Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Gamespot and IGN out harvesting those clicks, lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Father Wendigo posted:

They already achieved this with Fallout 76.

Elder Scrolls 6 will have no quests, buildings or items. Players will have to mod in their own quests using assets purchased from the ATOM CHIM shop. The only way to rank up the bimonthly battle pass is to produce more new mods.

FO76 has actual NPCs and questlines now tho.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

this fucker already 100% it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blQjbbF7HlQ

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

FO76 has actual NPCs and questlines now tho.
yeah, it's 95% of a real game now. pretty good 80 or so hours if you can find it in one of those wacky $7 sales

Joyboy
Mar 18, 2021

I'm sure everyone feels the same.
morrowind was the perfect size, not too big, not too small. :corsair:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Joyboy posted:

morrowind was the perfect size, not too big, not too small. :corsair:

Sorrowind

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The barren planet thing can be improved a bit by their POI spawn system (assuming there is one). Just randomly/stochastically spawn more random poo poo. Even if it's just visual things, like extraordinary natural formations, alien artifacts and other random things that don't necessarily require fighting. Maybe involving a scanner that works only on the ground, so they're invisible in space. This however will need way more prefab assets to prevent repetition.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

VanillaGorilla posted:

Gamespot and IGN out harvesting those clicks, lmao.

You love to see it

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Everyone always talks about the Adoring Fan but IMHO Fargoth is far worse. I truly hate him

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Skimming through the reviews I think I'll have fun with the game, and then again in a year or two when all the cool mods are released

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i always gave him his ring back

did you really need the ring, come on now

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So it sounds like "Bethesda game, with fewer bugs" is the general consensus. I don't need the game to be perfect, I just need it to let me shoot things in space and then fill my pockets with space junk. I am fine with that. Hell, I enjoyed FO4 despite its terrible writing.

Plus, I'm just going to mod the poo poo out of this anyway, so...

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
just got my premium edition code from AMD for the PC version. earlier than I expected, I figure I'd be getting it mid day tomorrow like a jabroni. the preload starts Now

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Everyone always talks about the Adoring Fan but IMHO Fargoth is far worse. I truly hate him

Why? Farg is content to live his life in Startertown Neen after you give him his ring back.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Reviewers complaining about inventory management, meanwhile 30 out of the 100 hours in my BG3 playthrough were spent mashing the send to camp button. Probably can't be worse than that

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Gonkish posted:

So it sounds like "Bethesda game, with fewer bugs" is the general consensus. I don't need the game to be perfect, I just need it to let me shoot things in space and then fill my pockets with space junk. I am fine with that. Hell, I enjoyed FO4 despite its terrible writing.

Plus, I'm just going to mod the poo poo out of this anyway, so...

Imp's posts made it sound like this Bethesda game is pretty fundamentally different.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Father Wendigo posted:

Why? Farg is content to live his life in Startertown Neen after you give him his ring back.

He is a bastard

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Perfect Potato posted:

Reviewers complaining about inventory management, meanwhile 30 out of the 100 hours in my BG3 playthrough were spent mashing the send to camp button. Probably can't be worse than that

It is. The interface loving sucks even compared to BG3 and TotK, two other great games this year which also have loving Terrible Inventory.

Rinkles posted:

Imp's posts made it sound like this Bethesda game is pretty fundamentally different.

I mean it really depends on what you like. I know plenty of people who prefer fast travel in Bethesda stuff and they'll probably be happier.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It is. The interface loving sucks even compared to BG3 and TotK, two other great games this year which also have loving Terrible Inventory.

well hey at least that'll be an easy fix with a mod

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
if I start a NG+ will my outer galaxy be re-proc gen'd and any resource scanning I did first go around be pointless?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Sounds like it has a high skill inventory UI that noobs can't handle 😭😭😭

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Perfect Potato posted:

that is one thing I had hoped they'd figured out how to improve on. inventory management is a chore in their games. like there's a good reason it's there (a whole lot of different things to pick up), but there's gotta be a better way of presenting it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Pool posted:

if I start a NG+ will my outer galaxy be re-proc gen'd and any resource scanning I did first go around be pointless?

A minimally spoiler answer:

Yes.

Zokari posted:

well hey at least that'll be an easy fix with a mod

On PC and with Mods I'm sure it won't be an issue, but console people will probably be stuck with annoying poo poo.

If you don't plan to do outpost/crafting stuff though it's going to be way less of an issue.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

He said it took about 120 hours ish.

1 crash and only a few incredibly minor bugs

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

A minimally spoiler answer:

Yes.

Disappointing, but good to know, thanks

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

So I'm watching DrLupo play Starfield on YouTube.

