Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Evan williams bottled in bond for value, I am willing to be corrected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
$20-30: Evan Williams BIB, OGD BIB, OGD 114, Wild Turkey 101, Buffalo Trace, Weller Special Reserve
$30-40: Elijah Craig Small Batch, Four Roses Small Batch, Eagle Rare, 1792 Small Batch, Larceny Small Batch
$40-50: New Riff BIB, Russell's Reserve 10 year, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Four Roses Single Barrel, EH Taylor Small Batch, Maker's Mark, Woodford
$50-60: Old Forester 1897/1910/1920, Heaven Hill BIB, this is sort of a dead zone
$60-70: Woodford Double Oak, Four Roses Small Batch Select, Larceny Barrel Proof, Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, Henry McKenna 10 year, Baker's 7 Year Single Barrel
$70-80: Knob Creek 12, Blanton's

I think everything I listed is pretty good value for the price. This is based on what's available in Pennsylvania.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If you're in Europe Buffalo Trace isn't a good deal because it's only 40% ABV here.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Lyon posted:

I think everything I listed is pretty good value for the price. This is based on what's available in Pennsylvania.

PA is rough because of the markup by the control board, same with NC and a few other states that have built alcohol profits into their yearly budget, but that’s a cool list. I’ll preface this lil’ rant with an invitation- if any of y’all head to Louisville, DM me and I will happily take you somewhere nice for a dram.

So I’ve been doing this for almost twenty years (!), and I have tried whiskey(ies) that you cannot buy, ones that don’t exist anymore, every premium and super premium offering that I could get my hands on.

I can’t remember how half of them taste. The “best” bourbon I’ve ever had have been with people, in particular situations, making memories. Buy what you like, what you can afford (stretch a little maybe?) and *drink them*. Drink them with friends. Drink them on the porch with the dogs after a long week. Drink them to celebrate, drink them when things don’t go your way (but gently). Buy your favorite weird ones, because you never know when they’re gonna go away (OGD 114, for instance, is always on the chopping block because it can make more money as Basil Hayden’s). Buy ones at a distillery because it was a beautiful day and you remember the smell of the mash- I’ve never had a bottle of Maker’s White Dog make it all the way home, for instance.

Value is a similar proposition- it’s going to depend on your budget. Here in KY, we get stuff that doesn’t leave the Commonwealth (like the JTS Brown BiB noted above). My go-to is Very Old Barton 100, aged about three years. It costs $15 a fifth. When I was living in NYC it was OGD Bonded. Old Forester 86 label is a banger, as is Wild Turkey 101. The big house bourbons are excellent because they have so much stock it’s easy to make a consistent product. If I want a great value, smaller producers that create good product abound- I love the Peerless Rye, for instance, but it’s worth the $70 and change. Drink Willet where you can find it.

Oh, and the best whiskies I ever drank? Both of them in the last three years. One was a high-rye 6 year Bardstown Bourbon Co from the barrel, which my Mom who was visiting for the first time at Easter declared to be her favorite, because it was her first time in a Rickhouse and seeing what I’ve been doing with my career for the last fifteen years. The other was rail shots of Old Crow on the night I met my fiancée at a dive bar in Brooklyn.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

drat, I didn’t mean to kill this dead. Prompt- which small, newer makers are people enjoying? I saw New Riff in the chat, anything else I should keep an eye out for?

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

bloody ghost titty posted:

drat, I didn’t mean to kill this dead. Prompt- which small, newer makers are people enjoying? I saw New Riff in the chat, anything else I should keep an eye out for?

I have a soft spot for the Chattanooga Whiskey folks. I like their single barrels especially. I’m in the northeast TN region so distribution is pretty good.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

I'm in Northern California, so not exactly the heart of whiskey country, but I've been seeing more and more of Lost Republic (founded 2013) and Redwood Empire (founded 2015) and enjoying both quite a lot. I'd like to dive deeper into their lineups, they have four and eight different whiskeys, respectively. And of course St. George always has interesting stuff, but they're not new (1982) and can be a bit pricey.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Is Pikesville a smaller producer? I have to stop myself from buying it because I drink too much of it AND it's higher proof.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Driftless Glen and Dancing Goat in WI are doing some pretty good stuff.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Nuurd posted:

I have a soft spot for the Chattanooga Whiskey folks. I like their single barrels especially. I’m in the northeast TN region so distribution is pretty good.

