Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Vandar posted:

Part of me is an absolute bastard that wants a Love & Monsters saga just to see how they'd handle it.

Thanks, I hate this!

Its one of the few episodes I know the name of because it's so terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Vandar posted:

Part of me is an absolute bastard that wants a Love & Monsters saga just to see how they'd handle it.

Love & Monsters 2W

Enchantment - Saga

1 - Create a 1/1 Human creature token

2 - Sacrifice a creature, then destroy target non-human creature an opponent controls

3 - Create a 0/1 Construct Horror creature token named Fuckpaver

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

blitzkreig.bmp posted:

It doesn't, but it reads like complete AI nonsense if you read that card without any knowledge of Dr Who
It really does, to someone whose knowledge of Doctor Who is limited to general nerd osmosis, both of those sagas look like bad third party cards.

I guess it's nice that it works for fans of the show at least.

Sickening posted:

Since we are making GBS threads out so much product , can't we get more retro frame reprints? I don't give a poo poo about the 12x version of foils that all suck. I care modern era cards in old frames because they look, feel, and smell so goooood.
:yeah:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So wizards is finally tying arena together with in store play, which is cool and a total no brainer. Except it’s like, earning some XP. Extremely lame lol. At least give like, an online version of the fnm promo or something.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Man remember when you got cool promos in the mail just for playing????

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Never forget they just obliterated the DCI and all that match history. If they wanted to integrate the two they already had the system

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So wizards is finally tying arena together with in store play, which is cool and a total no brainer. Except it’s like, earning some XP. Extremely lame lol. At least give like, an online version of the fnm promo or something.

Serious arena players would spill blood for wild cards. Vault progress would be smaller stakes for the whole thing. It's so obvious and yet manages to fall short.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

HootTheOwl posted:

Never forget they just obliterated the DCI and all that match history. If they wanted to integrate the two they already had the system

I still have my DCI card with my low 5 digit DCI number from 1997 just in case they bring it back

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Sickening posted:

Since we are making GBS threads out so much product , can't we get more retro frame reprints? I don't give a poo poo about the 12x version of foils that all suck. I care modern era cards in old frames because they look, feel, and smell so goooood.
Shocklands come in January! How many are you going to get? All 40?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Fritzler posted:

Is this real? If so, yeah all 40

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Time posted:

Is this real? If so, yeah all 40

ravnica remastered baby

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Fritzler posted:

Is this even a question?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Mix. posted:

ravnica remastered baby

Absolutely slotting these into decks.

Also just won the local paper pauper league with uw inside out. Anyone interested in a tournament report?

I’ve been on a real heater lately.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mix. posted:

ravnica remastered baby

Okay but where’s the real art not a photograph of somewhere in Italy or Spain

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Mezzanon posted:

Also just won the local paper pauper league with uw inside out. Anyone interested in a tournament report?

I’ve been on a real heater lately.

:justpost:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Deck: modern UW Hammer

Creatures:

4x tireless tribe
4x squadron hawk
(8)

Instant:

2x Whiteout
2x blacksmiths skill
2x impulse
3x peek
4x inside out
4x brainstorm
4x circular logic
(21)

Sorcery:

4x ponder
4x preordain
(8)

Artifact:

4x wedding invitation
(4)

Lands:

2x snow covered plain
9x snow covered island
4x evolving wilds
4x ash barrens
(19)

(60)

Sideboard:

1x echoing truth
3x blue elemental blast
2x standard bearer
1x holy light
1x student of ojutai
2x dispel
3x gigadrowse
2x spell pierce
(15)

R1 vs orzhov pestilence
No idea on die roll
Win 2-0

G1: opponent taps out for a pestilence that I counter. He is tapped out, I win game

G2: Terry makes a misplay by going for unmake on my combo turn instead of double disfigure and instead he gets blown out by double spell pierce

R2 vs orzhov pestilence
No idea on die roll
Win 2-0

G1: sunshine isn’t clear on what the combo do until I show him.

G2: long back and forth game, I get to a low life total but have blacksmiths skill first, then combo off.

R3 vs mono blue faeries
Lose die roll
Lose 1-2

G1: opponent is unsure how the combo works until I show him

G2: back and forth game but ninja of the deep hours draws too many cards

G3: I misplay around a spellstutter sprite and then die to double mutagenic growth with the game wrapped up the next turn.

R4 vs mono white heroic
Lose die roll
Lose 0-2

G1: I keep a 1 lander that can turn 2 if I draw a land, or just win if I draw a second land. I got through 5 cantrips and brainstorm lock myself as a last resort. Lose to mono white beats

G2: I look at 30 cards trying to find a tireless tribe. Finally get one. Did you know mono white heroic has a creature that makes you block it and not the much larger creature they have enchanted?