Games looks really pretty, and apparently isn't a buggy mess like the usual Bethesda games at release so that's impressive! It looks fun, reviews basically make it sound like the Bethesda take on No Man's Sky(kinda what everyone expected). Looks fun.

I'm super into Baldurs Gate 3 at the moment and will pickup Starfield when I'm done with that. I wish BG3 had Starfields character creator. It's awesome how much you can customize yourself. Its seriously wild.

This game is gonna be amazing once mods get going.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Perfect Potato posted:

Them fixing nerfing the Chest of the Mundane was a goddamn tragedy, it solved that problem. Eagerly awaiting the unfixing mod.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Is the ng+ stuff worth it to beeline the main quest?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

I am going to do this as spoiler free as possible but it's not entirely possible to avoid insinuations so be warned.

You can go directly into NG+ when you end the main storyline. When you do you lose everything except your skills and the Space Powers you get.
However going into NG+ allows you to get some new stuff, adjusts storyline elements, and most importantly allows you to upgrade your Space Powers which can be the difference between functionally worthless and pretty useful.
The reason I recommend rushing is that if you spend a thousand hours making outposts and building ships it will loving suck to lose them all.
Once you've done the main story you don't have to replay it on NG+ though you can if you want.

That's going to be modded by the end of the week.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I mean it really depends on what you like. I know plenty of people who prefer fast travel in Bethesda stuff and they'll probably be happier.

my last few playthroughs of Beth games were all without conventional fast travel (self- or mod-imposed). I hate that rhythm of jumping from city to dungeon and back. it robs the games of their strengths.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

This game loving rules

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fried Watermelon posted:

Is the ng+ stuff worth it to beeline the main quest?

I'm not entirely sure. There's a couple of neat things. My general feeling is that if you end up thinking you're going to want the NG+ stuff you should beeline it and if you don't think you'll care then it isn't worth doing.

What I found in my playthrough: (Again, minimal spoilers but you can make inferences)

'Alternate' main quest which mostly lets you skip to the end.
Special dialogue options
A special ship
A special set of armor
Upgraded powers.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

K8.0 posted:

Outer Wilds

You fix the problem by scaling to a size where "see that, go there" still works.

I loved Outer Wilds but it's space-stuff is "unrealistic" to an absurd degree and has no combat, and "see that, go there" was much more limited than a planet-based RPG like Skyrim or Zelda because there wasn't really that much to "go there". I don't know how "see that, go there" works on an interstellar basis and if "realism" is the goal then even a solar basis is going to be little more than looking at a map, clicking a button, and waiting - space is loving huge and empty.

With a little bit of tweaking you could remake Outer Wilds as a game set on Hawaii (and where the big island is 1/100th the size) and have almost the exact same experience.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

when can I gently caress the stars

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

my last few playthroughs of Beth games were all without conventional fast travel (self- or mod-imposed). I hate that rhythm of jumping from city to dungeon and back. it robs the games of their strengths.

see i think people who disable fast travel are lunatics so i guess this game is for me

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Toxic Mental posted:

This game loving rules

People are already calling it a "top game"

Orv
May 4, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not entirely sure. There's a couple of neat things. My general feeling is that if you end up thinking you're going to want the NG+ stuff you should beeline it and if you don't think you'll care then it isn't worth doing.

How long would you say rushing the main quest would be? Vague guess is fine.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Rinkles posted:

that is one thing I had hoped they'd figured out how to improve on. inventory management is a chore in their games. like there's a good reason it's there (a whole lot of different things to pick up), but there's gotta be a better way of presenting it.
I think a sorted list is close to ~optimal~ as we can get for an inventory. At least, any game that I've played that tries anything else for the inventory was more annoying or cumbersome to deal with.

For me the solution has always been a simple quality over quantity. Walking through a dungeon and picking up 30 rusty iron daggers gets old eventually. While picking up a single item that has a unique effect and some story attached to it, will always be neat.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Raygereio posted:

I think a sorted list is close to ~optimal~ as we can get for an inventory. At least, any game that I've played that tries anything else for the inventory was more annoying or cumbersome to deal with.

For me the solution has always been a simple quality over quantity. Walking through a dungeon and picking up 30 rusty iron daggers gets old eventually. While picking up a single item that has a unique effect and some story attached to it, will always be neat.

Sorting would be cool if it actually worked in BG3. Their tags must be so loose and ill defined, potions and dyes just explode across your inventory no matter what setting you hit. I think they introduced a sort by rarity option in today's patch, maybe that will be more sanely designed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Orv posted:

How long would you say rushing the main quest would be? Vague guess is fine.

Probably 15-ish hours? It's a bit hard to judge because obviously I spent a lot of time faffing about doing other stuff.