Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

They need Data there so that they don't need to play by the "just let the Klingon win" rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

there's always that guy you invite because they like to shuffle

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

davidspackage posted:

A warrior would raise, Worf.
Worf won't raise anyone

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Flipperwaldt posted:

Worf won't raise anyone

Oh my god :lol: that took me a second

Incremus
Aug 7, 2003

Oh no, I'm so sorry, it's the Moops.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Worf won't raise anyone

:drat:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

davidspackage posted:

Oh my god :lol: that took me a second

Poor Alexander.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Also, it was quite a twist the DS9 ended up not knowing what to do with Jake - who was a 7 season top billed character, and yet mostly disappeared from the show. And Nog - freaking Nog, the kid who couldn't read! - got quite the arc and plenty of storylines.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

redshirt posted:

Also, it was quite a twist the DS9 ended up not knowing what to do with Jake - who was a 7 season top billed character, and yet mostly disappeared from the show. And Nog - freaking Nog, the kid who couldn't read! - got quite the arc and plenty of storylines.

I've said this before, but my money is on that they wanted to avoid getting into another Wesley Crusher situation with Jake so they opted to give him very little to do, besides hang around in the show with his friends as a glorified extra.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Worf would be such an easy person to win money off of as long as you don’t intentionally aggravate him to the point of stabbing you or something.

Yea but he's garbage at stabbing people. I'd risk it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Der Kyhe posted:

I've said this before, but my money is on that they wanted to avoid getting into another Wesley Crusher situation with Jake so they opted to give him very little to do, besides hang around in the show with his friends as a glorified extra.

Yeah Jake is just there to be an aspect of Capt. Sisko's character. Like how Dr. Crusher was there just to be Wesley's mom.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Eighties ZomCom posted:

He was able to tell that the clones were lying to him about Riker in the Space Irish episode, but I don't think it ever comes up again.

Geordie was lying. Geordie tells a lot of lies

Flipperwaldt posted:

Worf won't raise anyone

ahahaha bijjed his rear end

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
jake was a pretty boring character, yeah. he's very normal. but i don't know how they could have made him more interesting without him stepping foot into The O'Brien Zone.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah Jake is just there to be an aspect of Capt. Sisko's character. Like how Dr. Crusher was there just to be Wesley's mom.

Rom :colbert:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rom got his own arc independent of Nog. And he married Leeta. Big win.

Suck it Bashir!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Eighties ZomCom posted:

He was able to tell that the clones were lying to him about Riker in the Space Irish episode, but I don't think it ever comes up again.

In practical terms he should only be able to tell when someone's lying after getting to know them for a while. Then again, talking to a bunch of clones would give you a baseline sample much faster than usual.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

redshirt posted:

Rom got his own arc independent of Nog. And he married Leeta. Big win.

Suck it Bashir!

I actually meant Nog :colbert:

Nog :colbert:

naem
May 29, 2011

the Space Friends©️™️ on the diplomacy flagship def did not cheat at cards

they almost all have magic powers when it come to cheating and could annihilate any opponent with zero problems, all of them, but of course they would never do that because they play the game by the rules! Isn’t it great to be friends and play nice?

this mirrors star fleet’s giant fuckoff armada of gunships roaming the galaxy looking for conquest Friendship©️™️ Fleet™️©️ of wacky pals who are fun to be with.

You want to be FRIENDS right? It would be SUCH a SHAME if all these weapons got launched we couldn’t be friends.

Play By The Rules And Be Friends And Let The Plain Vanilla Human Win©️™️©️ that’s the galactic empire Star Fleet way

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

naem posted:

the Space Friends©️™️ on the diplomacy flagship def did not cheat at cards

they almost all have magic powers when it come to cheating and could annihilate any opponent with zero problems, all of them, but of course they would never do that because they play the game by the rules! Isn’t it great to be friends and play nice?

this mirrors star fleet’s giant fuckoff armada of gunships roaming the galaxy looking for conquest Friendship©️™️ Fleet™️©️ of wacky pals who are fun to be with.

You want to be FRIENDS right? It would be SUCH a SHAME if all these weapons got launched we couldn’t be friends.

