Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

'Fireplace and TV in the same room but on different walls' is an eternal problem for which I wish I had a great solution. Could you put the TV in the lower right corner? That might make it a little bit easier.

hypnophant posted:

Personally I'd do Anne's layout but push the sectional to the left and put two armchairs facing each other over a chessboard in front of the fireplace but it's maybe too cute. Or if money's no object and you don't want the tv to be the centerpiece (and, honestly, dominate the room, if you get one sized appropriately for that room) get a giant custom u-shape sectional facing the window and put a smallish tv in the top right corner at an angle. It depends what you mean by "we wish to entertain" - if you mean host football parties then you want the tv to be the centerpiece, if it's cocktail parties or board game nights then that's too much tv imo

This is basically what I would do tho. If the TV is up on the wall, you could have a love seat or something between it and the sectional, a few feet off the bottom wall.

I also hate sectionals and would instead have to sofas where the sectional is with a small table at the corner with a lamp on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Note putting the sectional in the middle might require a higher budget one, lots of cheap ones have really ugly backs

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

X posting this here:

Any comments or opinions on the new color scheme I'm thinking about for my 1920s Craftsmanish house? Basically every other house I've seen locally has white or tan trim, but I am considering something darker that hopefully wont show as much mold/grime/mildew, and just for a different look.

Ignore my extremely lovely paint job, a highly trained and skilled and definitely not drunk painter will do the real thing.
Existing:

Proposed new:

Body: SW 2851 Sage Green Light
Trim: SW 2846 Roycroft Bronze Green
Window sashes/Doors/Shutters: SW 6994 Greenblack

One question I have is if I should do the eaves/soffet in the body color or the trim color like they are now. I would definitely do the fascia and raftertails in the darker green trim color. I guess maybe doing the rafters and roof deck boards different colors might be a huge pain in the rear end.

I also don't think I like the Greenblack. I think I'd do a darker, blacker black and probably in a gloss instead of satin like everything else.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Me and my GF just bought a two-bedroom condo, and are toying with the idea of using the smaller, darker bedroom as the full-time sleeper and using the primary bedroom (which has a ton of natural light and access to the main porch) as additional living space. The thought at the moment would be to use it as a game room for when we have folks over to play cards, as another lounge area for when we want separate spaces, and maybe save a little room for a small workout area. It's around 15x15 so we probably don't get all that in, but that's sort of what we're thinking.

We still want it to be able to function as a guest room, though, and were looking into murphy beds. Is the extra expense worth the upgrade over a good sleeper sofa? Any other ideas for maximizing that space while keeping it flexible?

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
We did a Lori wall bed when we needed to swap our guest bedroom into a home office that can sometimes be used as a guest bedroom. Might check them out and see if they suit what you need.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

X posting this here:

Any comments or opinions on the new color scheme I'm thinking about for my 1920s Craftsmanish house? Basically every other house I've seen locally has white or tan trim, but I am considering something darker that hopefully wont show as much mold/grime/mildew, and just for a different look.

Ignore my extremely lovely paint job, a highly trained and skilled and definitely not drunk painter will do the real thing.
Existing:

Proposed new:

Body: SW 2851 Sage Green Light
Trim: SW 2846 Roycroft Bronze Green
Window sashes/Doors/Shutters: SW 6994 Greenblack

One question I have is if I should do the eaves/soffet in the body color or the trim color like they are now. I would definitely do the fascia and raftertails in the darker green trim color. I guess maybe doing the rafters and roof deck boards different colors might be a huge pain in the rear end.

I also don't think I like the Greenblack. I think I'd do a darker, blacker black and probably in a gloss instead of satin like everything else.

I'd be a bit worried about going with a body colour darker than your current one with a trim colour that dark. The darkest body colours that I can find online which look good with dark trim are brick houses, which is obviously a different thing entirely. Try and find some reference pictures for what you're going for maybe?

I do like both your new colours on their own though.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
We have a sleeper sofa downstairs and it works well for our needs (occasional guests). The downsides are: it was really heavy/bulky, the mattress is only fine, and the couch part is only fine.

morestuff posted:

Any other ideas for maximizing that space while keeping it flexible?

