Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

CCCR PCA HDPE at Laguna Seca:

https://i.imgur.com/8erda5u.mp4

If you ever have the chance to drive this track, DO IT.

The most amazing car out there was my instructor's 1960 356 Speedster. Also two new GT4RS and one new GT3RS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Elite Taco posted:

change the thread title already.

Yes

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Elite Taco posted:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Elite Taco posted:

It's on my to do list for today

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

:glomp:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Does this mean I have to buy another one??

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

But then you need 4 if you have 2. It's the perfect pyramid scheme!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Coincident with the thread title: the guy I bought my 955 from bought two at an estate sale.

He can clearly afford it now that I bought the one from him

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 29, 2023

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I am starting to get the "I have enjoyed doing work on a well-kept 986... I wonder if I'm ready for a real project car..." worms.

Note: My e91 is still sitting in the driveway with a dad A/C compressor. Also, looks like the wiper fluid tank on my 986 has a crack in it.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

This is a cool looking car, but I am happy with my Boxster that cost a fraction of the price:

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/d/portland-porsche/7660339763.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
You got a Boxster for less than $77?? :v:

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
I couldnt afford 5, back down to 2.

SOLD SOLD SOLD

2004 Cayenne Turbo
2005 Boxster S
2006 Carrera C2

Still have
2014 Panamera Turbo S Executive
2016 981 Spyder.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

As the OP, name should stay

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

kensei posted:

This is a cool looking car, but I am happy with my Boxster that cost a fraction of the price:

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/d/portland-porsche/7660339763.html

One of the rare times "invested" on a CL ad might actually be appropriate.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

slidebite posted:

One of the rare times "invested" on a CL ad might actually be appropriate.

I drove a speedster years ago on maui on the road to hana, absolute PoS, I cant believe all the people who go nuts over 356's, it was a bathtub with a lawnmower engine attached. I'll take even a 986 base over it any day.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
horses for courses, tbh

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arione posted:

I cant believe all the people who go nuts over 356's, it was a bathtub with a lawnmower engine attached.

This all happened when 70s/80s 911s got stupid expensive. It was the next "budget" choice the classic porsche crowd moved on to.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Motronic posted:

This all happened when 70s/80s 911s got stupid expensive. It was the next "budget" choice the classic porsche crowd moved on to.

by soon to be brother in law asked me to find him a green 964.... I did, it was 100k miles 1992 C2 asking 300k..... called him an idiot and told him to buy a ferrari if he has that kinda cash

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The last photo of James Dean & the iconic Speedster was taken at a gas station a few blocks from my house.

It hadn't been a gas station for decades, I used to get flowers from the florist that inhabited the spot and was very surprised when I saw this photo/story as I had no idea it was in my 'hood. They tore it down a couple years ago and now it's a Whole Foods.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Maaaan that's a cool photo

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Arione posted:

by soon to be brother in law asked me to find him a green 964.... I did, it was 100k miles 1992 C2 asking 300k..... called him an idiot and told him to buy a ferrari if he has that kinda cash

:psyduck:

Who is asking 300k for a 100k mile 964? A husband that doesn't want to sell?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

:psyduck:

Who is asking 300k for a 100k mile 964? A husband that doesn't want to sell?

Absolutely yes

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Grateful to poke my head in and see some realistic discussion with regards to worst-case maintenance costs. I'm in a position where I can save enough cash that an N/A 996 wouldn't be too ridiculous a stretch in a year or two, but a) I started that reasoning from remembering not too many years ago when they would regularly pop up for <$20k, b) I'm not yet in a situation where I have somewhere to work on it myself or leave it parked waiting for parts, c) all the people on Rennlist say, "Yeah, I bought it for $25k, but put another $10k into it within a year to feel confident in it." I'm probably better off waiting a couple more decades until I can afford the GT2 I really want.

Anybody going to Rennsport Reunion at the end of September? Thinking about getting a 1-day ticket, the schedule advertises 959/Carrera GT/GT car parade laps every morning at 8AM. That would be cool to see.

Ether Frenzy posted:

The last photo of James Dean & the iconic Speedster was taken at a gas station a few blocks from my house.

It hadn't been a gas station for decades, I used to get flowers from the florist that inhabited the spot and was very surprised when I saw this photo/story as I had no idea it was in my 'hood. They tore it down a couple years ago and now it's a Whole Foods.

