Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Disposable Scud posted:

I tried watching that Eric Bana sketch show from the mid 90's and it was impenetrable. I could only understand about 5% of what was being said.

Why not watch an actual good show, like Utopia (with Rob Stitch)…or Russell Coight’s All Aussie Adventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Original Wilfred? I honestly forget if that was good

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

So I don't come across sounding like the Critical drinker, Dungeons and Dragons is on Amazon Prime and it's excellent. Michelle Rodriquez is fantastic and they gave her a lot to do.

And even though there's a fetch quest, they do interesting things with it and its not the whole plot.

This movie is one of the best movies I've seen this year. I was genuinely shocked at how good it was - I don't think I've heard anyone complaining about it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Medullah posted:

This movie is one of the best movies I've seen this year. I was genuinely shocked at how good it was - I don't think I've heard anyone complaining about it.

Yeah just about everyone I knew was kinda expecting it to be mediocre at best, a sort of "Marvel movie fantasy edition" deal, but then it released and surprised us all by being really loving good. Just all around a super fun time.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

toggle posted:

Why not watch an actual good show, like Utopia (with Rob Stitch)…or Russell Coight’s All Aussie Adventures.

Frayed on MAX and Fisk on Netflix are both solid Aussie comedies. I'd watch Frayed first, Fisk is more charming in a "Schitt's Creek meets Curb Your Enthusiasm" kind of way.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Medullah posted:

i thought the "humor" was too quippy, the movie slightly too self-aware and modern but it was otherwise pretty decent 👍

i remember liking the autistic paladin the most

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
That Erin Carter show on Netflix sucks. HARD.

I should've known better than to try it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Medullah posted:

Just found out that it was written and directed by one of the kids from Freaks and Geeks which is perfect

Also that it did a so so performance at the box office which us why there's been no announcement of a sequel

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Well Ashoka is terrible. She's looking for a guy for some reason, but first she has to find the ancient map to the guy (??) and the map is protected by a puzzle. We watch her solve the puzzle for several minutes, without knowing what the puzzle is or how she's solving it. When she finds the map it's not a map but a ball, and when she tells other people she found the map they don't correct her. In Star Wars you can look at a ball and know where a guy is.

We spend several minutes watching her solve a puzzle so that she can find a puzzle ball. Instead of trying to solve the puzzle ball herself, despite the series just having told us that she's good at solving puzzles, she goes and meets her former protege to ask her to solve it instead.

This protege is introduced to us as being anti-authority, and when she is told (by her former master, an authority) not to take the puzzle ball away to solve the puzzle because it could be stolen, she, shockingly, does. Ahsoka is shocked that her anti-authority former protege defied her authority.

The protege then takes the puzzle ball home (to the one building that exists outside of the city, with a highway leading directly to it) and twists the puzzle ball twice to immediately solve the puzzle. Then, shockingly, the puzzle ball is stolen. Ahsoka then laments that she shouldn't have trusted her protege to have changed her ways, despite being given no evidence that she had.

It's not the dumbest Star Wars poo poo I've seen, but it's close.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

feedmyleg posted:

We spend several minutes watching her solve a puzzle so that she can find a puzzle ball. Instead of trying to solve the puzzle ball herself, despite the series just having told us that she's good at solving puzzles, she goes and meets her former protege to ask her to solve it instead.

This protege is introduced to us as being anti-authority, and when she is told (by her former master, an authority) not to take the puzzle ball away to solve the puzzle because it could be stolen, she, shockingly, does. Ahsoka is shocked that her anti-authority former protege defied her authority.

The protege then takes the puzzle ball home (to the one building that exists outside of the city, with a highway leading directly to it) and twists the puzzle ball twice to immediately solve the puzzle. Then, shockingly, the puzzle ball is stolen. Ahsoka then laments that she shouldn't have trusted her protege to have changed her ways, despite being given no evidence that she had.

It's not the dumbest Star Wars poo poo I've seen, but it's close.

She does have a very cute space cat who she feeds space kibble.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Shageletic posted:

Just found out that it was written and directed by one of the kids from Freaks and Geeks which is perfect

John Francis Daley still does some acting, but a few years ago he pivoted to more writing/directing. He did Spider-man Homecoming, the Vacation remake, and The Flash.

It's wild how stacked the cast from F&G ended up being.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Watching Ricochet on Tubi and my god what an absolute banger. Take notes Kevin feige, comic book people, christopher nolan's "The Dark knight", ETC

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

Funny how blue skies no longer exist on any planet in the Star Wars galaxy, though. Every daytime exterior is under this gray hazy sky for no good reason.

I thought it was a cool design decision that Godzilla '97 took place in the rain, but it turns out overcast skies are a cheat code for CGI compositing because they eliminate shadows and sun direction.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Shageletic posted:

Original Wilfred? I honestly forget if that was good

It was pretty funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cESCpSix1Js

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

It's fun that you can make two shows entirely distinct in genre and style, both pretty funny, about such a specific concept

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Disposable Scud posted:

I tried watching that Eric Bana sketch show from the mid 90's and it was impenetrable. I could only understand about 5% of what was being said.

