Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a preferred 3-in-1 travel charger for iPhone/AirPods/Apple Watch?

From browsing Amazon, my options appear to be either the Anker Cube for $150 (lol), or rolling the dice on one of a million Chinese clones that might work or might be crap.

I have this. It does not do wireless, but usually is on sale for $75. Works great and it pretty portable to boot. Plus you can power 2 AC with it.

https://www.anker.com/products/a9126

Anker stuff is no longer low cost like it used to be (bummer), but their stuff still seemed very well thought out and works well. If possible wait until Labor Day or Black Friday to find a better deal too.

I also have this guy at my house, the shape isn’t portable so def stand alone, but just mentioning this works super well too.

https://www.anker.com/products/a9137

I don’t have this one, but this portable battery is on sale for $110 and is super tempting.

https://www.anker.com/products/b1291

Edit: looks like Anker may be doing a product refresh, so some of the current batteries all seem to be on sale.

This one is also on sale. Edit 2: I went ahead and got this one here.

https://www.anker.com/products/a1289

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Jonny Quest posted:

I would wager that the new band system would use some sort of pogo-pin latching to allow the use of "smart" bands. I could totally see a band with an extra optical sensor to help do glucose or blood pressure. It would keep the primary watch price down while allowing for a separate device entirely to go through the FDA approval cycle.

I figure something like:
2023 - Series 9/AWU Black
2024 - Series X (46/43 sizes with support for "smart bands" that give extra battery (for now) / AWU (Product RED) Edition since microLED still won't be ready.
2025 - Series 11 with new colors & new smart bands (solar/glucose), AWU with microLED larger 51mm screen/smart bands, & SE with smart bands

This seems sensible but I don't know about the watches getting even bigger. Like it's true that people seem to want bigger and bigger screens for things like phones, but for something which you wear and which is also jewellery it's surely more about following fashion trends? Big chunky smartwatches look okay now but any bigger and there's a chance they'll start pushing up against the limits of acceptable taste and fashion. The Ultra already feels like it's pushing up against the bounds of taste as compared to the luxury watch market. 51mm feels like it's potentially a lot and might make people look/feel like huge dweebos.

But who knows! I suppose Apple has a good knack for setting the terms of people's aesthetic tastes rather than following them.

edit: for reference the absolute largest size that Rolex makes is about 44mm, which you probably berciee as a little bigger than the Apple Watch equivalent due to it being round + the way that the case and bracelet work as a pair. Anything bigger than that luxury watch wise imo looks like you want to telegraph to people that you're a tax cheat, you run a telemarketing scam, or that your rap career isn't going as well as you want people to think that it is

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 19, 2023

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

The Grumbles posted:

This seems sensible but I don't know about the watches getting even bigger.

At least for the Ultra I think it will stay the same size for the foreseeable future. Realistically they can grow the screen a LOT and still leave the case alone due to the large bezels on the device.

My expectation is that with the switch to microLED they will be able to go more edge to edge for all the watches without increasing the actual dimensions.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I keep reading that micro LED allows for edgeless displays, but the posts on the interwebs about it didn't exactly specify why. You'd figure the power and signalling stuff is basically the same, just that the emitters are different.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

I keep thinking back to the original Android watches that had that flat tire look to them to account for all the signaling wires (what I consider LVDS wires like normal LCD panels)--or like the blood vessels on your retina that cause your blind spot.

With LCD you had the backlight behind the pixels so you had to put all the control circuitry between pixels and running down to the bottom (leading to the flat tire).

OLED doesn't have a backlight, wires can go on the back, but can only scale up to around 500ppi.

microLED also doesn't have a backlight, but can scale up to maybe 4000ppi -- so I figure a bezel at least 10-25% of an OLED width would be possible.

Jonny Quest fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 22, 2023

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Jonny Quest posted:

At least for the Ultra I think it will stay the same size for the foreseeable future. Realistically they can grow the screen a LOT and still leave the case alone due to the large bezels on the device.

My expectation is that with the switch to microLED they will be able to go more edge to edge for all the watches without increasing the actual dimensions.

That’s a good looking watch face. Which one is it?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

hadji murad posted:

That’s a good looking watch face. Which one is it?

It’s the default watch ultra face, “wayfinder”, in yellow with light background

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ah, not available on non Ultra watches.

I love that they used to have the exclusive faces like that with the Nike watches, which had identical hardware but just different straps. But then they decoupled the straps from the watches and had to give up on that. Kind of amazed they didn’t figure out a way to make watch faces tied to specific straps, that would be very Apple.

Actually they still have Hermes exclusive faces so I wonder how that works?

https://www.apple.com/apple-watch-hermes/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hermes are still a unique SKU. They come in special boxes and say "Hermes" on the back. I'm not a computer toucher, but I assume it's probably trivial for Apple to keep a list of serial numbers that are Hermes and serve them a version of WatchOS that includes the Hermes faces.

Nike is just bands now. I imagine trying to sell Apple Watches in sporting good stores wasn't as successful as they wanted, so they just dropped the Nike+ editions entirely.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ah, makes sense. Also Hermes watches cost more so can justify the separate SKU vs Nike not being a price premium.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

hypnophant posted:

It’s the default watch ultra face, “wayfinder”, in yellow with light background

Thanks! I was afraid it was an Ultra exclusive.

