Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

VomitOnLino posted:

The only thing they gave up were their actual activists, to the police

The purpose of the thing is what it does etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Skios posted:

Steve Breen

:flashfap:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Go back to D&D

New page but you know who you are

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

look at all these dopes driving through floodwater! why don't they just go around?

oh.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I figure the first billion people killed by climate change will mostly be poor, elderly, or very young, and in the Global South. That's unlikely to describe readers of this thread. After that, it gets harder to predict who'll be next. The ongoing drought in East Africa has killed an estimated 250,000 people, and they're all victims of the oil companies that fought to make sure this would happen.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

umm those catastrophic weather events are happening in other countries, why should I be worried.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

smoobles posted:

umm those catastrophic weather events are happening in other countries, why should I be worried.

two months later

smoobles posted:

umm those catastrophic weather events are happening in other states, why should I be worried.

three months later

smoobles posted:

umm those catastrophic weather events are happening in other cities, why should I be worried.

two weeks later

smoobles posted:

umm those catastrophic weather events are happening in other neighbourhoods, why should I be worried.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

look, my phone is charged and ready to (vertically) record my own climate death for reddit points

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

yeah biden and his agencies should just ignore court orders

The court has made their ruling, now let's see them enforce it

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Cold on a Cob posted:

two months later

three months later

two weeks later

Reminds me of that quote about the ancient egyptian pharoah's glorious 'victories' in battle getting ever closer to the capital

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Which means a shorter distance over which to handle logistics. The Pharoah is a strategic genius.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Just a Moron posted:

The court has made their ruling, now let's see them enforce it

yeah, righties up to and including toop ignore court orders pretty regularly

content: https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/other/texas-lake-water-level-plummets-to-unprecedented-low-as-drought-rages-on/ar-AA1g2inr

quote:

Texas Lake Water Level Plummets to Unprecedented Low As Drought Rages On

"Over this summer, we've observed (and continue to observe) a significant drawdown of available water storage due to excessive grass watering and landscape irrigation," Larry Jackson, the director of customer service and communications for Texas Water Company told local outlet MySA.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

welcome to a world called gor *whipcrack*

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Weaponized climate change to squelch the BRICS and global south.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SixteenShells posted:

california ignored SCOTUS orders to reduce their prison population for years while Harris was the state attorney general. eventually they had to comply but they came really loving close to answering that question of "what if we just told the courts to gently caress off". the people running the country as we speak, are no stranger to playing fast and loose with what the court says. the question is what policies they do that in service of. so far the answer is "policies of cruelty".

You’re allowed to do it if you’re loving over poor people. They will send in tanks if you defy an order to the detriment of rich people

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1697227060543189367

boo

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Chamale posted:

I figure the first billion people killed by climate change will mostly be poor, elderly, or very young, and in the Global South. That's unlikely to describe readers of this thread. After that, it gets harder to predict who'll be next.

It'll be the next in line of the poor/elderly/very young lists

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

SixteenShells posted:

california ignored SCOTUS orders to reduce their prison population for years while Harris was the state attorney general. eventually they had to comply but they came really loving close to answering that question of "what if we just told the courts to gently caress off". the people running the country as we speak, are no stranger to playing fast and loose with what the court says. the question is what policies they do that in service of. so far the answer is "policies of cruelty".

Washington State was unconstitutionally underfunding its public education system for eleven years before finally meeting the letter of the law long enough to get the state supreme court case dismissed

You can literally just do whatever the gently caress you want as long as it doesn't hurt the rich

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Ohio is never ever going to pass maps that aren't ridiculously gerrymandered for the GOP legislature and no one else is ever going to draw the maps for them.

