Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

pro starcraft loser posted:

Does it still say Sept 6 on the steam game page even if you bought and loaded the premium?

Yes and will continue to even when the play button becomes available in three and a half hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I just watched an hour of this and I'm sorry I called Cyberpunk 2077 a bland looter shooter.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah.

Basically the way it works is that every character now has a set of 'hp'. You're given the choice between a variety of different options that 'reduce' that HP, ranked from green to red. Green do the least damage but have the highest chance of success, red are vice-versa. You have 3 'turns' to defeat the enemy but if you succeed on your third turn then you can keep going until you fail. Most of the time these are basically random lines of dialogue but occasionally you can get special auto-win ones from other events/logs/etc. You also can fill up a bar that lets you auto-win one persuasion that you can hold on to.

wtf they stole the conversation system from highfleet????

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
and to think you people doubted Chris Roberts, this game is actually releasing and its going to be good !!

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

If there is no vats, is there at least bullet time or something of the sort? Shooting completely unassisted wasn't great even in FO4, i.e. the "good" Bethesda shooter

At max rank, boost pack training unlocks a bullet time feature when aiming while hovering

Keep in mind ranking up skills requires you to complete a side objective or quest for each rank apparently. Can't just hoard points and drop it all in at once

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gyoru posted:

At max rank, boost pack training unlocks a bullet time feature when aiming while hovering

There is also (minor spoiler)

A Power that lets you slow down time for a short period of time. Probably the most powerful one in the game..

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

ImpAtom posted:

This game is chaste as poo poo. Maybe it was coming right from BG3 but it was amazing how incredibly sexless everything is.

Maybe they figured out the modders will take care of all of that for them so they didn't bother.

What the gently caress...

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
There has not ever been a non chaste Bethsada rpg lol.

Lovers Lab will have you covered and add in your space brothels.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'm actually glad the game isn't a horrendously unfunny sex comedy.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Thom12255 posted:

How improved is Outpost building over Fallout 4 settlements, ImpAtom? Is it fun to interact with?

It's probably as good as the game Outpost 2 by Sierra

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Eh, caqs has existed since Fallout 3, and tends to make the games crash.

Catch me suckin caq

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I'm actually glad the game isn't a horrendously unfunny sex comedy.

Is this in reference to something specific?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm gonna mod anime titties onto my spaceship

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Rinkles posted:

Not necessarily, but have you ever heard of Dragon Age 2?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

posting this to quote later when I remap the default keys and none of the sub-menus or special case prompts respect the changed buttons making the entire gameplay experience loving aggravating

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

steinrokkan posted:

If there is no vats, is there at least bullet time or something of the sort? Shooting completely unassisted wasn't great even in FO4, i.e. the "good" Bethesda shooter

Bethesda owns and publishes modern DOOM, Wolfenstein, and Deathloop. They have enough shooter development experience by now to know at least the basics of good fps shootin’

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Rinkles posted:

Nah, just generally tired of people who can't tell jokes telling bad jokes in games, more of a general problem with the way they're written than anything specific, but sex jokes are just especially bad because like the majority of them boil down to "LOL THESE PEOPLE ARE DOING WEIRD SEX poo poo ISNT THAT FUNNY"

E: Also like the weird rear end self-aware pandering in poo poo like Atomic Heart where they deliberately try to play up the horny for marketing points.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I just wanted to kiss my ship

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

3 hours to go.

BRB Going to mow the lawn so I don't have to on the weekend.
Also going to poo poo, shave and shower so I don't have to on the weekend.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Bethesda owns and publishes modern DOOM, Wolfenstein, and Deathloop. They have enough shooter development experience by now to know at least the basics of good fps shootin’

I mean different development teams on a different engine with different priorities.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

So for story-maxxing, the perks are probably what… the one that gives you a family? And the adoring fan? And I wonder what else gives you more quests, maybe the Dream home one?

I’m gonna play this once, no NG+ for me. It’s (hopefully) one good story and done, and going to be a talky guy

ImpAtom posted:

I mean different development teams on a different engine with different priorities.

I know they’re different teams, but it would seem silly not to share some knowledge or team members for certain design blocks of the game? I dunno how they handle it, but if you own Doom, it would make sense to recruit some dudes from that team.

Just sayin, when you see Bethesda, the brand doesn’t just mean “big RPG with mediocre combat” anymore, it also means Doom/wolfenstein

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 31, 2023

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Kaddish posted:

Where the heck is shillups review

He gave a bad score (well, bad writeup) of Deathloop and Fallout 76 and Wolfenstein YoungBlood and Redfall. All Bethesda published games. Hell he eviscerated the last three. So... yeah. no key for him.