Oh well. Maybe some day…

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The watch type is probably encoded from factory in some ROM section of the MCU, and WatchOS gates your access to features based on that.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I'm happy to learn that the Nike faces are standard now. That has limited my options in the past, because I didn't want to give them up.

Nice to know that if I decide to upgrade, I can still rock these guys.

I love that font!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yeah there's some cool Nike faces. I'm a sucker for Nike Volt so I was loving ecstatic when they opened up the watch faces to all models.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah there's some cool Nike faces. I'm a sucker for Nike Volt so I was loving ecstatic when they opened up the watch faces to all models.

Also what the gently caress is going on with our custom titles; they're having a conversation.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Shart Carbuncle posted:

Also what the gently caress is going on with our custom titles; they're having a conversation.

Some loser in the GBS RLM thread bought me this. I actually loving love Star Trek 1.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Shart Carbuncle posted:

I'm happy to learn that the Nike faces are standard now. That has limited my options in the past, because I didn't want to give them up.

Nice to know that if I decide to upgrade, I can still rock these guys.

I love that font!

Is there any way I can set up the face without the Nike logo?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

Yeah for real. That’s look nice without the logo.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Uhh so I’m trying to get my wife’s solo loop replaced under warranty. It’s less than a year old and just straight-up snapped in half while she was putting it on. I’ve been transferred to like 4 different people, have been linked the warranty stating that there’s a 1 year warranty period, and for some reason it took a “senior supervisor” to make a one-time exception to get it swapped. WTF? I don’t understand. Is it not standard to swap broken bands out that are less than a year old? I’ve done it a couple times over the years without issue.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Uhh so I’m trying to get my wife’s solo loop replaced under warranty. It’s less than a year old and just straight-up snapped in half while she was putting it on. I’ve been transferred to like 4 different people, have been linked the warranty stating that there’s a 1 year warranty period, and for some reason it took a “senior supervisor” to make a one-time exception to get it swapped. WTF? I don’t understand. Is it not standard to swap broken bands out that are less than a year old? I’ve done it a couple times over the years without issue.

I think in that scenario, quickest solution is to go to an Apple Store and get it swapped out on the spot.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

The Grumbles posted:

Sadly, no. I’d love to ditch the swoosh. Also if you tap it by accident it launches the Nike Run Club app (or prompts you to install it).

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Nessus posted:

Is there really going to be a new Apple Watch that can track your blood pressure? How would that work?

I have a Sleep Number bed that accurately measures heart rate and respiration through the bed air tube, it they say it uses ballistocardiography to measure the ballistic force of the heart ejecting blood that is transmitted through your entire body. Apparently the science was largely ignored up until recently but a quick Google says that they have done some studies on wrist ballistocardiography to measure blood pressure.

So I'm guessing that, they have figured out how to use the accelerometer/gyroscope to isolate for that and calibrate it to blood pressure.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think in that scenario, quickest solution is to go to an Apple Store and get it swapped out on the spot.

After all that transferring crap, it was a 40-minute phone call. Good grief. I think you’re right. They kept asking me for the serial number of my wife’s watch, even though the band that broke didn’t come with it. It was a separate purchase.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

After all that transferring crap, it was a 40-minute phone call. Good grief. I think you’re right. They kept asking me for the serial number of my wife’s watch, even though the band that broke didn’t come with it. It was a separate purchase.

Its unfortunate but sometimes you can get bad phone support from them.

This is years ago, but once my mom spent over an hour on the phone with them trying to get the front facing camera on her iPad working. I came over took one look at it, and found the problem: It was 1st gen iPad and didn't have a camera.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Three Olives posted:

I have a Sleep Number bed that accurately measures heart rate and respiration through the bed air tube, it they say it uses ballistocardiography to measure the ballistic force of the heart ejecting blood that is transmitted through your entire body. Apparently the science was largely ignored up until recently but a quick Google says that they have done some studies on wrist ballistocardiography to measure blood pressure.

So I'm guessing that, they have figured out how to use the accelerometer/gyroscope to isolate for that and calibrate it to blood pressure.

Reading old patents it looks like they would use ultrasound, or, something insanely cool, a "smart band" with a Taptic Engine on the bottom of the wrist along with a pressure sensor. The band's Taptic Engine/pressure sensor that rests on your veins, and then pulses checking to see how much they compress and doing some math to extrapolate that to what your arteries must be feeling.

https://www.patentlyapple.com/paten...er-project.html

Like taking an EKG, the instructions could be as simple as "wear this special watch band, rest your arm on a table, turn your thumb skyward, and wait 20-30 seconds for a reading to happen."

If the wrist module or the watch also had ultrasound, that's also a step towards glucose monitoring. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-70305-6

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I got my first one of these things just the other week. I like it!

Is there anything I should know as someone who hasn't had an iwatch thing before?

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 29, 2023

Violator
May 15, 2003

Three Olives posted:

That's amazing.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Lord Lambeth posted:

Is there anything I should know as someone who hasn't had an iwatch thing before?