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

CODChimera posted:

I hope I get obliterated in the hypercane. I feel like that would be a pretty cool way to die

Pinned against an abandoned McDonald's drive thru by wind gusts watching a 2006 Ford focus sail through the air towards me in the last moments I think "This feels right"

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Seatbelts posted:

Pinned against an abandoned McDonald's drive thru by wind gusts watching a 2026 Tesla Cybertruck sail through the air towards me in the last moments I think "love the car"

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

that is better

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

You'll have several minutes to appreciate elon musk's sense of aesthetics after being surgically bisected by the cybertruck's katana-like front bumper and 10,000 curb weight

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
The world is even dumber than I had imagined with the phasing out of ICE cars for electric

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

drat it. Better call my bookie

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

number is not pleased

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Blue ocean event is just another version of wet bulb hysteria :o:

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

it's the ocean it's supposed to be blue

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I want to see a sub-800 mb hurricane before I die. :colbert:

Edit:

Forget the above, I want a HYPERCANE

FlapYoJacks has issued a correction as of 23:15 on Aug 31, 2023

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

FlapYoJacks posted:

I want to see a sub-800 mb hurricane before I die. :colbert:

Edit:

Forget the above, I want a HYPERCANE

A hypercane is a hypothetical class of extreme tropical cyclone that could form if sea surface temperatures reached approximately 50 °C (122 °F), which is 13 °C (23 °F) warmer than the warmest ocean temperature ever recorded.[1]

Someone needs to update that article. Only 21 more degrees to go.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Chamale posted:

I figure the first billion people killed by climate change will mostly be poor, elderly, or very young, and in the Global South. That's unlikely to describe readers of this thread. After that, it gets harder to predict who'll be next. The ongoing drought in East Africa has killed an estimated 250,000 people, and they're all victims of the oil companies that fought to make sure this would happen.

the more you line up the ipcc maps and google earth and the major 'collapse-ish' headlines (droughts, famines, civil wars, coups), the more it looks like basically ww3 has already kicked off in the sahel.

exactly in the places the IPCC predicted would be worst impacted, from senegal to somalia, there have been something like three civil wars, four coups, and a famine kicked off in the last 12 - 18 months. well deep into the hundreds of thousands already dead, and not only no signs of it stopping, there's lots of signs of it escalating in the near term (the french). in the long term, we all know what the next 20 years worth of warming looks like, even in the most optimistic scenario things are getting much worse from here.

essentially we're at the point where the first bullets/artillery-shells of our climate emissions impact have started landing and are killing people en-masse. we're active participants in an ongoing and escalating holocaust!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Chamale posted:

A hypercane is a hypothetical class of extreme tropical cyclone that could form if sea surface temperatures reached approximately 50 °C (122 °F), which is 13 °C (23 °F) warmer than the warmest ocean temperature ever recorded.[1]

Someone needs to update that article. Only 21 more degrees to go.

[Bad News Biosphere thread]

Me: [chanting] Hypercane, hyper-
Other posters: Hypercane, HYPERCANE
Mods: [Pounding the probe button] HYPERCANE, HYPERCANE, HYPERCANE!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

MightyBigMinus posted:

the more you line up the ipcc maps and google earth and the major 'collapse-ish' headlines (droughts, famines, civil wars, coups), the more it looks like basically ww3 has already kicked off in the sahel.

exactly in the places the IPCC predicted would be worst impacted, from senegal to somalia, there have been something like three civil wars, four coups, and a famine kicked off in the last 12 - 18 months. well deep into the hundreds of thousands already dead, and not only no signs of it stopping, there's lots of signs of it escalating in the near term (the french). in the long term, we all know what the next 20 years worth of warming looks like, even in the most optimistic scenario things are getting much worse from here.

essentially we're at the point where the first bullets/artillery-shells of our climate emissions impact have started landing and are killing people en-masse. we're active participants in an ongoing and escalating holocaust!

Not me. I'm not an active participant. I put my coffee grounds in the green compost bin!

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

A mistake in the assumption of that graph could be that a BOE would be just a continuation of the trends in a diminished capacity, just below the red line, which means another 5+ years of downward trends to eventually get there around 2030.

That doesn't really account for any kind of system collapse or abrupt tipping points.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Seatbelts posted:

Pinned against an abandoned McDonald's drive thru by wind gusts watching a 2006 Ford focus sail through the air towards me in the last moments I think "This feels right"

corona familiar posted:

Seatbelts posted:

Pinned against an abandoned McDonald's drive thru by wind gusts watching a 2026 Tesla Cybertruck sail through the air towards me in the last moments I think "love the car"

FlapYoJacks posted:

[Bad News Biosphere thread]

Me: [chanting] Hypercane, hyper-
Other posters: Hypercane, HYPERCANE
Mods: [Pounding the probe button] HYPERCANE, HYPERCANE, HYPERCANE!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

lol