The remodeled rest stop on Highway 46 near where he crashed has a big blow-up of the crumpled-up car post-wreck. It's actually really morbid. I wish they'd used this instead.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'll be in California that week but unfortunately there for other business. Thinking about visiting the PEC to drive the GT4RS. It may be the only way I get to drive one.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Isn’t that $2-3K for 5 minutes of actual track time?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Why don’t you get a GTS 4l and braap around this whole time instead of waiting around for a RS allocation that probably won’t happen.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
That reminds me my friend with the orange GT4RS was going to let me drive it once it was broken in and I've been lazy/busy enough to not take him up on that yet.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Isn’t that $2-3K for 5 minutes of actual track time?

You get 90 minutes, most of which is spent driving. I drove the GTS 4.0 there and had a decent time. Value wise, it’s definitely not cheap, and you get a ton more at Porsche’s Racing school at barber.

Russian Bear posted:

Why don’t you get a GTS 4l and braap around this whole time instead of waiting around for a RS allocation that probably won’t happen.

I had a 981 cayman S for a while which was the perfect car in many ways. I feel dumb for selling it in retrospect. During Covid I passed up a GTS 4.0 allocation because I ended up getting itchy and buying a 993 which I still have. I can braap around in that. I’m not in a rush to buy anything.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I got a raise and am considering getting a 718, my 2nd car ever :dance:

My wants are manual transmission, decent handling and a nice interior/comfort. I like my current car (dodge challenger 2013) alright, but the black plastic interior is starting to inflict psychic damage. I have a couple of motorcycles so greater hp/torque of fancier Porsche models doesn't appeal all that much.

Here's the config I made

Thoughts / comments? Is there anything I should know about Porsche ownership in advance? Any tips on dealers?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

What is the inventory/stock situation like now?

Friend of mine locally went to order a 911 albeit late last year and the dealer basically laughed at him.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Id consider the cayman T if you are getting the base motor, may save $ on options, but that interior looks so good.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

pokie posted:

My wants are manual transmission, decent handling and a nice interior/comfort.

Thoughts / comments? Is there anything I should know about Porsche ownership in advance? Any tips on dealers?

If you want a nice interior, you have to wait for the refresh for the Boxster/Cayman. The current interior debuted in the 2009 Panamera and is, to say it politely, showing it's age.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

MrLogan posted:

If you want a nice interior, you have to wait for the refresh for the Boxster/Cayman. The current interior debuted in the 2009 Panamera and is, to say it politely, showing it's age.

Interesting. I kinda like it? Do we have any idea when that might be?

E: VVV I am a huge fan of physical interface as well.

pokie fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 2, 2023

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

MrLogan posted:

I'm leaning the other way, the new interior design has a bunch of piano black glossy surfaces and touchscreen style buttons rather than physical ones, and does away with physical gauges other than the central tach.

Give me my buttons and gauges back. I like when it's augmented with LED displays but not replaced with.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

MrLogan posted:

Yeah you have it backwards, better get it now before they make you interact with more lovely screens.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

pokie posted:

My wants are manual transmission, decent handling and a nice interior/comfort. I like my current car (dodge challenger 2013) alright, but the black plastic interior is starting to inflict psychic damage. I have a couple of motorcycles so greater hp/torque of fancier Porsche models doesn't appeal all that much.

Here's the config I made

I have a 2023 Boxster T. This spec mostly looks fine. I personally prefer PDK, and recommend you drive both. Base model Cayman will be very fun to drive. Sit in the various seats if you can. Leather interior is very nice. Get the extended fuel tank. The base sound system is weak, the Bose apparently is worth getting. Sport Chrono option is slightly more than a $2600 clock, it actually includes active engine mounts, and so could be considered a performance option, however there is virtually no info out there as to whether its worthwhile. A GTS will be vastly more desirable to many people.

The Boxster/Cayman T has been discontinued, due to being possibly the least popular variant ever. Boxster/Cayman T have no special lightening, GT3/4 parts, or performance. They are a base model with standard PTV, PASM, and Sport Chrono, plus some cosmetic touches. I bought a T because it was available in the color I wanted now, the only thing I missed out on were ventilated seats and the Bose stereo (and the latter probably due to chip shortages).

As for dealers and ordering, it sucks. Dealers are still riding high on 2.5 years of Covid car madness. Ordering a car, especially as a first time purchaser for a base model Cayman will not be a fast ordeal. Expect to wait 1 year or more for the car if you don't luck out into somehow getting an allocation when ordering. As a concrete example, a friend just got his Cayman GTS in July, he ordered it with an allocation in November. My recommendation is to watch https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/search/718?model=718&category=718-cayman&model-generation=982 across the whole country, or at least your area. Cars for dealer stock sometimes show up here before dealer's websites, it's how I got my Boxster T. If you're in California I can comment on various dealers.