AliExpress has TONS of bands out there. I like the CRESTED store and have been happy with their bands. If you attempt to do anything water-related with the default silicone band your watch has a high chance of ending up at the bottom of the lake/pool/ocean. Also the Series 6 is the worst for swimming.

Complication-wise I really like Weathergraph and app wise Arcadia is a great way of entertaining yourself (or a kid) with multiple 8-bit quality games.

Having it also be able to unlock my phone when masked is invaluable, or signing in to an Apple TV for Fitness+.

But I must say that when my Series 6 died my most missed functionality was just opening/closing the drat garage door. (I have Homebridge set up on a Pi to get my MyQ door added to HomeKit.)

After trolling FB Marketplace and OfferUp (so many scammers) I finally found a replacement for my dead S6 (Titanium S7 for $200!) and my first world life is complete again.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Jonny Quest posted:

If you attempt to do anything water-related with the default silicone band your watch has a high chance of ending up at the bottom of the lake/pool/ocean.

This is....completely incorrect.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Jose Oquendo posted:

This is....completely incorrect.

The act of swimming (assuming you are using your arms) puts pressure on the clasp mechanism that is incredibly non-robust. It was regularly mentioned when the sport loops were released that you want to install them a different way while you are frequently swimming because there had been enough complaints about the silicon ones having water issues. Nice that yours have held up though.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Grassy Knowles posted:

The act of swimming (assuming you are using your arms) puts pressure on the clasp mechanism that is incredibly non-robust. It was regularly mentioned when the sport loops were released that you want to install them a different way while you are frequently swimming because there had been enough complaints about the silicon ones having water issues. Nice that yours have held up though.

I've had a watch since they launched and I've gone through a few of them and several sport bands. Done plenty of swimming in pools and oceans. Never seen it or had anything close to that happening. I'm old and my memory is going so I can't remember ever hearing anything like what you mentioned. Do you have links I could read up on ?

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

Do you have links I could read up on ?

These reddit threads https://www.reddit.com/r/Sacramento/comments/haw9nl/found_4_apple_watches_4_phones_while_diving_for/ and https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/14y184v/psa_dont_wear_the_sport_band_when_you_go_in_the/ came to mind when I was writing it out. I thought there was a more recent posting as well, but for some reason the image of a bunch of watches on sport bands stuck in my head. No issues with my knock-off Ocean band, though.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Jose Oquendo posted:

I've had a watch since they launched and I've gone through a few of them and several sport bands. Done plenty of swimming in pools and oceans. Never seen it or had anything close to that happening. I'm old and my memory is going so I can't remember ever hearing anything like what you mentioned. Do you have links I could read up on ?

I haven’t saved links and apparently there is now an ‘Ocean Band’ with the ultra that makes searching for such resources difficult. https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/ime2n1/comment/g404tuu/ is an as of yet undeleted reddit comment referencing the same thing.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Jonny Quest posted:

These reddit threads https://www.reddit.com/r/Sacramento/comments/haw9nl/found_4_apple_watches_4_phones_while_diving_for/ and https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/14y184v/psa_dont_wear_the_sport_band_when_you_go_in_the/ came to mind when I was writing it out. I thought there was a more recent posting as well, but for some reason the image of a bunch of watches on sport bands stuck in my head. No issues with my knock-off Ocean band, though.

Interesting. Dude hit the jackpot. I wonder if those people wear them too loose? I'm not sure how the silicon sport band could pop open from swimming.

Grassy Knowles posted:

I haven’t saved links and apparently there is now an ‘Ocean Band’ with the ultra that makes searching for such resources difficult. https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/ime2n1/comment/g404tuu/ is an as of yet undeleted reddit comment referencing the same thing.

This one is referencing the fabric sport loop, which I could see working its way open if worn 'correctly.' Good to know regardless.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

This one is referencing the fabric sport loop, which I could see working its way open if worn 'correctly.' Good to know regardless.

It is, but it also specifically mentions that fabric sport loop as the recommended-for-swimming option because that was the case at the time.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Grassy Knowles posted:

It is, but it also specifically mentions that fabric sport loop as the recommended-for-swimming option because that was the case at the time.

Yeah I saw that which I found interesting because I can't find that from anywhere on the store page for the watch or the band. Maybe a support page has it somewhere?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah I saw that which I found interesting because I can't find that from anywhere on the store page for the watch or the band. Maybe a support page has it somewhere?

It’s not there anymore now that they have a more suitable option to sell you for swimming (Ocean band with Ultra)

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

I switched to a garmin watch because I didnt want a tiny iphone on my wrist but now I cant snooze my alarm with the tip of my nose. jokes on me I guess

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

skimothy milkerson posted:

I switched to a garmin watch because I didnt want a tiny iphone on my wrist but now I cant snooze my alarm with the tip of my nose. jokes on me I guess

The real questions is whether you wear your Garmin on your dong? Or if you are dongless, on a strap on you wear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

rufius posted:

The real questions is whether you wear your Garmin on your dong? Or if you are dongless, on a strap on you wear.

dong too small. thats why I had to buy this big girthy watch