Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also standard is less than a century old, before then you could just go "idk put the gas on the steering column and make reverse a foot pedal lol"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MeinPanzer posted:

It's especially funny because driving standard will basically become obsolete in the future as electric cars become more and more common. And they'll be particularly useful in a rural setting where they can be charged at home using renewable energy.

It's already all but obsolete in the US. I needed to brush up on manual driving for a driving test, and it was all but impossible to line one up to drive for a few weeks. Also the driving test was to prove I could drive stick, for a fleet of vehicles where the only trucks left that weren't automatic were the two junk buckets they kept around to test if you could drive manual.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

NEver learned to drive stick and the only thing that's ever cost me is having to move someone's car out of the way. Sorry, someone else will have to do that, alas.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

MeinPanzer posted:

It's especially funny because driving standard will basically become obsolete in the future as electric cars become more and more common. And they'll be particularly useful in a rural setting where they can be charged at home using renewable energy.

When the electric cars go woke, only homeschooled kids will be able to catch and tame wild stick-shift cars roaming the forests, and then they will rule over us like kings.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I mildly prefer stick, but you pretty much can't get them even if you want to in the US at this point.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

cat botherer posted:

I mildly prefer stick, but you pretty much can't get them even if you want to in the US at this point.

It's funny, here in the UK it's the opposite. I never really had to learn to drive stick in Canada, but here it was almost impossible to find an automatic car that wasn't exorbitantly expensive when I was looking just before the pandemic.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I doubt half the people cosplaying this poo poo can even drive stick anyway, they're just looking to *previous thing*

Neolithic Facebook: WHo remembers riding squid??

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

MeinPanzer posted:

It's funny, here in the UK it's the opposite. I never really had to learn to drive stick in Canada, but here it was almost impossible to find an automatic car that wasn't exorbitantly expensive when I was looking just before the pandemic.
Yeah, it's really weird how North America seems to be the odd one out. Automatics also cost massively more to rent in the UK and EU compared to manuals (whereas manual rentals in the US don't exist). The mileage and performance of automatics is largely even with manuals nowadays, but of course they do cost a bit more and are more expensive to fix if they do break. OTOH, clutches are a wearable part and aren't cheap either.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/AllezLesBoulez/status/1696696493166481471

Stringer Bell could not live in the modern world, he would've died long ago of apoplexy

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 30, 2023

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/AllezLesBoulez/status/1696696493166481471

Stringer Bell could not live in the modern world, he would've died long ago of apoplexy

Are you taking notes on a criminal loving conspiricy?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Guavanaut posted:

Also standard is less than a century old, before then you could just go "idk put the gas on the steering column and make reverse a foot pedal lol"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLMS_QtKamg&t=30s

real cars, from the days when folks didn't need to be coddled with things like a "fuel gauge" or "protection from the elements"

(although it gets 20mpg, which might be sinfully high to some folks)

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
I always liked this one too.

https://youtu.be/rWTcPdYfsAc?si=0XFbLicxGkTSnPTX

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

U gotta power cycle your speaker ma'am

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Top Gear did have some great bits. Makes me wish they weren't all such assholes.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Top Gear did have some great bits. Makes me wish they weren't all such assholes.

Aw, I thought it was just Clarkson, is May a dick too?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thaddius the Large posted:

May and Hammond seems almost normal, in a posh englishman way. They don't look to be "burn immigrants at the stake" as Clarkson does.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
They sure do enable his poo poo though.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

cat botherer posted:

I like driving manual and have resigned myself that my current car is almost certainly the last stick shift I'll get to drive, both due to what you mention and also as I intend to keep it running until electric cars are the dominant mode of personal transport (ignoring the comedy* "lol civilizational collapse due to climate change will happen first" option).

Lemniscate Blue posted:

They sure do enable his poo poo though.

This.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Thaddius the Large posted:

The other two quit in solidarity when Clarkson got fired, IIRC, so gently caress ‘em

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

They're massive Tory's, they don't even hide it

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/FLAGUSA1776/status/1696629289414787170?s=20

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Brother was watching Clarkson's Farm or some show where he bought a mud pit potato farm during Covid. He is going over advertising for his potatos, and his assistant mentions using twitter to reach out and Clarkson starts ranting about how it was just so left wing, packed with leftists.

he then starts complaining about the weather, and his neighbor calls him out saying its climate change, you dick, you have been tooling about the world driving your little cars for years and years and now you complain about it? Clarkson points at the guys utility van "What about you! you drive that!"

"It's electric, you nonce!"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So a dude who decorated his guns with swastikas shot up a parking lot and store a few days ago. After everyone of course came out and decried the racist violence, Larry Elder decided to add his two cents.

https://twitter.com/larryelder/status/1697004343168520552?s=20

I knew Elder was a piece of poo poo, but God drat.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

May and Hammond seems almost normal, in a posh englishman way. They don't look to be "burn immigrants at the stake" as Clarkson does.

An extremely low bar, OP.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://x.com/itsraininashley/status/1696669937786319268?s=46&t=6HOSYVrXffESMo0NlyR0Lg

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

let's not ask for things we don't want

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

I wonder what their stance is on hitting children

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

V-Men posted:

I wonder what their stance is on hitting children

It's the only way to unite, apparently.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I'm hitting them as hard as I can and nothing is happening!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

SlowBloke posted:

If by "normal english" you mean incredibly racist, then yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxcyeFGOp2k&t=21s

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

He's not a real hamster, is he

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Sandy Hook didn't change gun laws

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
How old is their PR squad?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uh huh.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
The communism understander has logged on

Tankies gonna tank, I guess

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Not a tankie, but a RETVRN trad right wing psycho who has negatively polarized himself into loving the USSR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

zoux posted:

Uh huh.

I enjoy the "work mind virus" typo. Soviet union, notoriously anti-work