One lesson we learned (which should have been obvious in retrospect) is that if you fill up the spare room with chairs, tables, other furniture, exercise equipment, plants, or general other clutter; when the time comes to use it as a bedroom all that other stuff needs to actually GO some place so guests can have some space.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

If I ever decide to plan a guest space in my house it'll be a murphy bed or just a nice inflatable mattress. I've never had a comfortable night's sleep on a sleeper sofa ever in my entire life. They always suck.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Where do I get high quality California King blankets and comforters that won't fall apart or be uncomfortable?

Sirotan posted:

If I ever decide to plan a guest space in my house it'll be a murphy bed or just a nice inflatable mattress. I've never had a comfortable night's sleep on a sleeper sofa ever in my entire life. They always suck.

I really like mine but the thread also hated it when I posted it last time so

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

KillHour posted:

Where do I get high quality California King blankets and comforters that won't fall apart or be uncomfortable?

I really like mine but the thread also hated it when I posted it last time so

You might try asking in the mattress megathread, the resident expert Synastren can probably make some good recommendations though he sometimes takes a couple days or so to respond.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

You might try asking in the mattress megathread, the resident expert Synastren can probably make some good recommendations though he sometimes takes a couple days or so to respond.

Will do. Thanks.

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

KillHour posted:

It's too bad these don't come in cal king size, because the one I have is the best blanket ever.

https://berkshireblanket.com/products/eco-polartec-softec-microfleece-blanket?variant=41414954614963

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

it shriveled up posted:

It's too bad these don't come in cal king size, because the one I have is the best blanket ever.

https://berkshireblanket.com/products/eco-polartec-softec-microfleece-blanket?variant=41414954614963

I should add that my partner is really picky about materials and hates polyester anything. But thanks for the suggestion. Right now we're using a down-filled cotton comforter but it's a queen so we fight over it constantly.

Edit: something like this but in Cali King might be good
https://berkshireblanket.com/products/organic-linen-duvet-set

Double Edit: yes I realize it is the middle of August and using a down comforter is insane. She also insists on setting the AC to 67(!) while we sleep and I'm loving freezing to death but she will stab me if I change it. For reasons.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 24, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I keep mine set at 69. It's a nice temperature I think.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

KillHour posted:

. She also insists on setting the AC to 67(!) while we sleep and I'm loving freezing to death but she will stab me if I change it. For reasons.

This is generally around the accepted temperature it should be when you’re sleeping.

Also I’m jealous, my wife would rather it be like 75 degrees. Anything over 70 degrees seems insane to try to sleep in.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
75 seems ok - cold enough that you need a blanket but not so cold you need multiple blankets. In winter I set my heater to 25c which is 77f but I turn it off right before I go to bed. I go to bed around 4am, and by the time I get up around midday to 1pm the outside temp has risen to about 23-25 so I can be the perfect temperature the whole time.

In summer the outside temp only drops to around 28 - 30c or so overnight so I sleep with the aircon on and set it to 25c which helps me sleep and also means I’m not waking up roasting in my own juices with a headache when the temp hits 38 or so before I get up.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

75 degrees I would be pouring sweat even without a sheet on me. You people are sick.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

RCarr posted:

75 degrees I would be pouring sweat even without a sheet on me. You people are sick.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I convince myself its okay to keep my AC on 67 at night during the summer by setting my heat to 55 in the winter.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

RCarr posted:

Nah at that temp I’d stop wearing shorts and a short sleeve shirt and switch to jeans and a rugby top.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I never set the AC below 73 because I care about the environment and I’m not (yet) circus fat.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If you can't survive sleeping in 65/67 degrees then you should do what nature is trying to and let your body give up.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Dave posted:

If you can't survive sleeping in 65/67 degrees then you should do what nature is trying to and let your body give up.

Welcome to the glories of menopause, population me.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Welcome to the glories of menopause, population me.

Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses › Interior Design Q&A: Welcome to the glories of menopause, population me.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Depends on the climate imo. Growing up anything over 72 at night was miserable, but we lived in a very humid climate. I moved to a very dry state and now 73-75 is right in the zone for me. If I go back east though you better believe that hotel AC is cranked to 68.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Our old oversized single-stage AC required temps around 70 or lower for it to be comfortable, because it would short-cycle. The two-stage is much more comfortable at 74 because it is a dehumidification champ.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I would like some assistance on how to best design or layout my living room space. I have a ~191" (15 ft 11 inches) wall on which I have our TV, receiver, stereo floor speakers, subwoofer, PS5, etc.

