Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

redshirt posted:

Alien 3 is a beautiful movie, but I'll never get over how it took the ending of Aliens and poo poo all over it.

Ohhhh, fun premise: if the first 2 movies didn’t exist, how good would 3 be?

Also, :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Beautiful? lmao, it looks like poo poo from the second minute onwards. Grainy, poo poo smeared all over it making it the brownest film of the 90s, some dubious lens choices, embarrassing puppet and CG work, and hands down the ugliest of the Alien designs.

Won't hear a word against the performances, and I don't even mind the story but it's appallingly ugly and amateurish looking at times.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
The CGI was pretty bad.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Well it was directed by a perfume commercial director.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pennywise the Frown posted:

The CGI was pretty bad.

The only CGI in the movie is the cracks on the Alien’s head before it explodes and dies.

The blu ray assembly cut fixed some of the roughness of the rod puppet.

Also I quite like the Alien design in A3.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

The only CGI in the movie is the cracks on the Alien’s head before it explodes and dies.

The blu ray assembly cut fixed some of the roughness of the rod puppet.

Also I quite like the Alien design in A3.

Woah, it wasn't CGI when it was running and jumping on the walls?

I thought I remember a clear shot of it jumping into a wall corner or something and it looked like CGI.

edit: just watched 30 seconds of a video and the reason it appears to look so lovely is the compositing. It's a rod puppet, but doubtfully filmed under the same conditions as everyone else so it looks fake as poo poo. Worse than having a physical puppet right on the screen.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 30, 2023

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Woah, it wasn't CGI when it was running and jumping on the walls?

I thought I remember a clear shot of it jumping into a wall corner or something and it looked like CGI.

edit: just watched 30 seconds of a video and the reason it appears to look so lovely is the compositing. It's a rod puppet, but doubtfully filmed under the same conditions as everyone else so it looks fake as poo poo. Worse than having a physical puppet right on the screen.

There wasn’t a lot any CGI used for the movie. The movie was released before Jurassic Park redefined CGI, so some really talented people used every old trick they had and a touch of CGI here and there to try and sell it. I think for 1992, they did pretty well. Hell, it was an Academy Award nominee for Best Visual Effects, even.

Side note: this guy’s voice is about perfect for all the videos he makes about Aliens, Predators, and any combo thereof.

https://youtu.be/1kmjUPEd1wg?si=niW3GAf7xxnc5myZ

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

For all its faults (especially the theatrical), Alien 3 has one of the best deaths in the franchise - the bit where the xeno kills Boggs, splattering his blood all over Golic, who wipes the blood away from his eyes to gaze upon the xeno snarling at him while the music builds up. The whole thing is just really well done.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

Lord Ludikrous posted:

For all its faults (especially the theatrical), Alien 3 has one of the best deaths in the franchise - the bit where the xeno kills Boggs, splattering his blood all over Golic, who wipes the blood away from his eyes to gaze upon the xeno snarling at him while the music builds up. The whole thing is just really well done.

The close up shot of the Alien with Ripley after it kills Clemens is probably one of the most iconic moments of the series next to the first chestburst and "Get away from her you bitch!"

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
One of my favorites is when Morse goes "gently caress!" after a short pause when Andrews(?) gets hauled into the ceiling vent.

I tried googling "alien 3 gently caress gif" and well, I should have known better.

edit: here's a still from the scene

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Morton Haynice posted:

Alien3 never gets enough respect. I understand the hate for killing Newt & Hicks, or the bad puppet compositing, but it still has easily half a dozen truly iconic moments.

My personal favorite is Dillon's hype-rear end battle speech before Act 3. (Starting at about 1:30 in the linked clip.)
As far as inspirational monologues go, it's pretty short, but somehow manages to rival all the other ones people typically think of (Independance Day, Ride of the Rohirrim, etc).

Yes.

Also his funeral speech.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Cessna posted:

Yes.

Also his funeral speech.

Oh yeah that's good too, with clips of the xeno "being born" added in.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I can never forgive alien 3 for killing newt and hicks.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Alien 3 is a good sequel to Alien, but a bad sequel to Aliens

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

One of my favorites is when Morse goes "gently caress!" after a short pause when Andrews(?) gets hauled into the ceiling vent.

I tried googling "alien 3 gently caress gif" and well, I should have known better.

edit: here's a still from the scene

It’s one of my all-time favorite moments from the franchise. I’ll never forget how hard we all laughed seeing it in the theater.

https://youtu.be/cKY7ZFabTq8?si=pCYWdDtr9eMEmq8u

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

skasion posted:

Alien 3 is a good sequel to Alien, but a bad sequel to Aliens

Alien3 would have been much better regarded as a standalone film within the Alien franchise, rather than a direct sequel to Aliens.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

edogawa rando posted:

Alien3 would have been much better regarded as a standalone film within the Alien franchise, rather than a direct sequel to Aliens.

I dunno. It killed off Ripley in a pretty metal way, which had to happen at some point.

But then, well, we got Resurrection to... yeah.

Anyways. Watch this up until at least 2 min 48 sec.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjQ2t_yNHQs

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

madeintaipei posted:

Anyways. Watch this up until at least 2 min 48 sec.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjQ2t_yNHQs
Texas 2020 :lmao:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Just a leetle bit more CGI fuckery to make The Politician Cruz and it would be perfect.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

madeintaipei posted:

I dunno. It killed off Ripley in a pretty metal way, which had to happen at some point.

But then, well, we got Resurrection to... yeah.

A fair chunk of the criticism stems it not really coping with having to live within the large shadow the previous two films casts, especially the way in which it treated Hicks and Newt. I feel like making it a standalone within the Alien universe would have offset a lot of those issues.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

madeintaipei posted:

Just a leetle bit more CGI fuckery to make The Politician Cruz and it would be perfect.

It's Abbott, the aliens altered his brain and body so he could walk.

Stunt-Puffin
May 19, 2023

I'm not reading 300 pages, but have you guys talked about Batman: Dead End yet?

It was a 8 minute short film shown at Comic Con in 2003 (2 whole years before Batman Begins) and it depicts Batman vs the Joker vs Aliens vs Predators and it does it VERY loving WELL.

Kevin Smith said it was "possibly the truest, best Batman movie ever made," and in 2003 I would totally agree. Fan made explorations of nerdy IP's were still incredibly rare back then and the lighting, sets, and costumes were absolutely fantastic for that era and budget. The shot where Batman's cape retracts as he rises after a superhero landing is one of the most beautiful things ever recorded on film.

If you don't know what the hell I'm talking about just watch the video. Batman fights a loving alien and it's awesome.

https://youtu.be/PKPmNeZSjf8?feature=shared

Fun Fact: The Joker was played by 'Boner' from Growing Pains shortly before he died.

Stunt-Puffin
May 19, 2023

https://i.makeagif.com/media/2-16-2019/k2jnTa.mp4

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

MrMojok posted:

It’s one of my all-time favorite moments from the franchise. I’ll never forget how hard we all laughed seeing it in the theater.

https://youtu.be/cKY7ZFabTq8?si=pCYWdDtr9eMEmq8u

The scene afterward where the poor guy is cleaning up the mess and trying to avoid the vent. Gets me every time.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Stunt-Puffin posted:

It was a 8 minute short film shown at Comic Con in 2003 (2 whole years before Batman Begins) and it depicts Batman vs the Joker vs Aliens vs Predators and it does it VERY loving WELL.

Kevin Smith said it was "possibly the truest, best Batman movie ever made," and in 2003 I would totally agree. Fan made explorations of nerdy IP's were still incredibly rare back then and the lighting, sets, and costumes were absolutely fantastic for that era and budget. The shot where Batman's cape retracts as he rises after a superhero landing is one of the most beautiful things ever recorded on film.

If you don't know what the hell I'm talking about just watch the video. Batman fights a loving alien and it's awesome.

Fun Fact: The Joker was played by 'Boner' from Growing Pains shortly before he died.

I remember a lot of copycats and pseudosequel projects spawned from it. Worlds Finest and Grayson were two of them.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Red Rox posted:

The scene afterward where the poor guy is cleaning up the mess and trying to avoid the vent. Gets me every time.

He was ready to play Alien: Isolation

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I will also say that the first video linked upthread was an absolutely perfect representation of online dating today

Hell, maybe the A3 video is also.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Stunt-Puffin posted:

I hadn’t heard of this, despite being Terminally Online since the mid-90s. I almost wish I hadn’t learned about it via the Aliens thread, because seeing a little Batman v. Joker scene suddenly going “oh, and here’s a Xenomorph” would have been beautiful to see without warning.

Unironically the best batsuit put on film, bring back spandex you cowards.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Is it ever explained in Resurrection how they got Ripley's DNA to clone her? I'm not gonna watch that pile of poo poo again fo find out.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I think she splattered blood when the alien queen burst out of her chest that managed to fly fifteen feet upward and land squarely on a corrugated metal walkway or some dumb poo poo

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I don't think it's that big of a stretch to say they found some dna, I mean they could've just checked her sleeping pod. How they cloned both her and the alien with it is a bigger mystery imo :shrug:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mister Speaker posted:

Is it ever explained in Resurrection how they got Ripley's DNA to clone her? I'm not gonna watch that pile of poo poo again fo find out.

They presumably did routine blood draw on her when she was thawing out in hospital at the start of Aliens. If that didn’t become research material immediately, it sure did after the rest of her DNA fell into a vat of molten lead.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mister Speaker posted:

IIRC they say they were able to do it from her cut off hair.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

edogawa rando posted:

A fair chunk of the criticism stems it not really coping with having to live within the large shadow the previous two films casts, especially the way in which it treated Hicks and Newt. I feel like making it a standalone within the Alien universe would have offset a lot of those issues.

I saw Alien 3 in theaters, without having seen Alien or Aliens yet, and I can tell you that it was awesome.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
If companies don't have DNA testing or swabbing on actual real life Earth right now it's only a matter of time. I find the idea that Weyland-Yutani might have a full transcript of each employee's genome remarkably easy to imagine.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Sure but it would have to be a sample after she got impregnated

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

They never actually say where the DNA came from, but the prevailing theory is that Clemens took some of her blood at the start of the movie.

Also I’m going to meet Michael Biehn today!!!!

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Xenomrph posted:

They never actually say where the DNA came from, but the prevailing theory is that Clemens took some of her blood at the start of the movie.

Pretty sure there was a specific line in Resurrection where they mentioned using “blood and tissue samples from Fury 161”. Which yeah, makes perfect sense for a doctor simultaneously trying to diagnose a patient and identify them to collect, not even counting what the EEV might have collected either during the original journey or when Ripley used it to find the queen. And I know the alien life cycle theory post-Prometheus is that the facehugger injects a variant of the black goo to make the victim start generating the chestburster, so there being DNA changes that could be detected to reconstruct the queen in Ripley’s clone makes sense too.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Also I’m going to meet Michael Biehn today!!!!

Loved that guy in Tombstone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Biplane posted:

Loved that guy in Far Cry: Blood Dragon