Are they doing their own distilling? I don’t know that I’ve seen it up in KY but we are going to Boone after Labor Day and I might have to pop into a shop if you think it’s something special.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Macaloneys Canadian Single Malt is really good

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

The Chad Jihad posted:

Evan williams bottled in bond for value, I am willing to be corrected

Seconded. One of my go-tos.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Casu Marzu posted:

Driftless Glen and Dancing Goat in WI are doing some pretty good stuff.

I'm a big fan of another Wisconsin distillery, J Henry. Little more expensive, but it's my go-to for a nice quality bottle.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
Extremely disappointed in the route Bruichladdich has taken over the past 5-6 years.

Rare releases like Octomore and Black art have gone from 200ish to over 800

Cuvee has gone from 150 to over 1k

Classic ladde is no longer age stated, doesnt taste nearly as good as my old age stated bottles, used to be a 12, 18 and 21 version.

Port Charlotte is no longer a limited release, but has stagnated into another perpetual non age stated offering.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Coco13 posted:

I'm a big fan of another Wisconsin distillery, J Henry. Little more expensive, but it's my go-to for a nice quality bottle.

Oh right, idk how I forgot about them. They have pretty dope bourbons.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Arione posted:

Port Charlotte is no longer a limited release, but has stagnated into another perpetual non age stated offering.

Disagree with you there, first of all the standard bottling carries a perfectly respectable 10 year age statement and secondly PC10 is at this time probably the best value Islay whisky out there. It's great quality, age stated, naturally presented (non chill filtered and natural color) and bottled at a hefty 50% ABV.

Ardbeg 10 used to be the king in that segment. 10yo, 46%, NCF and NC, affordable, consistent in quality, etc. However, prices have gone up and quality has become inconsistent. Their cynical marketing of ridiculously overpriced special releases aimed at the collectors is also souring people to the brand. The Ardbeg 10 is still decent value, but not as good as the PC10. And prices are climbing still, so it's not getting any better.

Lagavulin 16, despite the low ABV (43%), chill filtering and added caramel coloring, was still incredibly good value. Unfortunately in recent years the price almost doubled and it's no longer worth it.

Laphroaig 10 isn't even in the same league with it's weaksauce 40% ABV (43% in North America). Despite it's reputation it's actually pretty weak and watery. Also chill filtered and coloring added.

Kilhoman is getting close quality-wise, but they've yet to release and age stated bottling.

Yeah nah, as far as I'm concerned PC10 is the king of Islay rn.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
That doesn't excuse black art going from 250 to 800 in only a few years

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

spankmeister posted:

Disagree with you there, first of all the standard bottling carries a perfectly respectable 10 year age statement and secondly PC10 is at this time probably the best value Islay whisky out there. It's great quality, age stated, naturally presented (non chill filtered and natural color) and bottled at a hefty 50% ABV.

Ardbeg 10 used to be the king in that segment. 10yo, 46%, NCF and NC, affordable, consistent in quality, etc. However, prices have gone up and quality has become inconsistent. Their cynical marketing of ridiculously overpriced special releases aimed at the collectors is also souring people to the brand. The Ardbeg 10 is still decent value, but not as good as the PC10. And prices are climbing still, so it's not getting any better.

Lagavulin 16, despite the low ABV (43%), chill filtering and added caramel coloring, was still incredibly good value. Unfortunately in recent years the price almost doubled and it's no longer worth it.

Laphroaig 10 isn't even in the same league with it's weaksauce 40% ABV (43% in North America). Despite it's reputation it's actually pretty weak and watery. Also chill filtered and coloring added.

Kilhoman is getting close quality-wise, but they've yet to release and age stated bottling.

Yeah nah, as far as I'm concerned PC10 is the king of Islay rn.

pretty sure the 10 is the edition as there was a PC-1-9 already

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Arione posted:

pretty sure the 10 is the edition as there was a PC-1-9 already

It says "10 aged years" on the label.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Deceptive Thinker posted:

exactly and I believe BA4 was the last one Jim did. I've moved on to other distillers at this point. The only bottle I bought in that range was the JW&S Odyssey like 8 years ago.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

spankmeister posted:

It says "10 aged years" on the label.