R5 vs Morgan in makeshift munitions/first day of class combo

G1: my main element is: surprise (my opponent doesn’t know what the combo do)

G2: I make a huge punt by bouncing the wrong spell and get combo’d out

G3: I get the T3

Squeak into top 8 on breakers woooo

Top 8 r1 against skreddie (izzet serpentine curve)
He’s top seed
Win 2-0

G1: opponent is super nice, and pleasant to play against. He must have been drawing like hot fire the first 5 rounds though because I play circles around him and get the combo

G2: an extremely weird game where I play all 4 squadron hawks and just swing with them every turn. Also a tireless tribe starts chipping in for one. Eventually Freddie casts back to back serpentine curves but they’re not big enough to stop 4 in the air every turn lmao. At the end of the game we both had 3 elemental blasts in hand and just weren’t playing the opposing colored spells, lol.

Top 8 r2 against mono white heroic
I’m still bottom seed
Win 2-1

G1: I keep a hand that has everything except tribe, spend a dozen cantrips looking for tribe. Do not find tribe or any other creatures and his big beefy one drop gets there

Sb: gigadrowse and standard bearers and echoing truth

G2: mull to 6, and once again need tribe. Finally find 2 of them off a brainstorm after Freddie has a 2/2 and no follow up auras. Two tribes, two wedding invitations, inside out and whiteout close it out with protection

G3: opponent keeps a 1 land, sacred cat, hyena umbra, ethereal armor. Never sees a second land and I get the t3 with inside out and whiteout.

Top 8 finals against glazing affinity
Still on the draw
Win 2-1

G1: I land a tribe, but no evasion or inside out while Pat has 3 creatures. Eventually he taps down to 1 mana open and I untap with 5, play invitation, play inside out, circular logic up have to hit lay for 25 because he gained 3 lol.

G2: I think I could have won this but I made some bad cantrip sequencing decisions and walk into a metallic rebuke (I did not check his decklist) also have to burn a BEB on that 1 mana goblin that sacs an artifact to pestilence

G3: we start a slow back and forth where I eventually land a squadron hawk to refill the hand (and dodge an edict) with a wedding invite in play. Play out the tireless tribe with circular logic. Untap, Pat has 1 card in hand. Inside out, Pat is at 20, swim for 21 (leaving me with 1 card in hand). Pay sacs chromatic star for free and casts weather the storm (a card I also didn’t know he was playing) to gain 6 life. Luckily my last card is circular logic which deals 4 damage and prevents Pat from gaining 3 life. Wild stuff

Thoughts:

Maindeck feels great.
Whiteout is a passable gush replacement.
Sideboard could use retooling, several cards i never once sided in.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

It's weird seeing Tribe still going without Gitprobe, but good job!

Also, the Munitions/FDoC deck is called Moggwarts, because you're sending goblins to magic school :v:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Silhouette posted:

It's weird seeing Tribe still going without Gitprobe, but good job!

Also, the Munitions/FDoC deck is called Moggwarts, because you're sending goblins to magic school :v:

Peek is the bad git probe. The deck as a whole is usually a full turn slower, but still has the possible T2. Wedding invitation lets you front load the cost for making your creature unblockable.

God I miss gush, daze, and probe though….

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Man I love the old frame versions

The shocks are going to be so expensive though :sigh:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Mix. posted:

ravnica remastered baby

Arivia posted:

Okay but where’s the real art not a photograph of somewhere in Italy or Spain

That is 100% the Louvre and the Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel. Not even "inspired," just straight-up copies of the Louvre's architecture and the Arch. But with a fountain in the foreground because of [cardname].

Better Louvre pics for reference:

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 31, 2023

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Jason Statham posted:

G1: sunshine isn’t clear on what the combo do until I show him.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
So are there no cards from WOE that people are excited/curious about to make waves in any formats? I find it notable that nobody is really talking about the new set that’s coming out soon

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mike N Eich posted:

So are there no cards from WOE that people are excited/curious about to make waves in any formats? I find it notable that nobody is really talking about the new set that’s coming out soon

We talked about spoilers as they were posted, right?

The big issue with the set is that instead of being the opener of a new, small Standard format, it's all going to be overshadowed in practice by all the old-Standard cards that are hanging around like a bad smell instead of rotating out. Nobody's excited to build a deck around any of the new cards because it's just gonna be stinky poopoo compared to the best-of current standard with some niche upgrades.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Mike N Eich posted:

Royal treatment is a solid card in infect for modern and legacy.
Beseech the mirror looks real strong in legacy, not sure about modern. Easiest thing to do is sacrifice an artifact land and put gaeas will into play, there might be stronger things to do though.
I've also seen people talking about trying up the beanstalk, syr ginger, and the new court cycle out.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Mike N Eich posted:

I hope Syr Ginger is useful for punishing super friends control decks in standard. But I don’t know what makes it truly threatening. Original eldraine standard, that sort of deck seemed driven by All the Glitters and I don’t know that anything around quite replicates how fast that put damage in the table.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Yiggy posted:

I hope Syr Ginger is useful for punishing super friends control decks in standard. But I don’t know what makes it truly threatening. Original eldraine standard, that sort of deck seemed driven by All the Glitters and I don’t know that anything around quite replicates how fast that put damage in the table.

michiko saga is still in if that kind of deck is a thing

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
True but I feel like it needs some sort of +1 first strike trick so it can profitably punch through a samurai to kill a wandering emperor without trading.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
The $300k in magic cards stolen at gencon have been recovered: https://kotaku.com/magic-gathering-cards-stolen-gen-con-castle-assault-1850791592. Looks like it was the designers of the game Castle Assault which really makes me wonder what they were thinking.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Mike N Eich posted:

Personally, I never looked up what Roles do and so I don't understand half the cards.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

neaden posted:

The $300k in magic cards stolen at gencon have been recovered: https://kotaku.com/magic-gathering-cards-stolen-gen-con-castle-assault-1850791592. Looks like it was the designers of the game Castle Assault which really makes me wonder what they were thinking.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/154674/castle-assault getting review-bombed, which I think is rare on BGG aside from the Brass: Birmingham vs. Gloomhaven war.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mike N Eich posted:

Up the Beanstalk is a broken card in eternal formats where you never pay full price for anything. And it replaces itself so even when it's dead you get to redraw.
Not Dead After All is a strict upgrade for scam. Not a huge difference but it's the best deck in modern getting better.
Likeness Looter appears to be an upgrade over Lazav the Multiferious, but you weren't playing Phyrexian Dreadnought, so why would you care about a replacement to the 7th best enabler of the card?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

neaden posted:

Not very much, apparently. What kinda smart thief wears easily identifiable clothes like that with no mask, etc?

It's more surprising that they got away with it for this long.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Question about Toxicrene.

Hypertoxic Miasma — All lands have "Tap: Add one mana of any color" and lose all other abilities.

What happens when a tapland enters the battlefield? I am assuming the "enters the battlefield tapped" text is not an ability, so it would still come in tapped. How about lands with other ETB effects?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

it's an ability that gets lost.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

big cummers ONLY posted:

Question about Toxicrene.

Hypertoxic Miasma — All lands have "Tap: Add one mana of any color" and lose all other abilities.

What happens when a tapland enters the battlefield? I am assuming the "enters the battlefield tapped" text is not an ability, so it would still come in tapped. How about lands with other ETB effects?

Entering the battlefield tapped is, in fact, an ability. It's a replacement effect that replaces how the land would normally enter the battlefield.
When a permanent would enter the battlefield, it looks to see how it would exist on the battlefield to determine if/when to apply any replacement effects. This is why you can't pay life for shocklands under blood moon and why Modular and X/X creatures don't get counters under Dress down.
...And it means your tapped land would enter untapped because on the battlefield it won't have the ability that says it should have entered tapped.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Mike N Eich posted:

i think sleep-cursed faerie might be relevant to the mono blue tempo deck and maybe even modern/legacy delver. the ward effect seems like a significant help in formats with fatal push/snuff out. no idea how clunky the stun counters will be in practice, although it seems like getting it out early and spending the intervening time controlling the board state is what that kind of deck wants to do anyway

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Mike N Eich posted:

Set seems to have a lot of interesting stuff that might play some utility roles but not much that will displace established powerful cards. Time will tell I guess.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

HootTheOwl posted:

Entering the battlefield tapped is, in fact, an ability. It's a replacement effect that replaces how the land would normally enter the battlefield.
When a permanent would enter the battlefield, it looks to see how it would exist on the battlefield to determine if/when to apply any replacement effects. This is why you can't pay life for shocklands under blood moon and why Modular and X/X creatures don't get counters under Dress down.
...And it means your tapped land would enter untapped because on the battlefield it won't have the ability that says it should have entered tapped.

Yep, this is how the extremely short-lived Blood Sun/Lotus Field deck worked in standard, Blood Sun turned off the etb tapped AND sac 2 lands "abilities" and basically just gave you a better black lotus

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Mike N Eich posted:

I mean I recorded 2 episodes of a podcast about the set what more do you need from me!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jabor posted:

We talked about spoilers as they were posted, right?

The big issue with the set is that instead of being the opener of a new, small Standard format, it's all going to be overshadowed in practice by all the old-Standard cards that are hanging around like a bad smell instead of rotating out. Nobody's excited to build a deck around any of the new cards because it's just gonna be stinky poopoo compared to the best-of current standard with some niche upgrades.

This really does dampen the excitement for me. The last several sets I was so psyched to try new stuff out and see other new stuff but it's always just a sprinkle of new stuff with straight old decks until a week or 2 in when it's just old decks with the one new thing good enough to replace an older part of an established deck.

I'll do pre-release w my friends if they are still down to go but I'm not getting myself hyped up for a fresh feeling standard anymore in arena. I'll consider it a nice surprise if I actually end up with a couple of new deck archetypes.