An example: This Cayman S is the only new Racing Yellow model in Caliornia at the moment, and it's PDK.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Get a 2004 986 S, imo. Perfect amount of buttons/dials/gauges.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Aquila posted:

I have a 2023 Boxster T. This spec mostly looks fine. I personally prefer PDK, and recommend you drive both. Base model Cayman will be very fun to drive. Sit in the various seats if you can. Leather interior is very nice. Get the extended fuel tank. The base sound system is weak, the Bose apparently is worth getting. Sport Chrono option is slightly more than a $2600 clock, it actually includes active engine mounts, and so could be considered a performance option, however there is virtually no info out there as to whether its worthwhile. A GTS will be vastly more desirable to many people.

The Boxster/Cayman T has been discontinued, due to being possibly the least popular variant ever. Boxster/Cayman T have no special lightening, GT3/4 parts, or performance. They are a base model with standard PTV, PASM, and Sport Chrono, plus some cosmetic touches. I bought a T because it was available in the color I wanted now, the only thing I missed out on were ventilated seats and the Bose stereo (and the latter probably due to chip shortages).

As for dealers and ordering, it sucks. Dealers are still riding high on 2.5 years of Covid car madness. Ordering a car, especially as a first time purchaser for a base model Cayman will not be a fast ordeal. Expect to wait 1 year or more for the car if you don't luck out into somehow getting an allocation when ordering. As a concrete example, a friend just got his Cayman GTS in July, he ordered it with an allocation in November. My recommendation is to watch https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/search/718?model=718&category=718-cayman&model-generation=982 across the whole country, or at least your area. Cars for dealer stock sometimes show up here before dealer's websites, it's how I got my Boxster T. If you're in California I can comment on various dealers.

An example: This Cayman S is the only new Racing Yellow model in Caliornia at the moment, and it's PDK.

If I wanted auto, I would have gone with a Taycan. But I did just come back from a test ride on a PDK Cayman. I will try my friend's older manual Porsche in 2-3 weeks or so. I did try 3 different seats - manual sport one and both of the electronic versions. I told the guy I will need to test ride cars with both sport and sport plus to be sure. I am a relatively lean dude, so sport plus might be a better fit, but it did feel a bit odd. I do like the seats waaaay better than the bucket seats in my dodge. The head rest felt superb. The one thing that surprised me about the test ride is that slamming on the gas didn't have an immediate response like in my dumb muscle car (in sport mode). The salesman told me it was a turbo thing - confirm/deny?

I don't care about the sound system at all. I don't listen to music in a car. Yeah, yeah, I am weird. I am a half-decent amateur musician and I prefer to have powered speakers at home.

What _is_ the sport chrono option? And what are active engine mounts?

I am going with yellow color which is fine, but they don't really offer a color i want on any of the models. I might just get it wrapped. I like this BMW M3 color.

Another question on options - they told me that front and read Porsche dash cams are about $2100. What the everliving gently caress?! $160 cam I have is plenty good enough. Is it possible to use the Porsche dash cam prep work to install an off-brand camera?

I put a refundable deposit for an allocation at the dealer. I am first in line and they expect one with a couple of months or so. They did have an option for Cayman S, but I don't really want to spend more for more HP. I am in Portland, OR area right now so my options are Portland or Seattle. I don't know if it's just this dealer or Porsche in general, but this guy said they don't charge over MSRP... which is fine. Also I am ok waiting 6 months - gives me more time to accumulate cash.

E: I can't get extended gas tank because it requires PDK for some reason.

pokie fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 3, 2023

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I rented a base Boxster with PDK for a couple of weeks last year, I would get the manual box personally. The PDK in normal mode constantly tries to get into the highest gear which then sucks in a small turbo engine.

If you did get PDK you really want Sport Chrono for switching to different drive modes.

I wouldn't bother getting the 18-way seats, the 4-way sports plus seats are great. Likewise the full leather interior is nice and the ~natural leather~ a waste of a couple of thousand for not very much unless you really like the colour.

Not sure if it's standard in the US but make sure you get Carplay, over here both that and navigation are options and nav is expensive.

Re the interior I have a Taycan which is of course all touchscreens, it works totally fine. Everything that needs to be on a stalk or the wheel, is.

Post the Porsche code for the car too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I am 1000% getting manual.

Yep, I was pleasantly surprised by how nice the manual seats were.

I think carplay or the like must be standard? I cannot find an option for it.

Unfortunately I do like the poop brown leather a lot.

Where do I get said code? The screenshot above is all I can get from their website, it doesn't spit out anything else that I could find.