with the rear engine mount it is so much more responsive all around on the throttle. My wife has no idea that it's more than a computer that lets you monitor things.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

devmd01 posted:

ok fine, fine, stage 1 87 octane is installed. Might try out the 93 tune once I get a couple of tanks of it through.

The $35 3-D printed a-pillar clamp mount on amazon is pretty solid, no complaints. Very happy with even the basic mild tune, combined with the rear engine mount it is so much more responsive all around on the throttle. My wife has no idea that it's more than a computer that lets you monitor things.

Glad everything worked man! That mount looks cool

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

devmd01 posted:

https://youtu.be/TGm2Q4jUV8Y?si=-fcrvFBa4fNOqPUv

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

devmd01 posted:

My wife has no idea that it's more than a computer that lets you monitor things.

This makes me sad! Why can't you tell her all the cool things it does?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Oh I can, she just wouldn’t really care (but not in a negative way like she doesn’t want to listen to me). To her, cars are an unfortunate necessity to get from A to B that you have to spend lots of money on.

She doesn’t get cars the way those of us posting in this sub forum do. The only thing she cared about when buying this one was if there was enough room for all three kids in the back.

If true FSD from any manufacturer was available she would be a huge fan and use it constantly.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Popped the hood to check the washer fluid levels and found a snack and a bandaid!

The inter-dimensional portal to a landfill is lowkey Acura's best feature

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8baRV_fhMI

Fenske says its better than an M2

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That'll make the internet mad

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
welp, the driver side front strut I installed on my TSX last summer (tein street advance Z) is blown out after only 8k miles. new york roads claim another victim.

Woulda rather spent that $300 on a new sway bar, but oh well.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Head Bee Guy posted:

(tein street advance Z)

is there any way to generate a nude tein?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

I hear that's legal in Tijuana.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Ok Comboomer posted:

A fellow Dampatty fan I see

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

Not computing. Please repeat.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Fifty Three posted:

Not computing. Please repeat.

NUDE TAIN

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8K6QUPmv8Q

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
lol

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
93 octane tune is a very good time. Definitely need to have the tires warmed up before putting any good load on them.

Found a friend in the Lowe’s parking lot:

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I love finding ST buddies in the wild.

This rain needs to stop, though- I need some therapy, and by "therapy" I mean "driving as much like an absolute maniac as possible without getting arrested or damaging anything expensive."

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I spent two weeks driving around Europe in a base Opel Corsa 3-cylinder with 74hp. My FiST in comparison is an unhinged lunatic. It’s not the fastest car I own but the massive torque steer and turbo noises are always a riot.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Took the afternoon off and drove to visit a friend/coworker an hour away….in the fun part of the state. Took the scenic route there, with lots of hills and twisties including some sketchy gravel roads through a state forest.

Nothing too stupid, it is deer season after all.

I should get some splash/mud guards, I’m gonna ask for rally sport ones for Christmas.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

:unsmith: We are back

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Solus posted:

:unsmith: We are back

keep it, take care of it and also get a Gen11

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
looks so much better in white than black, nice job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
the Gen10 Type R looks best in white, and then the robins egg blue and special edition yellow are tied for second

but in white it just looks like a Gundam head driving around :3: