Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Raygereio posted:

I think a sorted list is close to ~optimal~ as we can get for an inventory. At least, any game that I've played that tries anything else for the inventory was more annoying or cumbersome to deal with.

For me the solution has always been a simple quality over quantity. Walking through a dungeon and picking up 30 rusty iron daggers gets old eventually. While picking up a single item that has a unique effect and some story attached to it, will always be neat.

idk, mods have already shown that there's plenty of room for improvement even within those confines. just adding icons and having better categorization and sorting goes a long way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Orv posted:

How long would you say rushing the main quest would be? Vague guess is fine.

some reviewers are saying around 20 hours when mainlining to NG+

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Rinkles posted:

idk, mods have already shown that there's plenty of room for improvement even within those confines. just adding icons and having better categorization and sorting goes a long way.

StarUI will be one of the first mods I install

The ACG review was pretty dang positive. Right on point with what I’m expecting out of the game.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 31, 2023

Orv
May 4, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Probably 15-ish hours? It's a bit hard to judge because obviously I spent a lot of time faffing about doing other stuff.

Fair, thanks.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

is there a list of all the skills and their effects?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sounds like PC performance is pretty rough. Was hoping this 3080 wouldn't need to get put out to pasture so soon.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I get Imp's gripe about the POIs being plopped right on your map when you go somewhere, since there is that bit of exploratory joy when you're just going from point A to point B and see a cave and decide to just jump in and see what happens. But look at it from a designer's point of view, they're dealing with procedural-genned barren worlds where you land and then there's like sixteen square miles or ever how much land generated around the landing site, and a lot of people have the IQ of a turnip, so if they don't see something ASAP they're going to flock to whatever forum and immediately post 'ALL THE PLANETS ARE EMPTY WTF' instead of slogging around ten miles worth of sand and rocks to find the half-buried shipwreck that the RNG stuck there.

What I'd have done is tied it into the scanny doohickey, so if you're raised the skill you can use it to ping out around you and find stuff, like the compass POI indicators in Oblivion and Skyrim. That way you do still need to get out and look around some instead of beelining right to the thing from your ship's ladder, but you do have some assistance in finding stuff.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

fadam posted:

Sounds like PC performance is pretty rough. Was hoping this 3080 wouldn't need to get put out to pasture so soon.

have you seen any good technical analysis?

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
drat this came in faster than I thought it would today. I'm glad the watch band can be switched out and isn't just one piece like I thought it was. Time to pre-load!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not entirely sure. There's a couple of neat things. My general feeling is that if you end up thinking you're going to want the NG+ stuff you should beeline it and if you don't think you'll care then it isn't worth doing.

What I found in my playthrough: (Again, minimal spoilers but you can make inferences)

'Alternate' main quest which mostly lets you skip to the end.
Special dialogue options
A special ship
A special set of armor
Upgraded powers.

Can you level up everything or is there a cap?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Just your standard BGS backlash

Sad really

yeah the industry is so biased against Bethesda

NOT!!!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

gonna beeline to NG+ and then sink 200 hours into that

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

The 100% dude said you could level everything up and you’d be well past level 100

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

is there a list of all the skills and their effects?
There's a pretty good character creator. Select your Background and then clicking on Physical, Combat etc for the skills. Traits linked below that.

https://nukesdragons.com/starfield

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

MarcusSA posted:

The 100% dude said you could level everything up and you’d be well past level 100

Cool. :) I like doing that in these games.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Rinkles posted:

have you seen any good technical analysis?

Nothing in depth. That Saudi outlet posted their specs (3080ti etc.) and was apparently struggling to hit 60 fps 1440+ medium settings.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

PeePot posted:

There's a pretty good character creator. Select your Background and then clicking on Physical, Combat etc for the skills. Traits linked below that.

https://nukesdragons.com/starfield

ty

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
drat they won over Gerstmann. Wasn't expecting that after Fallout 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vPX2y5RdVg

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not entirely sure. There's a couple of neat things. My general feeling is that if you end up thinking you're going to want the NG+ stuff you should beeline it and if you don't think you'll care then it isn't worth doing.

What I found in my playthrough: (Again, minimal spoilers but you can make inferences)

'Alternate' main quest which mostly lets you skip to the end.
Special dialogue options
A special ship
A special set of armor
Upgraded powers.

Does the NG+ situation impact faction quests, etc.? Those side quests tend to be pretty good in BG games (and I’ve heard they’re good here), so I don’t want to miss that stuff.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Perfect Potato posted:

drat they won over Gerstmann. Wasn't expecting that after Fallout 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vPX2y5RdVg

I’m a professional streamer who streams from a messy hovel

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

I’m a professional streamer who streams from a messy hovel

the 40-year-olds who watch him don't give a gently caress that he doesn't have a bunch of action figures prominently displayed behind him

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

In practice it seems like you can go to infinity, in actuality you probably have around 40-45 'levels' before it starts getting intolerably grindy. I can't imagine the time you'd have to dedicate to max everything out.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zokari posted:

the 40-year-olds who watch him don't give a gently caress that he doesn't have a bunch of action figures prominently displayed behind him

Ok? Maybe they should clean their rooms.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Maybe you should block this karate chop

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

VanillaGorilla posted:

Does the NG+ situation impact faction quests, etc.? Those side quests tend to be pretty good in BG games (and I’ve heard they’re good here), so I don’t want to miss that stuff.

All quests are reset. There are a couple of quests where you have to make choices so you can take the alternate path on a NG+. Occasionally there is special dialogue which lets you skip parts of a quest.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
So I do actually have a question for anygoons who've already played: Stealth. Is there any point, or do you open a door to a place and wind up in a warehouse with six dudes staring at you with guns already drawn? If the maps tend to have few or no ways to move around out of view of the NPCs, then there's not a lot of point in planning on a sneaky playstyle.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Sounds like my plans to maybe pick this up in five years from now or whatever was the prudent and correct decision.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

fadam posted:

Nothing in depth. That Saudi outlet posted their specs (3080ti etc.) and was apparently struggling to hit 60 fps 1440+ medium settings.

Noooooooooooooooooooo Looks like I'll be trying to find that DLSS mod.

Link? Someone earlier had a 2080 @ 1440p and was getting 45-60 on high settings.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i thought "streamers" were people who played video games and talked about it while playing i dont understand why we are seeing their rooms in the first place i thought the whole point was to watch them play the game??

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Valatar posted:

So I do actually have a question for anygoons who've already played: Stealth. Is there any point, or do you open a door to a place and wind up in a warehouse with six dudes staring at you with guns already drawn? If the maps tend to have few or no ways to move around out of view of the NPCs, then there's not a lot of point in planning on a sneaky playstyle.

No plot spoilers or anything:

Stealth is still very powerful though requires a heavier investment. Interiors are a lot more cramped and it isn't great on spaceships but to counter that the game gives you multiple ways to get cloaking and chameleon abilities so you can effective go invisible anywhere. There's one particular Power you get that makes stealth hilariously OP.

Earwicker posted:

i thought "streamers" were people who played video games and talked about it while playing i dont understand why we are seeing their rooms in the first place i thought the whole point was to watch them play the game??

There is a lot of data to suggest that people will be far more likely to watch a streamer if they are showing their face or an avatar that mimics their face.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Earwicker posted:

you can figure this out

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Can I kiss my ship?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

George Sex - REAL posted:

Can I kiss my ship?

Yes. If you have high enough science and pursue certain quests you can upgrade your ship AI and give it a hot holographic lady body. Or dude I think. This is all IMO

Orv
May 4, 2011

Can I kiss my ship?

Buddy once the modders get going you'll be able to kiss anything you want

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Some early GPU benchmarks. These are Ultra settings, but you're probably gonna wanna use FSR anyway.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/starfield-pc-performance-best-settings-fsr-2/

For reference, a 3060Ti is about as strong as a 2080 Super.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Some early GPU benchmarks. These are Ultra settings, but you're probably gonna wanna use FSR anyway.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/starfield-pc-performance-best-settings-fsr-2/

No 4090 on that list.

Sad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Can I kiss my ship?

This game is chaste as poo poo. Maybe it was coming right from BG3 but it was amazing how incredibly sexless everything is.

Maybe they figured out the modders will take care of all of that for them so they didn't bother.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Starfield: Full Flavor Outer Worlds

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rinkles posted:

What kind of FPS bar chart doesn't have 30 and 60 guide lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I kinda hate the idea of the NG+ stuff from what you described.

I mean, it's basically an exchange of "if you want to be able to upgrade these cool space powers, you have to pay with all the hard work you've done so far".
There should have been more stuff to bring forward than just your skills.

Kind of a dick move in a game you expect to invest a lot of time in.