I'll be damned, you are correct

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Will continue to shill for my folks' place, Bear Wallow Distillery in Brown County, Indiana.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

As far as new distilleries go from Scotland, I've been enjoying Lochlea and Raasay.

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

Are they doing their own distilling? I don’t know that I’ve seen it up in KY but we are going to Boone after Labor Day and I might have to pop into a shop if you think it’s something special.

Yeah they’re distilling now, and for some years. I think only their products marked “1816” were sourced, and that has been a minute.

I won’t claim that it’s special in the sense of some kind of event or life change. It’s solid (imo) and my palate is compatible with the mash bill. I also like that they have successfully navigated that source-to-distillation trek and want to support them.

In Boone you’ll be in NC, which is an ABC state. If they have anything I imagine it will be their standard 91 and 111 proof offerings, and maybe also their rye at 99 proof.

The 111 is pretty ok as a daily sipper but if you have the option for any single barrel it’s always better. They’re haphazardly stocked enough that I wouldn’t try to actively track one down on a quick trip. It’s worth trying, as is the rye (which I like).

You may also still find their Cabernet cask finish or their Founder’s releases. Both are an improvement over the everyday 111 but no idea how stock works over in NC.

When I’m in a good mood visiting family in Knoxville, I’ll sometimes hit their “experimental” distillery down in Chattanooga, which is about an hour away from there. They have periodic oddball releases down their that can be quite solid, and usually 4-6 years of age. Not bad for a new company.

I have a somewhat embarrassing number of their bottles opened where I’ve bought and tried them. Maybe I’ll do a write up at some point if there’s any interest.

Don’t set high expectations based on some internet guy, but don’t underestimate what they’re making either. It’s worth a try!

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

spankmeister posted:

As far as new distilleries go from Scotland, I've been enjoying Lochlea and Raasay.

I bought some Lochlea and enjoyed it in the 2-3 pours I’ve had. I’ve seen Raasay but not tried. Seems like they have several different styles in the store. Do you have a recommended one?

Recently I’ve been doing more buying than drinking. I’ve been specifically trying to branch into some of the less traditional countries like Germany, Denmark, Sweden, and most recently the Faroe Islands. Mostly just bottles in a pile though, but nice options to break out if I have a guest.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nuurd posted:

I bought some Lochlea and enjoyed it in the 2-3 pours I’ve had. I’ve seen Raasay but not tried. Seems like they have several different styles in the store. Do you have a recommended one?
Honestly just their regular Single Malt release. They have 2 core range releases each year and there's batch variation but it just keeps getting better and better imo. Currently R-01.2 is the latest from May 2023 and R-02.1 came out last year September, so likely R-02.2 will be out soon.

If you like Lochlea you'll like Raasay I think. They're quite different, one being lowland the other island whisky, but they're both quite similar in being high quality spirit with lots of viscosity and flavor aged in "modern" oak casks.

Raasay is lightly peated though so be aware of that.

quote:

Recently I’ve been doing more buying than drinking. I’ve been specifically trying to branch into some of the less traditional countries like Germany, Denmark, Sweden, and most recently the Faroe Islands. Mostly just bottles in a pile though, but nice options to break out if I have a guest.

Indri Single malt from India has been making waves online lately and having tried it it's not undeserved. Very nice stuff. Very very fruity.

And as a Dutchman I have to shill for Millstone a bit. It's from a traditional Jenever (genever/gin) distillery in the south of The Netherlands very close to the Belgian border, they started making whisky i wanna say 15 years or so ago and imo they have some fantastic sherried style whisky and peated also. Millstone 12 Oloroso is as good as any old-style sherry matured scotch. The peated PX is great as well.

(you miiight have heard of the town it's the one that has crazy borders going though houses and has enclaves inside exclaves inside enclaves etc.)

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

spankmeister posted:

Honestly just their regular Single Malt release. They have 2 core range releases each year and there's batch variation but it just keeps getting better and better imo. Currently R-01.2 is the latest from May 2023 and R-02.1 came out last year September, so likely R-02.2 will be out soon.

If you like Lochlea you'll like Raasay I think. They're quite different, one being lowland the other island whisky, but they're both quite similar in being high quality spirit with lots of viscosity and flavor aged in "modern" oak casks.

