Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
If Bethesda history is any indication Starfield is going to launch and have a ton of weird dumb problems that a handful of QoL mods will fix and make vastly better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I expect the gameplay level jank to be similar to previous releases but the software level jank to be improved (less crashes and broken poo poo, same old script glitches and weird AI quirks)

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Volte posted:

I expect the gameplay level jank to be similar to previous releases but the software level jank to be improved (less crashes and broken poo poo, same old script glitches and weird AI quirks)

:emptyquote:ing

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Orv posted:

There was that DOA Robin Hood asymmetric PvP game from a year or two ago but until this new one I can’t think of any others.

Hood: Outlaws & Legends

I had a heck of a time with finding out what it was called until I remembered that the lady who voices Diana Burnwood in the Hitman trilogy narrated the trailer(s?) for that one. What a ridiculous detail to discover that.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've been having another weird controller issue with remote play together that I figured I'd ask here about, essentially whenever I join my friend's game my controller shows up as two controllers through the steam interface. I was able to play before without that issue, and if he joins my game it works fine for both of us, but this kind of cropped up out of nowhere and I have no idea why. And again with this issue google has been no help because I haven't been able to figure out the right combination of words to enter into google to look this up and not find dozens of articles and forum posts asking how to use two controllers through steam remote play. I don't have any third party controller interfaces like DS4 Windows or anything like that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Propaganda Hour posted:

I don't even know how much of this to put on Embracer. poo poo has been dire at Volition for a while. They had 3 major releases in 10 years, one of them was middling and the other two were straight up bad.

I’m honestly surprised they survived Agents of Mayhem but maybe that sold juuuuust enough. Or maybe Embracers pending deal with (allegedly) Saudi Arabia was enough to keep them around until that fell apart too. Regardless of their quality it still loving sucks though.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
Pouring out a 40 for Volition, mostly for the memory of IdolNinja :smith:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

So I'm playing Brütal Legend for the first time and I reached the first real RTS mission where I have most of the mechanics and I'm so frustrated. My units just stand around in the spawn doing nothing even though I have attack orders active. How the heck do I control my units here??? There's no indication when they are ready, no indication of their health, what they're doing, nothing. What a lovely interface an RTS-like. I enjoy actual RTS games, but this just isn't it.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 31, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

human of smells posted:

HYENAS closed beta keys.

I played a couple rounds of this and.. it's actually alright? The zero-g stuff is a neat gimmick and I think the art style is kinda fun.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sininu posted:

So I'm playing Brütal Legend for the first time and I reached the first real RTS mission where I have most of the mechanics and I'm so frustrated. My units just stand around in the spawn doing nothing even though I have attack orders active. How the heck do I control my units here??? There's no indication when they are ready, no indication of their health, what they're doing, nothing. What a lovely interface an RTS-like. I enjoy actual RTS games, but this just isn't it.

It's been a long time since I 100% that game on the x360 but from what I remember the RTS is barely worthy of the name, you kind of want to just mass your troops and have Eddie flying around and designating the attack targets while using him to attack the enemies as well.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sininu posted:

Surprise! (not a surprise at all) Brutal Legend was always bad

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

PowerWash Simulator has three new bonus jobs now

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Orv posted:

Surprise! (not a surprise at all) Brutal Legend was always bad

It had such an amazing premise, great art style, great music, great voice acting, but that RTS gameplay is just AWFUL. I feel like if they had just gone with Zelda/Darksiders style of gameplay it could have been amazing.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Hwurmp posted:

Shower With Your Dad Simulator crossover when

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, quick question - how's The Last of Us Part 1 these days? Does it still perform horribly?

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

it's insane how badly they hosed up brutal legend

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Orv posted:

There was that DOA Robin Hood asymmetric PvP game from a year or two ago but until this new one I can’t think of any others.

Only one I can think of is Sherwood Builders, a game I saw a trailer for and wishlisted because I'm an absolute freak for open world survival craft games, just absolute filth, but it seems to be vaporware

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I think the RTS missions are the less bad part of Brutal Legend. They are awful, but the stuff where you are repetitively driving and meleeing are even worse.

Real shame.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

It had such an amazing premise, great art style, great music, great voice acting, but that RTS gameplay is just AWFUL. I feel like if they had just gone with Zelda/Darksiders style of gameplay it could have been amazing.

Maaaaaaaan that was such a loving rugpull that they added the stupid bad rts poo poo.

Die in the DUngeon has a free version on itch.io, I really like it a lot.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Reportedly the game cost over $100 million, I think without accounting for marketing.

how

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

teethgrinder posted:

I'd kill for more Hardspace: Shipbreaker content

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, quick question - how's The Last of Us Part 1 these days? Does it still perform horribly?

It's been getting significant patches since release and recent benchmark videos have shown decent performance improvements over the launch version. Steam reviews over the last few months are a lot more positive, the major issues appear to have been mostly sorted out and recent patches are now focused more on fixes to specific parts of the story instead of a larger project of trying to get the underlying engine working. Last patch was a week ago so they're still working on it which is commendable, the launch went so poorly that I was half expecting them to write it off and move on.

Still on my wishlist and it appears stable enough now to warrant more serious consideration. The game has been released like five times across different consoles and generations and I've still never played it in any form.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

It's been getting significant patches since release and recent benchmark videos have shown decent performance improvements over the launch version. Steam reviews over the last few months are a lot more positive, the major issues appear to have been mostly sorted out and recent patches are now focused more on fixes to specific parts of the story instead of a larger project of trying to get the underlying engine working. Last patch was a week ago so they're still working on it which is commendable, the launch went so poorly that I was half expecting them to write it off and move on.