Play By The Rules And Be Friends And Let The Plain Vanilla Human Win©️™️©️ that’s the galactic empire Star Fleet way

...Start a fight and our resident supercomputerman will put a fist through you and maybe the bulkhead behind you.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Der Kyhe posted:

...Start a fight and our resident supercomputerman will put a fist through you and maybe the bulkhead behind you.

That’s not how strong people fight in Star Trek. They grab a person by both shoulders and fling them

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Trying posted:

That’s not how strong people fight in Star Trek. They grab a person by both shoulders and fling them

Double overhand punch!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
data can't not count cards. that's just how his brain works.

naem
May 29, 2011

a sentient supercomputer
a literal mind reader
a violent honor bound klingon
a human with x-ray computer eyes

all put aside their advantages to let:

Riker, the plain vanilla human, win at a human game, every week

in this essay, I will discuss how this mirrors The United Federation of Planets and their apparent and actual values and how they usjrhsheirbehddjdhhduejehedj

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

redshirt posted:

Double overhand punch!

They grab a lamp and do the absolutely illegal street version of Anbo-jyutsu.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

data can't not count cards. that's just how his brain works.

That reminds me about that bit when Data was testing "A watched pot never boils" and Riker is all "People don't have internal chronometers. Try turning it off" and then leaves.

naem posted:

a sentient supercomputer
a literal mind reader
a violent honor bound klingon
a human with x-ray computer eyes

all put aside their advantages to let:

Riker, the plain vanilla human, win at a human game, every week

Worf is the patsy in this game. Riker is like, the poker batman. He knows everyone's weakness.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Flipperwaldt posted:

Worf won't raise anyone

:drat:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

redshirt posted:

On top of that, the best Jake episode barely even had Jake’s actor in it at all (The Visitor)

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

redshirt posted:

Double overhand punch!

Running jump kick! (Two boots to the chest!)

The only time we saw stupid TOS-style stunt fighting that I can remember on TNG is in Conspiracy where Riker's stunt double does a standing kick to the admiral's face (2-3 times maybe?)

I guess humans have just evolved out of WWE and van Damme-style combat by that time.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Admiralty Flag posted:

Running jump kick! (Two boots to the chest!)

The only time we saw stupid TOS-style stunt fighting that I can remember on TNG is in Conspiracy where Riker's stunt double does a standing kick to the admiral's face (2-3 times maybe?)

I guess humans have just evolved out of WWE and van Damme-style combat by that time.

Bullcookies, Kid Picard was all about the Kirk-Fu in "Tapestry".

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

CainFortea posted:

Worf is the patsy in this game. Riker is like, the poker batman. He knows everyone's weakness.

Riker's sexual charisma clouds up the air and everyone loses their edge

He only needs to barely flash those trombonesman arms to make all the interstellar beings swoon

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Everyone is just sucking up to the boss. Aww geez lost again sir...so about that away mission...

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

redshirt posted:

Geordi's Visor: A Window Into The Soul (and underpants)

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

hologram leah never farts

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Sedgr posted:

Everyone is just sucking up to the boss. Aww geez lost again sir...so about that away mission...

Oh no, I lost all my pretend money. gg sir.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

appropriatemetaphor posted:

hologram leah never farts

Nope, she farts every few minutes, just how Geordi likes.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Jake does actually have an arc in the show. You get to see.life in the future from the standpoint of a writer. Jake's really idealistic and wants to just be a writer.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

mycomancy posted:

Nope, she farts every few minutes, just how Geordi likes.

Can the holodeck create smells? If it cant then whats even the point?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Gutcruncher posted:

Can the holodeck create smells? If it cant then whats even the point?

It makes other matter with which to interact, and synthesizing small quantities of putrescene, cadaverine, fecole, and methane into the air in the right quantities to give the holodeck that "Brahm's Boutique" smell is child's play.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

archer: i look at you, and I see the person i used to be! i lost something out there and idk how to get it back ;-;

woman: *kisses him* if youve lost something, maybe i can help you find it

sweetie i dont think sucking and loving on the top of a mountain is going to make this guys ptsd go away

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

you have to suck and gently caress on at least a Y class planet for it to make the ptsd go away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

alexandriao posted:

you have to suck and gently caress on at least a Y class planet for it to make the ptsd go away

Worked for Odo and Quark.