For context, I have seen youtubers with less than 10k subs uploading their impressions today, while he has almost 1 million subs. Blacklist'ed

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So for story-maxxing, the perks are probably what… the one that gives you a family? And the adoring fan? And I wonder what else gives you more quests, maybe the Dream home one?

I’m gonna play this once, no NG+ for me. It’s (hopefully) one good story and done, and going to be a talky guy

For story min-maxing it's probably UC Citizenship or Freespace citizenship, Family and your choice of religion.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

The one that gives you a family, Kid Stuff, is getting lots of praise in reviews I've read. Apparently, your parents have a lot of dialog, and can show up in surprising places.

I don't know if the Adoring Fan is as in-depth. Sounds like he might be best for doing hard labor on a distant moon.

I personally plan on Kid Stuff, a faction origin, and a religion origin.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I heard some people say Starfield sucks and it's bad?

Orv
May 4, 2011

smoobles posted:

Worst game since Daikatana

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Can you pull wrestling moves on people using hand-to-hand?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

For story min-maxing it's probably UC Citizenship or Freespace citizenship, Family and your choice of religion.

William Bear posted:

The one that gives you a family, Kid Stuff, is getting lots of praise in reviews I've read. Apparently, your parents have a lot of dialog, and can show up in surprising places.

I don't know if the Adoring Fan is as in-depth. Sounds like he might be best for doing hard labor on a distant moon.

I personally plan on Kid Stuff, a faction origin, and a religion origin.

Danke, danke, glad to skip the adoring fan :v: Not crazy about making my guy religious so I’ll try the citizenship/faction perk

Btw I was looking at the Starfield headphones and goddamn it, they look real nice. Todd! :argh:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

smoobles posted:

It's insanely bad, I cant wait to play!!!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

He gave a bad score (well, bad writeup) of Deathloop and Fallout 76 and Wolfenstein YoungBlood and Redfall. All Bethesda published games. Hell he eviscerated the last three. So... yeah. no key for him.

For context, I have seen youtubers with less than 10k subs uploading their impressions today, while he has almost 1 million subs. Blacklist'ed

it's cuz those games are bad OP

(it'd be more of a bummer if I wasn't buying this anyway, he's more useful for stuff I'm on the fence about because his tastes are very close to an exact match for my own)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Bethesda claimed the Doom team helped out on Fallout 76 and we all know how well that worked

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

George Sex - REAL posted:

I just wanted to kiss my ship

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
wait is there really no 60 fps mode even on the X? wtf they are seriously targeting 30 fps in 2023 gently caress me those lazy toffs

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

smoobles posted:

I've heard that Todd Howard is at it again

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

victrix posted:

it's cuz those games are bad OP

(it'd be more of a bummer if I wasn't buying this anyway, he's more useful for stuff I'm on the fence about because his tastes are very close to an exact match for my own)

Yungblood was fine, flawed, but lots of good stuff and an interesting jump in the story. I had to turn down the difficulty because some enemies were just extreme bullet sponges, but it was a fine game.

Deathloop seems good but I dropped it, will play later, and Fallout 76 was absolutely borked at release so that’s understandable(I hear they fixed it by now, somewhat). Redfall, yikes

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
only 30 frames game dead.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Captain Beans posted:

wait is there really no 60 fps mode even on the X? wtf they are seriously targeting 30 fps in 2023 gently caress me those lazy toffs

weird that the series x didn't magically become more powerful this year

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

So I will say I don't agree with this particular bit.

For me the thing that I disliked most about Starfield was the way the exploration is handled. In Skyrim or Fallout I can go "Oh, neat, I want to go over that way" and maybe I'd find something. In Starfield it is "Okay, I am going to click on this planet. Okay, the only interesting things on the planet are marked already 99% of the time. I click on one, land right next to it, do it and travel away. There is no reason whatsoever to go outside of this area unless the plot specifically tells me to."

I think that is going to be what is make or break for most people.

First, thanks for your writeup and posts, ImpAtom.

And this post in particular seems pretty insightful. I'd say half the appeal of Bethesda games is this kind of exploration, so it's pretty important if it has changed, and for the worse it seems.

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

Dexo posted:

only 30 frames game dead.

Since when do console players expect more than 30fps? Times are changing I tell ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Deathloop was boring as hell and was basically the biggest signifier that Redfall was gonna be rear end, well that and the fact that they only ever made one actually great game and that was Prey.