I remember exactly one sketch from Fast Foward from when I was a kid, Eric Bana is moping on the verandah and Magda Szubanski comes up and asks him whats wrong and he says "I miss dad all the time" and she says "aw, well I got you a little something that might help", hands him a present, he unwraps it, it's a rifle scope, he's elated, pulls out a rifle and puts it on, shoots his dad whose running serpentine in the yard in the head. Thought that was the funniest poo poo ever when I was like seven

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 30, 2023

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Speaking of Eric Bana, it's weird to me that the quintessential Australian comedy movie never caught on outside like the Ozploitation or stylish dramas did
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTA584iCoSU

Maybe comedy is just hard to translate

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 30, 2023

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Reminded of the time my buddy invited me over to try his homemade absinthe, which he made from a tree in his backyard, then put on a dvd of Wake in Fright after we had been drinking a bit

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

That sounds like a buddy that needs to go straight to the pool room

E: I just rewatchewd it and contains the spectrum of good as hell lines from "dale dug a hole" to "you can acquire a house, but you can't acquire a home. Because a home isnt built of bricks and mortor but love and memories"

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 30, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
GOD drat the Justified City Primeval finale was dogshit lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As much as I want to poo poo on Disney plus, it’s insanely nice to just be able to rewatch so much of the stuff I loved as a kid whenever I want. Good era Simpsons, cool runnings, sword in the stone whatever.

I usually consume mostly bleak media. But I’ve been in a really bad headspace lately and it’s nice to just be able to watch stuff that makes me feel like a kid again.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

veni veni veni posted:

As much as I want to poo poo on Disney plus, it’s insanely nice to just be able to rewatch so much of the stuff I loved as a kid whenever I want. Good era Simpsons, cool runnings, sword in the stone whatever.

I usually consume mostly bleak media. But I’ve been in a really bad headspace lately and it’s nice to just be able to watch stuff that makes me feel like a kid again.

Also Owlhouse and Amphibia

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

veni veni veni posted:

Agreed. This doesn't excite the shareholders but I thought about the quantity of Disney-owned things I'd like to watch someday and realized it'd be cheaper in the next several years to subscribe rather than buy them all individually. I think it's worth paying the fee to functionally have all these stupid movies on retainer in 4K.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah for me a lot of the value of Disney+ is just the back catalog, especially since I basically missed most of the Disney renaissance as a kid. I saw Beauty and the Beast in theaters and that was it, so it was nice to actually watch The Little Mermaid and The Lion King and be like "Oh that's why people went crazy for that poo poo".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I liked episode one of one piece.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Glottis posted:

I think it's worth paying the fee to functionally have all these stupid movies on retainer in 4K.

Yeah this is what we use it for. Their new content is barely a trickle and not good .. but the kids are always pulling up some older movie like once a day

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

mcmagic posted:

GOD drat the Justified City Primeval finale was dogshit lol

Yeah the show really seemed like a handjob that ended with a fart. I really liked the villain, the finale of that was dumb. I did like the way the show had Rayland retire so he could spend time with his kid as he realized how important that was and how dangerous his job was.

I did NOT like them then turning that on it's head and having Boyd escape for sequel bait. The regular series finale had a fantastic end conversation with the two of them, his story is over, as much as I love him.

On the other hand, Natalie Zea is almost 50 and still goddamn gorgeous

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I have young kids and Disney+ pretty much instantly became the best money I'd ever spent the second the pandemic started. Since then we discovered bluey, so it remains the best money I've ever spent.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Pray they don't discover the new god awful chip and dale cartoons cause my kids just did and I hate it. GO BACK TO BLUEY DAMMIT

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Medullah posted:

Yeah the show really seemed like a handjob that ended with a fart. I really liked the villain, the finale of that was dumb. I did like the way the show had Rayland retire so he could spend time with his kid as he realized how important that was and how dangerous his job was.

I did NOT like them then turning that on it's head and having Boyd escape for sequel bait. The regular series finale had a fantastic end conversation with the two of them, his story is over, as much as I love him.

On the other hand, Natalie Zea is almost 50 and still goddamn gorgeous

The funny thing about it was that the show wasn't really bad overall. The middle few episodes were interesting but the ending was just a big fat loving wet fart of nothing. Actually pretty disappointing imo.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Bluey on Disney+ is really good. Great show for kids and a masterclass in parenting.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

dont get the hype around bluey, but I also dont have kids. its better than paw patrol at least. when I was little I watched ren & stimpy

just caught up on the newish season of sunny in philly, lots of good episodes in there. I'll probably watch this show until they stop making it

looks like new archers dropped on hulu. I'm also watching this show until its officially dead, although without jessica walter it rings pretty hollow

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 31, 2023

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

dont get the hype around bluey, but I also dont have kids. its better than paw patrol at least. when I was little I watched ren & stimpy

just caught up on the newish season of sunny in philly, lots of good episodes in there. I'll probably watch this show until they stop making it

looks like new archers dropped on hulu. I'm also watching this show until its officially dead, although without jessica walter it rings pretty hollow

I need to watch it, least season with the Jan. 6 stuff and the trip to Ireland was so good

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Papercut posted:

I need to watch it, least season with the Jan. 6 stuff and the trip to Ireland was so good

I liked last season too. think this season is better

for more Olyphant check out Full Circle, its a miniseries. the cast is stacked

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

A MIRACLE posted:

dont get the hype around bluey, but I also dont have kids.

It's a great cartoon for young kids but it is a cartoon show for young kids. It's super relatable for modern parents, high in emotional intelligence, and not actively irritating to watch so it absolutely laps the competition for parents forced to watch kid tv.

That said, watching Bluey without kids is a sign of clinical depression.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Papercut posted:

Man, bluey goes in some strange directions

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

"On today's episode Bluey dresses like a shaman!"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

B-Rock452 posted:

Pray they don't discover the new god awful chip and dale cartoons cause my kids just did and I hate it. GO BACK TO BLUEY DAMMIT

Park Life is good and pretty weird, but the new season also makes it clear they are a couple. They sleep in the same bed and kiss each other goodnight.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Baron von Eevl posted:

Park Life is good and pretty weird, but the new season also makes it clear they are a couple. They sleep in the same bed and kiss each other goodnight.

Well guess I will let them keep watching... Haven't gotten there yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Blueys life matters