Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Happy Hyperbole
Jan 27, 2009

What's he up to now? Hard to say since we're not telling him what to do.

ImpAtom posted:

TriStrat being a game where the entire central focus of the plot was Salt was legitimately awesome.

The plot centering around a resource like Salt was really nice, I liked that.

On the other hand, the 'SaltIron war' is so incredibly on the nose that I lost a lot of appreciation for it. Especially since in dialogue they just started talking about salt like it was any other generic RPG resource. A for effort, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Oxxidation posted:

instakilling drowners, crucial if you're farming cash in the skellige seas

That is the worst because it is essential but it is still not fun or satisfying.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
So far my only read of the personalities of the two main characters in Sea of Stars are "excited to go on an adventure" and Garl, who is "really excited to go on an adventure"

I did laugh at the first scene where it showed the villains, which is an almost 1:1 of the first scene of the Consuls from Xenoblade 3 except they're named after numbers instead of letters

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Happy Hyperbole posted:

On the other hand, the 'SaltIron war' is so incredibly on the nose that I lost a lot of appreciation for it.
in real life we had a conflict over natural resources called the beaver wars so

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mr. Trampoline posted:

So far my only read of the personalities of the two main characters in Sea of Stars are "excited to go on an adventure" and Garl, who is "really excited to go on an adventure"

I did laugh at the first scene where it showed the villains, which is an almost 1:1 of the first scene of the Consuls from Xenoblade 3 except they're named after numbers instead of letters

how clear-as-day was it

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

not to be confused with the emu wars, which were fought against natural resources

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

i assume you are talking about the general battuta post specifically? yeah i am a fan of their work too and read that thread nod nod
the fair play post was super interesting as a fair play fan~

oh yeah that's right you even mentioned baru cormorant in another thread lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stexils posted:

not to be confused with the emu wars, which were fought against natural resources
yeah to be clear the chief cause of the beaver wars was that the beavers had been nearly eradicated, unlike the emu wars which were them failing to eradicate the emu

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
a lot of wars are just named after the amount of time they took

Runa posted:

oh yeah that's right you even mentioned baru cormorant in another thread lol

yeah the victoria one. also here too lol

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm three pages behind from catching up on this thread but I need to jump in on the discussion of the TriStrat dub: I will NEVER forgive them for how badly they mangled Narve in English. Why is his voice so dour. Why is he not having any fun. Why did they make him so serious instead of letting him be the silly wizard he was in Japanese!

ok carry on

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
saltiron war sounds badass, also narve is a nerd and one of the few characters i never used

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Looper posted:

saltiron war sounds badass, also narve is a nerd and one of the few characters i never used

Looper I am sorry to say that from this day onward we are the bitterest of enemies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Happy Hyperbole posted:

The plot centering around a resource like Salt was really nice, I liked that.

On the other hand, the 'SaltIron war' is so incredibly on the nose that I lost a lot of appreciation for it. Especially since in dialogue they just started talking about salt like it was any other generic RPG resource. A for effort, though!

That is literally how wars are named in real life. Like the biggest war was called World War i and the biggest after that was World War 2.

(Also like to be honest Salt is one of those things that basically is a RPG resource IRL.)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
tristrat, snooze's offical character rankings

1. avlora, um, i think she is really cool
2. funny bandit archer, she is cute
3. cool old lady
4. evil medicine lady that hates milo, i ship them together
5. assasin orphan
6. cordelia
7. normal medicine lady, she is cute
8. horse bartender, woah, so dashing and handsome woman
9. milo

i started this list in putting them in order but i quickly realized i like a lot of these characters and its hard for me to rank them. ignore the numbers!!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hate it when people war over generic rpg resources

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ImpAtom posted:

That is literally how wars are named in real life. Like the biggest war was called World War i and the biggest after that was World War 2.

(Also like to be honest Salt is one of those things that basically is a RPG resource IRL.)

tristrat 2: the fruit wars, is going to be a funny thing to joke about for a lot of people until they learn some real life history!!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

tristrat 2: the fruit wars, is going to be a funny thing to joke about for a lot of people until they learn some real life history!!