I have been wanting to install some built in cabinets and a bookshelf on this wall to get some more storage space and just have a nicer looking living room.

We have a Blu Dot New Standard left chaise sofa which is 105" wide, that's centered in front of our kitchen island, which is just around the same width-- maybe 110". I cannot recall the specifics off the top of my head.

I plan to purchase a new 77" LG OLED TV since I've had our 65" unit for almost 12+ years.

Now, I know there are brands like BDI which make media center cabinets for audiophile types that can support speakers inside of them-- have good airflow, etc, but I cannot envision a good way to layout the existing space to use something like this + some shelving units.
https://www.bdiusa.com/products/corridor-8173-low-profile-modern-tv-stand-entertainment-center

I have a friend who is an architect and has done interior and cabinet designs and has told me he would help me come up with a custom design, but life has gotten in the way and he has never gotten around to doing that.

I've also reached out to some carpenters that my friend used for his custom home, but over the past two years that I've contacted they've declined taking on a job.

The current space looks like this. The master bedroom is through the doorway to the right, the left hall are two bedrooms and a guest bathroom.
Blue tape was to try and see just how big the 77" and 83" LGs looked. The sofa is ~10-11ft from the wall.

Old photos of the island when I remodeled the kitchen:

Mock-up using Room and Board Keaton Bookcase/Wall Unit plus an additional floor unit. Each section of the Keaton appears to be about 60" long, so if I did something silly, I could span the entire wall with this system with 10" or so to spare.
https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/storage-and-entryway/bookcases-and-wall-units/keaton-bookcase-wall-units/490495

The problem with the Room and Board option is that their cabinets are probably not really designed for things like stereo receivers inside of them.

If I end up with a built-in cabinet option I will purchase some new bookshelf stereo and center channel speakers. I will probably, also locate the subwoofer somewhere in the living room with a remote/wireless unit.

TL;DR: I think that I want some sort of long, low built in cabinets around the TV space, along with another cabinet + book/display shelves on the right. How do I figure out what will look good here and what to do?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Going to just comment on the BDI Corridor: I have one and the fact that it has hidden wheels on the legs has been an absolute godsend every time I've had to change a cable or hook up some new/replacement piece of AV equipment. It also makes cleaning behind and under it effortless. I also love not seeing my speakers.

They do make a stereo cabinet that matches as well but those two pieces together probably still don't take up enough of a footprint on that wall like you're looking for.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

MetaJew posted:

I would like some assistance on how to best design or layout my living room space. I have a ~191" (15 ft 11 inches) wall on which I have our TV, receiver, stereo floor speakers, subwoofer, PS5, etc.

I have been wanting to install some built in cabinets and a bookshelf on this wall to get some more storage space and just have a nicer looking living room.

We have a Blu Dot New Standard left chaise sofa which is 105" wide, that's centered in front of our kitchen island, which is just around the same width-- maybe 110". I cannot recall the specifics off the top of my head.

I plan to purchase a new 77" LG OLED TV since I've had our 65" unit for almost 12+ years.

Now, I know there are brands like BDI which make media center cabinets for audiophile types that can support speakers inside of them-- have good airflow, etc, but I cannot envision a good way to layout the existing space to use something like this + some shelving units.
https://www.bdiusa.com/products/corridor-8173-low-profile-modern-tv-stand-entertainment-center

I have a friend who is an architect and has done interior and cabinet designs and has told me he would help me come up with a custom design, but life has gotten in the way and he has never gotten around to doing that.

I've also reached out to some carpenters that my friend used for his custom home, but over the past two years that I've contacted they've declined taking on a job.

The current space looks like this. The master bedroom is through the doorway to the right, the left hall are two bedrooms and a guest bathroom.
Blue tape was to try and see just how big the 77" and 83" LGs looked. The sofa is ~10-11ft from the wall.

Old photos of the island when I remodeled the kitchen:

Mock-up using Room and Board Keaton Bookcase/Wall Unit plus an additional floor unit. Each section of the Keaton appears to be about 60" long, so if I did something silly, I could span the entire wall with this system with 10" or so to spare.
https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/storage-and-entryway/bookcases-and-wall-units/keaton-bookcase-wall-units/490495

The problem with the Room and Board option is that their cabinets are probably not really designed for things like stereo receivers inside of them.

