Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
It's not even Some Gizmo, it's a vegetable peeler. Just use a dang knife if you don't even care about the shape like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I think that channel had a weird one about ambidextrous peelers where they said the swivel was so you could peel up and down as opposed to just down a carrot but that just makes it so you get peels everywhere

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Here we go

https://twitter.com/todayyearsoldig/status/1690045801979125760?t=A-WFK2fFBszW7Sk6JcZ0NA&s=1

The amount of control they're needing to us vs just going down the potato removes all the time savings

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Because there is some automatic consistency with a peeler.

Not so much with a random kid especially from someone who doesn't care for their knives or have any skill

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

That's a good way to get your hand grated.

They are double-sided so they last longer and so you can swap hands.

No stupid video will convince me otherwise.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Kwyndig posted:

I thought the problem with cutting onions was the crying part, they cut fairly easily. Using some gizmo to cut your onions doesn't change the fact that you're still cutting onions.

Eye irritation from onions comes from trying to cut them with a dull blade, so this is probably several times worse for that unless you're one of the vanishingly small number of people that bothers to periodically sharpen their vegetable peeler.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

moist turtleneck posted:

Here we go

https://twitter.com/todayyearsoldig/status/1690045801979125760?t=A-WFK2fFBszW7Sk6JcZ0NA&s=1

The amount of control they're needing to us vs just going down the potato removes all the time savings

I used to peel at minimum 7 pounds of carrots a day, that doesn't sound like much but most carrots are like 3 ounces so yeah it adds up quick. It's absolutely faster to just go up and down, assuming you're doing it over a large trashcan and it doesn't matter where the peels land.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Did you wear a glove when you did it? I feel like I'd shave my finger tips when I wasn't dropping the potato

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

moist turtleneck posted:

Did you wear a glove when you did it? I feel like I'd shave my finger tips when I wasn't dropping the potato

Yeah a plastic food service glove and eventually we got cut gloves so I'd wear that. To be clear, in a restaurant setting speed is more important than whatever minimal amount of usable carrot I might have peeled And thrown away, at home I just peel in one direction because I'm peeling like 4 carrots at a time max.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

moist turtleneck posted:

Done that. I have a permanently white spot on my left ring fingertip from zipping off a pretty deep chunk.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

MrUnderbridge posted:

Done that. I have a permanently white spot on my left ring fingertip from zipping off a pretty deep chunk.

:hfive: 'Sup peeler injury buddy? Also nicked the tip of my index finger off using a mandolin.

Use gloves and/or the hand guard people.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Where I worked I refused to not use the guard and was laughed at for it, despite everyone having an injury

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

FWIW, after 8 years in the kitchen I have zero peeler injuries, mostly because I’ve always used a Y peeler and keep my fingertips tucked. However, the heel of the palm and corner of the index finger on my right hand are permanently blunted because I refuse to use a guard on the mando. In conclusion,

E: a Y peeler, if you don’t know what I’m talking about :

Bibliotechno Music has a new favorite as of 22:13 on Aug 25, 2023

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Bibliotechno Music posted:

FWIW, after 8 years in the kitchen I have zero peeler injuries, mostly because I’ve always used a Y peeler and keep my fingertips tucked. However, the heel of the palm and corner of the index finger on my right hand are permanently blunted because I refuse to use a guard on the mando. In conclusion,

E: a Y peeler, if you don’t know what I’m talking about :

These are by far the best.

Also, for onions, wear Onion Goggles. They look stupid but they work.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
These aren't life hacks at all.

You simply Princess Bride poison method starting with cutting an onion with a dull knife and graduating to tear gas after a little practice.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Stick your tongue out for onions. Works until someone asks you a question anyway.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
The best way to cut onions is to mash them using the side of your knife like you would garlic cloves.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Option 1: get the knife and onion wet first the water will keep the airborne particles from irritating

Option 2: work in restaurants for years and develop immunity. This can also replace oven mitts for many purposes.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Option 3: Go on a fodmap-elimination diet, discover that the constant IBS you've been struggling with for years is just onions, and ban them from your home, never to be eaten again.

No...? Just me then...

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Nettle Soup posted:

Option 3: Go on a fodmap-elimination diet, discover that the constant IBS you've been struggling with for years is just onions, and ban them from your home, never to be eaten again.

No...? Just me then...

Onions AND Garlic my friend. I feel your pain.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Nettle Soup posted:

No...? Just me then...

Tomato here, onions are fine for me if cooked

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Nettle Soup posted:

No...? Just me then...