Still on my wishlist and it appears stable enough now to warrant more serious consideration. The game has been released like five times across different consoles and generations and I've still never played it in any form.

Same - I've managed to dodge it (and spoilers) over the years without even trying, so I'm interested in jumping on it, now that it's on PC/Steam and has a slight discount. Good to hear its performance isn't so bad, now!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

oh a couple more release date announcements I missed:

- LunarLux on September 25th
- Tower Unite added a new gamemode called Slaughterday Night Live, seems to be a Q3/UT style multiplayer arena shooter
- Relentless Frontier early access window set for Q1 2024
- Powerwash Simulator updated today with 3 new levels
- A Little to the Left free DLC today, 'The Deep Clean Update' adds 3 new levels and puzzle types

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Major Isoor posted:

I played through the Last of Us - Part 1 just last week. I only had a single graphical issue with the game, where new parts of the scene would flash white once when going through a door or turning a corner, some issue with loading is my guess. This happened between 5-10 times throughout the entire game. I didn't find it to be a problem. It also took around 45 minutes to generate shaders when I first launched the game. Other than that I had no bugs or performance issues with a RTX 3070 Ti.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
TMNT dlc is cool. but I have terminal TMNT poisoning and they added Karai, so maybe I'm biased

Haven't tried the Tower Unite update yet but it sounds cool. looking forward to workshop maps so I can play a new version of facing worlds

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Sininu posted:

So I'm playing Brütal Legend for the first time and I reached the first real RTS mission where I have most of the mechanics and I'm so frustrated. ... I enjoy actual RTS games, but this just isn't it.

You kind of already said it I think - it's not a 'proper' RTS, or at least it doesn't act like one. In my experience the key to enjoying the stage battles is to embrace chaos. Don't try and make sense of it too much, just throw units at your enemy and join in the melee with your axe/guitar. Theoretically once you get more types of units there are ways to play it more elegantly with actual strategy and tactics but most of that info's buried in the tour manual and the game just never gives you the feedback you need so few players ever get to that level of play. You mostly have to assess the situation visually while running around.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've heard so many people knock the "RTS" parts of Brutal Legend, but I went into the game totally blind and really enjoyed all of it. The big war arenas never gave me any issues at all, and the hardest part of the game was figuring out what they meant by "the horns" as I'm not a metal fan.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Finished the Golden Idol DLC. It only took a couple hours like the other DLC, but it was another great set of mysteries and absolutely worth the :fivecbux:.

Play The Case of the Golden Idol, y'all.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

Reality Break (Q1 2024): Top-down spaceship shooter ARPG. Finally, someone other than Drox Operative in this genre??? Got some Chorvs feel too with the spaceship powers. But it is a roguelite, so it must perish. Demo available now.

I want this game a whole lot, even if it has to be a roguelite.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I picked up Miles Morales because it's on a pretty deep sale right now and drat that's a fun game. The first one was a good port too but I'm still amazed at being able to run this game in 4k with everything maxed and the RTX on and it's no problem at all.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Sininu posted:

iirc the rts system was little more than sending the attack signal to enemy towers once you got a decent doomstack.
I don't think I ever used more than "attack [enemy infrastructure] (red light)", "gather doomstack at X", or "defend [infrastructure the enemy AI is focusing on] (green light?)

defending was almost never necessary except the very start of the fight. Or if you're skirmishing but holy hell why would you play that mode

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Hwurmp posted:

Its the only game I keep installed after 100%ing just for the bonus content like this.
Spent 2-3 hours on the Gnome Fountain, they are huge this time.
Just hurry the gently caress up with the Warhammer update, want so to clean down a Land Raider or Baneblade.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Shower With Your Dad Simulator crossover when

please do not shower with a power washer

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

please do not shower with a power washer

weak

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

water jet cutters clean more efficiently

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

When doing Brutal Legend's RTS stuff the trick is to just fly up and land in the middle of a big group of enemies and then do the face melter solo and then fly back up until it recharges. Rinse and repeat.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Finished the Golden Idol DLC. It only took a couple hours like the other DLC, but it was another great set of mysteries and absolutely worth the :fivecbux:.

Play The Case of the Golden Idol, y'all.
Just finished it myself, and while I enjoyed it, it ended up being the first time I had to use a guide due to getting tunnel vision over a very specific word choice that wasn't strictly incorrect but wasn't the answer the game wanted.

Still good if you enjoyed the rest of the game, though I think I preferred the first DLC.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Bad Seafood posted:

Just finished it myself, and while I enjoyed it, it ended up being the first time I had to use a guide due to getting tunnel vision over a very specific word choice that wasn't strictly incorrect but wasn't the answer the game wanted.

Still good if you enjoyed the rest of the game, though I think I preferred the first DLC.

The first dlc was definitely better. The gifts panel in the second case was confusing and bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah the second mission on the first DLC was one of the best ones in the game, despite falling a flat on the 3rd one (1st was also good).

I didn't like how the final mission on the second DLC had SO many blanks in the scrolls. The second got a bit too complicated for my tastes as well, I think the right solution only came when I started doing "try everything" in the gifts panel. Then I went "Wait, THAT happened??"