Indri Single malt from India has been making waves online lately and having tried it it's not undeserved. Very nice stuff. Very very fruity.

And as a Dutchman I have to shill for Millstone a bit. It's from a traditional Jenever (genever/gin) distillery in the south of The Netherlands very close to the Belgian border, they started making whisky i wanna say 15 years or so ago and imo they have some fantastic sherried style whisky and peated also. Millstone 12 Oloroso is as good as any old-style sherry matured scotch. The peated PX is great as well.

(you miiight have heard of the town it's the one that has crazy borders going though houses and has enclaves inside exclaves inside enclaves etc.)

Cool thanks for the hints. Didn’t have Millstone on my radar.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Nuurd posted:

My son is in Chattanooga and sent some back home (Memphis-area) around Christmas. It’s the only whiskey my Dad has bought since…he really enjoys it!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I don't follow anything to do with regular Bruichladdich at all. Never liked the style.

Port Charlotte really is where it's at. Might as well be a completely different distillery.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nuurd posted:

Cool thanks for the hints. Didn’t have Millstone on my radar.

Oh and speaking of new scotch distilleries let's not forget about Ardnamurchan, their cask strength is an absolute stunner. They're almost 10 years going now so not quite as new as Lochlea or Raasay but it also means their stocks are deeper and they can come out with some fantastic releases.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I still don't think Caol Ila 12 year gets enough love in the Islay world. It's like it's respectibly good whiskey, but not hip enough to Garner the following Ardbeg or Bruichladdich garnered over the last 15ish or so years.

I admittedly haven't tried Port Charlotte though.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I still don't think Caol Ila 12 year gets enough love in the Islay world. It's like it's respectibly good whiskey, but not hip enough to Garner the following Ardbeg or Bruichladdich garnered over the last 15ish or so years.

I admittedly haven't tried Port Charlotte though.

Caol Ila is fantastic.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Yeah. If you want a briney Islay rather than a smoke bomb, caol Isla 12 is ocean and olive oil and black pepper and it’s just fantastic when you’re in the mood.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Muir posted:

I'm in Northern California, so not exactly the heart of whiskey country, but I've been seeing more and more of Lost Republic (founded 2013) and Redwood Empire (founded 2015) and enjoying both quite a lot. I'd like to dive deeper into their lineups, they have four and eight different whiskeys, respectively. And of course St. George always has interesting stuff, but they're not new (1982) and can be a bit pricey.

Thanks for lettting me know about these. I'm from the Ukiah area and between these and Charbay I'm starting to think there's plenty of good gift ideas for my trips home (both giving and getting lol).

I mean wine and all but sometimes you gotta branch out

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

I’m shocked we’ve done so much Islay chat and no one is standing for Bowmore. The 17 was a brilliant dram.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Thanks for lettting me know about these. I'm from the Ukiah area and between these and Charbay I'm starting to think there's plenty of good gift ideas for my trips home (both giving and getting lol).

I mean wine and all but sometimes you gotta branch out

And thank you for letting me know about Charbay -- I'll keep my eye out for them locally.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I’m shocked we’ve done so much Islay chat and no one is standing for Bowmore. The 17 was a brilliant dram.

Bowmore is one of the worst Islays. They have a few great releases here and there (I'll take your word for the 17 as I haven't tried it but the Vault Edition releases come to mind) but the vast majority of their range is weak, colored and filtered to death, overpriced and stupidly marketed (Aston Martin editions anyone?) It's sad because they have some of the most beautiful whisky (if you manage to get an unadulterated sample from their warehouse tastings for example, oh my) but the way they process and market their whisky just kills it. Such a shame.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sorry I don't mean to knock anyone's favorites or be old man who yells at cloud but large corporations ruining whisky really pisses me off. Diageo, Beam Suntory, Edrington, loving Louis Vuitton Moët Hennessy. These companies won't just let the whisky be, it has to be "premiumized".

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

spankmeister posted:

Ok I deviated slightly and picked up the Raasay single cask, peated ex-bordeaux. I had only a very small pour this afternoon, but a good first impression. The store also had the peated oak single cask and the general “lightly peated” blended release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
EDIT - I'm a dummy who posted in the wrong thread

Bo-Pepper fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 4, 2023