Go for Spices and just gently caress everything up.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

this tracks

the CIA are monsters and so are Dole and Chiquita

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Bucket

Incredibly funny that it predictably calls the story of a stolen bucket a myth...because in actuality it was supposedly stolen after the battle.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_War_(1859)

461 combatants, 14 cannons vs 2,140 combatants; 5 warships mounting 70 cannons

it was a bloodless standoff and not a full on war, but i remember this and the Bucket War from a kids' almanac i had when i was six

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
tristrat official character ranking:

1. decimal barrel boy
2. trish the loudmouth bandit
3. anna the assassin spy
4. prototype version of rudolph from the art book where he has a big wolf
5. archibald the old man archer
6. there are a lot of good characters

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Snooze Cruise posted:

tristrat, snooze's offical character rankings

1. avlora, um, i think she is really cool
2. funny bandit archer, she is cute
3. cool old lady
4. evil medicine lady that hates milo, i ship them together
5. assasin orphan
6. cordelia
7. normal medicine lady, she is cute
8. horse bartender, woah, so dashing and handsome woman
9. milo

i started this list in putting them in order but i quickly realized i like a lot of these characters and its hard for me to rank them. ignore the numbers!!

honestly tristrat is a great game simply for having multiple medicine ladies. one of the alltime great character types

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Oxxidation posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_War_(1859)

461 combatants, 14 cannons vs 2,140 combatants; 5 warships mounting 70 cannons

it was a bloodless standoff and not a full on war, but i remember this and the Bucket War from a kids' almanac i had when i was six

i learned about this one from hey arnold

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Netherlands and the isles of Sicily were possibly at war for multiple centuries, not that either of them realized it until someone took a look at their records and realized there was a technical loophole that they could potentially close and, as a bonus, boost local tourism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Hundred_and_Thirty_Five_Years%27_War

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I hear there was once a big war over roses? So salt is hardly that remarkable.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Metis of the Hallway posted:

I hear there was once a big war over roses? So salt is hardly that remarkable.

actually they were fighting over yugioh cards i think

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yami Yugi was the first Tudor monarch and father of the notorious Henry VIII.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
There is not enough Frederica support on this page. She gets pissed off enough at her fiance supporting slavery that she drops a sun on him. Even if she hasn't learned the skill to do that in battle!

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

actually they were fighting over yugioh cards i think

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

yeah to be clear the chief cause of the beaver wars was that the beavers had been nearly eradicated, unlike the emu wars which were them failing to eradicate the emu
It took a long time for Australian-Emu relations to recover after that. There was some concern they might join the Axis during WW2, but fortunately the emu imperialist movement never got off the ground.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

You don't gently caress with large birds

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

Runa posted:

The Netherlands and the isles of Sicily were possibly at war for multiple centuries, not that either of them realized it until someone took a look at their records and realized there was a technical loophole that they could potentially close and, as a bonus, boost local tourism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Hundred_and_Thirty_Five_Years%27_War

probably just a typo but it's Scilly, off the coast of Britain, not Sicily the Mediterranean isle (which would be even weirder given the geography)

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

HopperUK posted:

I hate comma splices!!!

Think of it as old friends coming together, a reunion of sentences.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yuran M. Bazil posted:

probably just a typo but it's Scilly, off the coast of Britain, not Sicily the Mediterranean isle (which would be even weirder given the geography)

I can't even be mad at autocorrect doing this to me because my brain also refuses to parse the correct name

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So I finally have access to Ar Tornelico 1&2 and Mana Khemia 1&2. Is playing the first for both worth it or can/should I jump in with the sequels? I vaguely remember one of them being just a straight upgrade in most ways from discussions in the past. Do the stories connect or are they standalone?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chaotic Flame posted:

So I finally have access to Ar Tornelico 1&2 and Mana Khemia 1&2. Is playing the first for both worth it or can/should I jump in with the sequels? I vaguely remember one of them being just a straight upgrade in most ways from discussions in the past. Do the stories connect or are they standalone?

I'd play 1 before 2 in both cases since they both make callbacks, but they are more stand alone.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ar tonelico 1 is like, 20 hours long so if you want to get all the callbacks to mir in 2 it won't be the longest time investment. it is a two route game but none of that stuff is referenced in 2

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
It's hard to say which of Mana Khemia 1 or 2 is better.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Does MK2’s OST have anything that slaps as much as Nefertiti? Because if not it’s kinda one-sided

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Help I really like FFXIV and I think I might want to end up actually paying for it?