If I end up with a built-in cabinet option I will purchase some new bookshelf stereo and center channel speakers. I will probably, also locate the subwoofer somewhere in the living room with a remote/wireless unit.

TL;DR: I think that I want some sort of long, low built in cabinets around the TV space, along with another cabinet + book/display shelves on the right. How do I figure out what will look good here and what to do?

You could save a lot of money by not watching tv or playing video games and spending money on stereo equipment you won’t want to hide in a cabinet cause they look cool. Or you could get a piano for free on Craigslist and put a piano there.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Sirotan posted:

Going to just comment on the BDI Corridor: I have one and the fact that it has hidden wheels on the legs has been an absolute godsend every time I've had to change a cable or hook up some new/replacement piece of AV equipment. It also makes cleaning behind and under it effortless. I also love not seeing my speakers.

They do make a stereo cabinet that matches as well but those two pieces together probably still don't take up enough of a footprint on that wall like you're looking for.

Yeah I have two friends that have praised those caster features on BDI cabinets. I totally get it and see how they would be great, I just don't know how to work it into my space.

I'm working with a 1991 Texas builder home that has basically no built in organization or storage. I've been slowly trying to remedy these problems since I bought the house in 2015. (I'd love to get a bigger home and sort of start from scratch to have a more cohesive design, but property values have shot up so high that I think we'll be living here for the foreseeable future.)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

BigFactory posted:

You could save a lot of money by not watching tv or playing video games and spending money on stereo equipment you won’t want to hide in a cabinet cause they look cool. Or you could get a piano for free on Craigslist and put a piano there.

Wife and I both play games and stuff so I don't think that's in the cards. Thanks tho.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

MetaJew posted:

Wife and I both play games and stuff so I don't think that's in the cards. Thanks tho.

You can still get a few free pianos and put them in there for storage.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Idea: piano as a tv stand, it even has a lid for cable storage

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016

MetaJew posted:

Don’t take this the wrong way, but uh what’s the problem? It sounds like you’ve got a decent handle on what to do. I’m not getting why you can’t do the BDI unit plus shelves (too long?) or the Room and Board thing.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

ohhyeah posted:

Don’t take this the wrong way, but uh what’s the problem? It sounds like you’ve got a decent handle on what to do. I’m not getting why you can’t do the BDI unit plus shelves (too long?) or the Room and Board thing.

Have any suggestions on shelving unit that would pair well with the BDI unit if I went that direction?

I'm indecisive for sure. My worry is just buying a bunch of random expensive furniture with no cohesion. When I go looking for inspiration on Houzz/Pinterest/Google I get a lot of TV-Too-High stuff and modern farmhouse interior decor that's not my thing.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
Someone else will have to help with expensive furniture but I have Ikea recommendations.

An easy single bookshelf would be like a HEMNES in black+wood. Or pair the BDI console with some ladder shelves from the same company.

However for some reason I’m seeing a sideboard plus floating shelves. I wouldn’t want to compete with the BDI console’s wood so a non-wood look BESTA, or maybe you like the metal FJALLBO. Floating shelves are whatever, BERGSHULT has a bunch of options, but we have some EKET cubes that look good.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

As a side note, has IKEA gotten any better about shipping? I live 400 miles from an IKEA store and I got all excited a while ago that I could order stuff online, but then shipping was going to be $400 for a $100 table because they wanted to deliver it in an IKEA truck and not hand it to UPS.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

lol nope

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Huge business opportunity for someone living near an IKEA to go pickup orders and take them to UPS to ship for a reasonable cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

As a side note, has IKEA gotten any better about shipping? I live 400 miles from an IKEA store and I got all excited a while ago that I could order stuff online, but then shipping was going to be $400 for a $100 table because they wanted to deliver it in an IKEA truck and not hand it to UPS.
As noted, no. But it's weird, they seem to really resist having some 'central repository' of things they ship from and always seem to rely on ones 'local' Ikea, which for most of us, is hours away.

And yes when i've had delivery it's always a few guys that seem hired off the street driving a rented box truck.