Oh man I've never known anyone else who did the fodmap-elimination diet!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
fodmap pals, are you HSD? ASD? do you have POTS? MCAS? stop me when I stop being right

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Desert Bus posted:

fodmap pals, are you HSD? ASD? do you have POTS? MCAS? stop me when I stop being right

Mine came simultaneous with my pancreatitis, had an iron stomach prior to that.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Grassy Knowles posted:

Mine came simultaneous with my pancreatitis, had an iron stomach prior to that.

Google "pancreatitis + MCAS" and "pancreatitis + EDS" and "pancreatitis + ASD"

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Desert Bus posted:

Google "pancreatitis + MCAS" and "pancreatitis + EDS" and "pancreatitis + ASD"

I was blackout drunk all but a handful of nights of most of my twenties. My other conditions mightve slightly contributed but like i cast strong doubt on anything but alcohol and abdominal trauma being the major factor

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I googled HSD and that sounds right, although it's mild marfans for me. I'm lucky I do seem to be able to eat garlic, but even if my stomach has settled down and might accept onions, I can never go back. Raw onions were the worst, they'd make me sweat the smell of them for days.

Makes being veggie and dining out kinda difficult, though. Bloody everything is cheese and onion.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is the onions thing genetic? I’ve never had issues with them.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Warbird posted:

Onions make volatile acid that would be hard to protect a mucous membrane against so your onion strength is not personal any more than you can grow to bear it by experience.

Instead the strength of the resulting gas depends on how much precursor is available in the onion which is linked to variety and source; it is generally associated with naturally pungent onions which have found a lot of sulfur from the environment. And with technique and equipment; the reaction requires thorough mixing of two chemicals present in the onion which does not happen as readily if you have a sharp knife and make clean cuts or chill the onion to reduce volatility and reaction rate.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Warbird posted:

In my family it sure seems to be, also linked to the porphyria in my family.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ironhead posted:

Onions AND Garlic my friend. I feel your pain.

Jesus. I'm Italian. I think I would choose death!

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Ironhead posted:

In my family it sure seems to be, also linked to the porphyria in my family.

Got xeroderma pigmentosum too, Vlad?

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Onions are a guaranteed heartburn for me, but I still love them. Helps that it's not very intense and highly dependent on what else I consumed that day so I'll manage by just having a glass of milk before bed. Maybe two over the day if it starts up early. Typically though it's so mild that it's more of a precaution so I don't get caught off guard by surprise heartburn while trying to sleep. Definitely worth it though because onions are fantastic.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

drat. There aren't many meals I make that don't have onion in them. And I cook at least five time a week.

My wife went on the fodmap thing for a while, but it turned out to be fiber that riled her ibs. I was very relieved!

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

MrUnderbridge posted:

drat. There aren't many meals I make that don't have onion in them. And I cook at least five time a week.

My wife went on the fodmap thing for a while, but it turned out to be fiber that riled her ibs. I was very relieved!

Eat...less fiber? Unheard of.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Yeah, her doctor kept telling her to eat more fiber for constipation, and she kept getting worse. Slowed down the fiber consumption and her symptoms eased.

Any time she has something high in fiber she has a flare-up.

Unlike standard IBS, she has IBS-C.

Bodies are weird.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I think the EU is moving to that as a universal standard soon.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ruflux posted:

Onions are a guaranteed heartburn for me, but I still love them. Helps that it's not very intense and highly dependent on what else I consumed that day so I'll manage by just having a glass of milk before bed. Maybe two over the day if it starts up early. Typically though it's so mild that it's more of a precaution so I don't get caught off guard by surprise heartburn while trying to sleep. Definitely worth it though because onions are fantastic.

This is perfect for the PYF Lifehack thread, (anecdotal evidence of a thing only tangentially related to your issue that will probably not help) but for a while one of my family members couldn't stomach regular (raw) onions despite loving them, in like cucumber salad/greek salad/sandwiches/etc. While chatting with one of my customers at work, she mentioned you can take a lot of heat out of raw onion if you slice it up like you normally would, separate the individual slices out a bit, and toss it in a strainer under some cold water. It will literally make the normal bite/kick/heat they have a lot milder, or non-existant

This will, of course, 1. make them seem sweeter because there will be less kick, 2. might not do jack poo poo if cooked onions also give you heartburn, and 3. might not do anything at all anyway because there's no guarantee this advice does anything but rinse off the same irritant that makes your eyes water. But it did work for our stomach problem-haver!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Wait, rinsing a juicy thing will remove some of the juice? Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

There isn’t a food I have found that upsets my stomach. I eat everything. But I do have an even more major problem with food: everything I eat turns into poo poo. I can’t figure it out